• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 16,312 Views, 851 Comments

Monster - BlackWing



A human with a rather unique ability is hunted, till he find himself in a land different to his own.

  • ...
71
 851
 16,312

New Year's Nonsense (24)

New Year's Nonsense

After the events of Hearth's Warming, things went pretty slowly around Ponyville, and in Canterlot as well. Many a day were spent idly, as if waiting for something to happen, many an evening were spent at Fluttershy's drinking tea, and many a night were spent curled up by a warm fire. Hearts and Hooves day, or Valentine's day on Earth, both Nightshade and Fluttershy decided to ask each other to be their special somepony. Upon agreeing, they prepared to kiss, but one of Rainbow Dash's tricks went haywire, causing her to crash headlong into the timid pegasus from above, lips puckered.

"Bleaaach." Said Dash. "Oh, sorry Fluttershy, thanks for catching me though." Her apologies were unheeded, she was too stunned from the shock of being landed on, and the embarrassment of having just kissed her best friend. She didn't pass out, she just didn't move for about 10 minutes. Arriving back at home, they settled for snuggling next to the fire, trying to warm Fluttershy up after she had fallen in the snow due to Dash's antics.

"You are beautiful." He told her.

"You like when I'm cold and shivering and soaked?" She asked, not understanding.

"You are beautiful on the inside. You are always kind and gentle, always caring, and you put others before yourself. You strive to make others happy, even if it costs your own happiness. No matter what you look like, to me, you will always be beautiful." He told her, and hugged her tightly. They fell asleep like that, and were woken when Scootaloo came home, who tried, and failed miserably, not to wake them.

Winter wrap up came and went, and with Nightshade's ability to provide energy to the animals, half of them woke up all on their own. As soon as that was done, he bought a mallet, and as many buckets and spigots that he could. Having already marked off sap producing trees, he simply tapped them, not too high that it would hinder sap flow, but not too low that animals could get into it, and hung the buckets. Having such a large number of trees in the area, all healthy and strong, he gathered enough sap, that once it had been turned into syrup, he had already filled the very large storage tank within two weeks.

Walking over to Fluttershy's cottage, covered in the syrup, she couldn't help herself but to lick it off his cheek, which of course, made them both blush. After a nice bath to get clean,(in the tub, not by Fluttershy's tongue you pervs) he bottled up the syrup, and the next morning, had breakfast. Pancakes with maple syrup were an instant hit with Fluttershy and Scootaloo, and Angel's opinion about his owners newest friend became greatly improved after having a maple glazed carrot.

"Well, time to head into town and sell it, I just hope everyone gets some before Pinkie Pie finds out. And when she does I hope she doesn't see fit to stick her head in the tank." Nightshade said, prompting giggles from the other two. Fluttershy went with, and borrowing a stove, they set up a pancake stand, where they would sell pancakes with syrup on it, as well as a separate stand selling just the bottled syrup. Unfortunately, nopony was interested in the newest product. They didn't even want to try. It's not because of the creature selling it, as Ponyville had become accustomed to seeing Nightshade hanging out with Fluttershy and the crusaders, it was because most of them had just eaten breakfast.

Scootaloo came flew down from above town, and landed in front of the stall he had set up.

"How's it going pops? She asked.

"Not good Scoots, nobody even wants to try some. I'm starting to think they don't even know I'm selling something." He said sadly. Suddenly, she flew up above the main square and yelled.

"Get the sweet new sensation that's sweeping the nation! Shade and Shy's sugar shack is open for business! Put in on your pancakes! Put it on your doughnuts! Bake it in your cookies then glaze it on top! Come and get your maple syrup here!"

So sooner did she yell did Pinkie Pie zoom out of Sugarcube Corner.

"What!? A new sugary sweet? Can I try some? Huh huh can I?" She asked in her usual hyper tone.

"Sure Pinkie, I don't have any other customers, so this one's on the house." He said, motioning to Fluttershy to bring out a stack of pancakes.

"Silly, it's not on the house, if it were how could we eat it? And I don't see a house around here." She said.

"I mean that the first one is free." Nightshade responded plainly.

"Ooh gimme!" She said, not even waiting for the pancakes to be done, she grabbed a bottle of syrup, opened it, and downed it.

