• Published 16th Sep 2011
  • 14,579 Views, 1,179 Comments

Under The Northern Lights - CoastalSarv



Luna and Twilight travel to the northern land of the reindeer on a diplomatic mission

  • ...
11
 1,179
 14,579

Fortythree

They had gathered, a council of war, in a remote loghouse. It was not within the walls of Castle Muorra, but on the outskirts of Sarvvik. It was shadowed by spruce, pine, and other gloomy evergreens, not that shadow was needed. The sun-poor Tarandrian winter was here, and it constantly snowed from the perpetually overcast skies.

There was a huge fire in the fireplace, but it didn't heat the rest of the room very well. Spike longed to go and sit down in it. It was strange, the older he got, the more he craved fire just like he craved gems and noble metals. He didn't budge from his place between Celestia and Twilight, however. He stayed not just to be polite, but also because he genuinely didn't want to miss the meeting. Although he suspected he wouldn't get to say anything...

At one side of the massive round pine table sat six warriors, heroic (allegedly) barbarians of the old sort, although a bit more rheumatic and phlegmatic these days. They had been sellspears and adventurers in the old days, before Ukko got this strange idea of challenging the chosen heir of the old king and become king himself. Ruling a realm had turned out to be hard, much harder than slaying dragons and trolls and evil sorceresses, and they were all on the edge of their seats, itching for something they knew how to do.

There also happened to be a dragon, a troll, and an evil (allegedly) sorceress at the table. Spike wasn't terribly worried over the Companion's reputation as monster-slayers, but it was clear Kvalhissir didn't like to be here. They didn't share a language, but Vigg had told him that Kvalhissir's mother used to scare the moose with Ukko and his exploits. "Eat your sedge or the Mooseslayer will make you into a hat!" and so on. Being at the same table as a boogeymane must be disconcerting, but Kvalhissir was doing it anyway, at the request of Luna.

As for Twilight, the token evil sorceress, she didn't look like one anymore, having discarded any pretenses to being the Skinfaxi’s Shadow along with Luna's cast-off clothes. Not that it helped. Spike could see the Companions’ eyes staring with even less trust now that she looked normal. Spike also saw that Twilight was oblivious to this. She was as happy as the old heroes with the talk of quests and artifacts. She had gathered a thick wad of research notes she was smilingly re-sorting.

Opposite the six heroes sat two divine (allegedly) princesses, one dark, one light. The dark one was nervous and her brow furrowed faintly. The light one was calm, and her mouth smiled faintly. From below, Spike saw her left wing moving slightly, touching her sister’s, to offer inconspicious support. They had each brought an entourage of sorts, sitting to either side. Celestia had Spike, Twilight, Vigg and his mother. Ljufa had placed herself between Vigg and the nefarious mare. She kept fidgeting nervously, as if Twilight’s tail posed some threat just by touching her. Vigg seemed unhappy, yet quiet and solemn, and kept looking at the ceiling.

On Luna’s side were some unicorn guy Spike didn’t recognise, Kvalhissir, Eira and then Saga right next to the Princess. Spike had trouble seeing the fawn. However, she was just as unadorned as when she visited the hospital some days ago. It gave him an eerie feeling to see her like that. When he leaned out and tried to wave at her or at least see better, he saw Luna moving one of her great wings, caressing the fawn’s back reassuringly. Saga smiled nervously.

Well, ain’t this a daisy, as Applejack would say, Spike thought. The big questers on this here quest looks really pepped and positive and other things beginning with ‘P’.

Next to Vigg, outside the three slices of influence, sat Jarl Vidar, Vigg’s uncle. He kept studying the faces around him, neither chomping at the bit, nor nervous and apprehensive.

He - he’s found the quickest escape route, Spike thought, but he doesn’t think he’ll have to use it. It’s just in case.

Ukko stomped his hoof to the table.

“Let get this started,” he said, thankfully in Equestrian, though with a thick, gravelly Tarandrian accent. “The war is here and we can’t avoid it. But the temple of Hrimfaxi, they say they have a prophetic. They say my daughter’s son can find the Sampo, and can use the Sampo to win war against Winter.”

He paused, allowing a concerned glance to move first at Vigg, then onward to end at Saga and Eira.

“The gods of Night and Day say it a good prophetic. I say so too. I calls everydeer here to hear plans, to prepare for journey to gather the Sampo,” he continued.

His companions nodded and the huge fat one laughed as he said something in Poatsi.

“Questions later, Heikko! And talk Equestrian,” said Ukko and looked first at him, then at the gathered foreigners. “They don’t all speak Reindeer.”

“No questions,” said Heikko. “Was just to say, fawn is better than you think. Good you trust him finally.” He grinned towards Vigg, who perked up visibly.

Ukko scowled.

“Comments later as well,” he barked. “I must speak as prepared!”

“Okay, okay,” said the rotund reindeer said as he shrugged.

“We will send a party, with help from Equestria, to travel to Joukulvakt where Sampo is been buried,” he continued.

If he prepared it, he didn’t mean write it down, Spike thought. Twilight and that unicorn guy are the only ones acting like in an Equestrian meeting...

“The young seer of Hrim... of Princess Luna know way to the corpse of Wiglek the Wicked, who must have fallen next to Sampo, who last had the Sampo,” he continued. “So we can find the Sampo. If her spell wavers, Princess Celestia’s apprentice has spell in reserve. Using antler relique. We find the Sampo!”

At this Ukko actually smiled and stamped his hoof. His companions cheered in their own ways. Mustikka smirked slightly, while Heikko and Skiold whooped loudly and slapped each others’ backs.

“When at Joukulvakt, in right place, Lady Sparkle -” he indicated Twilight “- has enhorning magic to witch-lift away ice and snow. If not enough... “ He pointed to Kvalhissir. “Princess Luna’s troll servant has troll magic for move great mass of things. We dig up the Sampo!”

There was more cheering, this time followed by general goodwill around the table. Vigg and Saga both just smiled nervously and avoided each others gaze. Eira whispered in Kvalhissir’s big ear, probably translating for him. The moose shrugged.

“Now, journey is dangerous!” Ukko continued, after silencing his more rowdy companions with another scowl. “There is killing cold and blizzards who... how do you say, drowns?”

“Suffocates, father?” said Princess Ljufa and mouthed the word in Poatsi.

“Yes... suffocates and... covers?” Ukko said, scowling again, seemingly at himself.

