• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 5,238 Views, 256 Comments

More Than She Could Dream Of - Melon Hunter



Pinkie finds herself heartbroken after another rejection. A chance meeting leads to a blossoming relationship, but is her new love life worth the friction it causes in her friendships?

  • ...
16
 256
 5,238

Invitations

More Than She Could Dream Of

Chapter 8

Invitations

Pinkie woke up to a face full of hair. She gave a faint snort of confusion, before realising that Surprise was snuggled up against her chest, poofy yellow mane acting as a impromptu pillow.

The pegasus was still snoring gently, one of her wings laid over and her forelegs wrapped tightly around Pinkie’s torso. The earth pony looked down at her sleeping marefriend, a faint smile adorning her face. Despite pining for a special somepony for so long, she’d never really paid much mind to the physical intimacy a relationship would bring. Now, though, she couldn’t believe she’d never thought about how wonderful it would be to wake up next to her lover.

Pinkie squeezed a little harder, eliciting a murmur from Surprise, who opened her eyes and stared up at the earth pony.

“Oh... good morning,” Surprise said, a faint blush appearing on her cheeks.

“Morning!” Pinkie replied cheerfully. “Did you sleep well?”

Surprise murred happily and nuzzled beneath Pinkie’s chin. “Never better. And you?”

“Great! Besides, I’ve never slept like this before! I mean, of course I’ve been to slumber parties and stuff, but I haven’t ever slept with anoth—” Pinkie’s happy rambling stopped as Surprise placed a hoof against her mouth and frowned.

“Hey, can you hear that?” the pegasus said. “Sounds like hoofsteps...”

Pinkie nodded happily as Surprise removed her hoof. “Oh yeah! The Cakes are probably back from Fillydelphia.” She looked at the alarm clock on the table. “I mean, we’ve slept in till the middle of the afternoon, after all!”

A look of panic crossed Surprise’s face. “The Cakes? You mean, the ponies who own this place? And look after you?!”

“Well, yeah, who else would it be?” Pinkie giggled, then noticed her marefriend’s expression. “You’re not worried about meeting them, are you? You seemed okay with Applejack.”

Surprise gave Pinkie a baleful glance. “Pinkie, when I met Applejack, it wasn’t the morning after we’d had a date, I wasn’t snuggled up in bed next to you, and Applejack wasn’t your surrogate mother!” she hissed. “If they were to walk through the door right now, would you not find that awkward in the slightest?”

Pinkie shrugged. “Eh, I’m sure they’ll understand.” Surprise’s retort was lost as a knock came at the door.

“Oh, Pinkie Pie?” Mrs. Cake called. “Are you up, dear?” She pushed open the door and stuck her head in just as Surprise’s eyes went wide in shock, the pegasus ducking beneath the covers. The portly mare blushed as she looked at Pinkie. “Oh, I’m sorry Pinkie! I didn’t realise you were... still in bed.”

“No, no, it’s fine,” Pinkie reassured her. She rubbed a comforting hoof through Surprise’s mane, the pegasus now cowering beneath the sheets.

Cup Cake opened her mouth uncertainly, taking a step back. “A-are you alright, dear? I’ve never known you to be in bed this late!”

“Oh, I’m just great, Mrs. Cake! Besides, we stayed up really late last night!” Pinkie said, resting her head on a forehoof.

Mrs. Cake nodded. “So, you had fun on your date?” she asked.

“Yeah! We got up to all kinds of things!” There was a reproachful prod to her belly from Surprise. “Even a sleepover!”

Cup Cake gazed at the bed and nodded mechanically. “I... well, I suppose you’re a full-grown mare now. Um, is Surprise still around?” Pinkie nodded and patted the lump underneath the covers. Cup blushed deeply as the cover slid away slightly, revealing an equally flushed Surprise.

“Um... h-hey,” the pegasus murmured, waving slightly.

