• Published 1st Mar 2013
  • 4,757 Views, 110 Comments

Love Lost - Eeveexpert



Everypony knows that a Changeling Queen is fiercely protective of every member of her brood, but what happens when that brood refuses her their loyalty?

  • ...
1
 110
 4,757

7 - Meeting With the Queen

"Permission to enter her Majesty's chambers."

"Permissions granted, Maryn. You may approach my throne." Myxine looked up at the sound of hoofsteps falling upon stone. "What news do you bring me from your patrols? Are there any further intrustions from Miasma's brood?"

"Negative, my queen. The last known incursion was the one that attempted and failed to insert one of their own into our hive. That was one week ago. Things have been remarkably quiet."

The Hagfish queen nodded slowly. "It would seem that the drones of the Miasma hive do not share as many of their mother's delusions of power as I had previously thought. Even so, a week allows much time for Miasma to take Chrysalis' hive. No doubt it has fallen by now, as Blackfin told me. Word of this victory will travel with haste. Should this return to her hive, I expect it to incite her children to their usual stupidity..." Myxine stood to silently glide across her chamber and out onto the ledge that overlooked her hive. "The absence of Miasma's antics is appreciated, but I fear this minor reprieve is coming to an end." The queen's calm, sapphire-like eyes surveyed the milling of activity within this main chamber.

Maryn soon joined his matriarch upon the balcony. One look at her sapphire-like eyes told him of the thoughts passing behind them. It was no accident that his own words were the same that dwelt within his queen's mind. "The hive is not strong enough to withstand an assault from the strength that Miasma still possesses."

"Your words carry much truth. Blackfin's infiltration, while short, informed me that Miasma's attacking force was ten score in number. Such news is rather disconcerting. To devote such a force to efforts halfway across Equestria speaks greatly of the remaining soldiers within her hive. A conservative estimate would place the remaining strength of Miasma's hive at eight hundred. Roughly twice our own. A troubling thought indeed."

"Are there any preparations you would ask of me, my queen?"

"Truthfully, there is little we can do, short of delaying the inevitable. Double your usual reconiassance and report any and all suspicious findings to me with haste."

"As you wish, your Majesty." The centurion nodded curtly and turned to leave.

Myxine's eyes followed Maryn down the stony path and watched him as he selected a small group of soldiers to accompany him. Be wary, my children...

-------------------------

As Maryn and his half-dozen carefully chosen soldiers emerged from the hive's main tunnel, the armored changeling turned to his party. "Acta, Mari, I want you two combing the beach. Vilnis, Havet, take to the waves. I do not think that Miasma scum would be so smart as to try such a method, but Queen Myxine is taking no chances. We cannot risk news of Miasma's victory reaching her hive. Kallas, Blackfin, with me; we shall patrol the forests atop the cliffside. Move slowly and maintain a low profile. If any intruders are in our territory, the element of surprise will prove most useful. Dismissed!"

At the centurion's command, the seven changelings trotted from the cave, splitting into their designated groups. The trio headed by Maryn selected a makeshift path up the cliffside, forgoing the usual flight in order to retain any sense of stealth. A flick of his royal blue elytra sent each of his soldiers off on their own.

Maryn's eyes moved back and forth across his path. Every step he took, he inspected the ground and foliage around him. Flattened grasses, broken branches, disturbed leaves; nothing escaped his scrutinous eye. The centurion was on the lookout for anything strange and everything unusual. The sounds that reached his ears were nothing out of the ordinary; the calls of one bird to another to warn of the changeling walking amongst the floor of their leafy home.

A cacophony of excited calls, a far cry from the usual, sounded from the forest to Maryn's left, drawing his attention. He paused to better listen. The birds were reacting to something. Something that was moving quickly, breaking twigs in its wake. Whatever it was, its movements were not made with any sort of discretion in mind.

When the crashing couldn't get any closer, the bushes before the Hagfish centurion exploded. From the scattered leaves and twigs, a changeling marked with the blue of the Chrysalis hive galloped toward him. Maryn reacted just as quickly as the enemy had appeared. He ducked to the side and hooked a foreleg around that of his adversary. Before the Chrysalis changeling could react to this maneuver, Maryn hip checked him into a spin that placed him on his back in the dirt.