“Buries,” Mustikka suggested.

“Yes, the blizzards which will suffocate you, bury you,” he said, and his visage turned sad as he glanced at Vigg. “Like so many reindeer...” Vigg turned his gaze away and clenched his teeth.

“There are also monsters of the ice... and bad spirits!” he continued, waving his front hooves for emphasis. “Skoll packs, hovering hrasvaelgs, tursakalfar... I don’t know all name in Equestrian...”

Twilight cleared her throat.

“Maybe I can help you translate, Your Majesty. Skolls are called ice-wargs in Equestrian,” she said. “They are a canine people related to the diamond dogs, but adapted to arctic climes. They can burrow through snow and ice and eat flames and light. It’s said their greatest goal is to one day eat the sun.”

She looked a bit nervously at Princess Celestia.

“It’s a good thing I’m not coming then, I think,” said the Sun Princess gently. “Carry on, Twilight.”

“Skoll our oldest enemy,” Ukko interrupted. “Not just dumb beast, but thinking talking people. Every year, they fight to make sun go away, for spring and summer disappear forever.”

Twilight had stopped her explanation, but Ukko waved to her to carry on.

“Hraesvalgs are nature spirits... beings of the wind,” Twilight explained. “They are almost like large birds of prey, crossed with huge maggots. They mostly strike at other spirits, but they like to eat... corpses. They try to disorient people, so they will fall down crevices, or be caught in avalanches... so they get something to eat, burrowing into it. And if somepony disturbs them while they are pecking inside it, they can make the corpse stand up and walk...”

The unicorn guy and Princess Ljufa looked disgusted, and Spike share their experience.

How does a cross between a maggot and an eagle look? Spike thought. Who comes up with this stuff?

The companions chuckled among themselves, as if considering a good memory, except Galderhorn, who looked morose. Kol patted him and said something soothing in Poatsi.

“And tursakalfar... we would call them ice elementals,” Twilight continued. “Mindless like all elementals, but fairly destructive. They’re like when an iceberg has a large mass of ice fall off, about as big as a house... except the ice-mass just rumbles away off by itself, dragging up mud and gravel and so on until it breaks up and melts.”

There was another pause while the gathering pondered this.

“Whatabout nidhoggs?” said Spike, but he had some trouble speaking clearly.

“What?” said Ukko brusquely. “Speak up!”

“S-sorry, Your Majesty,” said Spike. “What about nidhoggs?”

“Ah!” said Ukko and grinned. “That won’t be a problem! See, there are bad news, but right now them good news! See, there are no nidhogg left by Joukulvakt. They have all reached tree-line, and now is eating the forests... Tarandroland’s life-wood... That is the bad news, very bad. But, you who will travel will bypass forest and go directly past the tree-line, so there will be no nidhoggs!”

“Bypass how, Your Majesty?” said Twilight.

King Ukko grinned wider. Spike noticed for the first time he was missing several teeth.

He doesn’t smile that often... he thought.

“I think Princess Celestia better tell that!” he said and nodded gracefully.

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” said Celestia. “We have the good fortune to have the assistance of an Equestrian captain of industry, a certain Mr Wingwright. He manufactures sky chariots, and has a testing facility here in Tarandroland.”

“Why, Your Highness?” said Jarl Vidar, given voice to the unspoken question from others at the table.

“Because the untamed weather of Tarandroland is excellent for ensuring they can make sky chariots that can stand the milder weather in the Duchy of Vanhoover,” Celestia said. “Safety is paramount in Equestrian manufacturing, as I’m sure you know. Hence, he has a small group of pegasi trained to fly in this weather, and enough chariots to carry the expedition over the forests from the facility north of Sarvvik. They have been encouraged by their employer to enlist in the Winter War anyway, and just like Mr Wingwright, will be happy to help.”

The gathering nodded to each other and mumbled.

“Oh, sorry,” said Celestia and frowned, “a small mistake: that should be Sir Wingwright. Seems the gentlecolt recently received a knighthood.” Her frown turned into a grin as she looked at Luna, who shrugged.

“We thought they could need some new knights in Vanhoover,” Luna said.

“Wait,” said Spike, “if we have a way of flying the whole... gang there, why don’t we fly all the way to Everfrost Glacier?”

“Because with this weather, flying becomes more dangerous than going by hoof or ski, young Spike” said Luna. “Not even these pegasi are trained for this weather, but the reindeer who will go on the journey are trained to travel in it. They’ve done it all their lives. This is just to shorten the trip and avoid the nidhogg threat. They are the most numerous monsters, after all.”

“As for who goes on this journey...” Ukko said. “First, my grandson must go, if the prophetic is true and he is to save Tarandroland. Jarl Vidar, his uncle, brother to my sad missed son-in-law, will follow with a dozen of best of herd, to guide and protects him. Then, the fawn prophet, who tell what to do. Then, to get the Sampo, Lady Sparkle and Princess Luna’s troll servant.”

His name is Kvalhissir! Spike thought but didn’t say anything.

“His name is Kvalhissir,” said Vigg suddenly.

Ukko shot him an angry glance.

“What?!” he almost snarled. Everyone flinched a bit, and Spike saw that Ljufa did so the most.

Poor doe, he thought.

“His name, grandfather, is Kvalhissir,” Vigg said. He hadn’t flinched. His hithereto downcast eyes were glowing with anger. “He’s helping us save your kingdom. You can try to learn his name.”

Ukko looked at him. His nostrils widened. He breathed heavily.

“And Princess Luna’s troll servant, Kvalhissir,” he said. “Have I missed any others?” He glared at Vigg.

“Well, grandfather, I guess that Lady Sparkle will bring Spike the Dragon,” Vigg said. “Seeing as he is not just her familiar, but her foster-son, assistant and link to the goddesses.”

“The fylgia - yes, that is so,” Ukko mumbled, looking at Spike again.

“Or...” Vigg dared to look at Twilight. “Is Spike sitting this one out, Lady Sparkle?”

“I couldn’t do something like that without him,” Twilight said and smiled at Spike. “Isn’t that true, Spike.”

“Yes,” said Spike. “Yes! Of course!”

Skiold said something in Poatsi. He sounded disappointed.

“Talk Equestrian!” Ukko said, scowling. “And why?”

“I said I don’t like it,” said Skiold. “And I don’t like it, because it is wrong done!” He still sounded disappointed.”

He turned to the others with furrowed brow.

