• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 10,738 Views, 647 Comments

Halcyon Hearts - TheMyth



After going through so much, it's nice to have some quiet times. But quiet does not mean uneventful. Even in times of peace, ponies change, ponies grow, and ponies learn...

  • ...
24
 647
 10,738

Chapter 4

“I can do this!”

A lone pegasus flew higher in the sky at top speeds, obliterating the clouds that stood in his way. Once he was high enough, he dived down to the ground with his wings tucked in to accelerate the speed he was flying at.

“C’mon!” he shouted out loud and a thunderous sound emitted from the air at least three times, followed by a trail of rainbow. He spread his wings wide, pulling his head upwards and landing on the ground, his hooves gaining some scratches from it. He looked back the clouds, and saw three rainbow rings that lingered in the sky.

“Tsk, will have to work harder if I want to get up to seven!” he told himself as he furrowed his brows. He heard clapping from behind him and he arched his eyebrow slightly, turning to the sound. He saw another pegasus sitting on the hill, the favourite resting point for him. The pegasus mare that was sitting there had a dark orange fur coat with bright magenta mane and pink eyes. He smirked and hovered over to her.

“That was really, um... cool of you!” she said as she stood up, revealing herself to be by a head shorter than he was.

He leaned his head, and squinted his eyes slightly. “Oh? First time I seen a fan on my favourite hill rooting for me...” he said as he smiled as her eyes moving from one corner to the other.

The mare gulped and started sweating. “Oh! This is your hill? I’m sorry, it’s just I like to coming here to-”

The stallion started chuckling softly. “Relax, will you? I’m just pulling your leg, this hill’s as much yours is as it is mine.”

The mare sighed in relieve. “Oh good... for a moment I was nervous there...”

The stallion grinned as he looked into the mare’s eyes. “You’re cute... what’s your name?”

“Um... my name is Melody, Melody Joy,” she said as she was trying to recover from being flustered by his compliment. “And you are-”

“My name is Rainbow Spectrum!” he floated in the air and grinned confidently, as he saw the awe in Melody’s eyes. “I’m also the captain of the Wonderbolts.”

“Um...yes, I know.” Red tinged the mare’s cheeks.

“Oh? Are you a fan?”

“...Actually, no. My roommate is, though. She says you’re amazing.”

“”Well, I don’t like to brag.” It was a lie, and not a very convincing one either. “But I am pretty great. In fact...” He eyed the mare up and down, causing her to blush deeper, “I’m a lot of fun to be around. Why don’t I show you? I know a nice, quiet restaurant nearby...”

The stallion held his hoof out. By now Melody was practically glowing crimson. Slowly, she placed her hoof on his. “I... I’d love to.”


“And so,” the priest said, “by the power invested in me by the city of Cloudsdale, I pronounce you mare and colt! You may kiss the bride.”

Spectrum needed no second bidding. He could hardly keep himself off of his treasured mare, who had brightened his life up three years ago. He had proposed, in front of a stadium filled with fans no less, and she’d accepted.

As their lips locked, he felt tears down his face. He thanked Celestia daily for blessing him with such a treasure. He would have traded his position, his fame, and his riches, all for her. Any happiness they brought paled to what she offered.

The wonderful mare. She was timid, but powerful and strong when it came to matters of the heart. She was a frail thing, hardly any muscle, but it gave her the air of preciousness that intoxicated him. No matter how weak she was physically, she had him wrapped around her hoof, and he knew it.

Their marriage was the single happiest period in his life. It lasted a year.


Spectrum was walking on air, and unlike an earth pony or unicorn, he could do so literally. Today was the day when their family became whole. His wife was in the maternity ward, giving birth to their first child. He could hardly stop his movement.

The doctor walked out of the delivery room, looking at the pegasus with an expression that made his heart stop.

“What’s wrong?” he demanded, grabbing the doctor. “Is my foal okay?”

“Yes, Mr. Spectrum. I assure you, your wife has given birth to a healthy filly.”

