• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 9,041 Views, 800 Comments

The Lion and the Lamb - CrazyChickenLady



After following a baby griffon into a dangerous situation, Fluttershy finds herself rescued by a kind-hearted dragon and ends up befriending him.

  • ...
36
 800
 9,041

PreviousChapters
Chapter Fifty-Nine: The Interruption

Chapter Fifty-Nine: The Interruption

Fluttershy, for her part, didn’t even pay any attention to Angel at all, or turn to face the bathroom. Gliding downstairs and over towards the couch where the Catalina macaw was perched, still scarlet red in the face, she focused on his injury and cleaned and bandaged his wing with the utmost care.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized to the avian as she finished. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to forget about you. I got distracted.”

It took several minutes for Smokey to work up the courage to leave the bathroom after drying himself off. Accosting the mare, he dropped his eyes to the sticky floor and folded his hands in front of him, his stomach flopping around in his abdomen.

“M-Miss Fluttershy…?” he spoke, forcing himself to meet her eyes. “A… about what… h-happened back there…? I’m sorry… I d-don’t know what came over me.”

Fluttershy sat there on the floor upon her haunches, staring at Smokey… Or rather, through him, as if he wasn’t there.

“It’s… all right,” she said, after what felt like minutes. “I don’t know what I was thinking, either.”

The mare rose to her hooves.

“I’m going to start cleaning up. Or, I might join Chenoa in taking a nap. I’m feeling a little light-headed.”

“If you’re feeling light-headed, you should lay down,” said Smokey, glad that she had accepted his apology.

“I think I will do just that,” Fluttershy said, cantering towards the staircase. Truth be told, she was not actually tired at all, but she was still startled from the ordeal and wished to think in relative peace.

“A nap does sound good…” Smokey mumbled to himself as he watched the mare climb the stairs. Once she was out of sight, he promptly curled up on the couch, mindful of the macaw perched upon the back support. He didn’t fall asleep right away, his mind swimming with thoughts on what took place in the bathroom. The passion and desire he felt… Where did it come from? Why did he feel it?

His mind drifted back to the stormy night when he, Fluttershy, and Chenoa spent the night on this very couch. Back then, he wondered if he was beginning to acquire feelings for the yellow equine. Though he and Fluttershy were scheduled to go on an actual date on the coming Saturday, he couldn’t help but feel excited. Was it intended for the both of them to just spend time together alone, or was it the first stepping stone in pursuing a deeper relationship?

As an elapse of thirty or so minutes passed by, the red-scaled draconian nodded off.

Once Fluttershy entered her room and climbed onto her bed, she glanced over at the crib. Smiling at the sleeping form of the chick through the wooden bars, the pegasus laid back.

Eyes fixated on the ceiling, she had allowed her mind to wander as well. She had not only felt comfortable, but safe, in the arms of her dragon friend. A sense of her that felt where the two of them belonged, with each other. Even now, in the cool, soft contours of her sheets, she missed being in his arms and her heart yearned to go back downstairs to snuggle with him some more.

Still, as she pondered, she realized she had never, ever felt for somebody this strongly before, and wondered where exactly these feelings came from. Was it perhaps that it was because he was -- despite his fierce and intimidating appearance -- a very loving, very kind, and gentle soul? Or, was it because that, had it not been for him, she hand Chenoa would have likely met a cold, watery end?

He didn’t just save her. He very well could have rescued them and brought them to safety and been on his way, but he had even seen to it that he nursed her back to complete health -- putting himself at risk not once, but twice, to make sure the two of them were safe and well taken care of. That werewolf from the Everfree Forest… Smokey could have very easily been injured to a greater extent or worse had he not been able to satiate its own hunger.

And then her friends had come barging in, intent on pulling off a rescue mission. Had she been unconscious, or otherwise unable to stop them, who knew what could have happened?

Even so, once those threats passed, Smokey remained a friend, still not only been in contact, but was willing to spend time with her and be a father figure to Chenoa on the ever increasing chance her parents were no more, or if she had been abandoned.