"Ooh! It's good!" Said the now maple coated pony.

"Try it on some pancakes." He said, passing her a plate with a stack of three, covered in syrup and a bit of butter on the top. She devoured it in one bite. He wasn't even sure if she had tasted it.

"And here's some taffy, you pour syrup on some ice and it get's all chewy, so make sure you actually chew it." He said, a little put off at the rate at which she was eating. Once her mouth was empty, her eyes lit up.

"How much for all of it?" She asked.

"All of what?" He asked in turn, not sure what she meant.

"All the syrup, all the taffy, all the glaze, and all the cookies." She said, motioning to all the various maple products he had prepared beforehand.

"Umm." He had to calculate. "Well, that, plus those, and all this, is 300 bits, but since you're buying in bulk, and you're our only customer, how about I drop it to 200?" She didn't say anything. She somehow managed to gather all of it in her arms, while at the same time dropping a bag containing exactly 200 bits on the stall counter, before she ran off the Sugarcube Corner to experiment baking with her newest favorite substance. Fluttershy commented that she was happier than when it rained chocolate milk.

Closing up the stall, and returning the portable stove, they headed home with enough bits to rent a small store for two months, so they could sell their product indoors. They were not expecting to sell everything, and certainly not to a single pony, but it was Pinkie Pie they were talking about, and for her no expense was too great when it came to sweets.

Arriving back home, Nightshade found Pinkie Pie trying to get the lid off the tank holding the syrup.

"PINKIE PIE!" He yelled, causing her to fall and land on her head. She was fine, apparently her poofy mane cushioned the fall. What was scary was how she looked at him. She looked like a drug addict who needed to get her fix.

"Okay, yes Pinkie it is good, but don't you think you're going a little overboard? I mean, this is just the first day, there will be plenty more syrup for the rest of spring, and I need to save some for selling throughout the rest of the year." He explained. Pinkie lost the look of madness in her eyes, and her mane deflated, just a little though.

"It will be okay, spring literally started only two weeks ago, and I already have this much syrup. Tell you what. I'd like to set up a deal with you and the Cakes, let's head over there shall we?" He told the pink pony, bringing an extra batch of maple cookies, maple glazed doughnuts, taffy, and some regular syrup. On arriving, he let the cakes sample the products, and they had a similar reaction as Pinkie, although far less extreme.

They came to an agreement that they would buy the plain maple syrup at in bulk at half price, but 30% of the profit from anything made with it would go to the Sugar Shack. All parties involved thought that was fair, and the deal was made. Now he didn't need to have his own store, he could just have them sell it. After all, ponies knew about Sugarcube Corner, and were more likely to buy a new product from there instead of someone they hardly knew, from a dinky little stand in the middle of town. Now it was time to work on Scootaloo.


"How did you know that would work?" Nightshade asked her.

"I dunno, I guess I just know how to convince ponies of things." She said, flying through a cloud. As she flew through it, she left a cloud trail.

"Hey Scoots, do you think you could do that again, except make letters this time?" He asked.

"Sure thing dad." She acknowledged. She flew up and spelled her own name in cloud trail.

"That was amazing, now could you do my name?" He asked. She did, followed by Fluttershy's name.

That's great, I think i have a job for you tomorrow. Hauling a large keg of syrup to the Cake's, and recieving payment for it, the trio headed home.

The Next Day

"Remember that job I told you about yesterday? Do you think you could write, 'New product at Sugarcube Corner!'?" He liked where this was going.

"Umm, okay." She said. She put it in full view of the entire town.

"Perfect, now let's get Rainbow Dash." Nightshade said with a wicked grin. They found her only ten minutes later.

"You want me to what now?" Asked the cocky cyan pony.

"I want you to fly up as high as you can, and pull off a sonic rainboom. Then pull out of it before hitting cloud level. and THEN fly around a specific cloud formation so your rainbow trail circles it." He told her.

"Why the hay would I want to do that?" She asked.

"Because I have fifty bits that says you can't." He said with a hint of spite.

"You're on!" She accepted the bet without hesitation. "Which cloud formation is it?"