The revelation blew a fuse somewhere in Cup Cake’s mind, as one of her eyelids twitched, and a slightly strangled noise came from her throat. After a moment, she snapped out of her stupour. “L-look, um, I suppose this is a bad time, Pinkie. Just come downstairs and clean up your dinner dishes once you’re, uh, done,” she said. With that, she turned and fled down the stairs.

After an awkward silence, Surprise piped up, “Well, that went as well as could be expected.”

“What do you mean?” Pinkie asked. “I think Mrs. Cake liked you!”

“I guess if you count going catatonic as ‘liking’ me,” Surprise deadpanned. She struggled out of the sheets she was tangled in and crawled up the bed towards Pinkie, lavishing her marefriend’s cheeks with light kisses. “So... what do you want to do today?”

“Well...” Pinkie rolled her eyes upwards in thought. “Why don’t we throw the party tonight? I mean, now that you wanna meet all my friends, we can give you a proper welcome! A real shindig!” she exclaimed.

Surprise nodded. “Okay. So, planning it out and giving out invitations? That sounds like a good idea!” She tapped her chin thoughtfully. “Although...”

“What’s the matter?” Pinkie asked, looking up at her.

“Considering the reaction I got, maybe I shouldn’t come parading downstairs with you. Might make somepony flip a table, y’know?” Surprise said with a grin. “I tell you what. I’ll go grab all of my party supplies from my house and bring ‘em back here. You go and give out the invites. Deal?”

Pinkie hesitated for a moment. “Well...”

Surprise frowned. “Something on your mind?”

“I don’t wanna have to leave you now! I-I mean, after last night and all.” Pinkie let out a nervous giggle. “Can’t we do this together?”

“It isn’t much of an introduction if I’m tagging along with you to invite your friends now, is it?” Surprise replied. She rubbed noses with the earth pony, smiling. “Look, it’ll be a couple of hours, tops. You get your invites out, I’ll get my extra party gear, and we’ll meet back here this evening. Then, it’ll be party time. Deal?”

“Deal!” Pinkie exclaimed, wrapping her forelegs around Surprise and pulling her into a tight hug.

Surprise bent down slightly to whisper in Pinkie’s ear. “Annnd... after everypony’s gone, we can have a little party of our own.”

“You mean like an after-part—ohhh!” Pinkie flushed slightly as Surprise bent back and fixed her with a wicked grin. “Totally.”

“I’m glad to hear it.” The pegasus gave Pinkie one last, sloppy kiss and wriggled out of the embrace. She trotted to the window and pushed it open, before turning her head back to face the earth pony. “I’ll see you in a bit, then,” she said with a wink. Surprise spread her wings and flew out into the afternoon sky.

After a moment spent in a contented daze, Pinkie stretched and hopped out of bed, bouncing downstairs to meet the Cakes. She was greeted by an excited pair of gurgles from the twins as she entered the kitchen. “Heya, guys! How was Fillydelphia? Didja have fun?” she asked them, receiving happy giggles in reply.

“Why, yes we did,” said Mr. Cake, who was busy rolling out dough while keeping an eye on his children. “And I heard you had a good time last night?” He motioned to the pile of dishes that had been piled by the sink.

Pinkie’s eyes went wide in guilt, and she scurried over to the sink, scrubbing at the dirty dishes. “It was totally amazing!” she began. As the mountain of dirty crockery shrank, she chattered away, recounting the events of the night before. The last plate clattered into the drying rack as she finished, “...and then Surprise was all ‘we don’t need dessert!’ and then we went upstairs and—”

“That’s, um, great to hear, Pinkie,” Mr. Cake said, waving a hoof to cease Pinkie’s verbal tsunami with a worried look at the twins, who were obliviously playing in the corner.

“Yes... wonderful, dear.” Pinkie spun around from her position at the sink to see Mrs. Cake, who had briefly walked back into the kitchen from the main counter. “Thank you for cleaning up after yourself, Pinkie.”

“No problem, Mrs. Cake!” Pinkie exclaimed. She put on a big, innocent smile. “Would you guys be alright with me holding a party here tonight?”

