• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 5,241 Views, 256 Comments

More Than She Could Dream Of - Melon Hunter



Pinkie finds herself heartbroken after another rejection. A chance meeting leads to a blossoming relationship, but is her new love life worth the friction it causes in her friendships?

  • ...
16
 256
 5,241

Lovers

More Than She Could Dream Of

Chapter 7

Lovers

The next day, Pinkie stood on the platform of the train station, bidding farewell to the Cake family, who were getting ready to board the train. “Bye, Mr. and Mrs. Cake! Bye Pound and Pumpkin! Have fun!” she said.

“Goodbye, Pinkie. Have fun with Surprise, now,” Mrs. Cake said, giving her a farewell hug. The twins gurgled happily, each one held in a foal carrier draped over Cup Cake’s back.

“We’ll be sure to bring you back a present,” Mr. Cake added. He looked up as the cry of ‘all aboard’ went up, and the family of four boarded the train car, waving to Pinkie as the locomotive whistled and moved off.

Once the Cakes were out of sight, Pinkie turned and bounced away, back into town toward the market. She pulled a list out of her saddlebag, frowning. She had been quickly talked out of her original plan for dinner by Mrs. Cake, who had gently informed her that while cupcakes and eclairs were delicious, they didn’t really constitute a proper meal, per se.

So, it was time to go shopping. Pinkie bought spices and pasta, having settled upon spaghetti and wheatballs for the main meal, with practically every sweet delicacy Sugarcube Corner could offer for dessert... well, desserts.

“Finally getting something healthy in you, eh?” the stall owner quipped, handing a bag of her tomatoes over to Pinkie in exchange for a couple of bits.

“Oh, no, I’m just cooking dinner for my marefriend!” Pinkie replied with a giggle. “I’m not making fruit and vegetables a habit!”

“A pony can live in hope...” the other mare said wistfully. “Well, have fun with your date, Pinkie. Do come back if you need any other healthy ingredients!”

“Will do!” Pinkie trotted away from the market stall and headed back to Sugarcube Corner. The bakery was eerily quiet with the lack of both customers and Cakes, but the kitchen was quickly filled with the clanging of cookware as she dragged out pots, pans, measuring scales and utensils. Once everything was in place, she brought over the great tome of a cookbook that Mrs. Cake had introduced to her the previous evening.

“Hmmm... Sunflower Toasties... Supernatural Souffles...” Pinkie muttered to herself, flicking through the list. “Spaghetti... ah!” She tapped a hoof on the page and narrowed her eyes in concentration. “Okay, doesn’t look too complicated...” She began humming to herself, tapping out a rhythm as she read. A song gradually came to her.

“This meal is going to be perfect,

The kind of meal that would make anypony drool,

I’ll be sure to season well,

Quality that you can tell,

And these wheatballs I will make will surely rule!” she sang, bouncing around the kitchen and gathering ingredients. A fumble with a bag of flour sent out a puff that turned her coat white, and Pinkie looked down at herself with a mischievous giggle. She altered her voice slightly in an imitation of Surprise.

This meal is absolutely perfect,

The kind of dish I never thought I would be served,

But never mind what’s on my plate,

As long as we’re out on a date,

Then I’ll give Pinkie all the love that she deserves!Pinkie struck a dramatic pose, then quickly scrubbed off the flour and returned to her own voice.

“I will be sure to cook it perfect,

Make her wowed with my prowess,

Then, it’ll be a great success,

So special I’ll make her feel,

And our rifts will surely heal,

Then we’ll be truly special someponies!

For I so adore Surprise,

There’s no equal in my eyes,

And I cannot wait for tonight’s date!” She laughed, dunking her hooves in the flour and dousing herself in the powder once more.

“I should get there before it’s too late,

Maybe dress up to the nines,

She, sends a shiver down my spine,

I don’t want any more heartbreak,

I’ll be good for Pinkie’s sake,

And then we can be happy once again!

Yes, I want to be with her,

And go back to what we were,

Oh Pinkie Pie, I’ll be seeing you tonight!” With a giggle, Pinkie wiped off half the flour, leaving her half-pink, half-white. She began to stride around the kitchen.

