Would you read this? · 5:53am
Okay, I apologize in advance for this, because chances are that, if you are following me, you want me to update Both of the Four of Us and/or My Little Higurashi, and I'm working on that. I really am. But I never was capable of working on only one thing at a time, and I've got an idea for a story that I'd sort of like thoughts on.
First of all, said idea is a horror story. I love horror, but have never really tried my hand at writing it, so this would be something of an experimental fic for me. Author Appeal is definitely in effect here, because in addition to the horror aspect, this story would also concern a subject that I'm fascinated with: that is, the deep sea and the terrifying things that lurk within it.
General plot outline is this: Twilight and a few other characters (I'm thinking OCs, though I have a headcanon of a cryptozoologist Lyra that I might try out. Depends on how goofy she comes out and if it seems like that's ruining the horror, I guess.) go on a scientific expedition funded by the princesses to the Equestrian ocean's depths following the development of a magical submarine... thing. I'm sketchy on that bit. Obviously they would need some sort of strong submarine, even with magic, if they didn't want to get crushed... I dunno. If I actually start planning this story for real, I would expand on that. Obviously.
Anyways, they go on this expedition, trying to follow the source of an Equestrian version of the Bloop. G1's seaponies are something of an urban legend in our Equestria; well, most ponies see them as more plausible than an "urban legend," more like cryptids, I guess. As such, Twilight and the other researchers suspect that the sounds may be some attempt to get in touch with the overworld, and aim to find the source in the hope of discovering a whole new civilization.
The catch is, even if they do find a civilization, and even if said civilization is friendly, then what practical and self-assured Twilight Sparkle doesn't realize is that for a race of ponies to live in the abyss, then they must be completely alien in comparison to Equestria. After all, in Equestria, Celestia and Luna are seen as goddesses, but these potential seaponies are completely unaffected by the sun and moon, if they are even aware of their existence at all. This slowly dawns on Twilight as she and the other researchers descend into the abyss, and their surroundings become more and more alien and unsettling.
Psychological/cosmic horror ensues, and Twilight Sparkle, once willing to sacrifice anything in her search for knowledge, slowly realizes that she may not want to meet the source of the Bloop after all.
And no, I didn't spoil anything there. I have some plot twists planned, but I'm not telling you that!
This story would probably be released as a oneshot, albeit one split into multiple chapters. Like... 10,000 words, tops? How's that sound? Could you get sufficiently scared in 10,000 words?
Anywho, tell me what you think. I'll take any excuse to ramble on about deep sea life (Ask me about the seadevil. I dare you. Ask me about how absolutely screwed you are if, by some bizarre twist of fate, you ever find yourself face-to-face with one.), and Lovecraftian sort of cosmic horror has always been one of my favorite genres, but I dunno if the idea of crossing it with MLP:FiM is something that would fly with most bronies.
So... am I right? Wrong? Worst idea you've ever heard? Best? You don't care but actually wouldn't mind listening to me going on about anglerfish? Tell me what you think.
In which TwinkieSpy is tagged · 3:02am
I am not one to back down from a challenge. Except for every time I have been challenged and then proceeded to back down. BUT NOT TODAY.
1. You must post the rules.
2. Each person must post 5 things about themselves in their journal
3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post, and create eleven new questions for the people you tag to answer.
4. You have to choose 11 people to tag and post their icons on your journal.
5. Go to their page and tell them you have tagged them.
6. No tag backs
7. No stuff in the tagging section about "you're tagged if you're reading this". You legitimately have to tag 11 people
1. I get really neurotic about watching TV shows out of order. Even with cartoons like MLP, I had to start from the beginning before I could even touch the other episodes.
2. When I was... 13, I think, I developed a huge crush on L from Death Note. I still have that crush. Good God, I love him.
3. I have a lot of story ideas that I get really pumped about and start planning for and everything, but then they never actually happen. This is a large part of the reason why my updates take so long.
4. I love horror movies. Some of my favorites are Insidious, The Thing (the 80's one), and The Shining.
5. I really, really liked "This Day Aria" from the season 2 finale. Quality music right there.
Questions (as composed by Clonetrooperkev):
1. Do you actually write stories or comment on them and give reviews? Or both. Elaborate your answer on why.
I write stories and sometimes comment. I usually don't give the most in-depth or helpful reviews unless asked, but I like to think I've given some quality advice. As far as why, I write stories because... I like writing stories about cartoon ponies, dammit, and I read them because, well... I like reading stories about cartoon ponies. Dammit.
