• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 20,227 Views, 395 Comments

Spiders and Magic: Rise of Spider-Mane - Maximus_Reborn



Spider-Man is brought to Equestria for a second chance at life, but his luck may ruin his opportunity before it can truly begin.

  • ...
263
 395
 20,227

PreviousChapters Next
Acceptance

Chapter Fifteen "Acceptance"

Early rays of light filtered through the window's of Twilight house, bringing the lavender mare's gaze from her book. Repositioning herself in her seat so that her flank fell further into the couch's cushion, Twilight stretched her hooves over her head and smiled brightly. She had woken up quite some time before daybreak, unable to keep herself asleep for long. Today was meant to be a grand one, and Twilight couldn't be happier.

A week had passed since Spider-Mane saved the village from the dragon (once again), but this time in order to give the masked hero a proper show of gratitude, Mayor Mare decided to host a celebration in his honor. After everything that Peter had gone through, both in his old home and Equestria, Twilight felt it was the least her friend deserved. A burning anticipation washed over her being, despite the chill that traveled in the early morning air.

"Sparkle... I am in need."

Trixie's voice echoed from upstairs, transforming Twilight's bright smile into an exasperated frown. It had also been a week since Trixie moved in. While her demands were simple, regarding food and shelter, it did not change the fact that Trixie came off as a spoiled brat, forcing everypony to cater to her every whim. Adjustments were made throughout the week, but the biggest change was Trixie being given Twilight's room, forcing everypony to move into the living room.

Twilight let out a defeated sigh. All things considered, that situation could have been worse. Feeling obligated to help Peter and make amends with Trixie, Twilight did what she could despite the amount of annoyance the latter generated. While the couch was not nearly as comfortable as her bed, it sufficed on the grounds of providing sleep for the busy mare. Spike's bed was moved downstairs as well, but Peter willingly gave all rights of the couch, his previous sleeping spot, to Twilight and chose to sleep in the library with only a blanket.

Her lips curled into a smile. Even now, Peter's selfless nature remained intact.

Not wanting to irritate the waiting unicorn, which was easier said than done, Twilight trotted upstairs to her bedroom where Trixie rested. Once through the doorway, the blue unicorn lazily stirred, brushing her hooves across her eyes as her silver-blue mane, mangled from sleep, fell over her face. The chilling temperature had gone unnoticed to Trixie, thanks to the thick quilt wrapped comfortably around her body, and she eventually spotted the unicorn standing across her position, scoffing in response.

"Certainly took you long enough." Her voice was as condescending as ever. Placing her hoof over her mouth, Trixie feigned a few coughs. "My throat grows dry. Provide Trixie with a means to quench her thirst." She closed her eyes and waved Twilight off. "Post haste."

"All right." Twilight shrugged her shoulders, thanking the request was not as tedious as past others. Twilight turned but stopped by the door. "Trixie. I'll be leaving in a few to help finish with the preparations for the festival. So you'll be on you own for most of the day. Is that okay?"

Trixie shook her head with a humorless smile on her lips. "Ah, right. The Spider-Mane festival. Trixie almost forgot it was today." Stealing a glance at the window, Trixie shielded her eyes from the sun's intruding light. "You are not required to ask for my permission regarding your personal business. So it's fine. I don't really care what you do," she said offhandedly, pausing to allow her confident grin to surface. "Perhaps Trixie will grace everypony with her presence as well."

Twilight smiled. "Thanks, Trixie. I-"

Trixie turned her head away and huffed. "Don't." Her tone had turned bitter. "We are not friends." Pulling her quilt back over her head, Trixie hid her face from Twilight's point of view. "I'm still waiting for my drink."

Breaking her gaze away from Trixie, Twilight shook her head with a saddened look in her eyes. She had not expected Trixie to forgive her so soon, but it was clear Twilight hoped to at least mend some of the bad history between them. As she made her way downstairs, Twilight noticed the door to the library had been left open, prompting the mare to take a look inside. Usually, Peter would have been found in the center of the room, but instead only his blankets were left behind, folded in a neat stack.

"Well," Twilight paused, raising her brow, "where could he have gone at this hour?"