“Finally the future’s looking bright,

And this will be one awesome night!” She transitioned back to the Surprise imitaiton.

“I’ll be together once more,

With the pony I adore,

And our date will be—”

“Absolutely perfect!” Pinkie yelled. She looked around at the scattered flour and the hoofprints left in it and burst out laughing. “Yeah, it’ll be perfect...”


Two hours later, Pinkie sat in the centre of a disaster zone, flour strewn about her, innumerable failed iterations of wheatballs on the counter in front of her. “It’s just special dough!” she wailed to herself. “How can this be so difficult?!” She prodded the latest batch of wheatballs, which were dense enough to serve better as slingshot ammunition than food. “Great,” she muttered, looking up at the clock. Three hours until Surprise was supposed to arrive.

She measured out a new set of ingredients, making sure to meticulously measure each morsel as it went in the bowl. Pinkie seized up the bowl and mixed vigorously, producing a new batch of dough. Now then... if it had been made just right, the mixture would be light and fluffy, and stick to the bottom of the bowl, just like meringue. The best way to test that was to tip it upside down...

Pinkie tipped the bowl over her head and the dough fell straight onto her mane with a gentle splort. She clenched her eyes shut and let out an irritated growl, wiping the failed batch from her brow. “Why does this keep happening?” she asked herself. “I can always make a recipe work! Even if it doesn’t make any sense!” She let out a sigh. Maybe it was just nerves; her best baking had always come when she was completely at ease, after all. Now that she was on edge, nothing seemed to be going right.

There was a knock at the door, causing her head to shoot round. Who could that be? Surely not Surprise? Pinkie trotted out from the kitchen to the front door and opened it to reveal Applejack.

“Well, howdy, Pinkie!” Applejack said.

“Oh! Um, hey, Applejack!” Pinkie replied. “What’re you doing here?”

“Ah heard the bakery was closed today, and that Mr. ‘n’ Mrs. Cake were away,” AJ explained. “Ah was passin’ by on mah way back from the market and figured you might want some company for a bit.”

Pinkie smiled. “Of course! C’mon in! I’ve got a few hours to fill until Surprise gets here!”

Applejack laughed and walked into the bakery. “Thank ya, kindly, Pinkie. Ah promise Ah won’t get in yer mane if yer busy gettin’ ready fer Surprise—” Her grin suddenly froze. “Wait, what?”

Pinkie blinked and cocked her head, smiling. “What?”

“Uh... Ah think Ah musta misheard ya, sugarcube,” AJ said, still with a frozen grin. “Ah heard ya say Surprise...? No offense, Pinkie, but last I heard, that mare had you holed up in your room fer three days, and Ah never got to meet the varmint.” A frown appeared on her face. “You need me to give her a piece a’ mah mind?”

Pinkie shook her head. “Oh, no, Applejack, it’s not like that! We had a fight and we broke up, but she came back yesterday and said sorry.” She rubbed the back of her head. “So, she’s coming ‘round for dinner tonight. We made up and we wanna give this another go. I think we’re both amateurs at the whole lovey-dovey thing,” she said with an awkward grin.

Applejack let out a faint snort, her mouth twisting. “You sure this mare’s not messin’ ya about, Pinkie? First ya show up t’ the farm all excited—least, from what Big Macintosh tells me—next, yer locked up in yer room and she’s left ya.” She scratched the side of her head. “And now yer back together with her?”

“Yeah.” Pinkie gave Applejack an even look and nodded. “Surprise came to my window and talked to me. We both said what we thought had gone wrong and that we’d try another date. I don’t hate her, Applejack! I want to be her special somepony!” She raised an eyebrow. “Besides, isn’t that what friends do, too? Make up after a fight?”

“That’s... true, Ah suppose.” Applejack shook her head and smiled slightly. “Well, if yer happy enough with her after making up and Ah haven’t even met this Surprise, then who am Ah to tell you what to do?”

Pinkie giggled and gave Applejack a brief hug. “Thanks, AJ! Don’t worry; I’m sure you two will get to meet soon.”

Once they had released one another, Applejack gave a quizzical look at Pinkie’s mane. “Ya seem to’ve got yerself in a terrible mess, Pinkie. What exactly are ya making for dinner?”

