• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 9,042 Views, 800 Comments

The Lion and the Lamb - CrazyChickenLady



After following a baby griffon into a dangerous situation, Fluttershy finds herself rescued by a kind-hearted dragon and ends up befriending him.

  • ...
36
 800
 9,042

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty-Four: A Startling Interruption

Chapter Forty-Four: A Startling Interruption

Exiting the establishment, Fluttershy and Smokey stepped into the presence of their friends -- sans Rainbow Dash, who was still occupied in her attempts to shake the persistent macaw.

“We’re so sorry about this,” said Rarity, deciding to be the first to speak.

“It’s fine.” Fluttershy lifted her eyes to lock them with the unicorn’s with a soft smile. “We know you were just trying to help us have a good time together. But, really, this…”

“We understand, Fluttershy.” Twilight Sparkle stepped closer to place a hoof on her shoulder. “It was wrong of us, and we know that. You can forgive us, can’t you?”

The pegasus’ smile widened lightly.

“I already have.”

“As do I. But, no matter how close Miss Fluttershy and I get, just remember we’re only friends,” Smokey reminded, grinning underneath the head of his costume.

“We promise not to bother you two about your relationship again,” Rarity stated with a guilty frown gracing her features.

The dragon was about to say something else when a rumble erupted from his belly. After all, he was the only one out of himself, Fluttershy, and Chenoa who didn’t help himself to the complimentary bread.

“I suppose we should get going,” he suggested, turning to Fluttershy.

“Oh, goodness! You didn’t get any of the bread?” The pale yellow equine frowned before a smile pulled at her lips as she began to lead him off. “Come on then. Let’s go back to the cottage. I’ll make us all something quick and light. How do sandwiches sound?”

“Sounds perfectly fine to me.”

As the pair dispensed their goodbyes and left, Rainbow Dash finally returned to the scene not looking at all happy. Teeth gritting and left eye twitching with a disheveled mane and tail, her face was scrunched inward to signify her irritation. The mare fluttered past her friends and through the ornate doors of the restaurant with her forelegs outstretched in front of her, clasping the macaw between her hooves. Approaching a waiter, the cyan pegasus deposited the bird onto the empty tray on his back and turned around to exit without a single word.

***

Despite the late hour, Fluttershy found that the park was just as beautiful and lovely at night as it had been during the day.

In fact, she mentally mused as she stretched out on the blanket, now free of the garment that Rarity had made for her, it was even more gorgeous as the lantern they had brought cast its orange glow upon their surroundings, as the night sky was now covered with thick, black clouds. While the flowers weren’t as diverse or as widespread as the flora back at the Mareiot had been, nor were there any colorful birds… or any music… the pink-maned pegasus found this to be far more relaxing.

Tilting her head at the dragon beside her, she gave him a tranquil smile.

“It’s such a lovely night…”

“It is…” Smokey breathed, his eyes drinking in what he could see of the scenery. His own body was no longer donning the pony costume and the duct tape that had been holding down his spines had been removed. Thankfully, not much residue was left behind. Feeling the pull of his parental instincts, he lowered his vision to the griffon munching away at her baby food. “I’m glad we did this.”

“I am, too. I really wanted to do this for some time… and, it feels good. To be together. The two of us. Alone. Well… with Chenoa, anyway,” she giggled, shuffling over to nuzzle the chick and plant a kiss on her head. “And we don’t have to worry about any unforeseen events.”

The winged reptile smirked down at them, the familiar wash of warmth erupting from his chest at the display of affection. He scooted himself closer to the pegasus’ side and reached over to brush his fingers over the child’s cheek.

“You are right about that,” he said right before a rather loud rumble of thunder reached his ears, startling all three of them. He whipped his attention skyward, the realization of what it was dawning upon him.

Jumping at the noise and immediately leaping behind Smokey, the pony also tenderly turned to the sky.

“Oooh no. No, no, no, no…” she whined. “No, not now. Anytime but now!”

It’s all right. It’s just a storm brewing,” he reassured in a gentle voice as he drew the baby close to his torso. The small child whimpered, burying her face into his scales. “Perhaps we should pack up.”

