Megaman Fanbase 193 members · 75 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I'm gonna assume most of you know who Break Man is, and for those who don't here's a quick rundown.

Break Man is Proto Man, to be more precise, it's an alias used by Proto in 3.

Here's the concept art.

Anyway though, we're here to discuss the name, why Break Man?

This actually has some different interpretations throughout the fandom, some say it's because Proto is a broken robot, some say because he was simply meant to break Mega, some just think it sounds cool.

The one I personally like is the one set forth in the comic.

In the Spiritus Ex Machina arc (side note, the one I recommend you check out if you just want to test the waters, probably one of the best) Wily finds Ra Moon and uses it to reconstruct the masters from 2 as well as build the ones from 3.

Except for two, Shadow Man and Blues are found broken outside and they're fixed with it.

Wily says he never liked Blues' name, and suggests a different one, first he says Proto Man but Blues wasn't a fan.

Wily proceeds to say about how it needs to be something to break away from the past, and decided on just that Break Man.

I like this because of what Proto really represents, he's freedom at any cost.

Blues was, and still is a broken robot, his core will kill him but he refused to have it fixed, going so far as to runaway because that flaw is what gave him free will, and he feared that with it fixed, he would loose it.

Now, think about Break, Break is a servant of Wily, Break existed because Wily fixed Blues.

The past that Blues once held was basically gone for that game, he wasn't free, he was working for another.

Yes, one that saved his life, but the point remains, Break isn't as free as Blues.

The past that Blues worked so hard to preserve is broken, Break is not Blues.

Anyway, that's the one I like, feel free to post whatever opinions on the name you enjoy and your reason for it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1