“Oh! I just picked out a recipe that sounded nice, but it’s trickier than I thought it’d be,” Pinkie replied. “It’s spaghetti and wheatballs.”

“Good choice!” Applejack exclaimed. “Ah got quite a taste fer those when Ah was a filly in Manehatten. Ah brought a copy o’ the recipe back with me. Still make ‘em now and again. You findin’ them a bit of a hoofful?”

Pinkie nodded remorsefully. “I just don’t get it! I can bake practically anything without even looking at the recipe, but I just can’t get the wheatball dough right!”

Applejack grinned. “Well, if ya don’t mind me intrudin’, perhaps Ah can offer mah expertise?” Pinkie cocked her head, and she continued, “These wheatballs are mighty hard to get right fer a beginner.”

“Beginner? Beginner?!” Pinkie exclaimed. “I’ve been baking half my life, Applejack!”

The farmmare chuckled. “Maybe, Pinkie, but Manehattenites are known fer their lil’ tricks in the kitchen. Ah’ll bet that recipe doesn’t have half the details ya need to get ‘em just right.” She rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “How about Ah show ya and you make the tomato sauce? Maybe y’all can fill me on you and Surprise in the meantime.”

Pinkie nodded happily. “Okie dokie lokie! C’mon in the kitchen and grab an apron. Let’s get started!”


A couple of hours later, Applejack and Pinkie sat back in satisfaction, passing an upside-down bowl between them, both grinning at the dough suspended within.

Applejack exhaled a relieved breath. “We finally did it!” she said, putting the bowl down on the counter. “If Ah didn’t know better, Pinkie, Ah’d say you must’ve had Poison Joke workin’ its wiles on ya. Still, that recipe book really didn’t help.” She glared at the tome sitting on the sideboard. “Nothin’ like the Manehattenite way.”

“But we got it right in the end!” Pinkie said happily. She bounced over to the stove, where a pan full of rich, red sauce simmered away. “And this sauce looks super-duper delicious!”

“Eh, heh... yeah. Just gotta cook the pasta and you’re all done.” Applejack nudged the side of her hat, looking as though she was mulling something over. “Pinkie, you sure yer gonna be okay tonight?”

Pinkie turned her head back from the saucepan, a wooden spoon in the crook of her forehoof. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Well, y’know, after all that’s gone on in the past week...” Applejack’s mouth twisted. “You were holed up in yer room for three days, Pinkie! You weren’t even that bad that time you thought we’d all stopped being yer friends!” Her face contorted in concern. “Ya spooked us somethin’ fierce, Pinkie, and Ah’m just worried this mare’s got a few too many puppet strings on ya.”

“But I told you, we made up! You were okay with that.” Pinkie said with a frown. “And I’m not a puppet, silly!”

“Ah know, sugarcube. Ah just worry that this is gonna keep happenin’: Surprise hurtin’ you, runnin’ off, then coming back just after ya got over her,” Applejack said quietly, looking at Pinkie. “And you bein’ mah friend, Pinkie, it hurts me to see you hurt.”

Pinkie sighed, putting down the spoon. “So, what? I just say ‘Oh, sorry Surprise, I know we made up and everything, but I’m scared you might hurt me again, so let’s just break up now’?” Her gaze raked the floor, before meeting Applejack’s again. “Look, I know that things might go bad again. Rarity already told me that. But... I’ve wanted a special somepony for so long, it’s silly for me to run away the first time I fall out with Surprise!”

“Yeah... that’s true,” Applejack said, pursing her lips. “But, just ‘cause she says ‘sorry’ and asks fer a second chance, doesn’t mean yer obligated to give it. It’s just... Ah dunno. Relationships are all about learning, sure. But Ah don’t want to see ya suffer unduly, Pinkie. Not for any pony.”

“I know you don’t, Applejack, but...” Pinkie said slowly. “I think Surprise was just as lonely as I was, and I think she doesn’t know anything more about having a special somepony than I do. I mean, it was pretty silly of me to ask her out just after Dashie turned me down.” She sat down and spread her forelegs. “It’s not all her fault. And that’s what we talked about yesterday. How we hurt each other, and how we wanted to make up. And I trust her not to hurt me like that again.”

