• Published 28th Feb 2013
  • 3,195 Views, 348 Comments

The Equestria Games: First Blood - 8_Bit



A crossover with The Hunger Games. While the original book/movie focus on the 74th Games, this takes us all the way back to where it started, where the first blood was spilled to entertain the masses. The story of the 1st Equestria Games.

  • ...
14
 348
 3,195

Chapter XXIII: Emotional Trauma

“Um, Twilight?”

“Yeah?”

“I was, um, just wondering, um, if you could show me how to throw a knife. That is, if you don’t mind.”

Twilight paused as she swallowed her energy bar. Having finished the breakfast Fluttershy’s bird friends had brought them, and still being hungry, she had reasoned it was fair enough to begin to dig into the rations, as long as their portions weren’t too generous.

“It’s an odd time to ask, isn’t it?”

“Um, what do you mean?”

Twilight smiled. “I can show you a few techniques, but you really should have asked during training.”

Fluttershy blushed. “Oh, yeah. I guess I just didn’t want to ask in front of everypony.”

Twilight gave a slight chuckle at this. It was taking time, but she was finally beginning to get used to Fluttershy’s timid nature. She was a sweet soul in every sense, and by no stretch of the imagination was she the kind of pony that deserved to be in the arena.

“Well, I can definitely show you some techniques. Let’s finish up here, and then we can find somewhere else to practise. I don’t fancy hanging around the same place for too long.”

Fluttershy nodded appreciatively, and finished her energy bar, making sure to bury the wrapper before she went off to refill the water bottle in the river. Twilight finished hers before making sure she had everything packed up tightly in her saddle pack. The knife sat within easy reach to her right, and the EpiPen in the left, both in case of emergencies. Satisfied she was ready, she made her way over to the river.

Fluttershy was adding the iodine to the water as she arrived. “We all good to go?”

“Yep,” Twilight answered, looking around, trying to gauge her surroundings. “Let’s head upstream, see if we can find a river crossing.”

Fluttershy followed as Twilight began to hike along the river. “Why do we need to cross?”

“Well,” Twilight began to explain as they walked. “The river cuts all the way across the arena. But as far as I can see, it’s not perfectly centered. I’d its around three quarters of the way across.”

Fluttershy was able to see the logic in this. “So we’re on the big side, where everypony else is going to be.”

Twilight nodded. “Exactly. I seriously doubt anypony else will have gone to the trouble of crossing a river when there’s a lot more hiding places on the side they’re already on.”

This made a lot of sense. The area on the other side of the river made up a tiny portion of the land mass in the arena, so the chances of finding anypony else over there was relatively low. At least if there were any other ponies over there, they wouldn’t be too hard to find.

It took about an hour, but they finally found a portion of the river shallow enough to cross, on a particularly wide curve. This didn’t seem to bother the two ponies though, as the water was cool and refreshing, especially in the late morning sun. They soon found themselves across, before they sat down for a rest. The arena was massive, and despite being essentially a giant semi-circle, it must have been about ten miles from the coastline to the furthest point back of the cliff face.

“Right,” Twilight said as she sipped the water bottle, before offering it to Fluttershy, who took it gratefully. “Why don’t I talk you through some basic techniques first?”

“Um, okay. But can I ask you something? That is, if you don’t mind.”

“Of course I don’t mind” she replied with a smile. “What’s up?”

“Well, you’re a unicorn, so I expected you to only be good at anything using magic. So, um, how come you’re so good at throwing with your hooves?”

Twilight sat up straight as memories flooded back. “It’s how my brother taught me, and it’s how he taught himself. See, he always threw manually so he’d never have to rely solely on his magic to get him out of dangerous situations. He taught me the same way, and for the same reason.”

Fluttershy seemed satisfied with this explanation, and took a large swig of water. Of course, this was only half of the truth. Twilight pushed these thoughts to the back of her head as she began to explain, and pulled out her knife for demonstration.

“Okay, this knife is well balanced. That means its neither blade nor handle heavy. So, we’ll start off with how to hold it properly to get the best throw possible.”