"Scootloo, you know the one I'm talking about, can you fly up and show her?" He asked.

"Sure thing dad." With that, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash flew up into the sky.

"What do we no now?" Asked Fluttershy.

"We sit back, and watch the magic happen."


Sitting, enjoying a glass of tea in town square with Fluttershy, Nightshade looked up and saw Dash waving at him, signalling she was ready and for him to watch. He waved back, and the pegasus started her run.

"You may want to plug your ears Fluttershy, this will be a little loud." He warned.

"As if I'm going to miss this." She said with a sultry smirk.

Noticing that Fluttershy was acting a little odd, he was about to question her on it, when the show started. Rainbow Dash picked up speed, went into a nose dive, and executed the sonic rainboom perfectly. The entire town was startled, except for Nightshade and Fluttershy who knew what was about to happen, and everyone looked up to see the rainbow shock wave. Then, true to her word, Dash flew around the cloud writing without ruining it, circling it in the sky. The entire crowd looked up to see the message, "New Product at Sugarcube Corner!" Framed in the sky by a vibrant rainbow. Immediately, a large number of ponies headed straight for the sweets shop.

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo landed by Nightshade, Scoots beaming and Rainbow with her usual cocky attitude.

"You see that! I pulled it off, now where's my 50 bits?" She demanded, with her hoof out, ready to accept payment.

"Ah, yes, here's you payment, and here's 50 for you too Scoots, for a job well done." he said, handing out the clinking coins.

"Wait a minute, payment? JOB? This was a bet, one that you lost." Said the confused rainbow mare.

"I may have lost the bet, but I won something far more important. Look up." He said plainly. The pair of pegasi looked up to see the still circled message in the sky.

"AWESOME!" Shouted Scootaloo.

"New product at Sugarcube Corner? That's what you had me fly around? You tricked me into advertising?" Dash said.

"Yes, I did. If you thought of it as a job, you probably would have slacked off, but since it was a bet, I knew you'd do everything to prove me wrong, and you did marvelously. I had Scootaloo write that earlier, but I needed you to bring everyone's attention to it, the boom got them to look up, and the rainbow trail told them what to look at." He explained with a wicked grin.

"You know, you really are a monster, but you're a bucking good one. Getting paid to fly fast? So awesome." Dash said, making her 'awesome face'.

"You think that's monstrous, just wait till you see what I did to Pinkie and the Cakes."



The four walked down the street, and saw a massive crowd in front of the store. Looking inside, the Cakes and Pinkie were frantically trying to keep up with orders. Practically the entire town was there, trying to get some of the 'new product'.
Pinkie worked her way through the crowd, and looked at Nightshade with begging eyes.

"They're buying all my syrupy snacks!" She said, nearly in tears.

"Yes, but you're making a huge profit. And the more you make, the more syrup you can buy. And you know, you CAN just buy some of them yourself......" He said to the pink pony, laying on the ground in front of him. Suddenly, Pinkie Pie pulled a baker's hat out of nowhere, put a spatula in her mouth, let out a battle cry, and charged back into the overrun store, only to call out moments later.

"WE'RE OUT OF SYRUP!"

"Uh oh, um, HOLD ON PINKIE, I'LL GET MORE AND BRING IT 'ROUND BACK!"

The four of them went running off, back to the Sugar Shack, when they encountered Applejack on her way into town.

"What the hay is all the commotion, what were ya thinkin pullin that off above town Rainbow?" She almost looked mad.

"No time to explain AJ, go get Big Mac, Applebloom, and two carts, and meet me at my place, around the back. HURRY!" He told the orange mare, almost yelling. Soon enough, she returned with the carts and her family.

"Okay, I got what'cha asked for, mind tellin me what this is all about?" She asked, a little annoyed.

"Heres the deal, Sugarcube Corner is overrun, we need to help em out." Nightshade said.

"What is is, parasprites again?" She asked skeptically.

"No! Sugar crazed ponies! I need you to help me haul all this here sugar down to Sugarcube Corner, so the Cakes and Pinkie can make treats out of it. I gotta stay here and refill the kegs!" He exclaimed.