Mr. Cake smiled. “Well, of course! You know the party room’s always available for you.”

“Goody! Because I was gonna introduce Surprise to all my friends tonight, and what better way is there than to throw a proper fiesta?” she said excitedly, pulling a sombrero seemingly from the ether and planting it atop her head.

“Uh...” Cup Cake pursed her lips for a second, giving a nervous glance to her husband, who was staring in perplextion at Pinkie’s new headgear. “Are you sure about that?” she asked.

Pinkie nodded vigorously. “Well, yeah! I mean, Surprise asked me to throw the party! Why wouldn’t I be sure?”

“I guess I just... I mean, after I came to your room this morning, uh...” Mrs. Cake’s cheeks flushed slightly. “Never mind. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Just fine! As long as you aren’t up too late.” She waved a forehoof by way of vague explanation. “You know.”

Mr. Cake looked from one mare to the other, a confused frown on his face. “Is there something I’m missing here?” he asked uncertainly. Pinkie just shrugged, while Cup Cake raised an eyebrow at her oblivious husband. “Fair enough, then.” He returned to rolling out the dough.

Cup sighed quietly. “Well, if you’re going to be going out inviting everypony to the party, Rarity and Fluttershy have just come in for a refreshment,” she told Pinkie. “Why don’t you go and tell them all about it, while I go fill in Carrot Cake on”—she fixed her husband with an irritated glare—“things.”

Pinkie nodded, flipping the sombrero off of her head. She bounced through the doors and into the front room of Sugarcube Corner, looking around for Rarity and Fluttershy. She saw the pair sat at a table near the corner, sipping at cups of tea. “Hi, Rarity! Hi, Fluttershy!” she called.

“Oh, hello, Pinkie Pie!” Rarity replied, turning her head to look Pinkie’s way. “I was hoping we’d see you. We just got back from the spa.” She gestured to her and Fluttershy’s freshly cleaned manes. She smiled at the earth pony. “Well, you’re looking rather... radiant yourself, I must say.”

“Like, all glowy?” Pinkie looked at a stretched-out foreleg in confusion.

The unicorn waved a forehoof, giggling softly. “Oh no, I just meant... well, looking better.” She smiled at Pinkie. “So, I heard from Mrs. Cake that there’s been a sea change with Surprise?”

Pinkie gave a snort of laughter. “Oh, no! We haven’t been to the beach yet, silly! We just had a dinner date last night!”

Rarity raised an eyebrow, before saying, “Ah, yes. Well, I’m very glad that you two have made up. I must admit, Pinkie, if you can get over a row like that amicably, then I’m sure you and Surprise will be able to build a very strong relationship.”

The earth pony said nothing for a moment, taken aback by the growing warmth inside her, sparked by Rarity’s comment. “Um... thanks!” she said eventually.

“I’m glad, too,” Fluttershy piped up, cradling the tea cup in her forehooves. “I mean, I heard all kinds of things from everypony... I was so worried about you.” Her gaze dropped from Pinkie, focusing on the tea instead. “I’m sorry if I caused any trouble between you and Surprise when you came to visit. I mean, that was all I heard, and then I found out you’d broken up an—” she terminated her own speech with a guilty squeak, her ears flattening against her head.

“No, no! It’s fine,” Pinkie reassured her. “Better than fine, actually! Surprise and I want to throw you all a party so you can meet her properly tonight. So, you’re both invited!”

Fluttershy gave her a tiny smile. “Oh! That’d be nice.”

“Indeed!” Rarity agreed. “I’ll look forward to finally meeting this mysterious mare.”

Pinkie grinned. “Then get your glad rags on, because this is going to be the better-late-than-never welcome-and-introduce-all-my-friends-to-my-special-somepony-combined party to end all”—she paused to take a huge breath—“better-late-than-never welcome-and-introduce-all-my-friends-to-my-special-somepony-combined parties ever!” She looked over her shoulder at the front door. “Now I’d better get going! I need to send out the invites and get the party ready! See ya later!” She barely saw the nods of approval before rushing out through the door. Time was going to be tight.