The next few hours ran to this tune. Fluttershy was a good listener, sitting avidly and patiently, listening carefully to Twilight’s instructions. She tended to ramble every now and then, but was always quick to return to the main subject. It was a fair amount of spoken instruction for such a practical task, but Twilight wanted to be thorough. After a long and almost unbroken lecture about the physics, particularly the importance of the knife being perpendicular to the ground on release, Fluttershy was finally given a chance to actually throw the knife. She was stood up, facing a tree with a crude target carved into the center, trying practice throws, with Twilight pointing out minor flaws in her stance with every shot.

For somepony so timid and introverted, Fluttershy turned out to be a half decent thrower. More than anything, Twilight was just enjoying the company of somepony who wasn’t going to bludgeon her head in. She felt strange as she taught Fluttershy, a feeling that made her reminiscent of the times she’d spent with Shining Armor at the clearing, to the extent where she could almost see the rainbow in the mist.

It was nice to be with somepony in the arena. She’d have liked to have Thunderlane here, but for one thing, she hadn’t seen him since the games began, and she didn’t even know if he was still alive. Several more cannons had been fired during the night, and these were after the incident with Papercraft, but their pictures wouldn’t be flashed into the sky until later that evening, so there was no way of telling who had been killed.

Besides, as nice as it would have been to have Thunderlane here with her, she had promised not to mention their feelings towards each other in the arena. The capitol had taken so much from both of them, so she could see from his point of view. It was nice to hold on to one thing they can never take from her.

This must have been why Twilight enjoyed Fluttershy’s company so much. She didn’t need to share awkward family discussions with her, and there was no worry of any complications with their friendships arising due to romantic interests in each other. Twilight smiled as Fluttershy got in a decent shot, only a few inches away from the center of the target. Part of the smile was congratulatory, but for the most part, it was fueled by a surge of happiness just to have somepony nearby she could simply call a friend.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Nighteye! Fire Work! Wake up you lazy featherheads!”

Rainbow Dash’s voice echoed in the small space of the cornucopia as the two stallions moaned inside their separate sleeping bags, stuck in the awkward stage of waking up where reality began to seep into their dreams, before finally they were finally woken completely by Pyro and Rainbow Dash pouring water on them.

“Hey!” Fire Work said, sitting up in his sleeping bag. “We were up all night on watch while you guys slept! A little gratitude would be nice!”

“Gratitude my flank,” chuckled Rainbow Dash as she walked over to the large pile of bags piled up at the back of the cramped room. “You guys must have been out for about six hours now, that’s plenty of sleep.”

“Yeah,” Pyro said as she joined Rainbow Dash at the pile of bags, before beginning to go through them. “Anyway, it’s just gone noon, so I think it’s high time we had some lunch.”

Nighteye’s stomach growled at the mention of food, making him smile slightly. “Yeah, we got any decent food?”

“I went through some of the bags yesterday,” Pinkie said as she walked in. “Energy bars, crackers, and not much more. I think they want us to find food ourselves.”

“Well, at least they scattered out some bottled water,” Pyro said as she pulled a clear plastic bottle from one of the packs. “But there’s only been some in a couple of the bags I checked last night. Plenty of empty flasks and iodine though.”

“Right,” Rainbow Dash said, pulling a map of the arena out of a bag, and laying it on the floor. “We’re right here at the cornucopia, and the nearest part of the river to us is this bend here, which is about half a mile away. Fire Work, Pinkie, you can take a saddle pack each, grab as many empty flasks as you can, and some bottles of iodine. Fill them all up, and purify them as you go.”

The pair nodded, and made their way to the back of the small room, grabbing and emptying a saddle pack each, before going through all the other bags, finding as many flasks as they could, and putting them in their own bags.

“Nighteye and Pyro, you two were best at identifying safe plants to eat, so I want you two to scavenge around the area here, get as much food as you can,” Rainbow Dash continued, gesturing in a circular motion around the area of the cornucopia. “Try and stay within a quarter mile area though.”

Pyro nodded, and walked to the back to collect a saddle pack for herself, but Nighteye stood to face Rainbow Dash. “What about you?” he asked.

She turned around, looking at the one other sleeping bag in the small room, its occupant still sleeping soundly. “I’ll hold the fort here, and I’ll try and talk some sense into Rarity. She’s still torn up over Blueblood, and we need her fighting fit. Hopefully I can get her to snap out of it.”

