• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 16,298 Views, 851 Comments

Monster - BlackWing



A human with a rather unique ability is hunted, till he find himself in a land different to his own.

  • ...
71
 851
 16,298

Disastrous (26)

Disastrous (26)

After such a long break of having 'Slice of Life', I'm finally getting back to the plot. Yay!


After spending another two weeks in the woods with Spike, hiding from the royal sisters who were, unlike the Ponyville ponies, not afraid to go into the forest looking for them, it was now mid April. Spike had grown quite a bit, and now looked more like a teenager. (Like in Secret of my Excess, but not quite) It's amazing what one month living in the wilds did to the dragon. After returning to town, and receiving an apology from the princesses for their unbecoming behavior, they went into town. Twilight made a point of remarking how much Spike had grown, and Rarity made a point that Twilight should let Spike out of the library more often. Being stuck as her assistant was clearly stifling him, and being able to get out and live a little did him worlds of good.

"I'm just glad that's over with, at least till next year." Spike said, his voice a little deeper now. Nightshades eyes opened wide, dreading thinking about it.

"Well, at least I'll make a load of bits on syrup sales." He commented. Living in the forest, he was still able to collect the sap and return it to his house for processing. Pinkie ran it, after all she was the one who wanted it the most, so he figured he'd teach her how. She caught on quick, and had been making it ever since. After getting back she was a little sad that she didn't have to work the stand anymore, but more happy that she could stop syrup making, and start syrup eating.

As it turns out, the events of the past month were a direct result of the new type of sugar. Everypony had a sweet tooth anyway, and since there was a new type, they all wen mad and gorged themselves on it. More sugar means more energy, more energy means more drive for 'activities'. Once mating season was over however, any sweets eaten would result in the normal Pinkie Pie-esque hyperness, instead of what he had been running from.

Nightshade dropped Spike off at the library, and headed home. Fluttershy was standing there, and avoided eye contact.

"She probably thinks I'm mad at her." He thought, and went to talk to her.

"Hi Fluttershy." He said, She visibly winced at his voice.

"What's the matter?" He asked. She stayed silent.

"I can't help fix whats wrong if you don't tell me. And don't say nothing is wrong, I know you better than that." He had to put a little more pressure on her than usual.

"It's just, we all tried to take advantage of you, and you're not even mad. We were so forward, and you did the right thing, even though it must have been tempting." She said timidly.

"Well, nothing happened, so it turned out alright. And besides, you were able to control yourself. You are the only one who didn't force herself on me. I ran around Ponyville 200 times, at speeds faster than sound to escape from Rainbow, I had to knock Twilight out, I nearly choked Pinkie with a bottle of syrup, and I tricked Dash into pile driving Applejack, just to escape from them. If anything, you and Rarity are the only ones who DON'T need to apologize for anything." Nightshade tried comforting her, it was starting to work.

"We still didn't tell you about the season, and because of that you had to spend a month in the forest, and.... I didn't get to see you." She had obviously missed him the entire time he was gone. He reached down, and gave her a big hug.

"It's alright. Since it's spring. we can spend a lot more time together, taking care of the animals, going on nature walks, picnics, dates." He said the last word more slowly than the others.

"And if you're still upset about trying to take advantage of me, well, maybe we'll be even one day." He said with a wink. Fluttershy understood the meaning and turned bright red. "But only if and when we're ready, and we'll make the decision while we're both sane." He added, giving her a peck on the cheek. She was far less embarrassed about that, since she had kissed him on the lips before, and this was becoming more common, although it still made her light up.


Lyra finally started to put her plans in motion. Nightmare had taken up permanent residence in her head, but so far had not possessed her. It was simply whispering sweet nothings into her ear, making misguided suggestions, and ideas that were sure to fail. After all, it didn't actually want to help Lyra, it wanted to push her over the edge.

"Alright, so the come to life spell. I'll cast it on this cart, have it go 'out of control' in front of him, and he'll rescue me before I fall off the cliff to my doom. Oh, here he comes!" Lyra said to herself. She cast the spell, and went careening down the steep hill at the edge of Ponyville, leading to a cliff. The cart nearly ran over Snips and Snails, who were pushed out of the way by Nightshade himself, leaving nobody to stop the cart. It went over the cliff, and Lyra screamed as she fell, only to be caught by Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy was happy he was able to save the two, and gave him a hug for his kindness. He gave Rainbow a salute, which she returned, almost dropping Lyra in the process.

"Fooey."


Several expertly planned but poorly executed attempts later, Lyra was becoming increasingly frustrated.

"Well, it's not MY fault." Explained Nightmare. "Perhaps, you should let me help you a little more. On your next attempt, I'll make sure to steer things in the right direction."

"I think you're right." Lyra was letting it in a little more. Nightmare grinned wickedly.