Further rustling behind the centurion produced another of his mother's hive, who made straight for the prone trespasser. "Miasma maggot! How dare you trespass in Queen Myxine's territory!"

Maryn moved to place himself within his soldier's path. "Stand down, Kallas. This intruder is not of the Miasma hive."

"Damned idiot!" the Chrysalis changeling hissed. "That's what I've been telling you!"

Without any warning, Maryn whirled and cracked a hard hoof against the side of the enemy changeling's head, buffeting him to the ground. "Be mindful of your mother's inherited tongue, whelp. You are in Hagfish territory, disrespecting my soldiers. That is not a safe place to stand." A quick sniff of the air pressed the telltale pheromones of the Chrysalis hive against the centurion's nostrils. "Your scents indeed affiliate you with the same hive as your coloring. Yet...I sense a faint stench of Miasma upon you... Mayhaps you are of the Miasma hive and simply cannot mask your mother's filth."

The slap from Maryn's hoof had set alight a furious light in the eyes of the Chrysalis changeling. "All centurions are trained in illusion-breaking dispel magics. Test me." After a brief pause, Maryn's horn flashed, bathing the Chrysalis changeling in a cone of blue light. Not surprisingly, no changes occurred. "There. I'm not part of the Miasma filth. Let me g-" The meeting of another hoof with his jaw effortlessly rendered him both silent and unconscious.

Maryn turned from the comatose changeling. "Kallas, I'm placing you in charge of this scouting party. Locate Blackfin and inform him of what happened."

"Very well. What of you, sir?"

"I shall escort our 'guest' back to the hive. No doubt Her Majesty would want to know of this development."

-------------------------

"An interesting happening, to be sure. How did you say you came across him?"

"It was actually Kallas that discovered him, your Majesty. This one crossed my path in fleeing from him."

"For what reason did you bring this outsider to my chambers?"

"Your Majesty, if there are any that could possibly aid us in the struggle against Miasma it would be one from the hive she has conquered."

"Your logic is sound, my child. Answer something for me then. Was this trespasser unconscious when you entered the hive with him?"

"Of course, your Majesty. Why would you ask?"

"Because now...his unconsciousness is nothing but a mere ruse." Myxine's crooked horn set itself alight with a deep blue flame that cast the same aura about the throat of the Chrysalis changeling. She lifted him up to her eye level where she watched him squirm with a detached interest. "If you wish to keep breathing, I suggest you put some thought into your answer. I want your name, hive of origin, and your reason for this intrusion into my territory."

"Ngck! My...name is Kytin. I belong to the Chrysalis hive and I...am searching for my queen after the failed Canterlot assault." The reply seemed to placate the changeling queen. Kytin coughed as the azure magic returned him to the floor before dissipating.

"So, your queen did move upon Canterlot. Tell me, what is the reason for such a foolish move?"

Kytin's lips parted just enough to allow an angry hiss from his lungs. "Take back your disrespectful words... My queen is not foolish..."

"Still your ignorant tongue before I have my centurion rip it from your mouth. I did not call your queen as such. That is a title I hold for Miasma alone. I hold much respect for your queen and I know she would not mount an attack on Canterlot without adequate reason. She did it for you, didn't she? For her children?" Silence speaks volumes and Myxine read Kytin's like the book it was. "Choose not to answer me, I do not care. I already know the answer. A queen's love for her children can drive her to poor decisions. Your queen moved on Canterlot for you. I cannot rightly say that I would not have done something of similar manner were I in the same position. I still hold the same respect for Chrysalis, even now. What transpired there that would cause you to become so far removed from your queen?"

"An explosion scattered the attacking force across the Everfree Forest. Many of them managed to find their way back to the hive. Our queen never returned. Those of them who did returned to find Miasma seated upon her Majesty Chrysalis' throne."

"What of Miasma's attacking force? I have intelligence that places her strength at roughly two hundred. Were any defeated by those still within the hive at the time of her arrival?"

