Comments ( 187 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 187
bahatumay
Group Contributor

Longest two hours ever... :ajbemused:

CommissarAJ
Group Contributor

- Hear ye! Hear ye!

- The good Commissar stands at the precipice of destiny. He has climbed high and far with his pride, 'What Would Daring Do?', but he has not yet reached the summit.

- He seeks to topple one last glory; climb one last peak! He seeks the arbitrarily coveted 'EqD Feature' honour.

- But he needs your help! He's got 120,000+ words to sift through to make sure everything is absolutely spotless. He shall accept nothing less than perfection!

- He is need of able-bodied recruits, sharp in mind and sharper in spotting errors, to help him give 'What Would Daring Do?' its final polish.

- The Commissar is counting on you! Will you heed the call and lend your aid?

- Is this helping?

bookplayer
Group Admin

CommissarAJ wants to get on EqD! Let's help!

Uh, don't y'all remember last time we tried to get on EqD

Oh yeah. That didn't turn out very well.

I still say Dashtablious is a word. But, come on, just because we're awful at grammar and seem to like every kind of storytelling that EqD hates, doesn't mean we shouldn't offer our friends the most awesome advice we can!

Yeah, it just means he'd be better off doin' the opposite of whatever we say.

So, maybe it'd be better if someone else gave him a hoof?

Like someone who can actually help? Yes. Yes, that would be better.

Sorry, CommissarAJ! Good luck!

CommissarAJ
Group Contributor

So much for cutie marks in editing, huh? Well, thank ya kindly, nonetheless.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

I have been meaning to read it again...

And there's only 4 fics left in my read later list...

Sure, I'll see about nuking some spelling/grammar for you.

CommissarAJ
Group Contributor

Well to make a long story short, the copies on FIMfiction are more polished than my own copies in googledocs. So I've had to re-download copies from the site to put up on googledocs to begin the polish work, after which they shall be uploaded back to FIMfiction.

It'll take me a bit to get the new googledocs organized and ready. I'll send you a PM (along with anybody else who's interested) with the relevant links within the next 24 hours.

If any of you ever need an editor in the future, I'm always available. I am a little OCD when it comes to good grammar, so I have a tendency to not miss any little mistakes and make my grammar as perfect as I can. Unless you don't want the most OCD Grammar Nazi out there, in which case pass me up.
Always here for good grammar, never here to criticize,
RainbowJack
(I think I may have just made up my new slogan by mistake.)

Rated Ponystar
Group Contributor

So I've tried getting Treating Her Right on Equestria Daily, but failed twice. I only got one shot left. Anybody here an extremely good editor that might be able to help me win them over?

Tchernobog
Group Admin

Might help to know what they've said so far! Or is it mainly spelling/grammar issues?

Rated Ponystar
Group Contributor

Unfortunately I accidentally deleted what they specifically said, but I know it was mostly because of the grammar and spelling issues.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

You should try poking first_down then. He helped with the last two chapters of felt heart!

Rated Ponystar
Group Contributor

Guess I can give it a shot

I think the use of such lists is for a certain group of people only. ok let's put this more subtly Personally, I've never used such a list, but I've never felt that I was overusing 'said' anyway. I just roll over the keyboard (if it only was that easy!) and I automatically use other ways/synonyms where appropriate (or if I do find a passage that is a bit heavy on the 'said's, I don't need one of those lists to replace a few of them)

I'm certainly not implying using such lists is bad; some people just always initially write 'said', and then later replace some of them with synonyms, which would also be a sensible thing to do. However I've sometimes seen the concept of using synonyms taken too far, to the extent of not using said during entire fics etc. While the read would have been dull if only 'said' was used, using only synonyms made it equally annoying, if not more so because at some point it doesn't feel natural anymore, and becomes very difficult to read. Most pages with those list do not mention that.

tl;dr you don't need to replace every. single. occurence of the word 'said'

Tchernobog
Group Admin

Oh, indeed. It's still nice to have a list though. Sometimes some of those just "fit" more than 'said' alone does.

1105591 :rainbowhuh: I may just have to use this...