Rarity shook her head disapprovingly at the tattered costume on her table, the numerous tears giving the designer an ulcer deep down. Her large blue irises blankly stared at the stallion next to her, who scratched the back of his head sheepishly in response. She accepted the damage done by the dragon. After all, dragons are colossal beasts, and Peter saved the village from one (twice). However, there had not been any sightings of a dragon, or anything for the matter, since the incident had been rectified.

"You behemoth! What happenedthistime?!" Rarity pegged, lifting the costume from the table.

Peter closed his eyes and shrugged. "Funny story, actually. It's almost as funny as the time I accidentally washed my whites with the costume. Man, everything was pink, even my unmentionables, but that's nothing compared to-"

Rarity's hoof fell over Peter's mouth, ending his rambling tirade. "Answer the question, darling."

The stallion was silent for a moment, an amazing feat on its own merits. "Well, Rainbow Dash wanted to spar last night. Thing was, I found out I wasn't fighting a pony but an angry bull. One thing led to another, and I, uh-" The rest of his sentence diminished into incoherent mumbling, making the latter impossible to understand.

Waving her hooves, Rarity edged closer to Peter. "What? Don't dawdle. Tell me!"

The images of last night were too clear to forget. In the midst of their sparring match, Peter shot a strand of webbing to Rainbow Dash's back, but he hesitated, not wanting to pull the mare down too roughly. That proved to be a most fatal mistake on Peter's part. Rainbow took to the sky at high-speed, and Peter instinctively held on to his webbing, thus making his second crucial mistake of the evening. Determined to shake off her opponent, Rainbow flew through the forest, missing every tree in her path.

Unfortunately, Peter was not so lucky.

"Long story short, I'm never riding shotgun with Rainbow Dash again," Peter grimaced, shaking his head for every tree he 'encountered' last night.

Rarity, unimpressed with the tale, only exhaled. "You're both incredibly brutish and inconsiderate. The celebration is today. What could you have possibly been thinking?"

Scratching the back of his head, Peter plainly stated, "I wasn't."

"Indeed. You weren't." Rarity pulled the costume from the table and gently tossed it over Peter's face. However, the mare managed to smile, using her hoof to lift the spandex from his eyes. "You are most fortunate I prepared for such a situation."

Peter raised his brow, unsure of what the mare meant by her statement, and that same moment, Rarity trotted across the room until she reached her cupboard. Opening the door, Rarity quickly found her target of interest resting on the bottom shelf and used her magic to levitate it into the air. As she closed the door with her back hoof, Rarity dropped a black box on the center of her bed. With a couple of clicks, the box flew open, and once Peter joined the unicorn's side, he bore witness to a pair of fresh, not to mention new, pair of red and blue tights.

"You made a spare? That's awesome!" Peter exclaimed, placing both of his hooves on Rarity's shoulders.

"Yes," she calmly replied, pushing his hooves away. With her stern gaze locked on his hazel irises, Rarity placed her hoof against the stallion's chest. "...and I expect you to take care of this one." Shaking her head, she stole a quick glance at the shredded costume across the room before settling her sights back on Peter. "At least until I repair the other. Would you consider it, darling?"

Peter nervously chuckled. "I can try. No guarantees."

Rarity mock-frowned, poking her lips out in a pouting fashion. "You have to look good for everypony, Peter. You can't accomplish that as a shredded mess." Her lips curled into a genuine smile. Rarity placed the costume over the stallion's neck, not before giving Peter an affectionate wink. "You should get ready. Your public is waiting."

Tossing the costume in his patented backpack, Peter turned to make his leave but stopped, taking a moment to wrap his hooves around Rarity's neck. The mare lost her nerve, melting in the stallion's grasp, albeit swiftly. In his dense nature, Peter relinquished his hold and trotted out of the room with a goofy grin on his face.

"This is totally new for me. I'm used to having a town hate me, but it's nice to be proven wrong every now and then. I'll try not to lay an egg." Peter gestured a wave before completely exiting Rarity's home.

Rarity felt the temperature in her cheeks rise. She hated acting so flustered around anypony, and it seemed her conditions only worsened around Peter as time went by. The fact he was oblivious frustrated the mare to an extent, but she was grateful, fearful on what would happen if Peter ever realized what he was doing. Rarity shook her head, pushing those foalish thoughts to the side. A matter for another day, the mare turned, but she looked around aimlessly, exhaling at a late realization.