“What hero goes on a quest with a herd of warriors?” he said. “A hero goes alone… or with…” He made a sweeping gesture around him, mumbling, looking for a word.

“His boon companions!” said Kol solemnly. “I agree, Your Majesty. You don’t send somedeer on a quest with that many helpers. It’s simply not done.”

Ukko looked at his companions with disbelief, and most other people around the table had gaping mouths.

“Says who?!” snapped Mustikka, standing up and leaning towards Kol.

“It is not what is done in the sagas!” said Kol. “You never hear the skalds sing about the brave hero and his hundred bodyguards who went in search of the holy chalice or the mystic spear.”

“It’s not what I meant,” said Skiold who had I’m not with this guy you have to understand that painted on his face all of a sudden. “I meant that not what we did! We did great deeds, with no army!”

“This isn’t one of your sagas!” said Mustikka and slammed a hoof down into the table. “We have to think practically!”

“Pragmatically?” Twilight suggested but no one seemed to hear.

“Do you think I would faced dangers, risked my life with only you, if I had had army?” barked Ukko to Skiold.

“It’s not just sagas,” Kol protested. “It’s the Hero’s Journey! It’s the same in – in novels, in moving pictures…”

“So, we’re not good enough?” barked Skiold to Ukko.

“This is not a saga, not a book, not movie, not television… not song or newspaper article or… cartoon!” Mustikka shouted at Kol. “This is reality! We have to succeed! Don’t matter if… stylish!”

Ukko shouted something back to Skiold in Poatsi.

“You the one said talk Equestrian!” said Skiold and pouted.

“I said: I… we risked all when alone,” Ukko said. “We’re not alone now. Not yet anyway…”

The old stag looked sadly at Skiold.

“I couldn’t have army, but my grandson can have an army,” he said. “He must have an army…”

“It’s not like my people are a whole army, anyway,” said Jarl Vidar, trying to smile soothingly. “We’re talking two dozen deer, maybe three.”

Skiold looked between him and Ukko.

“Unfortunately, they great warriors,” said Ukko caustically. “If that bother you?”

“I can send only clumsy cowards, if that makes Skiold happy,” said Vidar and smiled.

“No,” said Skiold quietly. “That won’t be necessary.”

“Sir Kol,” said Celestia smoothly, “I think you will find it easier to swallow if you consider this a war epic, not a heroic journey.”

“What?” said Kol and Mustikka, who were glaring at each other.

“You’re trying to view this undertaking through the lens of a certain kind of fiction,” Celestia said. “I’m not going to argue with you about this… world-view, but I suggest you have chosen the wrong genre. This is like a war epic, where a king trots to victory or defeat with his army, not like a heroic quest, where the hero gathers a small number of companions looking for a heavily symbolic goal. I understand if it looks like one, but you’ll see it doesn’t fit, if viewed closely.”

“Well… when Your Highness phrases it like that…” said Kol, musing.

Mustikka just stared at him.

“Am wrong,” he said, shaking his head. “Is cartoon. This is crazy!”

“Are we done discussed this?” said Ukko. “Everydeer knows who will go, and where, and how, and why?”

Slowly, everyone around the table nodded. Including Kvalhissir.

How much did he understand, really? Spike wondered.

“Good. We try to leave in three days,” Ukko said. “Now, there are questions about details. Know there will be.”

He looked around the table.

Twilight Sparkle cleared her throat and raised a hoof.

“Yes, Lady Sparkle?” Ukko said.

Twilight looked at Luna, then Celestia, then Luna again. They looked back.

“We haven’t talked about one possible danger yet,” she said. “We’re going to search for the Sampo using the lead Saga has on Wiglek the Wicked’s corpse. Except… apparently Wiglek isn’t really dead.”

A this, there was murmur around the table. Eira and Ukko nodded knowingly, the Companions gasped audibly. Saga fidgeted in her seat. The unicorn guy Spike didn’t recognize looked incredulous. Vigg looked at Celestia. Jarl Vidar raised an eyebrow.

Luna cleared her throat.

“What do you want to know, Lady… Twilight?”

“Why isn’t he dead but… undead?” she said quietly. “Why hasn’t he done anything, if he is still around? And who is he, really?”

“I can answer that,” said Luna. Celestia looked at her encouragingly. “I should have done that long ago. Back when… when I was a… a very bad pony, an evil pony, he was one of my servants. Back when I was becoming Nightmare Moon.”

Twilight didn’t look surprised, but nodded sadly. Spike didn’t feel that surprised either, although he felt maybe he should have.

“Working for an omnicidal maniac didn’t have much ‘job security’ as they call it nowadays, and I ended up… I ended up doing something horrible to Wiglek ,” Luna said. “I will show you. I will show you what I did.”

Her mane moved, spread over the table, seeped out and formed a pool of starry sky in the center of it. The pool shimmered and, bending forward to it, they could see a reflection….

A blasted heath, frost-seared by nidhogg breath.In the center, ritual objects were scattered: strange dusts burned from deerskull bowls, dried batwings fluttered from the antlers of long-gone witches, and black candles sputtered in the wind, stuck on mummified hoofs of glory. Around it, skinny sarvs and vajas danced, their coats smeared with blood and ashes, chanting as they struck clattering bones and dried rune-sticks together. A lone, hunched figure, a sarv still a fawn, was keeping the beat on a witch-drum as he chanted an invocation.

“Queen of the Night! Princess of Air and Darkness! Ruler of the Night Court! Keeper of bats, grower of nightshade! Beyond good and evil, the volva of night! The sickle and disc and veil! Ever beautiful! Ever vengeful! Ever victorious! She who Is! Mare in the Moon, Hrimfaxi, Daggmule, Selene, LUNA! I SUMMON THEE!”

At his last words, shrieked to the night sky, he spat or vomited out a strange tangle of luminous threads into one of the skull bowls, where it made the dust explode and go out with a disappointingly small ‘pop’.

“By the strands of kinship I summon thee!” he continued hoarsely. “By the threads of fate I bind thee! By the hair of thy back I summon thee!”

He stopped and panted wordlessly, keeping the beat on the drum as he anxiously watched the skies. This seemed to keep up for ever as despair crossed his face. Then…

Black clouds formed above, started to swirl. Thunder roared right overhead and lightning struck the ground around the dancing chanting cultists, who screamed in horror and fell to the ground rolling and praying for mercy.