I got lost on page 2. :fluttershysad: what's the general idea for this post?:pinkiesad2:

Yay I'm a part of something

So if a story you're writing has a premise that you haven't seen before in pony shipping, but is a horrible cliche in regular romance, would that story still suffer from the ridicule that comes to overly-cliche stories?

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

It depends on how you handle the cliché. Every story can be done in a new, fresh way.
There's the cliché of Rainbow losing her wings. Then there's bookplayer's potential fic that handles that cliché in a way that hasn't been done before, and if you couple that with excellent writing, it's going to be awesome.

That's going to be my problem. I don't think this idea has been done before in pony shipping. So I don't know which way to go with it.

For clarity's sake, here's the idea (so far):
The Apple Clan is secretly a clan of monster hunters who span across Equestria with the intent of keeping the regular populace safe. AJ and her immediate family are some of the best that the Apples have to offer, which is they are stationed in Ponyville, the heart of Equestria. Problem is, Dash secretly belongs to a race of Dracoponies. Being a romance, they hook up. Secrets are revealed. Limits are pushed. Conflict and drama abound.

So. Should I just go with it, or try a think up something else? Give myself some buffer cred with another story before I delve into this one.

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

It kinda still depends on how well of a writer you are. You should consider taking on a proofreader or two who can look at the outline of the fic and offer advice, be it good or bad.

Then I'll hope for the best. I've got a friend who has already volunteered with the proofreading, but I know I'll need to look for more, seeing as how he's horribly biased against the idea.
Nevertheless, thanks for the input. I'll try and hope it comes out alright.

Just a question...
Would the people helping with this be called the SOS Brigade?

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

Would anyone be interested in proofreading the remaining chapters of my fic: "What Your Heart Desires" and point out stuff that reads awkardly?

If anyone wants a beta-reader, shoot me a PM. I'm always open for it. I can do anything from grammar, to spell-checks, to plot and/or writing suggestions. I can accommodate the needs of anyone who's willing to put forth the effort. The only thing I ask for is a complete chapter to work with.

Do you put a thumbtack in the middle, and spin it? :rainbowlaugh:

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

Welcome to the wheel of feels.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

Nah, I figured you just threw darts at yours though :P

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

How the hell does Applejinx manage to hit the 'confused' section of the feelings, time and time again?

:rainbowhuh:

He got ya fair and square, featherbrain :ajsmug:

Are you sure that you meant "beta-reader"?

The Wheel of Feels turns, and Fanfics come and pass, leaving memories that become memes. Memes grow to fanon, and even fanon is long forgotten when the Fanfics that gave it birth comes again.

The Wheel of Feels turns, and Fanfics come and pass, leaving memories that become memes. Memes grow to fanon, and even fanon is long forgotten when the Fanfics that gave it birth comes again.

You win.

1955155 Excellent punning.

My writing style is similar in some ways to this guy. I try and sit down and write everything at once to try and not break the flow of the story, as it's really hard to get it back if you don't have a firm grasp on what you're doing or where you're going with your work. But that's where he and I begin to differ...

Whenever I get an idea of something I'd like to include in a story, I write it down in the same document. I separate it from what I'm writing at the time, and I leave a small tidbit of what I wanted to do, just as a reminder. Some of the things I want to do make it in, if I feel they contribute well enough to the story, some things don't find a place.

Granted, my version is very truncated. I've only been doing short stories lately. My last attempt at a long chapter-based project didn't end well.

But beta-reader is kind of a broad term too. It essentially just means someone who reads something ahead of everyone else, helps clean things up, and make the work more presentable to the intended audience. And for awhile, that's all I really did do for the fiction-writing community. Life got kind of busy to attempt being a writer for awhile.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

Admittedly less useful for us, what with this being ponies. Still, you can base some ideas off of it.