"Well... what shallIwear then?"


Several hours had passed, the sun perched at its highest point in the sky, and the festival was underway. Ponies gathered in the middle of the village before a large stage, where a pony with a pale amber coat and ocean blue irises stood behind a podium. Banners and posters were placed all around Ponyville, each with a different illustration of Spider-Mane on display, and some of the ponies practiced a similar trait, wearing various forms of merchandise in the hero's honor, from shirts to plastic masks.

Brushing a strand of her blueish gray mane behind her ear, the mare behind the podium giggled into the microphone and gestured a wave, managing to grasp everypony's attention in the area.

"Greetings, everypony. I'm Mayor Mare, and I would like to officially welcome you all to the Spider-Mane Appreciation Festival!" she enthusiastically cheered, clopping her hooves together.

The village's cheers echoed throughout the skies, reaching the edge of Whitetail Wood, and their accumulated applause sent tremors across the earth. The cheers only increased in volume when a new banner opened directly behind Mayor Mare, revealing a sketch of Spider-Mane in a midair pose. After a few moments, the mayor raised her hoof, prompting everypony to simmer down. Once silence ran through the village air, Twilight and Rarity stepped from the front row underneath the stage and took their places alongside Mayor Mare.

"As many of you are aware, our village has fallen prey to a dragon attack. Not once, but twice," Mayor Mare sternly stated, pausing to face the banner behind her. "However, the selfless acts of a single pony saved our village on both occasions."

Within the front row, Rainbow Dash edged over to Applejack with her hoof over her mouth. "So why isn't Princess Luna here again?" she whispered, cautiously not to attract the ears of others.

Applejack shook her head. "She ain't want a part of it. Can't really figure why."

Before their conversation could continue, Mayor Mare stepped down from the podium, and Rarity rose to take her place, clearing her throat upon reaching the microphone. While today was much too hot to wear a dress and a t-shirt not being her idea for proper attire, Rarity sported a simple ribbon around her neck. Its color and design were reminiscent to that of Spider-Mane's costume, crimson and blue with a spider emblem in the center. Several ponies wore this same ribbon, including her friends sitting in the front row.

Rarity smiled inwardly. She was happy her design was becoming quite popular.

"Many of you may speculate whether Spider-Mane really exists or not. I admit, the idea of a pony strong enough to beat a fully-grown dragon into submission is absurd." The designer closed her eyes briefly. "However, from personal experience, I'm allowed to believe in the absurd." The emotions she felt from that night ignited within her chest. "If not for him, I would have perished in my burning home."

Her voice choked. Rarity withheld her emotions, not wanting to lose her nerve in front of everypony. The night never left her memories, haunting her mind every so often. Everything came so close to ending. She would have lost her friends, Sweetie Belle, and a chance to live out her life to the fullest. Her life only continued because Peter was there to save her. Rarity forced the lump down in her throat, unable to do the same with the tears forming in her eyes.

"Believe my words, Ponyville." She sniffled, allowing her lips to curl into a smile. "Spider-Mane is very real, and I'm eternally in his debt."

Ponies among the first row smiled in correspondence to Rarity's words, but Derpy, having a seat next to Fluttershy, rose to her hooves. Instead of a ribbon, she instead wore a shirt with a heart next to Spidey's face. She cheered loudly for a moment, leaving several others to follow suit, applauding with great earnest. Rarity left the podium, allowing Twilight to take her place. Once Rainbow Dash pulled Derpy back into her seat, the cheers diminished, leaving a smile to form on Twilight's face.

"Not much is really known about Spider-Mane, but he always seems to arrive when we need him most. Whether he's gone or somewhere in Ponyville, let's show him that we appreciate what he's done for us!"

Afterward, confetti fell from several party balls skewed across the village, falling from the sky like leaves lost in a drift. Everypony scattered, preparing to enjoy the activities available, but somepony screamed out, pointing to the sky. Swinging through the confetti, Spider-Mane released his webbing and landed on top of the stage, directly above Twilight's position. Once all eyes in the crowd spotted the hero, their cheers increased in volume, and the applause heard could have easily been mistaken for an earthquake.

Spider-Mane remained perched on the stage, like a hawk watching over the land.