2. Do you believe that while Celestia is the primary ruler, she has allowed too many things to go wrong and needs to be replaced?
Nah, I like Celestia. Of all of the things that have gone wrong, none of them are actually her fault, aside from maybe allowing Chrysalis to infiltrate Canterlot. I know a lot of people think she doesn't do enough as far as taking action when the villain of the season shows up, but I see that as sort of... benevolent manipulativeness. Like Dumbledore. Could she have defeated Nightmare Moon on her own? Maybe, but then who would be prepared to step up and defend Equestria when something actually bests her? Nopony, that's who.
3. Which super hero movie will you be favoriting this summer. Please explain why.
I haven't seen The Avengers yet (I know, I know) and I've heard that it was pretty friggin' awesome, so I'll probably get on that when I have the time. I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, just because it feels like a lot of them follow the same cookie-cutter plot of Protagonist is Insecure and/or Irresponsible -> Protagonist Gets Superpowers -> Things Explode -> Protagonist Becomes Confident and/or Responsible.
4. Which is your favorite piece of literature?
That... is a very difficult question to answer. I'm a big fan of Stephen King's novel It, so maybe that one? It's a really quality piece of literature; like a coming-of-age story, but with more Eldritch abominations. And it has a lot of genuinely scary moments, by which I mean that I literally had to get up and walk into a brightly-lit room with lots of people before I could continue reading. This coming from someone who very rarely finds herself scared by horror movies, that means a lot.
5. Which of the Mane 6 would you be in a relationship with and why?
Um... well, I'm a (mostly) heterosexual female and also human, so I can't say I really see it working out with any of them. But, just placing that aside for the moment, I guess Twilight Sparkle? We're alike in a lot of respects--we both love reading, usually play the straight man/pony in our respective groups of friends, and share the same tendency of overreaction towards... anything, really. But at the same time, there are some notable differences--she's very much a scientist, whereas I'm more the right-brain type and have no patience for the scientific method. So, idk, I guess if I were a lesbian pony, it might work out?
6. Has being a brony taught you tolerance?
I like to think I'm a fairly tolerant person, and have been since before I became a brony. I usually don't let fandom-related things affect non-fandom-related parts of my personality, so I'm gonna say no. But, like I said, I think I was at least a bit tolerant to begin with.
7. Are you more outgoing since you've started writing?
Mm... yes, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that, before I started writing, I was a painfully shy, completely neurotic, preteen bundle of nerves. I don't know if writing had anything to do with it, but I've gotten a lot more comfortable with myself since then.
8. For the Whovians, who is your favorite Doctor? If you don't watch Who, give your explanation as to why you haven't watched Who.
I like the Ninth Doctor, admittedly just because he was the first one I saw. Eccleston played it a bit darker and edgier than his predecessors and successors, too, which was cool. Oh, and my shipping radar was off the charts during the episodes when he was around, which was great for people like myself who rarely watch something unless they've got an OTP to root for. It's just a shame he was only around for one season.
9. Do you like Sci Fi? I sure do and firmly stick with it.
I love science fiction. I prefer soft sci-fi to hard sci-fi, usually, but either way, I am completely on board.
10. What's the greatest thing you'll ever learn?
When I finally learn to draw hands in an anatomically correct manner, my life will be complete.
11. You've suffered enough, what's your favorite fruit?
Strawberries. Delicious and adorable--what's not to love?
1. Who are your favorite and least favorite ponies of the Mane Six, and why?
2. What is your favorite piece of My Little Pony fanfiction?
3. Do you have an OTP (One True Pairing) for My Little Pony? If so, what is it and why? If not, why not?
4. Do you play video games? If so, which game is your all-time favorite? If not, why?
5. Ever been to 4chan? If so, which board and to what extent did it scar you for life?
6. Do you prefer Season One's fanon Luna, or Season Two's canon Luna? Why?
7. So, is her name Derpy Hooves, Ditzy Doo, or Bright Eyes? Why do you stick with that name?
8. Who is your favorite fanon pony (i.e. Lyra, Colgate, Vinyl Scratch, etc.) or fanon personality (i.e. "Cupcakes" Pinkie, Trollestia, Jappleack, etc.)? Are there any that you aren't so fond of?