His relief was only momentary. “Then... what’s wrong?”

The doctor was only silent for a moment. “I’m afraid... her body was too weak to handle the strain. She passed away during childbirth due to hemorrhaging. I am so sor-”

“Out of my way!” Spectrum bolted through the door and saw body of his wife still on the bed, though a blanket was placed over her head. His breathing hastened with each second and he heard the crying of his foal by the nurses, who took of their nurse hats in respect. He flew next to Melody’s body, holding it in his hooves and the blanket fell off revealing a soft smile with her eyes closed forever.

He sobbed into her shoulder and he swore he could feel the warmth from her still and even the song she hummed when she was pregnant and caressing her stomach that held their treasure.

Remembering that humming, he hummed to her and kissed her forehead, with his eyes closed and teeth clenched as the tears were flowing freely. Another memory came to his mind, the day before today.


“Say? What do you think we should name our foal, Melody?”

Melody sat on a sofa, sighing happily as she rubbed her belly gently. She looked up to her husband Spectrum, who brought in some water for her to drink. He gave her the water and kissed her softly on the lips, sitting next to and placing his hoof gently on the belly of his wife.

“I was thinking, if it’s a colt we should name him Cloud Spectrum. If it’s a filly, Rainbow Dash.”

Spectrum’s cheeks burned slightly hearing this. “Wow... my name is in each of them,” he said and he placed a hoof over his wife’s neck, with her leaning her head near his chest.

Melody looked up to his eyes demurely. “Because you’re that special to me, Spectrum, you and our foal.”

Spectrum smiled with half open eyes and leaned to his wife, kissing her passionately. He pulled away and squinted his eyes, leaning his ear to Melody’s stomach.

“What’s that you say there?” he asked the stomach as though it were alive.

Melody giggled from her husband’s antics, “Sweetie-”

“Shh shh shh! Can’t you see I’m having a discussion here?” he asked his wife rhetorically and placed his ear back to the stomach. “What’s that? You’re gonna be the best Wonderbolt Captain ever?! You make your daddy very proud.”

He then kissed the belly and returned to giving his wife affection. After a few moments, he looked into her eyes and smiled gently. “I love you, Melody.”

Melody released a few tears that mix with her smile and reached her hooves to Spectrum's cheeks, caressing each side. “Spectrum, I love you too.”


He wept. Sitting in the chair next to the hospital bed that held his deceased wife’s body, he wept. His heart shattered, his happiness seemed unattainable. His precious Melody was gone forever.

He was still crying when the doctor approached him again. “Mr. Rainbow, would you like us to hold onto your child for a while, until you...”

“No! No, please... let me see her!”

Nodding, the doctor motioned for a nearby nurse to come in, carrying a small bundled foal. Her blue fur and multi colored mane were her only identifying marks at the moment, as she was wrapped tightly in her blanket.

Carefully, she was passed to Spectrum’s waiting hooves. He sat in a chair, cradling his child as if she was the most fragile thing in the world. He looked her over. She was so tiny, so innocent. She was the most wonderful thing he had ever seen. Not even losing Melody had been enough to taint the love he now felt. The pain was there, but he felt his heart being mended. He felt a purpose in his life again.

He kissed his child. She stirred, emitting a small coo before drifting back to sleep. His heart melted.

“I’ll never let you down,” he whispered softly, while rocking his infant. “I won’t let anything happen to you, my precious Rainbow Dash.”


The next day, Rainbow Spectrum resigned as captain of the Wonderbolts. Six months later, he left Cloudsdale, intending to never come back. He flew far up north, as far as he could get. Finally, he settled in Vanhoover, far from public scrutiny. He lived off his pension, which was more than enough for him and his child.

“Why can’t I?” Rainbow Dash whined. “Everypony else gets to!”

“Well, you’re not ‘everypony else’, are you?”

“But I wanna try riding a scooter!” the six-year-old filly nearly screamed.