'This is surreal. They actually like me here! Normally, I'd find a bunch of ponies cheering me on weird... while wearing merchandise nonetheless... but this is really happening. They even have Spider-Mane flags!'

He awkwardly waved at the crowd, specifically at the mares gathered on the front row. A sense of warmth coursed through his body at the sight of Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash sporting his Spidey ribbons around their necks. However, Derpy caused a sheepish grin to form under his mask. The mare's shirt was enough to win Peter over, but the small, stitch Spider-Mane doll she held over her head pushed him into a world of blissfulness and madness.

'There are dolls of me? Nothing says 'acceptance' like action figures! If this turns out to be a dream, God, that would be really low. It'd be even worse if I spontaneously combusted for no reason. Then I'd know you hated me for sure.'

In his trance, Spider-Mane lately realized Twilight waving her hoof, motioning for him to come down. Shaking his head, the stallion flipped into the air and latched a strand of webbing onto his previous position. Spider-Mane descended slowly (albeit upside down), stopping just above the ground, beside Rarity, and behind Twilight. Mayor Mare rushed up to the stallion, her excitement evident in her movements, and repeatedly clopped her hooves together.

"It is great that I finally get to see you!" Mayor Mare reached out and grasped his hoof with two of her own. "On behalf of Ponyville, I'd love to thank you."

The mare's enthusiasm threatened to nearly shake Spidey's hoof from his shoulder, sending vibrations through the webbing he held onto. "As y-your f-friendly neighborhood Spider-Mane, I-I'm h-happy to lay the s-smackdown on m-my not-so-friendly n-neighbors."

Twilight giggled, turning back to face the crowd, who had grown even more eccentric since the hero's arrival. Stepping to the side, she offered her place in the podium. "Here's to the Amazing Spider-Mane! Do you have anything to add?"

Scratching the back of his head, Spidey readied to leap from his webbing, but the microphone magically levitated to his position thanks to Twilight, evident by her smile. Normally quick with his words, Peter found the thousands of gazes unnerving, and feelings of trepidation only worsened due to the eerily quiet atmosphere, as if the entire world hung by the edge of his words. This was a golden opportunity to start anew with a society that didn't hate him, and Peter was terrified that he'd find a way to squander it, like everything remotely positive in his life.

Spidey stammered aimlessly, unsure of what to say or how to deliver it. Fortunately, as if sensing Peter's weakening resolve, Rarity's hoof fell on the side of his face, and what followed was a soft peck on the cheek, thus freeing the stallion from his frozen trance. The side of his face practically burned, sending a wave of warmth coursing through Peter's spirit, and Spike's jaw dropped, his claws clenching with jealousy.

Shifting his gaze from Rarity to the ones standing in the front row, Spider-Mane relinquished his webbing, finding a way to land squarely on his hooves. For what seemed like a few seconds to everypony felt like an eternity for Peter. Ever since he arrived in Equestria, Peter found ways to gripe about the bad things despite the overwhelming amount of good that came to exist.

Gone was the bad press, away were the super-villains, and bye-bye went the amount of hatred Peter felt from others. Now, he had a village that acceptedandwelcomed his supernatural powers. While the problems still gathered, they were admittedly welcomed compared to dealing with Shocker and Electro shenanigans, even though Trixie made that argument debatable to an extent.

However, in Equestria, he had something Earth or any world couldn't begin to replicate. Friends. Amazing ones, even. Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Twilight had something no one else did. They knew Peter's darkest secrets, and instead of closing off their hearts, they accepted what stood before them, offering complete trust in return.

Applejack always remained honest, giving the truth even when it hurt to do so. Rarity continued to be generous, despite the number of costumes Peter found a way to destroy. Pinkie Pie always found a way to make him laugh, even during the hardest of times. Rainbow Dash, despite her jealous behavior at points, never once lost sight of her loyalty to Peter. Though he didn't deserve it, Fluttershy's kindness remained steady, the mare lending a hoof more often than she should have.

Then, of course, there was Twilight. Peter couldn't quite place his hoof on it, and even if he had, it seemed too cliché to believe. Twilight always seemed to have felt what Peter had, whether it was joy, guilt, anger, or sadness. Perhaps it was because the girl had a horrible knack for placing herself in others' positions too much, or if it was something more divine. Peter wasn't certain, but a strong bond, in which he could not deny, had been created.