Kytin shook his head. "I was acting centurion for the hive in Sylph's absence. Those that had already returned from Canterlot let Miasma freely walk into the hive and assign herself to the throne. Not a drop of blood was spilled, not until the witch Miasma began to remove the loyalists from the hive."

"Those still loyal to Chrysalis, yes?"

"Yes. Miasma offered them a choice. They could choose to stay and be slain at her horn or choose to search for their queen and risk being hunted and killed by the timberwolves."

"And yet...either luck or fate has led you to stand before me today."

"Perhaps it is the same that keeps me breathing within your hive."

Myxine's eyes darkened just enough for her guest to take notice. "Make no mistake, Kytin. It is by my decision that you continue to draw breath. Nothing else. Do not mistake this decision as hospitality. I am not fond of outsiders within my territory, much less my hive. You offer a chance to stifle Miasma's spread across Equestria. The instant I decide you provide nothing more to offer toward this goal will be the last instant you draw breath."

"In that case, I suppose I should be thankful." Kytin's sarcasm fell thick from his mouth.

"If you wish to stay in what good graces I have left, you may start by using that breath of yours to help me determine exactly what Miasma is conducting in your hive. I know that Miasma left with a force of two hundred strong. How many of them still remain within your queen's hive?"

"At the time I left, they all remained. Though with the ease that she usurped Her Majesty's throne, I would not put it past Miasma to deploy her invading force elsewhere."

"Indeed." the Hagfish queen murmured distantly. Instead of responding directly to Kytin's answer, Myxine turned her eyes toward her centurion. "Maryn. Your patrols during this past week. You have not seen any Miasma activity to speak of, yes?"

"That is correct, your Majesty. The only notable occurrence is the Chrysalis intruder that stands before your throne."

"Then Miasma thinks her luck enough for her soldiers to topple a hive with an acting queen. How insipid. Ambrosia will slaughter every last one."

"Ambrosia? That simple-minded cretin? What could she do?"

"Tell me, Kytin. Where did your ignorance come from? Because it is not inherited from your mother, that much is certain. Underestimating a queen when her hive is in danger will be the last choice you will ever make. Still, if Miasma forces are advancing upon Ambrosia with no leader, this proves beneficial. Her soldiers are divided and weak. Miasma has spread herself too thin to resist a concerted attack. Ambrosia will repel Miasma's soldiers with ease." Silence fell upon the throne room, broken only by the occasional rasp of shifting elytra.

Maryn was the first to speak again. "Your Majesty, you estimated the current strength of Miasma's hive at roughly twice our own. Even at the least, that would still number eight hundred. Were Ambrosia to fell every last one of Miasma's invading party, such a loss would hardly be felt with her remaining forces. As long as Miasma's hive holds strength, our own is in danger."

"Which is why a terminal strike against Miasma is of the utmost importance. It must be swift and thorough. All of her soldiers must fall."

"No disrespect, my queen, but conducting an endeavor of such magnitude with our current number of soldiers would require no less than a miracle."

"Or..." Myxine's sapphire eyes closed in thought. "Careful planning." Maryn's eyes followed the female as she stood from her throne. "Kytin, remain here. I must seek a private audience with my centurion. Maryn, with me."

Even the thread his life hung on could not pull the smirk from Kytin's face. "What bids me to take orders from a rival queen in a hive other than my own?"

"Absolutely nothing." Myxine threw the barbed retort back over her shoulder. "But if you want to walk free from my hive, you will obey them regardless. The choice is yours."

Maryn was nothing short of stunned at these orders, but he held his tongue until alone with his queen. "Your Majesty, how can you allow such arrogance free passage from our hive? And after he was so boldly caught trespassing?"

The changeling queen calmly turned to face her centurion. "I am well aware of Kytin's arrogance; he is most certainly a child of Chrysalis. It is for that reason that he will be allowed to walk free. He may return to his mother to relay information of the plans to exterminate Miasma's hive."

"'Return to his mother?'" Maryn echoed in disbelief. "What is to stop him from relaying information such as the strength of our forces to his mother?"

"Chrysalis' hive is mere weeks old. For her to capitalize on such information would be more foolish than both her attack on Canterlot and Miasma's lust for power combined. Chrysalis may be headstrong and arrogant, but she is not greedy. But, like his mother, Kytin is not the threat here, nor are they the reason for this meeting. Miasma is far closer to our territory and should thus be treated with more urgency."