Then there was the nigh-disastrous first “date”, which her friends had been pressing to make certain their night went perfectly, even if it hadn’t quite worked out that way. Which, incidentally, she recalled, was the very reason the Catalina macaw downstairs started harassing Rainbow Dash in the first place.

On the night during the blackout, she didn’t believe she felt anything more than affection for Smokey, but now she knew what she was feeling was far more than just simple affection. It was definitely different than what she felt for any of her friends, but was it…?

No. Yes. Maybe. She felt torn, but all she knew was that Smokey’s hands caressing her body felt nothing short of incredible, and had Angel not stopped them, she would have eagerly met and returned his kiss. She had half a mind to admonish the rabbit, a bubble of irritation she hadn’t felt in a while slowly began to rise in her breast.

Taking a deep breath, letting her anger dissipate, she rolled over and told herself it did not matter. She was still running off of a twinge of excitement from the incident. A shred that only reignited into a potential worry as she realized they still had a date that Saturday.

Her eyes closing, her face flushed as she thought of the possibilities. Try as she might, she was not able to sleep for those few hours before her friends were due to arrive to help clean up.

***

Smokey, clad in his pony costume sans the head, was making his final preparations for his second magic show behind the stage’s curtain. Though his friends had encouraged him, he was still nervous over how the show would turn out. A couple of his doves were missing, but that was only because they were nesting.

Taking in a deep breath to calm himself, he turned to the equines and baby dragon gathered before him.

“I hope this goes better than last time.”

“It will,” Fluttershy assured encouragingly, holding Chenoa close as she turned her head slightly and gave him a wink. After that incident in the bathroom, the mare found herself becoming a bit more open towards Smokey, sending him winks, touching his hand, and nuzzling him a little more the following morning. Though she hadn’t been entirely FORWARD, she was still noticeably less shy and reserved around him.

The others nodded, too. Twilight Sparkle had, as she mentioned, wrote to her friend -- however, said friend was currently in Las Pegasus putting on a show during her tour and would not be able to swing by to see Smokey. She did express encouragement in her letter from one magician to another (and that though there existed a statement that claimed he would likely never be as amazing as she was, anyway, and if time had permitted she would have been honored to take on an apprentice), a sentiment that actually slightly surprised the alicorn as she knew her friend would have been far more stuck up and full of herself in the past.

The letter had asked why Twilight Sparkle bothered to contact her as opposed to teaching Smokey herself or even offered assistance on illusions, sleight-of-hoof and other stage tricks from what books her library had -- though, she gloated perhaps she was greater and more powerful Twilight Sparkle gave her credit for. Twilight Sparkle shook her head upon reminiscing the letter, considering she had indeed done that just before the reply had even arrived.

“I’m sorry Trixie won’t be able to come off her tour to help you out,” Twilight Sparkle said. “I really would have done more if I knew more about stage magic. I feel her expertise really would’ve helped you out on this, but I’m sure you’ll be all right.”

“That’s unfortunate, but I suppose it cannot be helped.” Smokey was disappointed that he wouldn’t be receiving any pointers from the princess’ friend, but he couldn’t be upset for long. As long as his friends believed in him, he saw no reason why he shouldn’t go on. “I appreciate the support from all of you.”

“Knock ‘em dead, darling,” Rarity said with a wide grin.

Gasping softly, Fluttershy whipped her head to the alabaster unicorn in shock.

“Rarity! How could you suggest such a thing?”

The fashionista rolled her eyes.

Fluttershy, it’s just a stage expression! I don’t really mean for Smokey to harm the crowd, I’m just wishing him good luck!”

“Thank you for… the sentiment, Miss Rarity,” he thanked before turning to Spike. “How much time do I have left?”

“I’d say you got about six minutes,” the baby dragon replied. “But, I’d probably go ahead and take your time. There really aren’t many more ponies out there than last time.”

“I’m so nervous. What if I mess up just like last time?” the red reptilian whimpered, his hands shaking slightly.

Extending her wings and pushing off the wooden floorboards, Rainbow Dash flew right up to Smokey and belted him across the face with her hoof, but she didn’t put in enough strength to leave a mark.