"Listen sugarcube, I don't know what you and Pinkie have gotten yourselves into, but we're too busy gettin the farm ready for growin season, we just don't have time to..." She was interrupted.

"I'll pay you 20 bits a keg, that's 4 kegs per cart, that's 80 bits per cart load, it's not that far so it won't take that long, I gotta stay here and keep fillin them up, I got about 40 kegs worth here, and I'm sending it ALL over." Nightshade was getting worried.

"Holy canoly, that's 800 bits! With that much cash we could fix Granny Smith's hip! Lets go Big Mac!" Now Applejack was excited.

"Yeeeeap" said the big red stallion as they hitched up the carts.

"Applebloom, Scootaloo, I need you to help with unloading at the Cake's, Rainbow Dash, I need you to clear the way for the carts, I don't want ANYTHING delaying them, Fluttershy, you're with me, filling the kegs. Ya each get 10 bits per cartload."

"Got it!" They all said in unison, and each headed out on their specific tasks. Fluttershy flicked her tail in the air, and swished her mane over her eye.

"You know, I love a guy who knows how to take charge." She said in a sultry tone, the same one from earlier that day.

"Fluttershy, I've been meaning to ask you, are you feeling okay?" He asked, genuinely worried about his very close friend.

"Never better." She said. "Now, could you, if you don't mind that is, lend me some sugar?"

"Wha..?" He said, turning towards her, to find that she had pressed her lips against his. For a moment, he thought about fighting it, but then he just closed his eyes and let her kiss him.

"Alright, now let's get back to work." Fluttershy said. Nightshade was still a little surprised at how much she had opened up, and was still wondering if something might actually be wrong with her, or if it was their relationship just developing. He WAS her special somepony after all. He raised his eyebrow to her, she just giggled, and then they continued their work.


After the ruckus was over, it was night time, and Nightshade, the mane 6, the crusaders, Big Mac, and the Cakes were all sitting around a table in the wreck that had once been Sugarcube Corner.

"Geez, it looks like a tornado went through here. I wanted to bring in customers, but I didn't think you'd get this many." Nightshade said, still in amazement at just how popular the maple products had been. While he sent all 40 kegs of syrup, meaning he was now all out, and the Cakes only used 10, they bought the rest anyway, partly because they knew they would be using it the next couple days, and partly because Pinkie begged them to.

"Yeah, we had ponies coming in all the way from Canterlot!" Pinkie said with glee.

"Word sure travels fast." Nightshade said in disbelief.

"Well, when you hear a massive boom, and look in the sky to see an advertisement, it's hard to ignore." Said Princess Celestia, with a stern face.

"Princess? When did you get here?" Asked Dash.

"I was flying over Ponyville for over an hour trying to find a spot to land, the crowd finally cleared out 10 minutes ago, I decided to give you that much time to make your abode, at least somewhat presentable." She said, and everyone looked around at the mess on the floor.

"Don't worry about it, I understand you've all been very busy." Celestia said, raising an eyebrow.

"Heh, yeah." Nightshade said weakly.

"Do you have any idea how much of a ruckus you've caused?" She said, glaring at him. He gulped.

"It was brilliant!" Celestia laughed. "I haven't had that much fun since the Grand Galloping Gala a few years back. You all remember it don't you?" She looked around at Twilight and her friends. They let out a weak laugh. She was obviously trolling, and they all fell right into it.

"Oh, I just remembered, I believe I have to pay you for all the syrup." Mr. Cake broke the awkwardness. "Let's see, we made..... 8000?" He began foaming at the mouth from the shock, and fell off his chair, onto the floor. Mrs. Cake picked up where he left off.

"Okay, so 30% is 2400, plus another 2000 for all the syrup we bought for this week at half price, which will no doubt come in handy, so that's 4400 bit's for you and Miss Fluttershy, leaving us with 3600 from the day." Mrs Cake now fainted in turn. Making 3600 bits in a single day was unprecedented, not even Pinkie Pie had spent that much at their shop when she first came to town.