There was silence for a moment, before Applejack let out a low whistle. “Wow, you’re serious, ain’tcha?” Pinkie nodded. “Well, what else can Ah say? You sound like ya’ve thought this through and... Ah guess that’s good enough fer me.” She let out a quiet oof as Pinkie hugged her tightly.

“Thanks, Applejack. I know I’ve been all kinds of crazy this week. And I’m sorry for scaring you all,” Pinkie said. “Can you forgive me?”

“Sure Ah forgive ya!” Applejack said happily. “Just as long as yer doin’ okay, Ah’m happy, Pinkie.” She held the hug, before separating from her friend. She glanced up at the clock. “So, when’s Surprise turnin’ up?”

“Oh! Um... about a quarter of an hour,” Pinkie said, looking up at the clock also, before turning back to the pots on the stove. “Guess I should get the table set soon! And the front room! Ooh! And the desserts!”

“You need any more help, sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

“Nope! Don’t worry; the desserts will be done in a flash,” Pinkie said happily.

“Well, in that case, Pinkie, Ah guess Ah should be gettin’ back to the farm. You have a great dinner, now.” Applejack turned to leave.

“Will do!” Pinkie said.

“Oh, and Pinkie?” Applejack turned back and winked. “Tell me how it goes, okay? Maybe we can all meet Surprise at some point after all.”

“Okie dokie!” Pinkie’s eyes went wide. “Oh, Applejack! One last thing! Do you think I should dress up all fancy-pants? I mean, is that what most ponies do?”

“Shucks, Pinkie, you’d be better off askin’ Rares,” Applejack said with an awkward grin. She shrugged. “Y’know what? Why not? Ah’m sure Surprise would appreciate you lookin’ pretty.”

“Yeah... yeah!” Pinkie nodded vigorously. “I’ll do that! Thanks for all your help, AJ!”

“Anytime, Pinkie.” Applejack walked over and opened the door. As she did, a shocked squeak came from the other side of the portal. Pinkie craned her head to see what was going on.

At the door in a prim, eggshell-blue dress, was Surprise. Her purple eyes were wide, flickering back and forth between the two earth ponies. She took a step back, leaning away from the entrance and raising her wings slightly. “Uh... h-hey,” she stammered.

“Oh, Surprise! You’re early!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Y-yeah, I was just passing through and th-thought I might as well come over...” Surprise stared at Applejack, shrinking back. “I thought you were gonna be alone?”

Pinkie smiled. “Well, Applejack was passing through, too!” She gasped suddenly. “Wait! You never got to meet her, did you? This is Applejack!”

Applejack’s smile froze, and she fixed Surprise with an intense stare. After a lengthy pause, AJ spoke up. “Well, howdy. So you’re the pony Ah’ve heard so much about, huh?” She waved a friendly hoof to the pegasus, who stared at it and shied away as though it were a poisonous snake.

“Uh, you can—I mean, you’re... Um, h-hi.” Surprise bit her lip, her gaze grazing the ground.

“Something the matter, sugarcube?” Applejack asked with a frown, withdrawing her hoof.

“Yeah! C’mon, Surprise, Applejack doesn’t bite!” Pinkie giggled. “Don’t be shy!”

Surprise merely pursed her lips, eyes flickering back up to Applejack.

Applejack cleared her throat awkwardly. “Well, Ah guess Ah should leave y’all to it, Pinkie.” By this point, the pegasus had almost vanished from the doorway.

“S-sorry... you just caught me by surprise.” Surprise paused, grinning sheepishly. “Pardon the pun.”

Pinkie smiled at the explanation. “Heh, sorry if Applejack scared you, Surprise. She’s a nice pony, really! Aren’t you, Applejack?”

The other earth pony rubbed the back of her head. “Well, that’s awful kind of ya to say, Pinkie. And Ah’m sure the special somepony of a friend is a friend of mine, too.” She narrowed her eyes slightly. “That is, if there ain’t any shenanigans goin’ on to upset ya.” Surprise shrank back again at the assertion. “Now, Ah really should get goin’ back to the farm and leave ya to it, Pinkie. Sorry to keep ya.”