Before going to find Rainbow Dash and Applejack, who could be anywhere in the sky or the orchards respectively, Pinkie decided to find the one friend who could be reliably found in one place.

She poked her head around the door of the library, to see Twilight arranging a few books on the shelves with her magic. “Hey, Twilight!” Pinkie called.

Twilight turned her head to look at Pinkie, and smiled. “Oh, hi, Pinkie! What’s up?” She frowned slightly. “Are you alright? You seem quite... cheerful.”

“When am I not cheerful?” Pinkie asked, giggling.

“Well, for starters, when you spend three whole days cooped up in your room.” Twilight’s voice carried an edge of concern. “I mean, what’s happened between then and now?”

The earth pony filled her lungs with air. “Okay, Surprise came back to me and we apologised to one another and said we’d make up and then the Cakes went to Fillydelphia yesterday so I had Sugarcube Corner to myself so I invited Surprise over for a date and we had dinner together and then we kinda snuggled a lot all night and now I’m throwing a party this evening for her and you’re invited!”

Twilight blinked, stunned slightly by the verbal deluge. “I... see. Well, that’s good to hear. Much better than seeing you upset,” she admitted. “But you’re throwing a party for Surprise? Tonight?”

“Can’t you come?” A note of disappointment entered Pinkie’s voice, and her ears drooped slightly.

The unicorn shook her head. “No, no. Of course I can come! It’s just that... you’re throwing the party for Surprise. Is she okay with that?”

“Yeah!” Pinkie exclaimed. “She asked me to throw it!”

“Oh. Well, that’s alright, then,” Twilight said. “I guess it’ll be nice to meet her after I missed her the other day.”

Pinkie suddenly perked up. “Oooh! Did you find that book in the end? You seemed super worried when you thought you’d lost it!”

Twilight gave a slight sigh and smiled remorsefully. “Well, yes, I did. But in a way, I think I did the world a disservice by finding it again. It was so awful.”

“What?!” Pinkie took a step back, before sitting down on her haunches in shock. “You’ve never hated a book before!”

“This one was different,” Twilight said with a shrug. “Written by a pony who kept getting his facts wrong and changing the writing without going back to earlier chapters to edit. Genies always live in a bottle, but then he says they can also live in jars or oil lamps! Love spirits are parasites, but then, no, they’re entirely benign!” She let out a huff. “And they can only be seen by the pony they’re attracted to. Halfway through the book, that changes to the spirits being able to project themselves into the perception of others, if they’re sufficiently charged with love. Then, back to just the one pony. It read more like somepony’s rantings in their personal journal than actual hypotheses.”

“That sounds like a fun book!” Pinkie piped up. Twilight gave her a perplexed look, which prompted her to continue, “Well, most science-y books are all ‘No, this is the truth! You must think this!’ But this one keeps you on your hooves because you have to make your own mind up. I mean, remember that time you went crazy trying to figure out my Pinkie Sense? Or when you came back from the future? All because it didn’t match up with what you’d already read?”

Twilight opened her mouth, staying silent for a moment as she frowned. “I suppose you have a point,” she conceded. “Challenging previous conventions and being willing to discard your pre-conceived notions in the face of new evidence are the basis of scientific research. But a book should be consistent in arguing its point. After all the back-and-forthing, the conclusion simply stated the author thought all of these encounters with genies and such were simply imagined by those who had seen the ‘spirits’, rendering the whole volume pretty much pointless.” She let out a huff and gave an apologetic smile. “Sorry, Pinkie. You only came here to give me an invitation, and I’ve ended up ranting at you!”

Pinkie shrugged and smiled back. “It’s okay! You got it out of your system! But you’re able to come tonight?”

“Sure!” Twilight walked over and hugged her friend. “And I’m really glad this worked out for you, Pinkie. It’s so great to see you this happy.”