Down from the skies descended Princess Luna, surrounded by swarm of bats and a cloud of moon-moths. It was a younger, fiercer Luna, but more importantly she was wearing light, decorative barding she would never have worn today.

“Nightmare Moon!” Twilight whispered.

“Not yet,” came Luna’s voice, tinged with sorrow and shame. “No, this was just in the beginning… back when that was just a harsh compliment…”

Luna landed in the middle of the congregation and trotted to Wiglek, who fell to his knees and bowed his head, peering at the alicorn

“Dream-harvester, Wolf-herder, Nightmare Moon…” he babbled.

“Shut up, pathetic fool!” she shouted. “How dare you summon Us, cervine child carved from dry pine? A stupid savage like you, not even a pony?! Give Us a reason not to rend your soul and flesh right now!” .She stamped one of her delicate yet oh-so-strong hooves down on his head, shattering both his rune-painted skull helmet and the wards laid upon it, smashing his face down in the muck.

He tried to speak but could only whimper into the earth.

“Speak up!” she shouted. “We cannot hear you, you pathetic worm!”

He fought, terrified, to raise his head just a bit, to spit out the dust and grit. Blood trickled from his mouth.

“I want to make a pact, oh your majesty of night!” he shrieked. “A pact by the old laws, the laws of old!”


“Pact?” said Twilight. “But that’s… primitive mages just thought they could do that with… with demons, like… “

“The laws of old actually works on many kinds of beings, Twilight Sparkle,” said Celestia. “Both me and Luna have done so in times past. We will explain later. Just listen to Luna’s story for now.”


“Oh?” Luna still snarled, though her hoof was lifted from Wiglek’s head so he could raise it a bit. ”And pray what do you think a pathetic little witch-doctor like you can offer Us, the diarch of the world’s greatest realm, the ruler of the night skies, the creator of the world’s greatest people? We should strike you all down now!”

She glared at the summoner.

“No! Please! Have mercy!” he babbled, and Luna’s lips turned into a cruel smile when she saw his fear, like a cat playing with a mouse. “Listen! My – my brother is the king! He listens to me! I can make it so that all of Poatsula worships you like a goddess, your highness!”

“Worship Us…?” Luna said. She looked thoughtful, her stance relaxing.

“Like they worship your sister!” Wiglek babbled. “Temples and altars, prayers and priesthood…”

A grin for a second flickered across Luna’s face, a genuinely happy grin, like a foal who discovered a longed-for toy in a package on Hearth’s Warming Eve. Just for a second. Then it disappeared, just as if said foal just remembered it was angry with its parents and refused to show happiness until that was sorted out.

“And what do you want from Us for this service, little savage?” she said.

”Make me immortal!” he shouted, half standing up. “I want to live forever!”

For a moment it looked like Luna would snarl again, and she raised her hoof, but then she seemed to suddenly realize something and smiled instead.

“Oh, if your promise Us Our… cult, then We will make it so that you never die!” she said.

“Really?” said Wiglek, looking up at her, and now the watchers realised he must have been very young, Saga’s age or less.

“Oh yes, cervine child carved from dry pine, your soul will never pass into the Summer Lands,” she said and smiled mischievously at him.

“Then – then – “ he swallowed, “then let’s make the pact, damsel of darkness!”

And hoof touched hoof and blood flowed and very old words were spoken.

“To show my good faith” said Luna, “I’ll grant you your wish at once!”

He nodded feverishly and babbled thanks, but she shushed him.

“This takes some concentration!” she said and shut her eyes. She breathed in, and breathed out, and suddenly a flame hovered at her lips, black where a real flame is red, purple where a real flame is yellow, ice cold were a real flame is hot. She pushed Wiglek over on his back and leaned down. He whimpered. She put her muzzle over his chest and blew the dark flame into his heart.

He screamed.

He rolled around on the ground and screamed. They all shuddered, because not only could they hear his voice, somehow they could feel the pain in their bones, especially the sensitive reindeer.

His followers, who had covered on the ground around him, had eased up a bit when not directly threatened by smiting, but now they pressed themselves into the ground again, as if they could burrow into it. Luna stood above him, smiling benevolently, her eyes shining with excitement.

“It works!” she murmured. “It works as I expected!”

As he finally calmed down, he lay panting on the ground. He looked up at Princess Luna, and then he stood up just to prostrate himself properly.

“Is this… this how immortality feels, oh mare in the moon?” he asked.

“For some of us, it does,” she said honestly.”Now, let’s talk about Our worship. We never considered reindeer essential… but maybe We can use you…”

The aetherical image faded away. The congregation was silent.

“That was not my proudest moment,” Luna sighed. “So when you wanted to know more about Wiglek the Wicked, Twilight, I couldn’t bring myself to talk about it. I dearly hoped that it wouldn’t be necessarily – and as I did tell you youngsters, there are several problems with using the Sampo for anything. But it has come to this, and my sister has convinced me that it is important you know some things about him. I don’t know if I can ever earn some kind of forgiveness, but that’s not important right now.”

The congregation rustled a bit. One of Celestia’s wings gently touched Luna’s wing for support.

“Do you have any questions about what Luna just told you?” said Celestia.

“I’m not a mage,” said Mustikka. “What did that… thing do to him? What is he? What can he do?”

“That thing was part of the Nightmare,” said Luna. “The Nightmare is an essence... or perhaps more correctly a principle, which I used to make myself... stronger. Fiercer. More... certain. You can compare it both to the drugs sold by alchemists to boost an athlete’s strength, a stiff drink to calm your fears by dampening your judgement, and a lie you tell yourself to be able to act. I... can’t put it much better than that.”

“What I did to Wiglek I had never done before, and never really got around to do again, but I had done similar things both before and after,” Luna continued. “That spark of Nightmare should bind his soul to his mortal flesh. It can never leave it. He can never truly die, his corpse animated and intelligent for all forseeable future. Further, the power will try to restore his flesh if it is rent, though maybe somewhat... clumsily.”

“How fast?” said Mustikka. “After all, my flesh restored if rent.”

“Very fast, and even the greatest injury can be healed eventually,” Luna said. “The only way to truly incapacitate him should be to crush him to dust, burn him to ashes, or grind him to paste, and his soul would still not be free. But despite this... he should miss many features of true life... body functions like breathing and eating, sensations like warmth and cold... “

“He didn’t notice this when you did it to him, Your Highness?” said the unicorn fellow, visibly shaken. Spike thought he had seen him before...