Spring was over, the trees were out of sap, and all the remaining syrup had been bottled for the rest of the year. With all the bits from the sales, Nightshade had expanded his facilities, doubling the Shade and Shy Sugar Shack's ability to process sap into syrup. That way, next year, there wouldn't be nearly so much of a rush to do it, because they could do more at a time. Even after that, they still had 3000 bits left over. Finally closing up for the year, he looked over to Ponyville, and saw smoke.

"Oh no."


Lyra, having no new 'damsel in distress' ideas, decided to teach unicorns some basic magic at the school on Saturdays to help her take her mind off past failures, and earn some bits while she was at it. Rent didn't pay itself.

"Alright class, this spell is a standard magnification spell. By condensing the air, you make a lens. Then you bend the lens to change the focus. This can be used to see things that are far away, or small things that are really close. Now watch carefully." She formed the lens, and magnified some small writing on the blackboard. As the rest of the class tried to emulate her, Nightmare took control of the spell.

"What are you doing?" Lyra asked in her mind.

"Helping." Nightmare said plainly. The lens magnified 100 times, and caught the light of the sin coming through the window. It set the floor on fire.

"Okay class, calm down. I'll have this out in a second." Lyra was starting to panic. She couldn't access her magic. Something was wrong. The students began to back away from the growing flame.

"Nightmare, what are you doing!?" She screamed.

"Succeeding where you failed." It said. She tried to run, as the school had now become engulfed in flame, but she couldn't move. Nightmare was holding her there. The students had already left the burning school, the fire ponies arrived, and started pouring water on the flame. Nightmare used Lyra's magic to make the fire grow.

"Relax, so long as I'm here, no harm can come to you." It said.

"I wanted to put myself in danger to have him save me, not put others in danger!" She screamed, crying.

"It's the next step." It said, with the same calm, uncaring voice.


Nightshade arrived at the already burning school. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight were on the scene.

"Is anyone hurt? Did everyone get out alright?" He asked the frightened crowd. Silver Spoon walked up to him.

"Diamond Tiara and Miss Lyra are still inside! Please, you have to save them!" She was crying. Diamond was a bully, and Lyra was annoying, but they didn't deserve to die in a fire. Nightshade knew his powers wouldn't be much help inside. He needed to think.

"Rainbow, get me a cloud! Twilight, use a spell to clear out some of this smoke! Applejack, buck the door down! I'm going in and getting them out!" He barked orders, taking charge of the situation. They did as they were told.

"What do ya want the cloud for?" Dash asked.

"Drench me." He said.

"Shouldn't I put it on the fire?" She was confused.

"Listen, If you get me soaked before I go in, I won't catch fire. That way I can get them out without getting myself killed. Now hurry up and do it!" She complied. Applejack busted the door down, and Twilight cleared out the smoke. Nightshade dove inside to find a passed out Lyra, and a crying Diamond Tiara desperately trying to wake her up. She looked in horror at the white figure. She thought it was the angel of death.

"No! I'm too young and rich to die!" She cried.

"Come with me and you won't." He said rather calmly given the situation.

"But you're...." She started.

"Is that a no? Well to damn bad, I'm pulling you out of this fire whether you like it or not!" He grabber her and put her under his arm. Then he put Lyra over his shoulder, and covered her with his cloak. That's when the support beams fell, blocking the exit. The whole place was going to come down on their heads.

"Hey kiddo, do you know a force spell?" He asked. It was one of the simplest forms of magic, even easier than levitation. Just collect a mass of magic, and throw it at something.

"Yeah." She replied.

"Good, do you think you can break that window open?" As he said it, she had already shattered the window pane, blowing the wooden cross section out of it.

"I hope you can fly, because here goes!" He said, throwing Diamond Tiara through the fire, and out the window. She barely touched the flames, so she didn't get burnt.

"Now for you." He said to Lyra. He held her close to his body, and covered her in his cloak. If he had looked, he would have seen her wearing a wicked grin. Using two months of his life, he turned it into enough energy for a burst of unnatural strength. He charged straight at the support beams blocking the door, shattering them as they were already fragile from being burned, and was sent flying through the doorway. Those fallen support beams were also what were keeping the roof from collapsing, and so as soon as he was out, the whole thing came down.

Nightshade laid Lyra down on the grass. She wasn't burnt, but she wasn't breathing.

"Smoke inhalation." He said to himself. He was exhausted, and injured from mild burns but he would have to give her mouth to mouth. None of the other ponies knew how. Little did he know, Fluttershy was watching.

Steam flowing off of him, rising to the sky, he bent over, and blew air into her lungs. To everypony else, it looked like he was kissing her. She woke up and smiled, and Fluttershy turned, and ran away, crying. Nightshade looked up just in time to see the tears in the yellow pegasus' eyes. He went to run after her, but was mobbed by other ponies.

"You're a hero!"

"You're so brave!"

"You saved my daughter!" Said Filthy Rich.

After finally getting rid of the press, it was already getting close to 6 pm. He had been talking to the news ponies for four hours, and he refused to spend a moment more answering their endless questions. Nightshade headed to Fluttershy's cottage. He knocked on the door, but only heard soft crying. Opening the cottage, he was met with a barrage of carrots, thrown by a VERY angry Angel bunny.

