• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 16,312 Views, 851 Comments

Monster - BlackWing



A human with a rather unique ability is hunted, till he find himself in a land different to his own.

  • ...
71
 851
 16,312

Flight of the Bumblebee

Flight of the Bubmlebee

Nightshade lived in the forest for another 6 months, learning all the ins and outs of his new home. He learned which plants were edible and which were not, by eating them and trying not to vomit. He also learned that when you kill a timber wolf, (he made up the name himself, as a kind of pun, having no idea that's what they were actually called), that if you leave all the pieces together in the same place, they will reform and the wolf will come back. He learned this the hard way when his makeshift tent, made from his now shredded backpack and help up by sticks, came to life along with his entire stock of firewood and tried to eat him. Now he didn't feel nearly so bad about beating them to death with gratuitous violence, because he knew that they would just reform in a couple of days. This also allowed him to train himself rather well, as he had an unlimited supply of enemies, and he favored using punches and kicks instead of his knives. He became strong rather quickly, seeing as how he didn't need to rest as much as other humans, so he could constantly improve.

Nightshade also became fast and agile, being able to climb even the tallest trees in a matter of seconds, and well as leaping through the tree branches, a skill which saved him when a strange mix of lion and scorpion attacked him. He didn't want to deal with it, remembering that his powers could only deal with the effects of poison, and not the poison itself. He was also unsure of the type of poison it had. If it was neurotoxin, then he would pass out from it and be unable to use his powers to heal himself. He didn't want to risk it, which resulted in him running like a madman, yelling random profanity as the powerful beast chased him. Having no other choice, he fled up a tree to give himself enough time to focus, and put the beast to sleep.

"You bastard, you almost had me." Nightshade whispered with malice in his voice. He had wanted to live without feeling anger and hatred, but this critter really ticked him off. He drew his knives, and slit the beast's throat while it slept. At least it's death wouldn't be painful. Remembering his survival training with the aboriginal tribes of his world, who had generously helped him when he became lost in the woods, he made sure to use every last bit of the animal, so that it's death would not be in vain.

The aboriginals, or Indians as they were most commonly called, were the one aspect of society that Nightshade DIDN'T hate. They lived humbly, with respect to the world around them. They helped others regardless of circumstance, and tried to share their way of life with any who would listen. He recalled how when settlers from Europe came, and winter arrived, they were starving. The natives also had a bad year for harvest, and were short on food themselves. Unable to ignore the plight of their white skinned neighbours, they shared all they had. If their new friends were going to suffer, then they would do so along with them.

To show gratitude to the ones who saved their lives, they celebrated thanksgiving, and then forced their saviours off their land and killed any who resisted. Yet another example of the assholeness of humanity. "Damnit, now I'm all pissed off again."


In Ponyville, Gilda had returned to cause trouble. She was going around picking on whoever caught her eye, until a rubber ball bounced into her face.

"Hey what's the big idea?" Gilda shouted. She saw a trio of fillies walk towards her. A white unicorn, an orange pegasus with purple mane, and a yellow earth pony with a red mane and bow in her hair.

"Oh sorry 'bout that. Can we have our ball back?" Asked Scootaloo.

"Sure, come and get it!" Gilda mocked, holding the ball up so the small pegasus couldn't reach.

"What's the matter dweeb? Can't fly?" She said as Scootaloo jumped for the ball.A frown came over the face of the Cutie Mark Crusader.

"No, I can't. I don't have parents so I had nopony to teach me. I've been trying to get Rainbow Dash to but she's always too busy." She just about had a tear in her eye, but was interrupted by the Griffon's laughter.

"You're such a loser, even a baby pegasus can fly!" She scoffed. "Here, I'll give you a crash course!" Gilda dropped the ball, and picked up the filly by her neck. She flew into the air, and aimed for the Everfree forest. She wound her arm back, and threw the screaming pony as hard as she could. They could tell that she had clearly landed somewhere inside the forest.

"Scootaloo!" The remaining two cried, as they ran off towards the forest. Applebloom wasn't afraid of the forest, as she had been to Zecora's plenty of times, but Sweetie Belle was. She was afraid, but she also wanted to help her friend. The two sped off towards the forest entrance.



Nightshade was walking back to his camp, after catching some fresh fish and gathering some of the more edible plants he could find. He had lost weight, which was concerning him. Yes, he could keep himself healthy using the life force of the plants around him, but his physical form needed to keep up as well, or he would have to constantly drain from everything just to stay alive. While he was a monster, he didn't want to be a vampire.

Unfortunately for Nightshade, manticore meat is just as toxic as the poison in it's tail, and proved inedible. He needed to find something more filling, like deer, when he herd a "THUMP" nearby. He checked around, and after some searching, found a chicken? No, this was too big, and orange. It looked more like a pony with wings, and had a purple mane. It had rammed headfirst into a tree, and was lying on the ground, unconscious. His stomach growled. What he was looking at here was a fine piece of meat. It was knocked out, and looked pretty tasty.