“The... greatest effects should not have taken effect until he actually... died,” said Luna. “That was a feature of the spell, so to speak.”

“But you not certain of all,” said Skiold. “After all, he only...” He waved his healthy hoof.

“Lich,” said Twilight Sparkle, somewhat weakly. “The correct necrological term for this kind of undead is lich.”

Skiold and Luna both looked at her. She looked back, the longest at Luna.

“Only lich there is,” Skiold said.

“What the Princess said fits with what has been postulated by ancient unicorn wizards, based on what is known about the ‘Nightmare’,” Twilight explained. “Most of what known is found in old grimoires like The Book of Horrors, which catalogues, uhm, various horrors. It fits with what the Nightmare could do to the living as well as to normal corpses. For instance, it could animate the... fresh corpse of a pony to something actually called a ‘nightmare’...”

“Right, a ‘helhest’ we call it,” said Mustikka. “So, he immortal draugr?”

“Lich,” said Twilight, but Spike didn’t think anyone but him heard her.

“Ha!” said Skiold. “Remember, we have fighted draugr. You cut them up, they cannot hurt you, even if no dead!”

“What he do more?” Mustikka said. “He was wizard, yes?”

“I... do not know much about Wiglek’s actual skills,” said Luna. “He wasn’t that kind of servant. What little other contact I had with him after our first meeting, I simply gave him and his cult orders, and they followed them using their own initiative. I think he did not know much actual magic himself, but relied upon his wits and pact magic like the one I described.”

“I can confirm the pact magic,” said Celestia. “I had more contact with Tarandroland some years later and heard some things about his powers, and in addition he summoned me once as well, offering an enormous piece of amber in return for some magics.”

“Yes, I remember you told me,” said Luna. She smiled sadly a little and looked at her sister. “Even evil sorcerers preferred your company to mine!”

“If it will make you feel better,” said Celestia, “after our recent discussions I have reached the conclusions that he did so to summon you.”

“Why?” said Spike. “Did he need permission? An address?”

“No, but you’re close, Spike,” said Celestia. “You need some sort of connection to the target when using summoning magic. The closer the connection the easier the summoning and summoning somepony like me or Luna isn’t easy. Wiglek asked for pact magic in a very classical way from me. Very minor powers, but since I and Luna are siblings he could use that to make contact with Luna.”

“What did he ask for?” asked Twilight. “And pact magic... how does it work?”

“He wanted a lock of my mane,” said Celestia.

Everybody stared at her. Luna actually smirked a bit.

“Not as a lover’s token,” she said sternly. “It was an easy way to transfer the magic he wanted, to spread light and warmth. I’m sure you all realise that such a power is useful in a cold land like this. He must have kept some of it for the ritual. And how it works...”

“They call it a sacred pact, but you really just trade with each other,” Luna said. “Knowledge, wealth, a service like I and Wiglek offered each other... or power. I’m sure Master Galderhorn, as a spirit worker, recognize the principles.”

“Yes,” said Galderhorn with his soft voice, “I do. But few spirits can give power you speak of without hurting self.”

“Please specify ‘power’, Princess Luna,” said Twilight, looking both confused and a bit unhappy.

“I could teach a spell as my part of a pact,” said Luna. “However, what is often done instead is to transfer a very small part of your magic energy to the one you’re making a deal with. To make a ridiculous example, I could take a small part of my ability to raise the moon and give it to you. That would let you raise the moon, maybe once, or whatever we agreed on. If you want it to fit better with current magical theories, think of it as giving someone a half-cast spell. This takes very little time, the target doesn’t need to have any talent or training or even the horn necessary for most spell magic, and the one who gives the power knows it is limited. That gives a feeling of control, and the pact-maker might come back for more, if you wish. People like Wiglek can accumulate a lot of magic like that if they’re lucky.”

“Lucky and polite,” said Celestia. “No one likes to be summoned. If done correctly, you cannot help but answer, but you don’t have to agree to anything. If an entity comes physically, like Luna did, the summoner must hope her wards hold, or she might be hurt or even killed by an angry spirit or demon or whatever it is she has tried to strike a pact with.”

“That’s not counting the price that must be paid when you make a pact,” said Luna. “Many beings that can be summoned, like our aunts and uncles, are so different from mortal ungulates that it is very hard to come up with something they want. The best bet, unfortunately, is the prisoners of Tartarus.”

“The old monsters and beasts, Your Highness?” said the unicorn fellow. “Why? Aren’t they all horrible demons?”

“That’s where the idea of deals with demons come from, yes,” said Celestia. “There’s really no punishment in Tartarus besides being unable to leave and the company of those who deserve to be in Tartarus. That is enough for most of the prisoners, though, and they are desperate for any release. Many of them can send some small part of themselves out via astral projection if summoned. Any little whiff of magical energy is welcome, so they can either work on getting free or change the environment of Tartarus to suit them better. Pact mages is basically the only way to get that.”

“That’s why we outlawed such things long ago, except under very special circumstances,” said Luna, “and most nations do the same. Even the goat tribes, who have a deep love for pact magic, stay well away from Tartarus.”

“This didn’t stop some sorcerers from trying, of course,” said Celestia. “They used to have a widespread subculture in Equestria. There are even established pacts you could use, knowing that Krastos would give you power over living bone if he had a sacrifice with a healthy skeleton, for instance.”

“There are still a few grimoires left with lists of the rules to use and the possible invocations, as they called them... ‘Angry Crimson Cloud of Destruction’, ‘Tirek’s Black Rainbow’...” Luna said.

“...’The Ever-Nimble Five-Clawed Paws of Hubbodamaster’,” said Celestia. “I’m fairly certain Wiglek had access to such teachings, from the rumors I heard, though I don’t know how much magic he had left when he died... remember, this is nothing that you can easily use repeatedly!”

“So,” said Mustikka, “Wiglek the Wicked is a invulnerable living corpse, who can call all powers of Niffehel. He has reasons to hate most important ally, and if legends true, wants to rule Poatsula. Are there good news?”

“Well, I don’t think you have to meet him,” said Luna.”All our gathered lore says he is still buried in Joukulvakt. I can’t imagine him not taking action for a thousand years otherwise. This... knowledge is just in case you accidentally free him while digging the Sampo out. I hope we can avoid that.”

“How would we know him from any other frozen.. corpse?” said Spike. His neck-spikes was standing on end.

I don’t want to run into any undead reindeer warlocks. This is scary enough as it is.