Nighteye nodded as Pyro handed him an empty saddle pack. Pinkie and Fire Work now had enough flasks, and made their way out of the cornucopia, followed by Nighteye and Pyro, leaving Rainbow Dash alone with Rarity. She sat down next to her with one of the pre-packed water bottles, and a few of the energy bars, before she gently shook her awake.

Rarity moaned softly as Rainbow Dash shook her. “Oh Sweetie Belle, just a few more minutes please darling…”

“Sweetie Belle?” Rainbow asked with a chuckle.

Hearing the voice next to her was not that of her younger sibling, Rarity sat up to face her companion, as the dream faded away, replaced by the memories of last night and where she was.

“Oh,” she said, almost broken heartedly. “I’m sorry, I was just…”

“Don’t worry about it,” Rainbow Dash said with a shrug, handing her the water bottle. “Thinking about home?”

Rarity didn’t respond, only sipping the water and rubbing her eyes, still slightly red from crying. The events of the night before hadn’t really taken their toll until she had returned to the cornucopia, followed shortly after by Pinkie. Seeing her traumatized state was enough for her companions to let her off her watch for the night, but their benevolence wasn’t going to last long. If she stayed in her emotionally wrecked state, she’d be of no use to them, and therefore they would have no reason to keep her alive.

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Rainbow Dash finally stood up, and gestured to a pile of smaller plastic bags against the wall, each one filled with various colored packets. “Me and Pyro went through some of the bags, got whatever food we could find out of them. Help yourself if you’re hungry.”

Rarity smiled appreciatively as Rainbow Dash walked to the mouth of the cornucopia, picking up a large sword she’d left against the wall. She practiced stabbing and slashing with an imaginary opponent as Rarity called out from back inside.

“So, where’s everypony else gone?”

“Pinkie Pie and Fire Work went for water, and Pyro and Nighteye went to gather food.”

“Err, but there’s water and food here.”

“Look at how much though,” Rainbow Dash laughed. “You really expect seven of us to survive on four bottles of water, a few packets of dry crackers, and some cheapo energy bars?”

“Seven?”

Rainbow Dash paused as she was about to behead her imaginary challenger. Seven? Yeah, there was seven of them. She’d taken a mental note of that fact when they’d gathered after the initial bloodbath yesterday. So why was Rarity questioning that?

And the penny dropped.

“Oh,” she said quietly. “Yeah, sorry. I guess I wasn’t thinking straight.”

Rarity picked up her bow and arrow, and made her way out of the cornucopia.

“Hey,” Rainbow called after her as she headed towards the trees. “Where are you going?”

“I need some time alone,” she called back.

Pyro had been plucking apples from a tree right on the edge to the large clearing, and had seen the whole thing. She trotted over to Rainbow Dash, who was scratching her head in disbelief.

“What’s her problem?” she asked as she approached.

“Dunno. I guess she’s still hurting from losing Blueblood. She fancied him, you know?”

“If the cameras were pointed at those two for more than a few minutes yesterday, I think all of Equestria knows. Want me to go after her?”

Rainbow thought for a few seconds. “No, she said she needs her space, so we’ll give it to her. Like I said earlier, we need her fighting fit as soon as possible.”

Pyro nodded as she turned around to make her way back to the apple tree. “What if she can’t get fighting fit any time soon?”

“Then we kill her. I’m not dragging her sorry over-emotional flank all over this arena, not for anypony. If she’s too much of a prissy to deal with death in a game like this, then that’s her problem, not ours.”

Author's Note:

I thought Fluttershy and Twilight could do with a fun activity to bond over, so the totally-not-dangerous activity of Knife Throwing seemed ideal. It also shines a light on how Twilight is so good at Knife Throwing with her hooves, not with her magic.

Also, we begin to see things from the perspective of the clique ponies, and how Rarity may be more torn up over Blueblood than you may initially expect. Bear in mind, in this universe she hasn't been blown off by him at the Grand Galloping Gala, so she still very much has her schoolfilly crush on him. Or, she did.

Anyways, I'm now releasing every couple of days, as I was struggling to keep up with my initial pace. Deal with it.

Laters! 8_Bit out!
Kthnxbai!
<3