“I… I…” Exhaling a noticeably bitter sigh, Fluttershy walked around Smokey to do just that, reaching for the empty jar of baby food first and dropping it into the basket. “This is the third time something like this has happened…”

Smokey offered a sympathetic smile as he set Chenoa onto the grass and moved the lantern and basket to help Fluttershy fold up the blanket.

“We can still have a nice time inside. Besides, it’s not like this will be the only time we’ll be doing something together.”

“True. We can. I was just hoping we could do something outside, finally.” The mare shook her head, placing the folded up blanket into the basket on top of the empty plastic sandwich wraps and bottles. “You’re right. There will be other chances…”

“Spring just started a week ago,” he prompted in a playful tone. Scooping up the white-pelted griffon as she was about to wander off, he held her in one arm while he gripped the basket’s handle with his free hand to carry.

Another clap of thunder -- a louder one this time -- rolled overhead, accompanied with a flash of lightning that cut across the horizon a mile or so away. The heavy scent of wet earth and vegetation filled the air as the wind picked up. Chenoa shook her head as she felt a single drop touch her cranium, and attempted to paw at the area afterwards. Almost instantly, the rain came down in a sprinkle.

“Okay, let’s get going before it gets worse.”

“Eeek!” the equine squeaked out as the thunder blasted over the area. Shivering and huddling closer to the dragon, pressing her side up against him. “I know, but… I really, really, really don’t like storms. The thunder and lightning scare me.”

Not wasting any time, she spread her wings and began to flutter off towards her cottage.

Making sure Chenoa and the basket were secure in his hold, Smokey curled the tip of his tail around the lantern’s handle and broke into a run behind the pegasus. The rain gradually came down harder and harder, completely soaking all three of them by the time they reached the shelter of their destination. Closing the door behind him with his tail, he set down the lantern, basket, and griffon, a puddle forming at his feet from the excess water dripping form him, the child, and items.

Shivering, both her mane and tail dripping, Fluttershy turned around to face Smokey with a small smile -- before chuckling and reaching down to pick Chenoa up in her hooves.

“Oh, you poor thing, you’re completely drenched! Why don’t we get some towels.” She kissed the chick and spun around to direct herself to the linen closet. “You’re probably cold, too. Mama doesn’t want her widdle baby to get sick!”

Chenoa chirped, pressing her wet body against her mother’s chest. Before Smokey could follow the mare, Ross hopped up to his caretaker, facial muscles contorting to convey his worry. The dragon gave a disarming smile to show the rabbit that he, Fluttershy, and Chenoa were fine. He was glad his animals were spending the night due to the scheduled storm that apparently slipped their minds. Even though he was certain their fellow leporidae and avian friends would’ve provided shelter for them, he felt far more at ease with them remaining in the cottage for the duration of the storm.

As a satisfied smile tipped the bunny’s furry lips, he bounded off to join the rest of the critters. Smokey, however, stayed where he was, preferring not to spread the mess around Fluttershy’s floor. He would wait for her to come back with towels.

It did not take her long to return with a few towels -- one already wrapped around Chenoa. Handing two more to the dragon, the pegasus settled down on the couch to dry the griffon off.

“Maybe we should get a fire going? It is a little chilly in here…”

“Yes, I think that would be a good idea.”

Smokey briskly dried himself off. Mentally noting the running mascara on the equine’s face, he fought the urge to chuckle at the sight of it. Wiping his feet and dropping the towels over the puddle beneath him, he strode over to the couch.

“You still have that makeup on your face, my dear,” he reminded her with a playful half smirk.

“Oh?” Fluttershy blinked up at him then fluttered over to the nearest mirror, the child in her arms. “Oh! … Oh, my…”

She frowned. It would have to wait until she got a fire started. Placing the baby back down onto the sofa, still keeping her in the towel, she went about getting a fire going. Even though spring had just begun a week ago, it was still coming off the heels of winter. As such, the rains were still quite cold, and if she didn’t get them warm soon…

Within minutes, a fire was roaring away, and Fluttershy stepped back to let out a small sigh.