"Of course, your Majesty. Forgive me."

"Now, when Blackfin returned from his mission, I know he reported to you first with the finer details. Details such as entrance points and possible weaknesses that may be exploited. Relay them to me at once."

"Blackfin reported that he entered Miasma's hive via a waterway that flowed straight to the ocean. Easily accessible. Aside from that, the hive appears to be solidly constructed alongside the existing Manehattan sewer system. It would stand to reason that the hive possesses an extensive network of tunnels as well."

"Manehattan is a large city... No doubt its sewer systems are still in active use." Myxine murmured. "That will be Miasma's downfall. The most efficient way to eliminate a hive near the ocean is to flood it. Every last tunnel. The Miasma scum have spent far too long living in their own filth. Now they will drown in it."

------------------------

Drip!

Drip!

Enemy changelings are rarely, if ever, allowed in a hive that is not their own. There usually aren't accommodations in place for their amusement. Kytin had located a small puddle against the wall in the meantime. He swirled the algae growing upon its surface into a lazy spiral before letting the water that had collected in his leg holes drip back into the pool.

"Kytin, I have spoken with my centurion and we have constructed a plan. While Miasma is consumed with her efforts on the other side of Equestria, my children and I shall proceed to remove her hive from existence. You may return to your mother with this information. If things have transpired as I have been told, I strongly doubt she need motivation, but she is to eliminate any Miasma soldiers she may come across. Miasma must pay the price for her foolish power lust. Nothing less than the total eradication of her children will suffice."

Kytin snarled in approval. "That is something I can agree with."

Myxine nodded. "I suspected as much. I also suspect you wish to return to your mother, yes?"

"If it would please her great and esteemed Majesty."

"I've had enough of your arrogant tongue, maggot!" Maryn barked, starting for the Chrysalis changeling.

"Enough, Maryn." Myxine blocked her centurion with an extended hoof. "Kytin's arrogance wears on my nerves as well, but to slay him now does little to further our efforts. I have other plans for him. Fetch Vesci."

-------------------------

"All right, grub. Eyes closed."

"I barely took orders from your mother." Kytin sniffed disdainfully. "What makes you think I'll take them from you?"

"Listen here, ass." Vesci prodded the Chrysalis changeling hard in his chest. "I was ordered to escort you back to your mother alive. I was not required to do so with your sight intact. Now shut your eyes before I shut them permanently."

The one thing more powerful than Kytin's sarcasm was the desire to preserve his own well-being. "Fine..." he snorted.

"Eyes shut, nose forward, and follow my pheromone trail."

Kytin did as he was told, albeit reluctantly. The trip before him was short, though he did stub his hoof on more stones than he could be bothered to remember. "Agh! How many more damned rocks are you going to lead me across!?"

"Keep your mouth shut, whelp."

It wasn't until Kytin felt the sun's warmth falling upon his carapace that he was finally told to open his eyes once more. He was greeted by long, swaying grasses painted upon hills rolling off to meet the thick Everfree Forest.

The beauty of the cliffside was lost upon the two changelings. Vesci sniffed airily. "Come on then. There's a long trip between us and your queen. I don't want to take any longer with this than I have to."

"This is it? This is why I had to close my eyes? Pathetic..."

"Save it. I could care less about your opinion of the surroundings. Your territory doesn't ride up against Miasma's. You don't have to maintain secrets to ensure the survival of your hive. Whether or not you want to relay what information of our hive that you already know back to your queen is beyond my capacity to care. However, the less you take back with you, the better I'll feel. Now put some motion to those useless hooves of yours."

Author's Note:

Good news, folks! At the time of this posting, chapter 8 is over halfway done. And, to slake your thirst until then, I've commissioned Carnifex for a Myxine piece to be completed in the near future. Also, 10 points to anyone who can figure out the two criteria I use for naming centurions.

Fun fact of the day: Myxine is the youngest of Carni's three queens.

Enjoy and stay classy, readers.

*Approved for your viewing pleasure by Carnifex and Spiritofthwwolf.