9. TVTropes refers to unintentionally scary moments in children's media as "Nightmare Fuel." Were you unsuspectingly exposed to any notably horrific Nightmare Fuel as a child? What was it?
10. You're walking along the street one day when Twilight Sparkle steps out of a conspicuously glowing portal and invites you to join her and her friends in Ponyville. Just one catch--the portal is going to close permanently after you enter it. Do you?
11. How many letters are in the answer to this question?
Victims: (I'm just tagging the first 11 people on my followers list, so... sorry.)
Okay, so it's not really "crushing," and it's not really depression, either, but, long story short, I stumbled upon very depressing moment in a TV show I am currently watching and have kinda just been sitting there, eyes watering for what I swear are completely unrelated reasons, and texting my friends who have seen a lot more of said show than I have and asking them what the hell they want me to ship now. This mood is not really conducive to writing, which is why I have barely touched Both of the Four of Us since, like, Sunday.
It's times like this in which I am glad that MLP is, in fact, a children's cartoon and does not involve character death, departure, or anything else that shall ever affect the status quo. None of this "IT'S YOUR LAST EPISODE AS A PROTAGONIST DAMNIT NOW SHUT UP AND KISS HIM" crap. When I was, like, twelve, I remember watching Charmed. I think I was catatonic for weeks after Prue died. So, y'know, just a few days of depression is really an improvement for me.
Anywho, I should be back at it soon. In case you haven't noticed, I'm the sort of person that both a) ships like nobody's business and b) cries very easily at fictional events, but after nearly eighteen years of that I've finally figured out how to bounce back from the ensuing depression without sheepishly having to explain to concerned strangers that I was just crying because I didn't like so-and-so's ending and why the hell did such-and-such have to die, anyways. I never found My Little Dashie very sad, but from what I've heard, other people did and were left sobbing at their computers.
So, y'know, if you did... remember how incapable of being creative you were when that happened and please find it in your heart to forgive me, because I'm pretty angry at myself for being so moody and immature right now and will gladly release the newest chapter when I refine it to my liking. So, y'know... thanks, and sorry about that.
Oh, and have this gif.
Aww Chrysalis, you always know how to make me feel better!
EDIT: I just noticed that someone unfollowed me, which means I get to post another incredibly immature "LOL 69" blog post once I get another follower. That also helped me feel better. Seriously, whoever unfollowed me and probably unintentionally brightened my day, thank you. Really.
Heheh... · 10:28pm
So I have this problem... · 2:23am
...And it's called Writer's Block. Like, I have it bad right now. I open up Word and then I just sit there with this clueless look on my face. It's awful.
So, in an attempt to reawaken my inner artist, I think I'm going to take like 3-5 requests for short stories. Well, "requests" is a bit of a misnomer; more like, "I'm going to take the idea you give me that I like and write about it and then mention you at the end" but... y'know. You're nice people out here. You'll help a brony (pegasister?) out, right?
So... yeah. Any story ideas you have but don't feel like using? OVER HERE, BRO.
Selfcest is the Best Cest · 3:16am
New Story · 4:46am
I just finished writing my newest fic, A Single Soul, which may or may not be a sequel to Party of Two. It's still waiting on approval, so it'll probably be a bit before it arrives on the site, but as of now it has officially been submitted.
Being a (possible?) sequel to Party of Two, it is, of course, Pinkie/Pinkamena. It also includes sexual content, so don't read it if you're offended by that sort of thing. However, I probably wouldn't consider it a clopfic just because the word "clopfic" carries along a connotation that it's just sex with incidental plot (by which I mean story, not ass). This, on the other hand, is more like plot with incidental sex. So even if you were to call it a clopfic, it's definitely more romantic and/or sensual than, say, the work of RagingSemi (no offense to him; he's great writer).
But, semantics aside, I'm actually very proud of this new fic, so make sure to give it a read and drop me some suggestions/critique.
And after this, I swear I'll get back to working on Both of the Four of Us and My Little Higurashi.