“The influence of such magics as move him should be visible to the Sight,” said Eira, “once you get close enough. As should an artefact as ancient as the Sampo.”

“Yes,” said Twilight, worrying. “I think it’s more a question of being careful when digging, if they lay close, and they should... But Prin... Luna, why can’t we use the Elements of Harmony? If Wiglek gets out, I mean? Shouldn’t they purify him of the Nightmare and break the spell that animates him?”

“There is no way I’m letting the world’s greatest magic massive destruction into my country under your control!” said Ukko.

“Grandpa!” said Vigg and stood up with his forehooves on the table.

“They - they aren’t a magic of destruction, Your Highness!” said Twilight and imitated Vigg. “They’re a magic of - of friendship and harmony!”

“So, so, calm down, Twilight Sparkle!” said Celestia. “You as well, young prince. It might be better this way. First, I don’t want to send all of our element bearers to the arctic unless necessary. Second, just like I or Luna would take a great risk if we helped Twilight dig or travel, using such a powerful artefact that close to Auntie would be a bad idea.”

Yeah, if Grumpygramp here already had Wiglek on the loose, I’m sure he wouldn’t say no to the Elements! Spike thought.

“So if you do raise him accidentally, try to hinder him and then - run!” said Luna. “Bury him in the snows again, lure him down a crevice, pull off one of his limbs and throw it as far you can... and if you have no clear shot, just grab the Sampo and run. Get it and Prince Vigg to safety.”

“I - not that I complain, Your Highness, but why me in the first place?” said Vigg. “Is it because I’m the Prince, or...”

“Because young Saga’s prophetic say that you will use it, Viggo” said Ukko. “We have no use of, except you.”

“The Sampo is dangerous,” said Luna. Celestia nodded. “It was cursed by our great uncle Discord, the cruel trickster. It’s even dangerous to use for the immortals, and when mortals use it, well...” She shrugged and shook her head.

“When mortals use it, you must provide the curse with a cruel laugh, or it will just respond with its own cruelty,” said Celestia. “Unless you are very careful, the Sampo will twist every wish you make.”

“How can I do that, then, if nodeer else can?” said Vigg. “What...”

He turned to Saga but didn’t really meet her eyes.

“What did you see?” he said. “Miss Saga,” he added when she hesitated.

“I - I saw that you would be the one to save Poatsula with the Sampo... Your Highness,” she said. She fidgeted.

“How?” he asked. “How!”

“It’s... it’s hard to describe a vision to somedeer else, they’re not just logical or in sequence...” she said. “I tried to make some verses before but they only became... sentences... And prophecies should be in verse...”

“Anything!” said Vigg. “Please,” he added.

“Try, dear,” said Eira.

“Alright,” sighed Saga.

She leaned backwards, breathed deeply and suddenly rolled her eyes back so that only the white showed. “The White Prince will save the country, for he shares the enemy’s colour. The White Prince must make two wishes, not three, no more. The White Prince will... the White Prince will doom the country and be free, but it will be a lesser doom and the freedom will... be bitter.”

“That was... not very helpful!” said Vigg.

Saga looked hurt and mumbled something.

“I think it can be very helpful,” said Ljufa suddenly. “Prophecies must be pondered, dear.”

I wanna know what the colour of his coat has to do with anything, Spike thought. It’s not as if Twilight is the element of magic because she’s purple!

“I agree,” said Kol. “In additions, such things become apparent when you face them in reality.”

“Fine,” Vigg sighed. “I’ll do my best.” He squirmed when his mother tried to give him a reassuring hug.

“I think we talked all things we musted,” said Ukko. “There is many minor practical things, but better talk with those responsible. Like prophetic, please talk with Kol and Galderhorn,”

He pointed to his companions and smiled, actually quite gently, towards Saga.

Kol said something in Poatsi.

“Fine, fine, but that is what you talk in little group, later before travel!” Ukko said irritatedly. “Is there any other questions before meeting ends, and we drink and eat?”

Twilight cleared her throat.

“I have one, Your Majesty... I mean, it’s for Princess Luna,” she said.

The reindeer king nodded.

Luna turned towards Twilight again. Her voice cracked a little.

“Yes, L... Twilight?” she said.

“Why did you do it?” Twilight said. “Why did you... curse him?”

“I... as I said, I was an evil pony back then,” Luna said.

“That’s no explanation,” Twilight almost chided. “Evil ponies have reasons for what they do. They may be bad reasons, but they have them.”

“It is hard to explain... but I’ll try,” Luna sighed. “Just as you promise to take it as an explanation and not an excuse. I don’t like other ponies making up excuses for my actions.”

“As you say, Princess,” said Twilight and nodded.

“First - when you’re an immortal, being summoned is not only an irritating inconvenience of the highest order, it’s deeply shameful,” Luna said. “Even if I had been my even older, milder and kinder self I’d been very angry if summoned.”

“I know I was,” said Celestia. “It’s true.”

“And as I said this isn’t an excuse, but because of that, and because this wasn’t my even older kinder milder me, I was prepared to strike him and his followers down,” Luna said. “I suppose you would have understood that even if you didn’t condone it, Lady Sparkle?”

“Oh yes,” said Twilight. “I... I just need to take my own... aggressions and increase them, I think.”

“Well, when you are invited to a pact, not only are you full of murderous anger, but both custom and instinct tells you that your duty is to either refuse it, or to twist it all into your favour,” Luna continued. “So I let him tell me what he had to offer...” she draw deep breath.

“And he offered me what I wanted most: respect and attention,” she said. “Nevermind that I was never what mortals consider a goddess: worship, even if not from ponies, would have given me all that I longed for... or so I thought.”

She looked at her worshippers on her left side. They could do nothing but nod,

“I was so jealous because of the non-ponies that followed my dear sister,” she said and looked at Celestia. “It was first in modern times I learned - “ she looked sadly at her sister’s followers “- that she didn’t want them at all, and that they made her afraid of failure and embarrassed by their attention.”

Celestia met her gaze and nodded.

“I... waxed wroth, as we used to say,” Luna continued. “How dared he sincerely offer me my dearest wish when I was angry with him and hated his ilk and wanted him to suffer my righteous wrath? If I agreed to his deal I couldn’t have the pleasant feeling of revenge, the sweet closure of vengeance. If I struck him down, I would lose my chance to be treated like I felt I deserved. I was pulled between vanity and anger.”

