• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 16,312 Views, 851 Comments

Monster - BlackWing



A human with a rather unique ability is hunted, till he find himself in a land different to his own.

  • ...
71
 851
 16,312

Life in the Wilds

Nightshade's Nightmare Night

While he slept, trying to forget his pain, Nightshade encountered a familiar, but annoying face. He wasn't even surprised at her appearance any more, he'd gotten used to having her pop up right next to him.

"Well look who's back. I trust you've been having fun?" Lyra said sarcastically.

"Oh LOADS. Yesterday I almost DIED from poison and had to get saved by some kids and a potion maker who speaks only in rhyme, and today I feel the worst pain imaginable." He had plenty of sarcasm of his own.

Lyra didn't know Zecora, so she didn't think think anything of it. Instead she just let out a laugh, but asked a serious question, so what she was saying didn't match her facial expression.

"What could hurt more than almost dying?" She inquired.

"Have you even been kicked with enough force to kill a lion, right in your fertility?" He shot back, obviously annoyed again. All Lyra could mutter was an, "Oh." She suddenly became very quiet.

"What, you're not gonna bombard me with questions this time?" He asked half sarcastic, and half curious.

"Not this time, I figured you were in enough pain as it is without me talking your head off, and besides, I don't want you to leave." She said with a sullen look.

"You're finally getting it." Nightshade stated plainly. "Since I've already told you a lot in our short visits, maybe you could tell me something?"


Lyra was a little surprised. She was interested in him, but she never thought that he'd be interested in her. Then again, they didn't have talking ponies wherever humans were from, so she guessed it made sense. However, rather than asking about her world, the human asked something completely unexpected.

"Why are you so interested in humans?" He said.

So Lyra began her story, telling him that she used to dream of other humans, seeing their world, and noticing that everything in hers was based off objects used for human use. How things that were meant to be used with hands had developed in a hoofed world, and were operated with magic. The whole story took several hours, and rather than interrupting her, the human just listened intently. Seems it was just questions that annoyed him.

"I know you don't really like questions, but can I ask you just one?" The teal unicorn asked.

"I guess so." He said.

"What's your name?" She followed.

Nightshade face-palmed. Of all the times they had spoken, however brief, he had completely neglected to give her his name. Lyra seemed interested in what he did with his hands, as they did the same thing.

"Why are you face-hoofing?" She asked.

"Face-hoof? Oh, where i'm from we have hands not hooves, so we call it face-palm, after the palm of our hands. And I'm doing it because having not told you my name, I have been incredibly rude. Even if you're annoying, that's the least I should do." He shook his head. "I had a different name before, but I changed it, because it's a reminder of a past I'd rather forget. Just call me Nightshade.

"Alright Nightshade, well, at least you didn't wake up and block me out again. It's morning, by the way." Lyra said as she disappeared.

Nightshade woke up, to find that he was lying is a very different position then he fell asleep in, and wondered at the miracle that he hadn't fallen out of the tree due to his tossing and turning. Completely forgetting about yesterday's bad memories, he got up, and saw his fallen savior. The dead tree that he had given his injuries too. Ripping pieces off, quite glad to have some wood that wouldn't come back to life when he wasn't looking and attack him, he fashioned some makeshift snow shoes. After all, he didn't know the climate, but it was definitely getting colder, and he didn't want to get caught in the snow.

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle didn't visit often, over the next couple months because they had other jobs they had to tend to, but Scootaloo came frequently, since she was an orphan and didn't have a family to go home to, or chores to do. She decided that she would ask a very delicate question.

"Umm, Nightshade?" She asked, her voice quaking.

"Hey Scoots, what is it?" He returned his own question, using her nickname.

"Well, as you know, I'm an orphan, and I don't have any other family members that I know of, so I live in the orphanage, and I was just wondering if maybe....."She began to stutter incoherently. Nightshade stood up, and she almost thought that he was going to get mad, until he crouched down, and gave her a hug.

"I know how hard it is to be alone, of course you can stay with me. He said. He became really fond of his little friend, and it hurt him to know that she was just as alone as he was. "Will you be okay with it? I mean, I AM a monster after all." He said laughingly.

"I DON'T CARE." Said the crying orange pegasus. "You've been better to me than anypony, and you helped me and my friends. You're no monster, you're amazing. Monster's are cruel, and you are kind." She returned the hug.

