Star Trek Ponies 503 members · 101 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I want to know what you guys think of my main character and premise. Feedback would be helpful.

Captain Zh'iliket Piva adjusted her uniform as she stepped onto the Turbolift.

“Captain...” That title was going to take some getting used to. She was younger than most commanding officers her age, especially on a colony ship. She kept being told how lucky she was to be given a starship so young, but she resented that. She had earned that fourth pip on her collar despite two things that were against her.

First off, she was an Andorian. She had never encountered any prejudice toward her, that wasn't the problem. The problem was that she had been surrounded by humans for most of her adult life. And humans weren't bad people, they were just... smug. Going on and on about how proud they were, and how evolved they were. The federation was Humanity's idea, don't forget. Humanity had to settle a dispute between the Andorians and the Tellarites in order to even get things going. There was never any malice in any of this, they were simply that pleased with themselves. So many other species felt like they needed to work extra hard in order to even be noticed.

Secondly, she was a woman (well, a Zhen, but that was hard to explain to a binary gendered species). Any Federation citizen would be loathed to admit it, but it was still a factor. Males of any species seemed to treat her with kid gloves. She was short for an Andorian, about 1.6 meters, and she didn't cut all too imposing of a figure. Her record however, spoke for itself. So any male she first met would seem to be at war with themselves. Trying not to patronize her, while simultaneously beating back the evolutionary response their species had for protecting females. She could protect herself. There was a crew of a Breen ship that could attest to that.

She adjusted her dress reds again. She only had to wear a dress uniform once before, and she hated it then, too. Humans made these uniforms, and even they found them too damned uncomfortable. The minute she could slip back into her normal uniform the better.

Alright, it wasn't the uniform. This new assignment was enough to make anyone uncomfortable. Piva had suddenly become more famous than she ever wanted to be. And it started as these things always do, with a human tripping over something.

A wormhole had been discovered near the planet Bajor some fifty years ago, and after dealing with the threat that lay on the other side, they decided to study it. Hoping that they would eventually be able to create a stable wormhole of their own, thus avoiding problems like the Voyager incident. The first test did not go well. A fleet of fifty ships went into the wormhole, and never came out. Luckily, they decided to press on, and the technology was perfected. Allowing the Federation the ability to explore every quadrant of the galaxy with quick routes home. If you could find a Way-In Station (Piva didn't understand the name. Some human pun).

It was in a study of the Delta Quadrant that they found something. Something big. Both in terms of size and importance. It was five times as large as the biggest Federation space stations, and had been left derelict for milennia. Somehow, however, the device was still functional... And what it did was frankly astonishing.

It seemed to be a gigantic Way-In, but when a probe was sent through, it wasn't in any quadrant of the galaxy... Or, at least, any quadrant of this galaxy. This device had somehow managed to create a stable gate to the Milky Way's neighbor.

For the first time, they had caught a glimpse of Andromeda.

The Engineers back at Starfleet HQ had nicknamed it “Helen of Troy.” Piva thought that was appropriate. The face that launched a thousand ships. Ten thousand, if the hype was to be believed. And not just Federation ships. Cardassians, Klingons and Ferenghi had all come together in a joint effort to explore this new frontier. The treaties and agreements had been signed, and now thousands of ships were poised on the brink of stepping into a new galaxy.

And by luck of the paperwork, her ship would be poised at the very head of the pack. She would be in command of the first manned vessel to step into another galaxy. The prospect would be intimidating for any CO, but since this would be her first command. She was terrified, but refused to show it.

The Turbolift came to a halt and opened wide into a drydock hallway. Piva circled her antennae and heard muttering and exasperated footsteps approaching her. She smiled and turned to meet her First Officer. Holding a pad and looking very perturbed.

“I am honored you are choosing me as first officer,” he panted, holding up a pad. “As First Officer I am relieving you of command because you have clearly gone insane.”

Piva laughed softly. “Hello, Jack.”

An outsider might see this as insubordination on the part of Jack Harris, but they didn't understand the history. The two had been friends for years, and came up through Starfleet Academy together. Piva was always getting them both into trouble, while Harris kept Piva grounded. Both of them were thankful for the other, although they would rarely admit it. Such was the way with siblings, and Jack really was like a brother to her. She had been the Maid of Honor at Harris's wedding, and Harris took on the complicated role of witness in the forming of her Bondgroup.

No... She liked Harris's word for it better. Family.

“This...” He held up the pad. “Is the crew manifold. I've got two names I want you to explain to me.”

Piva nodded. “Walk and talk,” she said as the two started down the hallway.

“Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Zash Havihg,” Harris read aloud.

“One of the best Doctors I've had the pleasure to serve with,” Piva said. “I was lucky to find him available. What do you want to know?”

“Why this nice meek Bajoran has such a Tellarite sounding name,” he clarified.

Piva laughed. “Because he's a Tellarite.”

“A Tellarite... CMO,” Harris continued. “Please tell me I don't need to explain to an Andorian why that is a terrible idea.”

“His bedside manner takes some getting used to,” Piva admitted. “But he's charming, in a gruff sort of way! You'll love him”

“Oh god...” Harris sighed. “Chief Engineer... Volkos?”

“I'm very excited about him,” Piva said gleefully. “Top of his class at the Academy, and he brought new technology back to his planet that is going to revolutionize the way they deal with other races. I can't believe no one picked him up before we did!”

“That's because he's a Medusan, Piva,” Harris answered. “If something blows up in engineering, which is not unheard of, and that rig he fixed up cracks open...”

“We'll have bigger problems than people looking at our Engineer and going insane,” Piva smiled. “Like whatever blew up in Engineering.”

“Piva...” Harris protested.

“Jack!” Piva stopped and turned around. “Is there any member of my crew that is unqualified for the position they have been handed.”

Harris paused. Defeated. “No,” he said.

“Then shut up,” Piva said. “You can take that as your first direct order, Mister Harris.”

“Yes, Captain,” Harris said. They walked down the hallway before Harris spoke up again. “Listen... I mean it...”

Piva turned to meet Harris's eye.

“I am honored you are choosing me as first officer,” Harris said sincerely. “And I can think of no one in the Federation who deserves a command more than you.”

Piva looked down at the ground and smiled, then back into Jack Harris's now much sadder eyes. “Are you going to be okay?” she asked, concerned. “You're taking this trip so soon after Bea...” She trailed off. Beatrice Harris had passed away six short months ago, and the hurt was still a little fresh. They had grown to be good friends in the short time they knew each other.

Harris closed his eyes and smiled. “She'd want me to come,” he said. “Bea was... Never one to mince words. She told me not to sit around at home and mope, so I won't.” He opened his eyes. “She'd be proud... Of both of us.”

Piva gave Harris a sad smile.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1