"Okay, so that's 1000 bits to Big mac and Applejack, I know we agreed on 800, but I think y'all deserve a bonus. And 100 to Rainbow, Scootaloo, and Applebloom for their work. Again, we agreed on 10 per load, so 40 each, but I think given the situation, this is more than fair. That's 4400- 1300, leaving me and Fluttershy with 3100 bits." Nightshade continued dividing the profit's as the Cake's were now incapacitated. Big Mac's eyes went wide, and Applejack looked weak in the knees, even though she was sitting. Pinkie Pie was freaking out, more because she had all that syrup than the bits, Twilight and Rarity were speechless, how this human who had been revealed to Equestria barely 5 months ago could have set all this up. Celestia looked amused, while eating a maple cookie.

"Besides that, I think We've found what you're good at Scootaloo." Nightshade said.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Well, you're good with cloud writing, VERY good. You could go around, making cloud advertisements for various businesses. You and Rainbow could do it together, You'd make the writing..." He was interrupted.

"And I'd provide the bang!" Said Rainbow.

"You'd get to do something fun that you're good at, and you'd be flying with Dash all day long." He continued. Scootaloo was jumping up and down with excitement.

"So, what do ya say kid? Wanna fly with me?" Said Rainbow in her usual cool manner. At that moment, a picture of a pencil drawing clouds appeared on Scootaloo's flank.

"I'll take that as a yes." The crusaders were ecstatic that their final member now had her cutie mark, and Scootaloo was psyched about being able to spend all day with her idol, having fun flying. Everyone was talking about what they would do next, when they were interrupted by Nightshade asking a question.

"While I know that it's good, I wonder why all the ponies went that crazy for it. I mean, yeah it's new, but there's no way it should have brought about a reaction like that." He asked. Celestia looked like she knew something, but didn't say a thing. Big Mac began to whistle. Pinkie Pie broke the awkwardness.

"Oh, it's nothing. Everypony just goes a little crazy come spring time, and part of the craziness is getting a really big sweet tooth, they're gonna go really bonkers next week, and stay like that for two weeks before going back to normal again." The pink pony explained. Well, it made sense. Pinkie looked like an addict with the syrup, Fluttershy was becoming more and more assertive. Maybe this happened every year. Nightshade still thought that they were hiding something from him, especially since they all started trying not to make eye contact, but they were his friends, whatever it was, he could trust them with it.

"I just hope I don't run out of syrup."

Celestia took a taffy, and Pinkie tried to grab it and eat it, only to be held back by her magic. Still flailing wildly trying to get the sugary sweet, she hung upside down, as the rest of the ponies just laughed.

Well well well Fluttershy, not so shy anymore are we? What is this 'thing' that's going to happen next week, and stay for two? Why does it have everypony going crazy, especially for sugar?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fluttershy: *Squee* I kissed him, on the LIPS! And he wasn't mad at all. I guess he really does like me! Oh, I hope I didn't do that just because I'm starting to go crazy for next week.

Rainbow Dash: You're not that great a kisser, Fluttershy. I mean, I pegged ya at close to super sonic speeds, and left you speechless, while I didn't feel a thing!

Fluttershy: *Embarrassed*

Twilight: I hope he won't be too mad that we didn't tell him.

Applejack: I just hope he comes out of that craziness unscathed. You sure this was a good idea Big Mac?

Big Mac:Yeeeeeeaaaaaap

BlackWing: Seriously, Macintosh is in here now too? I'm gonna be seriously pissed of if anyone else shows up. Especially Lyra. I don't think I can take having any more of you in my blogosphere.

Celestia and Luna: We have arrived! Let the festivities begin!

BlackWing: Ah what the hell. Fine, everyone else is here anyway.

Discord: So nice of you to arrive ladies! Miss me? Oh how I love a good prank. These ponies have thought up an especially good one for poor Nightshade, and I think it's going to be hilarious!

Celly and Luny: *Gives Discord nasty look*

Discord: *Kisses Celly*

Celly: *Vomits*

BlackWing: Discord, stop giving away the plot and stop making the royalty puke, or I'm gonna make you eat your own ears. Who am I kidding, you'd probably think they taste good. Anyway, Happy Valentines Day people and ponies alike. I know I went a little deeper in the shipping, but I swear, that's as far as I'm gonna go. As for tomorrow's chapter of 'Monster' I guess you'll all just have to wait and find out! It's gonna be a laugh riot!