Pinkie shook her head. “It’s okay, Applejack! Come by anytime!” The farmmare nodded to her and walked out the door.

Surprise stared after the departing pony for a moment, before crossing the threshold and giving Pinkie a hug.

“Well hey, you!” Pinkie said, hugging Surprise back and nuzzling her.

“Hey.” Surprise seemed to melt into Pinkie’s hooves, closing her eyes momentarily and letting out a deep sigh. Her wings stretched out slightly, and she smiled at Pinkie.

“Something the matter?” Pinkie asked. “You looked really nervous just then!”

“Heh heh...” Surprise rubbed the back of her neck. “Yeah, I wasn’t expecting anypony else at the door. Sorry if I kinda shut down when she was talking. I’ve not been all that social since leaving Cloudsdale, and after what happened the other day, well... you know. I thought she might be really mad at me.”

“No no no! It’s fine! I totally understand. But you really don’t need to worry, Surprise. I’ve talked it out with her; Applejack’s fine about us dating!” Pinkie reassured her.

“Unless I’ve got any shenanigans goin’ on to upset ya’!” Surprise said with a grin, her voice slipping into a halfway-decent impression of Applejack’s accent. “Anyway, tonight’s all about you and me,” she continued, leaning forward and nuzzling Pinkie.

“Yeah! Of course it is.” Pinkie looked over Surprise’s dress, before her eyes went wide. “Ohmigosh! I should dress up too!”

“Really, Pinkie, it’s no big”—Pinkie vanished in a puff of dust—“deal.” Surprise rolled her eyes as her marefriend rushed upstairs, making a racket enough to wake the dead. After a moment, the earth pony bounced downstairs in a luxuriant pink dress, shoes and a candy-striped saddle, all detailed with sweet-shaped ornaments. She quickly adjusted the little blue hat as Surprise’s jaw fell open.

“So, uh, good enough?” Pinkie asked.

Surprise shook her head to break her stupour. “Where in Equestria did you get a get-up like that?!”

“Oh! Rarity made it for me when we went to the Grand Galloping Gala a couple of years ago. She repaired it for me afterwards. It was pretty much a toss-up between this and the one I wore at the Royal Wedding...” Pinkie said matter-of-factly.

“As you do,” Surprise deadpanned. “You really are the most amazing pony I’ve ever met. You know that, right?” She stepped forward and planted a kiss on Pinkie’s nose before the earth pony could respond. “So, I guess we’re dressed up enough for dinner now.”

“Dinner? Oh yeah...” Pinkie looked behind her to the still-bare table. “I’m sorry, Surprise! I got so caught up talking to Applejack, I didn’t get the chance to prepare everything!”

Surprise giggled. “It’s fine, Pinkie! Honestly, I would have gotten a bit weirded out if you’d done everything for me. It’s a date, not a restaurant! Tell you what—you sort the food out, I’ll do the table.”

“Okie dokie lokie! Hope you like wheatballs!” Pinkie said, bouncing away to the kitchen.

“I do! I’ll be looking forward to it!” Surprise called.


Having cooked up the pasta and finished off the wheatballs, Pinkie carried the entire meal in a huge bowl upon her back. The proximity of the tomato sauce to the dress would probably have given Rarity a heart attack had she seen it, but Pinkie had figured what she didn’t see couldn’t harm her.

Pinkie’s eyes went wide as she exited the kitchen. The curtains in the dining room had been drawn, the chamber softly lit by several candles placed on the table, with a rose in a small vase in the centre. Forks and spoons had been laid out, and Surprise sat in a chair facing her, a half-lidded smile on her face. “I’ve been expecting you, Miss Pie,” she said in a seductive drawl, resting her head on a white forehoof.

“Oh, have you now?” Pinkie replied, aping Surprise’s expression and tone.

The pegasus’s eyes suddenly went wide as the bowl began to slip from Pinkie’s back. “Pinkie, watch out!” she cried. She went silent as Pinkie stuck her hindleg out and caught the crockery, hoofing it up onto the table. It rocked from side to side on its edge until finally coming to rest. There was an awkward pause, until Surprise said, “Okay then.”