Just when he was thinking about how to prepare horse meat, he realized that he couldn't do it. First of all, by the looks of it, it was just a child. Secondly, horse meat is tough, and would probably make him sick. Lastly, and most important of all, he felt pity for the poor thing. Here was this adorable looking creature, obviously hurt, and he was going to kill it so he could have a meal that would probably make him ill. He felt ashamed of even thinking it. Some of his instincts from his old life kicked in, telling him that there was no way he could eat a horse, or pony, or whatever this thing was, and that he should care for it instead.

Nightshade had turned 21 not too long ago, so it's not like he had kids. Heck, he never even had a girlfriend, yet his parental instinct kicked in, and he brought the little filly towards his camp. She had a mild concussion, and would wake up soon enough on her own, but this forest was a dangerous place, and she would likely not survive the dangers that were within. His head hurt as he healed her wounds, bringing the concussion to himself. As he was larger and more resilient, it turned out to simply be a minor headache to him. When she started to wake up he realized that she would probably freak out, so he took her stamina to ensure she stayed asleep.


Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were freaking out. Along the way to the Everfree, they had run into Applejack, and explained the situation.

"Gilda did WHAT now?" The farm pony said with a southern accent.

"Threw Scootaloo into the Everfree forest!" The pair cried in unison.

"Aww hayseed, ah knew that girl was trouble from the moment ah laid eyes on her, but not THIS kinda trouble. I gotta go round up the gang, we're goin in after her." Said applejack with an angry face as she set off to collect Twilight and the rest.

"Ah sure hope she's okay, it'll be gettin dark soon."


Scootaloo woke up, and despite everything she knew about blunt cranial trauma from her extensive experience with it, she felt fine. She was sitting under a tree near a river, got up to look around, and found that she was lost. She had only been in the forest once or twice, so she had no idea about the lay of the land, and couldn't find her way out.

"Applebloom has been in this forest dozens of times, I wish she were here." said the sullen pegasus. She began wandering around, completely unaware that she was being watched by something high in the trees. After a time, she found herself even more hopelessly lost, and sat at the base of a tree to cry.

Seeing that this thing could in fact talk was the first thing to surprise Nightshade in a long time. He watched as she wandered around, and realized that she didn't know her way around the forest. She had wings, so why not just fly out? And didn't she hit her head because she crashed WHILE flying? Either way, she was crying now, and the parental instinct kicked in again.

"I just know I'm gonna regret this." He said to himself. Positioning himself in the tree she was sitting against, so that he could see her but she couldn't see him, he spoke to the first person..horse....thing other than himself in a long time.

"Hey kiddo, why ya crying?" He said, trying to sound cool. As soon as he said it he face-palmed. at how lame he sounded.

Still crying, the orange filly jumped at the voice and looked around, unable to find it's source. "Who are you?" The confused pony asked.

"Don't mind me, I'm just the local forest monster." Her eyes widened at the thought that a monster was this close, and she couldn't see it. At the same time, Nightshade felt like a complete imbecile. "Duh, just because I think like that doesn't mean the rest of the world does. Now she's probably afraid." He thought.

"If you're a monster, why haven't you eaten me yet? Or do you just like to torture ponies with your voice before you do?" For a lost and crying child, she was a bit of a smart mouth. At least she wasn't afraid.

"Nah, I don't eat...whatever you are." He said awkwardly. "What I do want to know is if you have wings, why don't you just fly home?"

"I'm a pegasus for your information, and the reason I don't just fly out of here is...." Her voice trailed off.

"Because I can't fly." She said with a tone of sadness.

"I live in an orphanage, so I never had any parents to teach me how, and the others are always too busy." She choked out, no longer looking for the voice, and just sitting under the tree.

"The whole reason I'm here is because that mean old Gilda threw me here after making fun of me for not being able to fly. She said it was a 'Crash Course'." Nightshade knew all too well the cruelty of others. He was often mocked because of his strange behavior, and because of that, he had no friends. Being an orphan had to be tough. This kid was broken and had no self confidence, so she let herself get stepped on by those bigger than her. He had to teach her a lesson, but at the same time, be gentle about it. Then he remembered a saying.

"Ah, don't feel too bad about it kid, bumblebees can't fly either." He said, in a soothing tone. Her ears perked up at this, and she got a puzzled look on her face.

"What are you talking about?" She said. " Of course bumblebees can fly."

"No they can't." Nightshade replied. "Their bodies are too big and too heavy, their wings are too small and their muscles aren't nearly strong enough. They're too heavy to fly, and they aren't aerodynamic in the slightest."