“Rainbow Dash!” Spectrum’s eyes bore down on the little filly and she stopped screaming. “Dashie...” he spoke softly to her and held onto her. “I don’t want you to get hurt, understand?”

“But Daddy-”

“Dashie, please...”

Rainbow Dash sighed and closed her eyes. “Oh ok, I won’t try to ride a scooter.”

Spectrum smiled softly, albeit sadly when he saw his daughter’s downward look. “Tell you what, why don’t we go on a few flying lessons tomorrow morning?”

Rainbow Dash’s head shot upwards at the speed of lightning. “Really!? That’s so cool!” she then squeezed her father tight with her tiny legs around his neck and nuzzled his head.

Spectrum stoke his daughter’s hair softly and closed his eyes slowly. “But first, let’s go and have some supper now? Shall we?”

“OK!”


“First thing you ought to do is to breath.”

“Huh?”

“Breathing plays an important role in flying. Now breathe in, and out...”

“Dad, you’ve already taught me this lesson!”

“Well then, let’s review it. Come on, in...”

“No! I wanna learn how to really fly! Can’t you teach me to use my wings?”

“I promise, you’ll learn more than that by the time the day’s over.”

“Good, ‘cause I need to learn a lot if I’m gonna join the Wonderbolts!”

It was like flipping a switch. In a flash her father went from a kindly instructing manner into an aggressive one. He put his face absolutely close to his daughter’s and said, in a low, dangerous voice. “Absolutely not!”

“What? Why?”

“Do you know how dangerous it is, all those idiotic tricks the Wonderbolts do? I’m not going to have you get yourself killed doing some irresponsible stunt!”

“But Daddy...”

“Don’t ‘But Daddy’ me!” he said angrily. “This flying lesson is over!” With that, he began walking away.

“What? But... you promised!” she pleaded, running and latching onto his hind leg. “You said you’d teach me to fly!”

“That’s before I knew what kind of things you were planning to do,” he said coldly. “Maybe you’d be better off not learning to fly until you had some sense!”

“Yeah, well... I don’t care what you say! I’m gonna be the greatest Wonderbolt there ever was!”

“No, you won’t!” he roared. He calmed somewhat, then continued. “You know how few pegasi even get into the Wonderbolts? Try having some goals that can actually happen!”

“I’m going to be a Wonderbolt!”

At that point, Spectrum exploded. “I told you, you aren’t! Quit being so damn stupid!”

With that, they both went inside. When the door closed, Rainbow Dash ran up to her room and slammed the door shut. She landed on her bed and started sobbing endlessly in her pillow, which was becoming drenched with tears.

Outside the room, Rainbow Spectrum stood still outside his daughter’s room not daring to go inside. He closed his eyes shut, and a single stream of tears ran to his cheeks. He lifted his head up and went downstairs. “Did I do the right thing?” he thought to himself as he sat on the couch, resting his head in his forehooves thinking.


Rainbow Dash sighed as she entered her home, carefully stepping in case Scootaloo was already asleep. It turned out to be for naught, as soon she heard her daughter calling her name.

Smiling, she went into her living room and saw her curled up on the couch, a copy of Daring Do and the Wooden Mask in her forelegs. “Hey Mom, how was practice?”

She responded by playfully tussling her daughter’s hair. “Great, except that somepony thought I should have an ex-con as a flying partner.”

She giggled. “Blaze took care of me when I was stuck in that lab... I thought he deserved to be a Wonderbolt...”

“Well, I guess he’s okay,” she muttered, sitting down and pulling Scootaloo close to her.

“Mom... is everything okay?”

“...Yeah, everything’s fine. It’s nothing you need to worry about, squirt.” She kissed her forehead gently. “I just... I have a lot on my mind.”


Rainbow Dash lifted her head from her pillow, revealing her bloodshot eyes. She looked up to her posters of the Wonderbolts and then to her pictures of her and her father. Her father was controlling her, molding her into something she was not and will never be. She started gritting her teeth as more images of her father came into her mind, of what he said to her just a few hours ago. How she wouldn’t join the Wonderbolts, how she couldn’t even fly. She was becoming convinced that her father never cared about her, nor her dreams.