She sighed deeply and then chuckled.

“So he made his ridiculous wish for immortality... “ Luna shook her head. “With my neighcromantic research into the effects of the Nightmare fresh in mind... It was too tempting a target. It satisfied my vanity and my anger, and it made myself feel clever and powerful. I did something nopony ever had done, remember that!”

“Had he offered anything else or asked for anything else, I might have struck him down,” Luna continued. “Had I not been jealous and hungered for power, I might have been less offended by his summons, and might have struck a different deal - most probably, I would have offered him the same deal, but told him what it meant. He might even have taken it. He was not a pleasant or sane deer.”

“So there you have it, Twilight Sparkle: I was both offended at his suggestion and tempted by it, and the only way to reconcile the feelings was to play that cruel trick on him,” Luna said. “Does that answer your question?”

“Yes, it does,” said Twilight, and Spike realised she had been taking notes from Luna’s confession. “Thank you very much for answering, Princess, even if it was difficult. I... hope you and the one you wronged can be reconciled one day.”

Luna smiled wanly. “I highly doubt it, but thanks.”

“Can we then break up?” said king Ukko.

“I have more questions...” Twilight began... She was met by a weak groan from some of those present. “...but I can ask them later. As we make ready for dinner, I’d really like to speak to His Highness Prince Vigg and Miss Saga... in privacy, please.”

The two fawns’ ears shot up and they looked at Twilight. Then they trotted over as everyone started to rise from their seats.

“I think we can step outside for a while,” Twilight said gently.

What’s with the formality? Spike thought.

“I would have similar words with you, Your Highness,” Ukko said to Luna in old-fashioned Poatsi as he trotted up to her. “Please, grace me with your presence. Let’s go outside, through the kitchen door. Then we avoid the fawns.”

Luna nodded.

“As you wish, Your Majesty,” she said as they both walked towards the small kitchen.

Meanwhile, Twilight, Spike and the fawns stepped out in the snow. Spike immediately regretted that.

“W-we should have put on coats and caps...” he said and hugged himself. The snow almost reached his chest, which didn’t help.

“This will hopefully be quick”, said Twilight and smiled as she turned to the fawns, who stood face to face beside her but did avoid each others’ gazes.

“Now,” Twilight said, “first, I haven’t met you in a while, Prince Vigg, so I wanted to greet you and say that I’m glad to see you well.”

“Not because of him!” Saga mumbled.

“I.. I want to apologize,” Vigg said, with a low, mechanical voice. “I am sorry for... for making a mess of things.”

“Well, I’ll accept the apology,” said Twilight. “If for nothing else, because I had some part in the mess. I should either have kept everything secret from you, so as not to arouse your suspicions, or told you the whole truth.”

“Please... Lady Sparkle... the mistake was all mine,” he said. Saga snorted and he looked at her.

“The important thing is you don’t do it again,” Twilight said.

“No, I won’t, I promise!” he said. And then: “Do what?”

“Run off by yourself without telling anypony exactly what you are about to do,” Twilight said. “Especially in any situation which normally is dangerous even to an adult. We’ll embark on something very dangerous in a few day, Vigg.”

“Yes,” he said and looked down. “Yes, I understand.”

“Good,” Twilight said. “Now, I think you have to apologize to somedeer else as well.”

She didn’t need to look at Saga.

“I...” Vigg began. He swallowed. “I...”

“He already did,” said Saga and looked at him.

“Oh!” said Twilight. “All is well then. I thought I saw you being wary of each other, but I’m sometimes bad with ponies - people - and of course an apology doesn’t magically make things go away...”

It was Saga’s turn to swallow. “No,” she said quietly. “That’s why I didn’t... accept the apology.”

Twilight stopped.

“What?” she said.

“I didn’t accept his apology,” Saga said, and suddenly there was anger in her voice. “I haven’t forgiven him, so I won’t lie and say I have.”

Vigg gritted his teeth.

“But Saga...” Twilight began. “Didn’t... your prophecy say...?”

Spike jumped up and down.

“If the prophecy is true, and not just wishful thinking because I was actually in love with Prince Charming here, it has nothing to do with him being a... an irresponsible brat!” Saga said fiercely. “There are lots of heroes in mythology who were flankholes!”

Vigg said nothing.

“But Saga...” said Twilight.

Spike slapped himself and blew fire into his claws.

“If she doesn’t mean it, it won’t mean anything to me either,” said Vigg. “I’d rather not have other fawns lie to me as well. Grownups do that enough!”

Twilight flinched a little.

“Besides,” said Vigg, his voice breaking a little, “I don’t know whether I deserve to be forgiven either.”

“Maybe someday I can forgive him but not right now, okay?” said Saga.

Twilight looked at Saga. Saga looked away. Twilight looked at Vigg. Vigg looked up.

“BUT FOR PITY’S SAKE!” Spike shouted, making everyone jump.

“I’m freezing to death here despite having a fire in my belly!” he said. “Let’s clear this up so we can go inside!”

He turned to the little priestess and stuck a paw in her face.

“You: forgive him!” he said. “For now. It is just a provisory forgiveness, OK? It doesn’t technically apply until you really forgive him, see? But you act nice to him and do whatever you two are supposed to do with those verses or whatever?”

Saga stared at him.

“Now, so we can go inside,” he said.

“I.. I forgive you, Your Highness” she said to Vigg, looking him in his eyes. “For now. Provisionally.”

“Good!” Spike turned to the literally white prince. “You! You accept her very nice apology. For now, just so you can go on. You don’t need to think you are forgivable until you feel like it and then you tell her, but you stop moping ‘cause it doesn’t make up for the mess you made. Only acting like a... like a grownup does that!”

Vigg swallowed.

“I accept your apology, Miss... Sister Saga,” he said. “It is... most generous.”

“Good!” said Spike. “Now, if you can at least pretend to get along, you two might make this. And...”

He waved both his claws towards himself - and the door.

“We can go inside, Your Highness,” said Saga.

“As you wish, Sister Saga,” he said and bowed. “After you.”

Spike had already barrelled inside before her.

“And you, Lady Twilight,” said Vigg.

Twilight shook her head and followed Saga.

This can’t be a good idea... she thought.


After trotting through the kitchen where the kitchen staff were busy with sedge and lichen and pinecones that actually smelled edible, the Princess and the King stepped outside. Ukko placed himself at the foot of the snow-covered wooden stairs, and looked out into the blizzard. Luna remained on the uppermost step. She didn’t suffer the cold, but she felt it. He didn’t say anything for a long while, just leaving long trails of white breath.