“Thanks! And you’ll be able to tell Surprise that tonight,” Pinkie replied. They broke the hug and nodded to one another. “She’s really excited to meet you guys, too!” She looked at the clock on the wall and gasped. Time really flew when she was having fun! “Sorry Twilight, but I gotta go! I still have to find and invite Dashie and Applejack and get back to Sugarcube Corner to meet Surprise.”

“That’s okay! You go and”—Twilight blinked at the cloud of dust she was now speaking to—“...do that.”


Pinkie scurried through Ponyville in search of her next two friends, eventually turning up outside the entrance to Sweet Apple Acres. She perked her ears up to listen for the sound of hooves meeting tree bark; presumably, Applejack would have to be around here somewhere. However, what she heard instead were two raised voices, apparently in argument. She crept closer to eavesdrop.

“...All Ah’m sayin’ is she seemed perfectly nice! Ah don’t know what you’ve got against this mare!” said Applejack.

“What, you mean other than the fact that she made Pinkie hide away for half a week?!” came the angry retort from Rainbow.

“And what caused that ta happen, huh? Didn’t ya say ya were the last pony Pinkie talked to before Surprise ran off?” Applejack said. By now, Pinkie had crept close enough to see them; AJ stood by an apple tree, Rainbow hovering in front of her. The two mares were scowling at one another, their necks craned so that their noses were almost touching.

“I just said I thought she was taking the relationship too fast!” Rainbow exclaimed. Her expression faltered slightly. “What, are you blaming me for what Surprise did?”

“Ah’m just sayin’ ya ain’t the greatest authority on relationships in Ponyville, Rainbow. And that ain’t yer fault, after all. It’s just after... y’know.” Applejack scuffed at the ground awkwardly.

Dash let out a lengthy sigh. “Well, thanks for bringing that up, AJ,” she said bitterly. “Look, Pinkie’s back with Surprise, and I don’t see what good it’ll do being nasty to her. Just... I dunno, keep an eye on her? Because if she breaks my friend’s heart again, she won’t be getting off lightly.” She smacked one forehoof into the other with a grimace.

Applejack smiled grimly. “Heh, ya won’t be alone there, sugarcube.” She raised her forehoof. “Sorry if ah got a bit too aggressive, Rainbow. Ah know we’re both only looking out for Pinkie.”

Rainbow bumped her forehoof against Applejack’s. “No hard feelings,” she said with a small smile.

With her friends’ argument apparently resolved, Pinkie decided to make herself known. “Hey, guys!” she exclaimed, bouncing into the clearing.

Applejack turned to her. “Well howdy, Pinkie! How did yer date go last night?”

Pinkie grinned. “Really, really great! We had dinner, and then Surprise stayed the night—”

“Uh...” Rainbow interjected, a blush rising on her cheeks.

“—and now we’re throwing a party tonight so you can all get to know her!” Pinkie finished.

Rainbow and Applejack glanced to one another, frozen grins on both their faces. After a pregnant pause, the farmer offered, “Well, ain’t that lovely?” The pegasus nudged her, but she ignored it. “Ah’d love ta meet Surprise. Properly, this time. Without scaring the livin’ daylights outta her,” she said with a nervous chuckle.

“Um... Pinkie, is this a good idea?” Rainbow asked. “Not about you and Surprise,” she added quickly, rubbing the back of her neck. “I mean about... well, us. I know there’s some baggage, and I probably gave you some pretty cruddy advice the other day.” She let out a sigh. “I’m supposed to be loyal, and instead I’ve basically been undermining you all week and been a terrible frien—oof!” She was cut off from her self-deprecation as Pinkie grabbed her out of the air and pulled her into a tight hug.

“You’ve been a great friend!” Pinkie reassured her. “It was me who was being all mopey-dopey and doing things wrong!” She released Rainbow from the embrace. “But everything’s better now, right? You and me, me and Surprise, you and Applej—” she clapped a hoof over her mouth. To her surprise, Dash grinned sheepishly and looked back at AJ.