"But then how do they do it? I've SEEN them do it!" The orange pony asked.

"Simple, nobody told them they can't. They grow up believing they can, and they give it everything they have. Even though it should be impossible, they make it possible just by trying." Nightshade said in a fatherly tone. "You don't need someone to teach you, just keep trying at it until you figure out what works. Eventually you'll get it. In life, people will try to keep you down. They'll tell you things like 'it's impossible' and 'you can't'. You know what? It's all garbage. You can do whatever you want as long as you don't give up on it. Except magic." Nightshade gave a little chuckle.

She sat there stunned. Partially because this monster's words had meaning, and partially because she was confuse as to why he said 'people' and 'someone' instead of 'pony' and 'somepony'. The again, he didn't even know what she was, so it made sense that he would have a bit of a different way of speaking. The crack about not being capable of magic though, that needed to be handled.

"Hey, so what if I can't do magic, I'm a pegasus, not a unicorn. Only unicorns can do magic." The laughter suddenly stopped. Did she just say unicorns could do magic? That mean's there's unicorns and pegasi here? Nightshade had already spent 6 months in this world, and knew next to nothing about it. Half of him still believed he was insane, and the other half didn't care either way. A small part of him however, was completely vexed by this.

"So, you're telling me that there are pegasi, AND unicorns here, and that unicorns can do magic?" He said dumbfounded.

"Geez, have you been living under a rock? This is EQUESTRIA. There are pegasi, unicorns, and regular earth ponies. Then there are griffins like Gilda, and zebras like Zecora, and even dragons like Spike." Said the purple maned pony in a matter of fact tone.

"This really isn't my world." Nightshade muttered. "Well, it's been nice chatting with you, but you should probably go home. It's getting dark and this forest isn't safe at night."

"Umm, I'm still lost, remember?" Said the filly.

"Oh right, well if you head east..." He stopped. He noticed two sets of glowing eyes in a nearby bush, glowing eyes that he knew all too well. Nightshade dropped out of the tree, just as the timber wolves jumped from their hiding spot. Drawing his knives from their sheaths, (They had been in his boots he was wearing before, but they had been torn to shreds by use and attack, luckily he had packed spare footwear, so he used to leftover fabric to attach them to his legs) he spin kicked the pair of predators, before stabbing both of them in the head at the same time. His new friend was frozen in fear, and only managed to mutter one word.

"M m m monster!" She cried, looking at the black cloaked figure that had just killed two dangerous creatures.

"Yeah, I though we had established that when we met. Then we talked for about an hour or so. If I was gonna eat you, I would have done it already. Besides, I told you, I don't eat ponies." Nightshade said sarcastically while sliding his knives back in their sheaths for safety. "And now I'm going to get you home, umm...."

"Scootaloo." She introduced herself. Her fear gone as quick as it came.

"Right, and now I'm going to get you home Scootaloo. By the way, names Nightshade." He returned the introduction.

"Like the plant?" She asked.

"Yeah, don't ask, it was a bad experience."

"Scootaloo! Scoot scootaloooooo!" Came a familiar, mocking voice from beyond the trees.

"Well, looks like your friends have found you, you should probably go home." Nightshade advised. "Oh, and you probably shouldn't talk about me. Your friends might not be too happy that you spent the last hour or so with a monster." He laughed.

"Yeah, thanks for the advise, and for saving me." Scootaloo said, fluttering her wings.

With that, she ran through the bushes, into the waiting arms of her worried friends, who then took her home. Little did they know, something was watching them their whole way back, looking out for possible danger. When they left the forest Scootaloo swore she heard a voice say, "Fly, my little bumblebee."

Once they were gone, Nightshades stomach made it's disappointment at not having eaten the poor girl known, to which he replied. "Shut up, damn I'm hungry." as he proceeded to devour what was an entire week's worth of food he had rationed for himself.

D'awwwwwww that was cute. Scootaloo finally found a parental figure. Yeah, I went a little philisophical with the whole bumblebee motivation thing, but I think it fit pretty well. I had actually been planning this scene for a while, and I have to say it turned out as good as I hoped. It was a bit of a long chapter, and I wrote 3 of em today, so don't expect anymore for a little while. I'm a closet brony, (my parents wouldn't understand, and they already think I might be gay just because I don't go around sleeping with the first girl that comes my way. I respect the ladies, even if that lands me in the friend zone most of, scratch that, ALL the time) which means that not only do I have to plan, but I also have to find the time to write, and hopefully be able to do so uninterrupted. Most of the time chapters are going to come to you in clumps of 2 or 3 at a time, and then have about a week in between. I'm in a world of pegasi and magic! This is madness! Madness? This IS EQUESTRIA! I can't believe I almost had him eat poor Scoots! Naw, she was safe the whole time. But it does put you into his mindset pretty well don't ya think?