“What did you want to talk about, Your Majesty?” Luna said finally, her voice tinted with irritation.

“I... I’m disappointed in you, Moon Lady,” said Ukko finally. “My trust in you have been shaken, just when I need to trust you the most.”

“I... realize that it might be the case after I told my story,” said Luna bitterly. “But I ensure you, Your Majesty - “

Ukko turned to her and shook his head.

“Not what you did to Wiglek,” he said. “He was not my kin, it was ten centuries ago, and maybe he deserved it, if the sagas are true. It was a horrible, heinous deed that dishonors your name and your herd... but I have done many wrongful deeds myself. There have been blood on my hooves and lies on my muzzle. Yes... even lies.” He looked at Luna as if it pained him to admit it.

“What then...?” she said. He stepped closer, muzzle to muzzle and his nostrils seemed to smoke like a dragon’s in the cold.

“Why is your temple arming the thieves and rabble in my capital?” he said. “Why are they training themselves in combat? Why have they occupied a fort for themselves?”

Luna looked him in the eyes.

“You have misunderstood, Your Majesty,” she said. “They are your soldiers.”

He snorted white breath. “At least tell me a better lie, Dreamweaver.”

“It is true,” she said. “The armaments are paid with money collected in the temple. The training is done by volunteers among my... followers. They do this because of your laws, King Ukko. Your precious laws that made you king. The laws of old. They are training as a militia, so they can do their duty to the kingdom and defend it in its hour of need, from usurpurators and ice monsters. Like you wanted. Public service done by volunteering, instead of by taxation - not that they have any money anyway.”

“How could they afford the weapons then, if they have no money?” he said. “Which gifts did the temple get from them?”

“The antlers of the dead,” said Luna. “All custom points to that selling your antlers and giving your kin gifts that way is a good thing. The ancestors confirm this - remember my priesthood can communicate with them - and I agree. So the whole lot has been shipped off and sold in places where such things are worth their weight in gold. Since the temple was already being repaired by volunteers - many pious woodworkers are without work these days anyway - the council decided to help the war effort instead, in the name of the ancestors. I gave them my blessing. Then, they bought cheap armaments and repaired them or reinforced ihem themselves. The training is done by Grazers or by out-of-work soldiers who didn’t join your enemy, because they were so loyal to you.”

Ukko had remained silent during the explanation.

“I was told... by Mustikka’s stags... that they had occupied a house...” he said.

“Oh, several houses, in the industrial quarter,” said Luna. “A factory complex. It belonged to an industrialist who had taken all his wealth and fled the country, like many of them are doing right now. His debtors didn’t get anything, so they took the law into their own muzzles. His workers plundered the factory, and the clerks the offices. His guards blew up the safe but found nothing in it. One of them was hurt, and ended up in my temple infirmary. He told them about the empty building. It turned out the building had also been taken by a debtor - Jarl Ingvar, the furniture magnate. He became furious, of course, when he found out they camped there, but it was all sorted out.”

“It was?” King Ukko’s eyes narrowed.

“Oh yes,” Luna said. “They made a deal where they rent the place - he had no possibility of earning any money from it anyway. Also, as an apology, he was promised a special, new burial plot for his family, in a specially prestigous place in the new burial ground my temple is planning.”

“New burial ground?” said the King.

“Oh, the news hasn’t spread far behind the slum, most of the other citizens are Skinfaxians,” Luna said, her smile just a little smug. “But we are planning a new burial ground on the other side of the river. There will be places to hang the antlers of your family, so you have a better idea of where to gather and remember them. Jarl Ingvar will get a central place marked with rune-carved stone pillars, etcetera.”

“I see,” said the King.

“He was very satisfied,” said Luna, nodding. “He even sent some vodka and sweetbread to the militiadeer as a gift. He is one of your followers, you know? A true patriot, it seems. Well, there are of course other reasons for him to dislike the wealthy reindeer who are fleeing the country with silver they owe him, but I think he’s sincere. He told me he and his housestags would fight for you, when war comes.”

“So they are fleeing,” he said quietly. “And I who did my best for them... Except for Ingvar, it now seems only the thieves and the whores, the urox and the troll, are the ones who want to do something for me... I have truly failed in all I accomplished...”

“Well, not in everything,” Luna said. “And I, if anypony, can tell you that it is never too late to admit your faults and try to correct them.”

He looked at her.

“No,” he said, “it never is. Thanks for this conversation, Moon Mistress.”

“You are welcome,” she said and smiled. She turned around and made as to leave, but was interrupted by a light tug on her tail.

“But please, make the... Hrimfaxi Militia tell me what they are doing next time,” he said. “They can get to have a parade or something. At the castle.”

“I’ll tell High Priestess Eira,” Luna said, still smiling, and they entered the kitchen again.

Luna excused herself and left for them main room, but Ukko stopped by Heikko, who thought the food took too long time and was eating a very large pastry with hot blueberry jam by a kitchen counter.

“Hi!” he said cheerfully. “How did your high-level royal private conference thingie go?”

“Was that what we were doing?” Ukko said. He didn’t mention the spatters of blueberry jam on the counter - he knew the old berserker would happily lick them up afterwards.

“Kolle said so,” said Heikko.

“It went... very well,” said Ukko. “I feel much better now.”

“Good!” said Heikko.

“But I realized we need to go on a small sortie tomorrow... sort of a treasure-hunting expedition,” he said.

“Yes!” cheered Heikko.

“So we need to stay sober,” Ukko said.

“Nooo...” said Heikko. Then: “Where are we going? The Lummelunda Caverns?”

“To the banks,” said Ukko.

“The... banks?” said Heikko. “Why?”

“That’s where the money is these days, they tell me,” said Ukko and went into the gathering room. His muzzle warped into a smile, a sincere smile, and the people waiting in the gathering room noticed that somehow, it seemed to make him thirty years younger.

Author's Note:

Well, it took me a while, but I guess you know why by now. I expect people to dislike it; it's a expositive chapter and becomes needlessly talky, I didn't handle the language angle well enough and, less objectively, because people will dislike my Luna.

However, it could be said to contain some manner of world-building, and as I gather that's why people read this fic, so you should get something out of it. Also, there will hopefully be more action in the next chapter.

Thanks too Lurks-no-more and Wheelwright for helping proofread!