• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 6,072 Views, 168 Comments

Book of Pink - Homeshine



For her birthday, Pinkie gives Twilight a book on how to be Pinkie. At first dubious, Twilight becomes fascinated.

  • ...
5
 168
 6,072

When I Am Happy

"And then I ate ALL the day-old sweets. We usually make crumbs out of them, and then-. But first I had to. Wait, before that, I ..." Pinkie had been motormouthing all day, making up for lost time. Some of the sentences got confused en route, only to be picked up later; well, most of the time.

"The thing is, it's like the answer to that question..." Pinkie trailed off.

"Which question?"

"You know, 'What is the answer to this question'?"

"Seven? Wait, do you mean what I finally, officially answered, or ... ?"

"No, silly. The real answer to the question."

"That any answer to the question must be correct, since it lacks sufficient requirements to make any answer incorrect?"

Pinkie stopped, "Yuppers. You can make up whatever you want, and you're right! So you can make up your own answer. The secret is to not overthink it. Is seven a lucky number, then?"

"Well, it has various magical properties, which - "

"THERE you are!" A midair turbulence resolved itself into Rainbow Dash, "Do we want to help clean up downtown or uptown?"

"Hmm, okay, everypony, pick a number" Twilight suggested.

"Okay. Now what?" Dash asked.

Twilight smiled, "If it's odd, head downdown. If it's even, head uptown."

"Twilight, is infinity odd or even?"

"Hang on, we need to pick again. Pinkie needs a number besides infinity."

Dash rolled her eyes. "Maybe you guys should help Zecora, then."

"Okey dokie, Loki."

* * *

"We're here!" Pinkie Pie shouted at maximum volume as soon as her voice was within audible range of Zercoa's place. Perhaps luckily, Zecora was standing outside waiting for them:

"The Alicorn amulet now has its escort
To bring it to its proper port"

Twilight added, "Just to make sure, you are not going to try it on, Pinkie."

"There's a differene between silly and stupid," Pinkie skipped on ahead.

Twilight dutifully collected the amulet's darkwood box, placing it in a smaller pocket of her saddlebags so she could feel the ressuring lump of its bulk. She wanted to take no chances on losing it and having someone else find it. She felt as if she were in some kind of 'Fellowship of the Alicorn Amulet', trying to safeguard it.

Twi's load finally secured, they said their goodbyes again. Leaving the clearing, Twilight mulled the alicorn amulet over in her mind, and its power, and turned to ask Pinkie, "What would you get if you could have anything?"

"Hmmmmm." Pinkie thought as she walked alongside Twilight back through the forest. She thought for so long that Twilight was starting to wonder if Pinkie's mental paths hadn't gotten crossed again; but finally Pinkie replied. "The only thing I can think of is to make the bestest best cupcakes ever for Celestia and the rest of my friends, but we already did that last time. So what about you, Twi?"

Twilight thought, too. "Usually I only wanted to please everyone."

"Well, me too!" grinned Pinkie Pie, "I'm good at that."

Twilight smiled back, "Not exactly in the same way, though. I guess I wanted to do everything right. Not mess up and let everyone down."

"You don't need to worry about that. We'd still love you."

"I'm glad I meet with your approval, at least."

"After all, we'd still need someone to hug."

"You can't get a hug without giving a hug, after all," Twilight said.

"Yup, because a new, fresh one is made every time."

"I ... hadn't thought of it quite that way."

"So many things are that way. You can only make half of a hug. Someone else has to make you the other half. Teamwork! Like sweetberry cupcakes! And this way you know the hugs are ALWAYS fresh."

"An ancient philosopher once asked 'What is the sound of one hoof clapping?' because it takes two hooves to make applause."

"Or four hooves, for double applause. Or three, what would that sound like?"

Twilight pondered this. "This reminds me of my imaginary numbers class."

"It makes every hug slightly different. No two are alike. Like snowflakes. There's no such thing as a perfect hug. You make the best one you can."


Twilight thought about this for several minutes as they walked. "Each part adds to the whole."

"It's all very mathy. You should be good at it, Twi."

Twilight laughed at that. She finally admitted, "I guess I don't have anything to worry about, then."

Pinkie skipped on ahead again, humming quietly.

And, at certain times, not so quietly.