“Smokey, could you watch Chenoa real fast?” she asked her companion as she trotted into the kitchen to wash her face.

“Of course.”

Sitting himself down on the floor in front of the couch, he brought his hands to the baby to stroke her soft down and baby fur. His ear frills perked as the whistles of the wind picked up into howls, thunder clapping and lightning flashing. The pitter-patter of raindrops on the roof and windowpanes increased in volume and frequency, some even falling down on the fire through the chimney -- but, not enough to put it out.

Another yelp leaped from the kitchen as the thunder roared again. It didn’t take long for Fluttershy to wash up, wandering back into the living room with all the makeup that had occupied her face now completely removed. Climbing onto the couch, she settled down near Smokey. Glancing over at him, she smiled softly. As thunder crashed again, she huddled up closer to the dragon, as if to protect herself from the storm.

The reptilian had been about to comment on how much nicer she looked now that her face was free from the makeup, but concern interrupted him. Picking up Chenoa, he rose up onto his feet only to sit down on the couch. He turned on his rump so he was directly facing the mare. Shifting the wriggling child into the arm right next to the back support of the couch, he extended the other to the equine in a gesture for her to come closer.

Fluttershy crawled over to partially climb onto his lap, resting her head against his chest. She let out a sigh, feeling a great warmth from his body through his scales.

“… You’re warm. Must be the fire inside your belly.”

“I would be surprised if there was still any in there. I… haven’t breathed fire since… since the… incident…” he admitted with a tiny blush, though it was hard to distinguish in the dim lighting.

As a louder crack of thunder shook the skies, Smokey allowed Chenoa to leave his arm and press into Fluttershy’s torso, body trembling in fear. The draconian furled his now free arm around the both of them, purring gently in reassurance.

“Oh… I’m… sorry. I… didn’t mean to… bring up any bad memories.”

The winged pony raised her forelegs to wrap them around Chenoa to hold her closely, moving her head in the crook of her reptilian friend’s arm, partially resting her head on his chest while sinking into him. Closing her eyes and listening to the crackle of the fire compounded with the heavy downpour of the rain outside was… actually calming.

“It’s all right, Miss Fluttershy. You hadn’t intended to.”

Keeping one arm furled almost protectively around the pegasus and griffon, Smokey touched the other hand to the mare’s cheek to lightly stroke it comfortingly.

“You know,” he began, tactically changing the subject by deciding to bring up what he was going to say earlier about her appearance. “As stunning as you looked with the makeup on… you don’t need it. You have more than enough natural beauty.”

She felt her cheeks glowing hot with his compliment. Drawing her forelegs up, she buried her face into Chenoa’s down -- as she could no longer hide behind her mane in its current style.

“I… Um… Thank you,” she murmured, embarrassed and yet touched.

Smokey smirked, indulging in Fluttershy’s cuteness as he always did. He decided to keep it up, anticipating a further reaction.

“I also prefer your mane in its natural state,” he tacked on, his claws reaching for the tie that held the mare’s mane up. Gently pulling it loose, the long silky locks fell. “That’s better.”

Letting out a soft “eep”, she blinked as her mane cascaded back down to its natural style. Gazing back up into Smokey’s eyes over Chenoa’s head, she smiled. She had actually been getting a bit used to it, though she had to admit she preferred wearing her hair long. She wasn’t sure how Rarity had been able to tie it all back to begin with.

He was about to apologize for startling her, if he did so… but he was derailed as his eyes met hers. Her large, expressive blue-green pools shone through the dim atmosphere, the reflected oranges from the fireplace flickering and dancing about like fireflies.

The dragon said nothing, just gazing into her eyes, his own closing halfway as he fell into a trance. All he did was trace his clawed fingers over her soft cheek, a glowing warmth blooming in his breast.

Locking her eyes with his, she gazed back into his own large emeralds… the reds of his scales illuminated by the fire and giving a lovely contrast. Subconsciously leaning into his hand, she felt her face flush with heat while her heartbeat quickened. She felt a sense of… yearning, but she wasn’t sure why.

PreviousChapters Next