"Fluttershy, we need to talk." He said.

"About what, how you don't like me anymore?" She said crying.

"What makes you say that?" He asked.

"I saw you kissing Lyra!" Fluttershy almost screamed.

"I wasn't kissing her, I was saving her life!" He yelled back. Then he realized what she must have thought, and as she buried her head in some blankets, he walked over to her, forcefully flipped her onto her back, and looked her straight into the eyes.

"What I did with Lyra is called mouth to mouth resuscitation. I blew air into her lungs to get rid of the smoke that was in there. It's what humans have learned works best to help those who have stopped breathing." He took a deep breath, put his lips to Fluttershy's mouth, and blew air into her lungs. Her chest rose, and then lowered.

"It's not a kiss. This is a kiss." He said, taking her head in his hand, looking lovingly into her eyes, and kissed her.

"Do you see the difference?" He asked.

"I, I'm not sure." Fluttershy said weakly. "Maybe you could show me again?" She said, tears still just barely formed in her eyes, but now smiling.

"Oh you silly pony." Nightshade said, causing Fluttershy to look down, ashamed.

"I LIKE silly ponies." He said, giving her another kiss, which she was apt to return. Angel looked on in disgust, made a gagging motion with his paw, went into his rabbit house, and put his pillow over his ears.

Lyra was spying on the two through Fluttershy's window, seeing them so happy together just made her angry. It was supposed to further HER relationship with him, not Fluttershy's. Heading back to Ponyville she yelled, "DAMNIT ALL TO HELL!" Prompting strange looks from other ponies who were shocked at her vulgarity.

After making sure she was going to live, Nightshade actually had the nerve to tell HER that she needed to go see a doctor. Not for smoke inhalation, not for possible burns, but for a psychological exam. He told her he noticed she was getting into a lot of accidents lately, and wanted her to see a shrink to find out what was wrong. He thought she was INSANE! This just pissed her off all the more.

"So close! We almost had it." Nightmare proclaimed.

"Yeah, but no matter what happens, he's just not going to change the way he feels about me."

"So what then, do you give up?" It asked.

"No, I step up my game. If I can't have him, NOPONY can."

Sorry about the short chapter folks,but I did what I wanted to do with this one, at it reached my self imposed 2000 word minimum. I actually wrote about another 2000 words of 4th wall breaking blog, but the instant I decided to save and upload, FimFiction decided to go down for maintenance for 5 minutes, and it's all gone. So now I guess none of you will ever know the craziness that went on in my head.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Actually, I'll tell you right here, short version.

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's advertising business is off the a great start, they got a contract with Filthy Rich.

Sweetie Bell got picked up by a talent agent and went on tour, and so Rarity is making loads of money because of all the free publicity.

Fluttershy became the *Squee* world champ because she was happy Nightshade kissed her.

Since the school burnt down, they're going to take the 5k bits they have saved, along with some donations from Rarity, and a concert with Sweetie Belle as a dedicated fundraiser, in order to build a bigger, better school house.

Applebloom got signed on with a construction company and is designing the new school.

Twilight is letting Cherilee teach in the library, as it's a good place to do it.

Rarity thinks Spike is becoming a hunk.

Granny Smith's hip is fixed.

Everyone thinks something is wrong with Lyra.

Lyra was there the whole time and got mad that they were talking behind her back, right in front of her. (Nobody noticed she was there)

While I was away from the blog for 5 hours.

Discord came back and somehow became by blog's unofficial co host, without my knowledge and against my will.

Applebloom gave it a new paint job.

Celestia and Luna brought in some sculptures to make it feel more at home.

Pinkie Pie painted the whole thing in maple syrup, which she stole from Nightshade. (She found the secret storage room behind a book case that was actually a fake wall.)

BlackWing (Me) Kicked everybody out except Discord, (cuz he's the co host now, don't ask me how) Nightshade (because he's an extension of myself) and Fluttershy (because she's my favorite)

I told them I was going insane for having a conversation with figments of my imagination, based off a cartoon for little girls, on a fanfic site populated mostly by guys, for all the world to see.

Fluttershy gave me a hug to make me feel better.

I realized that you people are actually going to read this and start to seriously worry about my mental health, so I ended it. Tomorrow, (actually, now it's considered later today) I'll be writing the next chapter of 'The Mad Gentleman' before the next chapter of 'Monster'.

Also, Nightshade found out that Discord gave him a crappy life on Earth (OMG SPOILER) and gutted him, which Fluttershy said wasn't very nice. And I said that he's going to get a lot meaner in the next couple chapters. (OMG ANOTHER SPOILER)

And that's the SHORT version. At least it explains what they've all been up to. Seriously, I could have made an update chapter containing all this. It was as big as a regular chapter. But fimfiction decided to crap out just as I was saving it. I still love the site though. It just made me a little frustrated.