Pinkie slid into her seat, smiling across the table at her marefriend. “C’mon, then! Dig in!” she said, gesturing to the mound of steaming pasta. Surprise gathered up her cutlery, only to back off slightly in disgust as Pinkie faceplanted the wheatballs, chewing loudly and sending flecks of tomato sauce everywhere. After a moment, the earth pony slowed down and leaned back from the pasta. She met Surprise’s horrified gaze, quickly wiping her mouth with a napkin.

“Pffff—hahahaha!” Surprise bit down on her forehoof in a futile attempt to halt her gales of laughter. “Okay, okay... whew...” She wiped away a tear of mirth. “Yeah, we’ve definitely lost all pretence now.”

“I’m sorry! I was really hungry and forgot mys—” Pinkie was stopped by a wave of Surprise’s forehoof.

“Honestly, Pinkie, eat how you want. You don’t need to impress me.” She looked down at herself. “Although, maybe watch the sauce. Stains are awful to get out of a white coat, let me tell you. Let alone this dress.”

Pinkie nodded, picking up her own fork and spoon. The pair smiled at one another and began their meal in earnest, taking turns to scoop up mouthfuls. As Surprise speared a wheatball with her fork, the earth pony piped up, “This is just like one of the books Rarity reads! It’s like someone’s reading us right now!”

Surprise raised her eyebrows as she chewed and swallowed. “Oh? Is somepony a fan of trashy romance novels?” she asked playfully, resting her head on a hoof.

“Nn mph!” Pinkie tried to say through a huge mouthful of spaghetti. “I mean, nuh uh! Rarity gave me one once and it was so boring! All about ‘stolen kisses’ and ‘oooh, forbidden love!’ and stuff! I prefer exciting stuff; explorers and pirates and things like that!”

“Sky pirates?” Surprise asked excitedly.

“No, just regular ones.”

“Aww. Too bad.” They carried on eating for a while, smiling and blushing each time they looked into one another’s eyes. Eventually, they emptied the bowl down to the last few morsels. Pinkie noticed that an especially long piece of spaghetti she was slurping into her mouth was the same strand that Surprise had just picked up. Evidently, the pegasus had picked up on it too, as she had started sucking it in as well.

Pinkie’s eyes went wide as their faces came closer. If they kept this up, they’d bump noses! She bit down on the spaghetti. Suddenly deprived of the tension pulling them together, Surprise fell back with a surprised squeak, nearly falling backward off her chair. She barely missed the floor and returned to a sitting position with a few desperate flaps of her wings, panting in shock. “Pinkie! What did you do that for?!” she asked indignantly.

“We were about to push our mouths together! That’s really icky!” Pinkie protested.

Surprise’s wings slumped down slightly. “You think that’s icky?” she said in a slightly disappointed tone.

“It is when there’s pasta in there, too!”

“Oh.” Surprise looked down at the bowl and sighed theatrically. “Well, we’re fresh out of pasta, it seems...”

Pinkie hopped up from her chair. “Don’t worry, I’ve got just the dessert for us!” She was stopped halfway to the door by a pair of forelegs wrapping around her shoulders. Her head turned to see Surprise hovering behind her.

“Actually, I think dessert can wait,” Surprise murmured. She landed behind Pinkie and the earth pony turned around to face her fully. “Oh, and Pinkie?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you tell me if this is icky?” Pinkie didn’t have a chance to reply as Surprise leaned in and kissed her fully on the lips. To the earth pony’s bewilderment, rather than pulling away after a few seconds as she had done before, her marefriend instead closed her eyes and wrapped her forelegs around Pinkie’s neck, pulling her closer.

The earth pony let out a muffled squeak as Surprise gently pushed her tongue into Pinkie’s mouth, crooning faintly. Unsure of what else to do, Pinkie reciprocated, embracing the pegasus and kissing her back. Pinkie’s affections were rewarded as Surprise let out a murr, spreading her wings. A sensation like Pinkie had never felt flowed through her body—something weird and hot and tingly, like being in the middle of a vibrant party and alone with Surprise all at the same time, but much, much stronger.