Spider-Man may have been responsible for many faults in his life, but right now, Peter had to thank his alter-ego. If not for the superpowers, he never would have had the chance to live a new life with friends as irreplaceable as these. He was done whining. For as long as he clinged to the past, Peter would never see what the future had in store. Right now, the future was bright, and it was high time he enjoyed the ride. He'd forever follow Uncle Ben's words.

Just now. Spider-Man, or rather Spider-Mane, would use his power responsibly for the sake of his new home, Equestria.

With a new swing of confidence, Spider-Mane raised his hooves valiantly and stated into the microphone, "Ponyville, your friendly neighborhood Spider-Mane is here to stay!"


The moon rose, giving birth to a new night. The festival came to a close, and everypony returned home. Within Twilight's home, Peter, no longer in costume, sat buried up to his neck with letters, each decorated with hearts and signs of approval. Applejack emptied another bag of letters onto his pile, giggling at the sight of her friend's widening grin.

"There's so much fan mail! The most I ever got back at home were death threats in the newspaper and bills. I think I'm going to faint. I just hope I don't get a paper cut," Peter said, failing to organize the mess around him.

Pinkie Pie rose from the pile in a burst just inches away from Peter, giggling uncontrollably. "You can build a house with all of these letters! Better hope you don't have a big bad wolf coming after you. He'd just blow it down."

Exhaling, Peter placed his hoof over his chest. "Like you did my heart?"

Taking a seat across from the pile, Applejack removed the hat from her head, allowing her long blonde hair to fall across her shoulders. "Ah' think that's the last of them, Pete. That's enough mail to last a pony a lifetime."

"Tell me about it. It'll take at least a couple of days to get through Scootaloo's pile, let alone everything else." He pointed at the pile next to Twilight, who was busy organizing the letters by name. Peter shrugged with a grin. "Don't get me started on Derpy's collection."

"Oh, yes! I'm so happy for you!" Fluttershy nodded, politely handing a letter to Twilight.

Rarity entered the room with a small cup levitating next to her head, and after taking a small sip of the sweet contents inside, she placed the cup down onto the nearest table. "You certainly deserve the attention, darling. Now everypony knows how amazing you are," she said sweetly, earning a soft smile from Peter.

Rainbow scoffed, tossing an opened letter over her shoulder. "I dunno about 'amazing'. I kinda kicked his butt yesterday."

"My word! Can you not respect somepony's privacy for even a moment?!" Rarity stood slackjawed, her brow twitching madly.

Peter raised his hoof and waved it slightly. "It's okay, Rarity. I can actually use some help reading these."

"So withthatsaid...!" Rainbow Dash snatched another letter from her pile and tore it open. She rolled her eyes. "Most of these say the same thing. 'Amazing this'. 'Amazing that'." Her eyes finally settled on the letter in her hooves. "This one's even from...what?!"

Everypony turned at the Pegasus' outburst, only to spot Rainbow tumbling from her spot and crashing headfirst to the hard wooden floor. Before anypony could check on her condition, Rainbow leaped to her hooves, ignoring the knot protruding out of her mane. She sped over to Twilight, unknowingly knocking Peter out of the pile, and rammed the letter directly into her face.

"What am I looking for, Rainbow?" the unicorn murmured, the text too close for her eyes to see clearly.

Rainbow pulled away, the look of shock having imbedded itself into the mare's face. Throwing her hoof over her eyes, she eventually surrendered the letter over to Twilight. "Just read it."

Peter, with his head on the ground and body drooped over Fluttershy's, groaned. "Don't tell me it's junk mail. Darn advertisers. They can't take a hint that no one wants their business."

"I believe you mean 'nopony'?" Fluttershy weakly added, trying not to focus too deeply on the way her skin tingled from Peter's touch.

"It's not junk mail. It's from..." Twilight's eyes widened at the name etched on the top of the letter. "Spitfire?"

Everypony shifted their head in Twilight's direction, but Peter remained undeterred, merely raising his brow. "Who now?"

Rainbow Dash flew over, the wind blowing across Peter's face once it caught up with the Pegasus. "Who is Spitfire?! She's only the leader of the Wonderbolts! Do you live under a rock or something?!"