“Come on, Smokey! Ya gotta get in the game! Get out there and show ‘em what you can do! We’ll be in the crowd rootin’ for ya!”

“Yeah!” Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, and Spike agreed in unison. Fluttershy, however, was completely quiet. Digging her hoof into the wooden floor with one of her hind hooves, she then spread her wings to flutter up to Smokey’s eye level.

“Well, um, you know all I’ve really said. I don’t think I can really say anything else. But… um…”

She suddenly leaned in to plant a kiss on his cheek, which she held for a moment, going red in the face.

“Good luck,” she squeaked, before flying off with Chenoa in her forelegs.

That single kiss charged up the dragon with positive energy, the corners of his mouth stretching in a wide grin as his cheeks flushed.

“Th… thank y… you.”

As Fluttershy had already flown off and seated herself in the audience, she did not hear his words. Twilight Sparkle giggled, sharing a knowing glance with Rarity.

“I think our shy friend is beginning to develop a crush for Smokey here,” Rarity whispered to her fellow mares as they left to take their seats, her voice undetected by both dragons. “Much as she denies it.”

Smokey snapped back to reality and pulled on his mask once Spike informed him that it was time for him to go on. Casting his eyes briefly at his animals, he pushed the curtain aside and mentally prepared himself to meet his crowd.

Taking another deep breath, he raised one of his hands to perform his first trick when his attention was diverted to a team of large oxen pulling what appeared to be an engineless train -- only instead of traveling on tracks, the wheels were replaced with tractor tires to enable all-terrain travel.

Confused and concerned over the dragon in disguise’s hesitance and distraction, the fellowship followed his line of vision to see the all-terrain locomotive pull up in the middle of the town square. As Fluttershy and her friends exchanged expressions of befuddlement, the few guests outside of Smokey’s friends immediately got up to investigate this new phenomenon, the magic show completely forgotten.

Pinkie Pie herself bounced over to check it out, leaving the others behind with Smokey and Spike. Fluttershy, giving the older dragon a small frown, turned to the rest of her pony friends.

“Looks like the show’s cancelled… Or, at least, temporarily suspended,” Twilight Sparkle sighed, unfurling her wings to fly up and over the heads of the equines crowding around the vehicle, and assumed her position of authority as the regal princess she was.

The scarlet colored and gold trimmed train was long, the first half of the total amount of cars being cages holding rare colored animals such as a white lion, a pair of black tigers -- a mother and cub -- , a golden tiger, a red leopard, a pink-hued leopard, a sepia panda, and several albino creatures. The rest of the train consisted of boxcars where equipment and inventory was held, and carriages where workers resided.

Smokey could hardly believe it! This train had come along and interrupted his show before it even started. He wasn’t sure whether to be grateful or angry.

Author's Note:

I know I said last time that was enough chapters for a while, but... um... RAWR! <3

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 9 )

hmm why do I have a feeling this circus is holding animals against their will. Maybe they are even holding a sapient creature against its will. Ugh I've just read to many stories about circus's being a cruel and mean place. Anyway if they are holding anything against their will Fluttershy will soon sort that out with the help of Smokey and her friends.

4924371 If they are evil, I'm sure the ringmaster would be happy to add a dragon (or two) to his menagerie. :twilightoops:

come ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn they were so close last chapter :applecry:
but I am interested to see what kind of development is in store for this circus troupe and if they have the bad habit of animal abuse
FLUTTERRAGE WILL CONSUME THE SOULS OF THE GUILTY:flutterrage:

4928640 My first word was pickle. :3

4926254
They will learn the true meaning of fear.

Still, as she pondered, she realized she had never, ever felt for somebody this strongly before, and wondered where exactly these feelings came from.

:facehoof:
Not somebody, it's somepony

Or, was it because that, had it not been for him, she hand Chenoa would have likely met a cold, watery end?

She hand:facehoof:seriously

Otherwise, still a great story:twilightsmile:

10142111
Me too, but this story hasn't been touched in quite a number of years.

Pls come back writer. I like this even though I don't read many non-spike stories.

Please continue on writing this wonderful story.

Login or register to comment