Comment posted by TwilightUCrazy deleted Dec 8th, 2013

Ah, the hell with it. Just sticky this thread already. :rainbowlaugh:

I heard this was where I posted my needs of prereader or something I phrased that wrong, didn't I?

before I continue, I have this habit of kind of kind of sort of being extremely self conscious of myself on the internet because I kind of sort of used to sort of play this game where if you said anything stupid they would call you noob or ..worse.. so now I'm really scared too: comment on fanfictions that haven't been commented on in a long time, if I wasn't so afraid I would of commented my thoughts on the appledash project or those blue wings 4 months ago :twilightblush: and I also kind of sort of have a sort of have a habit of saying kind of and sort of as you can tell because I don't uh sort of don't want to uh sound like I'm bragging, jesus christ I have dragged my IRL shyness into my internet life. Ok I'll get back to the point now uh

I have uh this fanfic that sort of needs a prereader and uh uhm it uhm is a human slaps self repetitively It's a human AppleDash fanfiction, with the typical high-school drama and such. :twistnerd::unsuresweetie:

And it uh slaps self sort of needs a prereader because my lazy and judgemental and annoying and religiously judgemental friends only judge my story by what they think about the concept, such as my old fic (that I deleted out of one of those really weird embarrassed moments because no one really uh, commuh, commentuh, commented on or payed attention to it because I didn't quiet make it clear int he description that it was a shipfic.) god dammit it Emma please get back on topic

Anyways, here's the basic details:
Humanized
Wing-Humanized
Horn-Humanized
Normal-Skin-Color-Humanized
Shipping
AppleDash
Highschool
Drama
Crushes
Oh my!
I mean, okay why do I keep getting off topic?
Teen

More detailed details that I honestly am just listing off BECAUSE I bucking LOVE MAKING LISTS

Twilight is Rainbow Dash's wing girl (wing man) (No pun intended)
Rainbow Dash slowly developed a crush on Applejack
Applejack's a lesbian AJ: I SAID BI NOT LESBIAN YOU *buy some apples*
Twilight knows that RD like likes AJ before Rainbow Dash knows it herself
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA GALORE! :twilightoops::twilightoops: *half of the people who are reading this exit out of the fimfiction tab*
APPLEDASH
ME TRYING TO BE AS UNCLICHE AS POSSIBLE FOR A HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA STORY
HORSE PUN IS USED
I'LL SHUT UP NOW

bahatumay
Group Contributor

That's an awful lot of words to say 'hey, I need a prereader for my humanized AppleDash fic. It's set in a high school, and the characters have normal skin but wings and horns.'
And say we do want to help. Should we pm you or is it a gdoc link?

I'll answer that when I finish writing it :facehoof:

bahatumay
Group Contributor

So you… don't have a fanfic that needs prereading? :unsuresweetie:
You know, come to think of it, I've never waited until the story was completed before having another set of eyes look over it…

I do it just is gonna be finished in about two days, I've been busy alot lately with .... moving and listening to Pandora and getting distracted by ponies.

:ajsmug: it'll be doneeeeeeee innnnnnn abouuuutttttt 2 to 5 days?

Okie dokey lokey, finished that quicker than I expected.

It's finished now for anyone who wants to preread it 'll give the google documents link as soon as someonesays that they want to preread it :scootangel:

bahatumay
Group Contributor

Oh hey, you published the story.

I got impatient

Hello, I've been working on my first romance and it's AppleDash. I'm getting a lot of help from people I know, including a few in this group, but I also like to get new perspectives. So if anyone is interested in readin my 12500+ word Appledash fic and tell me how they feel the pairing worked out then I would be very appreciative. I don't need edits, those are being finished up, just an opinion or two from people outside my network and that like AppleDash.

Title: Pinkie's Surprise, Surprise Party, Party!
Tags: Romance, Comedy, Random
Description: This story is a sequel to "And Then Rainbow Dash Was a Colt," and Ten Other Really Awkward Stories

Five months after Rainbow Dash was turned back into a mare she finds herself a promising Wonderbolt with a magnificent marefriend. But when Pinkie throws a surprise, Surprise Party, party Dash must learn the difference between being friends and being in love.

NON-EXPLICIT, Apple/Dash

One does not need to read the original story. One must simply imagine the worse.

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

*whistle* Them's a lot of words.

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 187