The stallion shrugged his shoulders. "Well, I've only been in this world for three weeks now."

Rainbow's shoulders fell in a slump. "Oh... right."

"Um..." Fluttershy murmured, causing Peter to shift his gaze to meet hers. "The Wonderbolts are a group of aerial acrobats, and Rainbow Dash is a fan."

Rolling from his spot atop of the meek Pegasus, Peter made his way over to Twilight. "So what does Miss Spitfire want? Is she a fan, too?"

Twilight's eyes scrolled through the letter, growing in width the further they traveled. After a few moments, the lavender mare shook her head. "Actually, no." She placed the letter down where everypony could see. "Here. I'll read it out loud."


Hey, Spider-Mane.

I don't know if you are the type to watch the shows, but I'm Spitfire of the Wonderbolts. And before you ask, yes, this is the real me. I even left the official Wonderbolt insignia on the back of the letter to show this is legit.

Anyway.

I keep hearing tales about how 'awesome' you are. They say you're strong. Heck, everypony says you're pretty fast, too. I'm not the type to join bandwagons. I lead them.

So, here's what I got for you. If you're up for it, come to Manehattan and race me across the city. I left you a ticket for the train. If you accept, come to Manehattan Palace. It's the hotel we're booking for now. I'll cover the rest of your expenses when... or if... you show up.

Maybe after I can believe the hype. Or put an end to it. Whatever.

Hope to see you soon.

-Spitfire


"Manehattan? Are you kidding me? And here I thought I was being original with Spider-Mane," Peter dumbly muttered, astounded by the coincidence.

Rainbow's hoof tapped against the floor, her tail whipping to the side. "I can't believe it! Spitfire wants to raceyou! She should be challengingme!" The Pegasus rushed up to Peter. "Gah! Youhaveto accept! She called you out!"

The stallion scratched the back of his head. "What's with you? You're flip-flopping harder than a see-saw." Shaking his head, Peter only sighed. "Besides, I don't have to prove a point to anyone- er... anypony."

"I don't know, sugarcube." Applejack interjected, turning the ticket over. Once the Wonderbolt insignia was spotted on the back, the blonde brushed her hair behind her ear. "She's challenging you fair and square. Heck, she's even paying for your trip."

Rarity pressed her hooves over her cheeks and sighed blissfully. "In Manehattan nonetheless. It's a wondrous city I've long to visit, and I hear the Manehattan Palace is quite divine. Five star service is impossible to turn down, darling."

The increasing number of pushes made his protest more difficult to stand by, causing the stallion to raise his hooves defensively. "Girls... seriously. I don't know if..."

"I've never thrown a party in a city. I bet it'd be lots of fun!" Pinkie bounced in place, causing a bead of sweat to fall along Peter's chin.

"Hang on, everypony," Twilight lifted the ticket, furrowing her brow at a peculiar sight. "This ticket's more of a pass. It says up to ten ponies can ride with it."

Peter's ears fell at the sound of the news while everypony's rose with eager perkiness. "Oh, wait a second..."

That same second, Peter disappeared in a blur, having been tackled to the floor by Rainbow Dash. Her hooves planted firmly on his chest, the mare sternly stared him down. "You have to accept now!"

Fluttershy reared her head over Peter's pinned body, her gaze falling to the side. "I've never... been to Manehattan before," she hesitantly stated.

Much to Peter's dismay, all of the mares in the room hovered over him, their large glossy irises locked on him intently. One girl's pleas were bad enough, but six was another form of torture, developed on the planet Venus one may say. If the choice was his alone, he would have politely declined the offer. However, it seemed more than his pride was at stake. Some wanted him to accept the challenge while the others wanted to go on the trip, and it was possible everypony wanted a combination of both choices.

Girls were such iffy creatures.

Twilight, sitting directly above Peter, lowered her head until her snout nearly touched his own. "So, Peter... what's your decision?"

Peter scoffed. He really didn't have a choice in the matter. However, the chance to go to a city seemed too good to turn down, and who was he to disappoint his friends? After all, he promised himself that he'd start having fun when the opportunity rose, and with friends as unique as the ones around him, Peter knew it'd be a thrill ride through and through.

Raising his hoof, Peter smiled widely. "Pack your bags, everypony. We're going to Manehattan!"

PreviousChapters Next