She looked to the picture of her and her father, and furrowed her eyebrows in a glare when she looked at the excuse of a father she had. “I’ll show him!”

With that, she jumped off her bed and went into her drawer. There she took out her saddlebag and her pocket money. She stuffed the money into her bag and took out other provisions for what she was about to do.

Once it was all done, she opened her window silently, and she mounted herself on the railings. She spreaded her wings and jumped off, gliding rather slowly to the ground below her. The surroundings were dark and she could hardly see anything, save for the light of the town before her and the light of the house where she would never return to. She gave one last look at it and blew a raspberry, running off to the town of Vanhoover.


“Dashie?”

Rainbow Spectrum knocked on his daughter’s door, but did not hear any response. This didn’t surprise him though, thinking back to what he did earlier.

“Dashie, I just wanted to say I’m so sorry for what I said earlier. It was wrong of me to say those things, especially to my own daughter.”

Silence was all that met him and he let out a sigh as he closed his eyes. “I was just like you when I was young, you would think I’m lying now, considering how stuck up I seem to be. It’s just, the moment you came into my world I promised you and your mother that I would do anything to protect you, but I became the one who hurt you. But... it wasn’t right of me to treat you like this. Which is why it’s going to stop, right now.”

There was no answer. He continued. “Dashie, I don’t want you to get hurt, but I also don’t want to see you unhappy. If you really want to be a Wonderbolt, you’re going to be one, with my support. Tomorrow I’ll train you more and even show you some of the stunts I pulled off. Heck, you can even be a Wonderbolt Captain like I was.” He then opened the door slightly to squeeze his head in, but nopony was on the other side.

He felt his heart sink. “No... No no!” He burst into the room, desperately searching all over for his daughter. “Dashie! Dashie!”

In a flash he was outside. “Dashie!”


Rainbow Dash grunted as she kept running. She had made it into the nearest town, but it wasn’t good enough. Her father would look here first. She glanced around the shipping area. There had to be something...
vzzzz

Then she saw it. A shipping carriage, about to leave with two pegasi at the reigns. Perfect.

Carefully, she snuck around to the back. When she was sure nopony was looking, she opened the door and climbed in, hiding amongst the supplies. A few minutes later, the carriage took off. She felt her stomach lurch, but she paid it no mind. Her father would never find her now! Wherever she landed, it was going to be free of him.

Finally, after what had seemed like hours, the carriage came to a stop. Quickly, before it could be inspected, she had leapt from the back and sped off, not stopping until she was sure she wasn’t being followed. After a few deep breaths, she looked around. She was in Cloudsdale.

Rainbow Dash looked around her and saw the marvels of the cloud city. From the weather factory, to the cloud houses and even the Wonderbolt stadium. She hadn’t been there ten minutes when a couple of guard ponies came before her.

“Stop!” One of them ordered her as she was about to walk away. “What are you doing here, little miss?”

“I-uh...”

“Where are you parents?”

“They-uh...”

The two police ponies looked to each other, with the mare of the two nodding. “Why don’t you come with us please?” She asked softly as she kneeled down to Rainbow Dash’s level and reached out a hoof to her.

Rainbow Dash nodded her head slowly and both her and the two guards, who looked awfully young when she looked at them. She saw their names on tags attached to their uniform, the orange mare was named Spitfire and the powder blue stallion Soarin.

Carefully, nervously, she followed the two officers along the streets of Cloudsdale. After a moment, Spitfire spoke. “You never did answer our question, squirt. Where’s your parents?”

“They... died,” she answered after some hesitation. As far as she was concerned, those words were true.

“I see,” Spitfire said, giving Soarin a look that said that she didn’t entirely believe it. “So who’s taking care of you?”

“I don’t need anypony!” the filly snapped.