Just as it threatened to overwhelm Pinkie, Surprise broke the kiss, pulling back with a grin before nuzzling the earth pony. “So, how did you find that?” she asked quietly, her purple eyes flashing with mirth.

“It was good!” Pinkie exclaimed. “But I’ve never done that with another pony before! Is it normal? I’ve never heard of kissing like this! Can y—” She was cut off as Surprise kissed her again, pressing against her and pushing her to the floor. Pinkie’s forehooves wandered down her marefriend’s back until they rubbed the area between her wings. The pegasus arched her back and let out a faint moan.

Surprise’s eyes flckered open momentarily. “Don’t stop,” she murmured. Pinkie obliged, continuing to massage the spot of her marefriend’s back. After a few minutes, though, the earth pony began to shift uncomfortably. While kissing felt amazing, the floor was really hard and her back was starting to hurt.

“Um, Surprise?”

“Mmmm?” Surprise pulled herself to standing over Pinkie, gazing down at her and licking her lips.

“Did—did you want dessert, or did you really want to skip it?” Pinkie asked. “‘Cause, y’know, I’d really like to keep doing this.”

Surprise beamed at her. “I’d much rather keep doing this, too.” She cocked her head slightly. “Although, let’s go somewhere more comfortable. Your back must be killing you.” She reached out with a forehoof and pulled Pinkie to her hooves.

“Sure! I... I mean, dessert, heh, um... you wanna, uh...” Pinkie shut up as she realised her brain was only supplying her mouth with a stream of gibberish.

Fortunately, Surprise had managed to retain her coherency, giving her a sultry, half-lidded smile. “How about your bed? That seemed soft enough.” Pinkie nodded dumbly. “C’mon, then.” The pegasus hovered in front of her and led her upstairs by the hoof.

Surprise frowned as they reached the upper landing. “Oh, hang on. Which door is your bedroom?”

“It’s this one!” Pinkie said, pushing open the relevant door. The two ponies looked at one another as they walked into the room, giggled and leapt onto the bed together, cuddling and kissing.

As Pinkie felt wings wrapping around her and saw purple eyes blazing with affection gazing down at her, she knew that there was nowhere else she would rather be than with this wonderful mare, who had been more than she could have ever dreamt of.


Later, much later, so late it was probably early again, Pinkie snuggled up against Surprise beneath the covers. The dresses were long since discarded on the floor; nopony wanted creases in their clothes, after all. The earth pony sighed in contentment, burying her face in the poofy blonde mane beneath her.

“Oh, Pinkie...” Surprise murmured.

“Yeah...”

A giggle came from below. “I guess we’re a bit beyond words, huh?”

“Well, there’s one thing...” Purple eyes looked up at her expectantly. Pinkie felt nervousness burn within her. She didn’t want to drive Surprise away now, after all that had happened that night, but Rarity had said there were no hard rules, right? “Surprise... I...”

“Yeah?”

“I... I love you.” Pinkie bit her lip as soon as the words had left her mouth. There was asking somepony out and then there was that. What if she’d scared Surprise off? Then suddenly, all of her insecurity died away as she felt the pegasus’s embrace tighten, what sounded like a half-choked sob coming from beneath her.

“Y-you do? Oh, Pinkie... I love you too.” Surprise suddenly blinked, as though she’d just realised what she’d said. “I love you too!”

They hugged tighter, tears of happiness flowing from their eyes. “I never thought I’d find somepony like you,” Pinkie murmured.

“M-me neither,” Surprise admitted. She pulled back, eyes still brimming with tears. “Pinkie, I want this to last. I want to meet your friends. I want to do everything with you, come what may.”

A jolt ran through Pinkie. “My friends? Everything? You... you really mean that?!”

Surprise nodded vehemently. “Yes, Pinkie. You’ve had more than enough of my selfishness; it’s time for me to give something back to you. I want to make you happy.”

“Me too!” Pinkie said excitedly. “We can throw a party! A proper one, with balloons and games and cakes an—” She was cut off by an unexpectedly huge yawn.

Surprise giggled. “And we can start tomorrow morning,” she said in amusement, snuggling up against Pinkie’s chest once more. “Goodnight, Pinkie.”

“Goodnight, Surprise.”