• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 22,612 Views, 353 Comments

The Monster We Made - Corah Il Cappo



We trained her. We taught her. We raised her to godhood. She brought us down to earth.

  • ...
83
 353
 22,612

Greed

Good evening.

My name, in case you don't know yet, is Rarity. You should, however, know my name from my many famous fashion pieces. I was quite the designer. I was also the former element of Generosity, until I was so rudely ended by my former friend.

I'm guessing that you're here to hear about that? Good. Then I'll cut to the chase.

We had attacked Twilight with the Elements of Harmony. Needless to say, it didn't work. I had come prepared to see the elements fail, however. Trying to use the elements without Magic was like trying to make a dress without thread. You could lay out the pieces and arrange them in a beautiful pattern, but if you tried to make use of your creation, it would crumble. That's exactly what happened to us.

Twilight was the element of Magic, and thus, the thread which held harmony together. When she separated from harmony, we crumbled. She reversed the power of the elements, sending our rainbow hurtling back at us in a blast of smoke and flames. We were thrown from our hooves, and scattered about the room like unwanted rag dolls.

I hit the floor chest first, and I swore I felt several ribs crack upon impact. I should have been in pain. I wasn't.

With the elements rendered inert, we were out of options.

Somepony had to stand up and face Twilight.

I rose to my hooves.

Fluttershy was whimpering. Applejack was against a wall bleeding. Rainbow Dash was dead. Pinkie Pie was laying on the stone stone floor, her tiny frame badly battered and covered in bruises. Only myself and the Princess of the Moon remained.

She looked at me.

The look in her eyes said more than words ever could have.

Luna's eyes were heavy, and misty with tears. Her eyes told me that she had to fight, knowing that she could never taste victory. No, her battle would be one of obligation. A fight that she must enter, even though her odds were zero. She was our princess. One of two remnants of a race of goddesses. She was the paradigm that we all were to follow.

Even if it meant we followed her to our graves.

Without speaking, she turned her eyes from me, and back to Twilight. Instantly, her tears seemed to fade. Her eyes became stony and resolute. If I had been able to see my own face at that moment, I would had realized that my eyes had done the same.

Though in life I had been a seamstress, I decided here and now I would face death as a knight. It might sound silly, or perhaps a bit Quixotic, but what other choice did I have? I would not die with dishonor. I intended to go down fashionably.

Twilight looked up at us. My body began to tremble. Her eyes locked with ours, and she spoke. It was the first time in months that I had heard Twilight's voice. I immediately missed the silence of the throne room.

"Tell me Princess, why do you still fight? You know you can't win."

"I fight because I know I'm the only one who will."

A loud crack of thunder punctuated Luna's words as a streak of lightning suddenly sprang from her horn. The bolt shot through the air, bound for the usurper's skull. Twilight lifted a hoof, and the lightning instantly dissipated. Then, she turned to me.

"And you Rarity, why do you fight?"

My blood ran cold. I stared back into the lifeless black holes that were once her eyes.

"I fight because there's nothing else I can do. You've already killed all of my friends. All I can do now is fight for them."

"Very well."

My friend turned enemy lunged for me, only to be intercepted by Luna. The Lunar Princess took a wild swing with her hoof, and tried to clout Twilight across the cheek, but to no avail. Her hoof froze mere inches from her foe's face.

Twilight tilted her head slightly, and Luna's foreleg cracked. This time however, simply breaking the limb was not enough for the usurper. What followed was a horrific grinding and crackling sound. I put my hooves over my ears, but I could still hear it. The noise made me sick, and I am ashamed to say that I vomited on the spot. It was then that I realized that I must have been bleeding internally, perhaps as a result of my surely broken ribs.

Luna was suddenly hurled aside with such force that she broke through the brick wall of the throne room. I heard a distinctive meaty thud in the courtyard below.

I stood there for what seemed like hours, hooves over my ears, shivering and whimpering like a scared filly. I was alone.

Only two ponies remained, myself, and the goddess.

Somepony had to stand up and face Twilight.

I rose to my hooves.

My quivering ground to a halt. I clenched my teeth, and stared back into those lifeless black eyes. Silently, I began to weave a spell.

Compared to my foe, I barely had an inkling of magical training. It didn't matter. This wasn't a fight I intended to win.

My eyes spotted a piece of metal on the throne room floor. It was a broken piece of the building's iron frame, knocked loose when Luna was sent through the wall. I took hold of it. A fitting sword for the impotent knight. I charged towards Twilight, unleashing everything I had in a final scream.

Then I blinked.

In the space it took my eyes to open and shut, my enemy had torn the blade from my grasp and rammed it through my chest.

I had been stabbed in the heart.

A very fashionable death indeed.