"Then it's settled, you'll stay with me from now on, but, there's three problems now that we have to deal with right away, and I'm going to need you for all of them." Scootaloo became a little sad, she didn't want to be a problem, but also a little curious. Was could this amazing creature that had given her so much possible need her for?"

"First, I don't have a house, and If you're going to live with me, that's going to be a priority." She was confused.

"Where have you been sleeping then?" She asked puzzled.

"Well, I don't need to sleep that often, but when I do, I normally climb a tree." Scootaloo was shocked. He slept in a tree? Was he crazy? She didn't care.

"I can handle getting the wood to build it, but I'll need an axe to cut down the trees, as well as a saw for cutting them to size, and I'd have to go to town for that. You can take these bits to go get it, I got some pay for helping Zecora collect some plants for her potions. Poison joke is no laughing matter." He giggled as he handed over a small pouch filled with the jingling coins.

"Second thing is, this forest can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, so I'll have to teach you the ins and out's of forest life. I'm sure Zecora would be able to help with that too." Giving her a pat on the head.

"And third, the most important thing of all. If you start getting chased, you need to escape, but you can't do that on the forest floor. You're going to need to learn.." he stopped to give dramatic pause, "to fly." The orange pegasus was absolutely ecstatic.

"Oh ma gosh oh ma gosh oh ma gosh thankyouthankyouthankyou THANKYOU!" Giving him a hug that nearly squeezed the life out of him.

"Okay okay kid, now get going, we have work to do." He smiled.

Construction of their little cabin went very quickly, mostly because a certain someone never got tired. Scootaloo, that is. She was so excited, she almost never slept the entire time they built, and she may have had a little help staying awake from her new parent. They worked for 3 days and 3 nights, building a cabin in the clearing that the orange pegasus originally crashed near. There were still remnants of the camp, so they had to be cleaned away first. Nightshade chopped down trees, turned the wood into planks, and built the walls, doors, and roof supports. Scootaloo got a load of hay together for the thatched roof.

Rather than using nails, because they were expensive, he shaped each piece to fit perfectly, and used thick wooden pegs to hold it all together. Having no glass for windows, they settled for some square holes, which could be covered at will by closing vertical shutters. They also made some beds, a fireplace out of stones, a table and some chairs. The whole place had a rather rustic feel to it, and fit perfectly out in the woods. If you didn't know where it was, there was no way you'd find it.

They slept their first night in the cabin, and they laid down for what would be the best sleep that either had in a long time. Climbing into bed, Nightshade gave Scootaloo a kiss on the forehead, headed off the bed himself.

"Goodnight Scoots." He smiled.

"Goodnight, Nightshade." She returned.

"Please, call me Dad."

OMG D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I actually started crying while writing this. Scootaloo finally found someone to give her the love she needs. I know that most other fic's put Scootaloo as an orphan, but that's because it WORKS. It explains why we never see her family, and why she's overly attached to Rainbow Dash. She's looking for a role model. I know I planned on having him meet the mane 6 this time around, but I think I needed to write this part first, rather than after. It works in the story because since she doesn't have any family, nopony will question why she's living out in the woods, and the orphanage probably wouldn't care that she left. She probably doesn't sleep there all that often, more like a bed and a meal for lost children, but only if they want it. Nothing like the government run ones here that require screening.
Since most ponies are good, and if someone says they've been adopted, there wouldn't be any need to judge their character. This chapter didn't have much action, and was more of an emotional thing, since I hadn't done very much of that yet. Really, Nightshade adopted her because he's just as lonely, and while he hates humans, other than a really annoying telepath, a nutcracking farmer, and some monsters, (which he can deal with easily enough), Equestria is a much better place than Earth. For the first time since he lost his family, he's living for someone other than himself, he has someone to care about. Leave any comments in the *sniff* comment section below.

Next chapter, we'll see how Dash deals with some jealousy issues, since her number one fan has found someone else to appreciate, and he's basically an unknown at this point, and the plotline in the spoiler from LAST chapter, (You know, with the very nasty visitor and the mane 6? That one.) I'm so terrible at these spoilers, Even if I tell you what's happening next, you don't know for sure because I might just turn around and add something completely different. Just keep reading. Also, I'm going to follow what I said last chapter, I'll write the next one today, but I'm gonna make you wait for it. Apparently my update rate is absolutely unheard of on here, with me cranking out chapters so fast I break the word-sound barrier, creating a sonic word-boom. Trollface.jpg.