“Actually, yes you do. And since you don’t seem to have any parents, we’ll be leaving you at the Flight Academy until we can find you something.”

“...The Flight Academy?” Rainbow Dash said happily. “That sounds awesome!”


The cyan pegasus sighed as she carried her sleeping daughter to her bed. She had been stuck in that school as the police ponies, who would later become two of the greatest Wonderbolts ever, had said. She feared they would find out where she came from, or that her father would find her, but that never happened. She feared another delivery chariot from Vanhoover would come asking for her, but nothing did.

She couldn’t help but grin. She found out years later that the chariot she had taken was actually filled with illegal spices. There would be no shipping manifesto or anything that could be tracked to her. She had gotten lucky in that regard.

She made friends, first Gilda, who ended up moving back to her home country after two years, then Fluttershy, who was her roommate for a good while. She had gotten her cutie mark, learned to fly, and grown up without parents. Any that the system sent by she merely put on a sour disposition until they were chased off.

She slid Scootaloo beneath the covers, tenderly kissing her goodnight before walking out. She never needed parents. She had a home, a daughter, a place in the Wonderbolts, and five great friends on top of everything. And now, her father... Spectrum... was trying to take it from her, after all these years.

She wasn’t about to let that happen. She would fight tooth and horseshoe to keep everything she had worked so hard for. She swore it.


Three weeks the search for Rainbow Dash went on, and it yielded no results. The search went farther and wider, but nothing came. The town’s ponies found nopony in the countryside. The merchants who had come into the town reported nothing. Finally, the officials declared it called off.

Rainbow Spectrum, already broken before, was now a shattered pony. He showed up in town less and less often. He began drinking, to the point where hardly anypony saw him walking straight. His home became broken and disheveled. He had lost all purpose in life.

In the home of the former Wonderbolt captain, he sat there staring at a picture of him and his late wife Melody. Both were smiling as Melody was holding onto him with her two soft hooves and her stomach swollen from pregnancy. He was beaming to the camera with so much confidence, he would be shocked to see what his future self looked like.

A knock on the door was heard, followed by a newspaper being pushed through the mail dropping in through his door. He got up slowly, making his way to the paper and began reading it gorgilly. The front page was Princess Luna being freed by the Elements of Harmony, who were comprised of six mares. He arched his eyebrow and turned the page where a brief description of the mares were held.

“Applejack, a farmer from the great house of Apple. Pinkie Pie, a local baker from a family of stone farmers. Rarity, a clothing designer fashionista. Fluttershy, an animal caretaker. Twilight Sparkle, a student under Princess Celestia herself. Rainbow Dash-”

His eyes widened to the size of saucers when he read that name, and literally pressed his muzzle to the paper. “Rainbow Dash, weather pony manager and aspiring Wonderbolt...” He re-read the name out loud over and over, breathing faster. His eyes teared up and and he kneeled down to the ground, as he saw the picture of his grown up daughter. Though she was roughly the same colour as him, she had the build of Melody and her eyes. He began to sob into the papers, which were becoming ruined thanks to the wetness.

He looked up, with eyes that showed new life in them. He ran up to his room, and he reached for a traveling cloak in his closet that was covered in dust and cobwebs. He kneeled down to the ground and ripped the wooden board from it loose, revealing a small box inside.

He opened the box and it revealed only a small bag of coins, barely enough for a long trip to Ponyville. He sighed and looked back to his wings, which he had not used since Dashie ran off. He picked himself off and made his way to his daughter’s room, that he had touched since her departure. He went inside it and took a picture of him and her, along with a picture of him and Melody that rested on her old cupboard. He dusted them off and placed them in his coat.

“She needs to know!” he told himself as he ran out of the door, not bothering to lock it nor look back.


“Wait... we fought Nightmare Moon over two years ago. Why th’ hay did it take you that long ta get here?”

“I hardly had any money,” Spectrum said weakly. “Too little for a train ticket, not that any were built for normal ponies up there. And I hadn’t flown since Dashie left, so I had to walk.”