“Don’t worry about overhearing us, Pinkie. We weren’t exactly being quiet,” Rainbow said. “And you’re right; everypony’s made up. I guess we could all do with a nice party to unwind.”

Applejack nodded, walking closer. “Rainbow’s got the long and short of it. We’ve all had a difficult few days, and Ah can’t think of a better way ta get to know Surprise properly than at one of your parties, Pinkie!”

“Awww, you guys...” Pinkie grabbed both of her friends in a group hug. “But it’s not till tonight, okay? And I’m gonna need to run to meet Surprise so we can set up the party! Is that okay? Sorry to have go so soon!”

“It’s fine, Pinkie,” Applejack replied, pulling back. “‘Sides, Ah’m sure Rainbow and Ah will be able to occupy ourselves.” She nudged Rainbow, who nodded and blushed slightly, before staring at the ground. “Y’all go on and enjoy yourself with Surprise.”

Pinkie nodded vigorously. “Okie dokie lokie! You guys have fun bucking trees, or clouds, or whatever!” She skipped away merrily from the scene, already formulating a plan for the party.


Pinkie sat on the floor of the party room, immobile. Normally, she would be a pink blur as she zoomed around with preparations, but Surprise hadn’t yet returned to Sugarcube Corner. The earth pony found herself at an impasse. She settled for simply planning out the decorations in her head, but even that was difficult. For all their sharing a cutie mark talent, Pinkie had no idea how her marefriend set up her own parties.

She scuffed a hoof at the floor, idly wondering what Surprise would do in here. Would she hang up the banners the way Pinkie did—across the back of the room—or would she prefer corner-to-corner? Would she have bunches of balloons matching her cutie mark? A bowl of punch? What about the cake? Maybe she preferred different party games... and music! You couldn’t forget the music!

Pinkie’s train of thought was rudely derailed by the sound of hoofsteps behind her. She turned her head to see Mrs. Cake, who had walked into the room with an apologetic look on her face.

“Oh, Pinkie!” Cup Cake said. “I thought you would’ve begun by now. I was wondering why you were so quiet! Are you alright?”

Pinkie smiled and nodded. “I’m just waiting for Surprise! I thought it’d be rude to start without her, so I was just planning out everything in my head.” She tapped her chin thoughtfully. “Y’know, I’ve never really met another pony who has throwing parties as part of their special talent before! I really don’t know whether Surprise will want to do things differently, and it’s her party, really.”

“That’s very thoughtful of you.” The older earth pony walked over and gave her charge a one-legged hug. “I’m so proud of you, Pinkie. I really think you’ve dealt with this situation maturely. Much more so than most ponies would, anyway.”

Pinkie giggled and blushed slightly. “Aww... um, thanks, Mrs. Cake! I guess it just came naturally. I mean, most of it was other ponies talking to me.

“Well, regardless, I th—” Mrs. Cake stopped as Pinkie suddenly hiccupped loudly, before her eyes crossed briefly and both ears flopped down. “Something the matter?”

“Just my Pinkie Sense!” the younger pony said. She rubbed her chin. “Hmm... hiccup, crossed eyes, ear flops. I think that means something unexpected is going to happen!” She felt a sudden pang of worry, her face falling slightly.

“Oh, don’t fret, Pinkie! You know better than anypony that could mean anything!” Cup Cake reassured her.

“Yeah... anything. L-like, Gummy falling in the punch bowl, or a bowl of petunias suddenly appearing! Heh.” Pinkie pulled herself out of the hug. “Um... I think Surprise might be getting here soon. I guess I’ll make a start, at least.” Her gaze fell to the ground.

“Then I’ll get myself out of your way,” Cup said, beginning to walk away. “And Pinkie?” The earth pony looked up at her. “Don’t worry. Everything will be just fine. I know it.”

“Y-yeah,” Pinkie said as Mrs. Cake left the room. Her shoulders tensed as she heard a glassy bonk bonk at the window. “J-just fine.”