Star Trek Ponies 502 members · 100 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

One word Money.

The parodies shows focus on what the original show and idea means. The budget for those shows thought are less because the producers are taking a risk.

The shows we seeing today are basically cash grabs. Using nostalgia to get older viewers, but trying to modernize and adding more drama, suspense, and gimmicks to get newer viewers. So they throw money at them to see what sticks. Forgetting the reason the Star Trek became a hit in the first place.

I've actually managed to watch all of Discovery season 1 recently and the STORY is actually pretty good, if taken as a whole. It's very story arc heavy rather than episodic as past series have been. However, their art department all need to be taken out back and shot. Especially for the 'klingons.' It's rather obvious the art guys wanted to do a whole new species but then were told they were using Klingons so they whined to the execs and convinced them to let them have their way...and then had to come up with stupid excuses when the fans mutinied. Though the Terran Empire stuff was pretty good in both story and looks. Also not too thrilled that they set this in the original timeline...but changed the Constitution class design again.

Also they complain about Discovery being the least watched Star Trek. Well, yeah, that's what happens when you put it on your new paywall streaming service that no one wants because they already have Netflix and/or Hulu, the former of which carries Discovery in countries outside the US, so everyone IN the US just sees through their money grubbing tactics and is even less inclined to sign up.

I wouldn't know much about parodies, but I don't think Star Trek got finer than DS9.

I have seen the critical acclaim that ST:D is receiving and want to watch it. Thing is, my funds are low enough as is, and I won't be able to see the series unless it hits syndication.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4