“So... it took you so long...” Twilight muttered. “When’d you get in town?”

“Just two days ago... that’s when Fluttershy found me. I tried to talk to Dashie earlier today, but... she just blew me off...”

They watched him for a moment, wondering whether they should believe him. There were tears in his eyes, a quivering in his voice... much too good for somepony to fake. No, it wasn’t acting, it was the truth, as far as they saw it.

Applejack approached him. “Listen’... Ah’m not gonna pretend there’s any excuse for what you said to her... but,” She closed her eyes and opened them again, revealing them to be moist. “Ah know what it’s like ta lose family. So... Ah’m sorry fer what Ah said. If you really wanna make things right... Ah’ll help ya out.”

“Me too!” Pinkie said. “I’m not gonna let Dashie stay all mean and cranky if you really wanna be nice!”

“I’d... I’d like that,” Spectrum said weakly, smiling for the first time since he had started his story.

“We’re going to be facing an uphill battle,” Rarity noted. “Rainbow Dash isn’t the type to change her mind easily. She’s so over dramatic when she’s angry.”

The other four Element Bearers just stared at her. “...What?”

Twilight Sparkle rubbed her chin. “We need to get Rainbow to agree to the meeting...”

“Ooh, ooh, I know! Let’s throw a ‘Welcome to Ponyville’ party for her daddy! Then she’ll come, and they’ll have fun, and...”

“I don’t think it’s that simple, dear,” Rarity sighed.

“...But it is a good start,” Twilight thought. “We need to get Rainbow Dash to understand that her father’s not going anywhere. We’ll try and talk to her tomorrow.”

Spectrum would have dropped on his knees if he had been feeling well enough to get up. “Th-thank you, you don’t know how much this means to me!”

Fluttershy flew over to him and held onto him, patting his back gently. “You’re not alone, Mister Spectrum, you will never be alone here in Ponyville.” She said to him as she let go of him and helped him lower his head to his bed, where sleep invaded him almost immediately.

Applejack bit her lower lip as she blinked her eyes rapidly. “I thought that Rainbow Dash’s pa was a no good pony, but Ah never expected something so sad ever.”

Twilight nodded silently, looking intently at the stallion before her. Something inside her told her that she must help him, and she always listened to the voice inside her as it was always correct in these situations.

“Girls, I think we need to head back now... it’s getting late.” Twilight said to the others, as she let out a yawn. All the mares, save for Fluttershy, bid each other goodnight and went back to the respectable homes.


Twilight opened the door of the library softly as she walked in, not wanting to make any noise. When she was inside, she saw the heaviest disc on the floor which left a dent right where it lay. She smiled slightly before lighting up her horn and placing it back on its stand. Making her way to the kitchen, she saw her food ice-cold from the time it stood there and she also saw her son's plate finished and rinsed clean.

She walked up the stairs, first to her room and seeing Owlowiscious on his stand over looking the night skies before turning to his mistress and giving a hoo to her. She smiled and climbed another set of stairs, reaching for Spike’s new room and opening it softly.

Inside she saw Spike laying on his bed fast asleep, not even bothering to put himself underneath the new blankets. She shook her head and lifted him up gently, pulling the blankets and tucking him in underneath them. She saw him instinctively pulling the blankets closer to him and heard his breathing as she approached him.

“Spike...” she said softly as she looked down on him, her lips slightly quivering from memories flashing before her as it led to the revelation of how he was really her son, to the moment where he became a pony just like her. She was happy because now he wouldn’t have to leave Equestria and leave her all alone in the world, since she couldn’t imagine a life without him. She then remembered Spectrum’s tale of the past, how he suffered from the loneliness. What if she had had a fight like that? What if Spike hated her like Dash hated Spectrum? What if...

Twilight shook her head as more tears build up and she looked down on her son, vowing to never be in a situation like Spectrum’s. She lowered her head to Spike’s forehead and gave him a soft kiss. “I love you, my son.”