• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 9,043 Views, 800 Comments

The Lion and the Lamb - CrazyChickenLady



After following a baby griffon into a dangerous situation, Fluttershy finds herself rescued by a kind-hearted dragon and ends up befriending him.

  • ...
36
 800
 9,043

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Five: It's Tool Time!

Chapter Twenty-Five: It’s Tool Time!

“Ummm. Mmmmaaaa. Mmmm. Mmmmaaa.” The chick sat back, curled up in a cuddle with Fluttershy. Her beak worked to form syllables that swam in her brain, specifically one individual word.

“I think she’s trying to say something,” Fluttershy declared, excitement brewing within her. “Come on, sweetie. You can do it. Say mama. Say ma-ma.”

Smokey’s ear frills perked and he instantly removed himself from the oven, having just popped the lasagna into it, and went as far as to scramble over the counter dividing the kitchen and living room instead of going around it. Somersaulting forth onto his back as he climbed over, he gathered himself and made haste to Chenoa and Fluttershy, dropping to his hands and knees.

“Come on, sweetheart! Mama! Say mama!” the dragon encouraged the baby with a large grin plastered upon his face, his earlier gloom abating.

“Mmm… Mmm… Mmmaa… mmmaaa… Mmmaammaaa. Mama!”

The euphoric squeal Fluttershy emitted was sharp enough to pierce the ears of everyone present in the room, especially the rabbit. She clapped her hooves together and shared a cheer among the remaining ponies and dragon, feeling especially giddy.

Smokey’s entire face lit up, donning the biggest grin he had ever conceived. Pushing himself up to sit on his rump, he extended his arms to pick up the baby griffon and drew her into an embrace.

“That’s a good girl, Chenoa! Good girl!” he gushed, pressing a kiss to her fluffy head.

The yellow equine shuffled closer, reaching to wrap her forelegs around both Chenoa and Smokey as best as she could since the dragon was currently holding the chick. Closing her eyes, she kissed the baby’s cheek and nuzzled her, a torrent of jubilance engulfing her.

“Isn’t that sweet?” Rarity crooned. “They look like one big, happy family.”

The winged reptilian chuckled, his entire being filled with the same elation as the mare felt. His eyes were practically dancing, he - and Fluttershy - were so proud of the tiny griffon’s accomplishment. Cradling her in one arm, he pulled his other arm free and furled it around the mare. Due to the fact that Chenoa was trapped between him and the pegasus at the mid-length of his chest, he had to crane his neck in order to nuzzle her, his snout brushing against his sunshine yellow friend’s in the process.

Fluttershy squeaked, nearly jumping from the unexpected touch, but she remained where she was, her hooves grasping onto the dragon’s strong arms. Her pink mane bristled up against his chest and chin, brushing her cheek against the baby’s cranium.

Observing them for a short while, Rarity cleared her throat and rose to her hooves and rotated her body into the direction of the exit.

“As heartwarming as this scene is, I get the feeling I’m trespassing. Pinkie, Dash, would you mind helping me get this window installed? I’m beginning to feel kind of lazy just watching Twilight and Applejack work.”

Both Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash blinked in bewilderment. Rarity doing physical labor? Preposterous! The pink-pelted mare opened her mouth to say something, but the unicorn was already on her way towards the front window. Glancing over at the prism-maned pegasus, she shrugged, figuring Rarity was just taking the opportunity as an excuse to leave and give Fluttershy, Chenoa, and Smokey some personal space.

A purr vibrated in the dragon’s throat, expressing his affection for the little griffon nestled between him and Fluttershy. Smokey rubbed his chin against the mare’s head, deciding to bestow some attention on her, too. After all, she is Chenoa’s mother figure. Why shouldn’t he give her a little affection as well?

Rainbow Dash smirked, bemused at the sound her now perked ears caught.

“Heh. I didn’t know dragons could purr.”

“Huh! I didn’t know that, either! Must be something only an adult dragon can do,” Twilight Sparkle theorized, wondering why she had never heard Spike purr.

“Rainbow Dash, aren’t you going to help us?” Rarity sweetly called to the cyan pegasus. “This window isn’t going to repair itself.”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m coming.” The winged pony unfolded her wings and kicked off, flapping to remain airborne. Though she could have just walked out of the room, she preferred to fly wherever she went. It was an impulse naturally embedded within her ever since she learned how to fly. While she was curious as to what would happen between the other pegasus and the dragon, she figured it was best to leave them alone with Chenoa… for now.

“Wait… Rarity?” Applejack paused her task of nailing in a hinge to the new door with a rather incredulous expression. “Yer gonna fix the window? Ah thought you were adverse to such physical labor.”

“Oh, Applejack.” The alabaster unicorn shifted her mane aside with a swing of her head. “I’m not removing the glass and yanking out the frame. I’m going to levitate the new one in and hold it while somepony else secures it.”

“Alright. Don’t hesitate to call us if you three need any assistance,” said Applejack. And with that, she got to work hammering in the second doorframe with the alicorn’s aid.

“We got this,” Rainbow Dash stated, a confident smirk pulling at her features as she buried her head into the orange earth equine‘s saddlebag and fished out a screwdriver.

Pinkie Pie, hammer in mouth, rose upon her hind legs and pressed her front hooves against the wall beneath the window to carefully chip away at the broken glass, deliberately knocking the shards outside in order to make sure to leave no hazards inside the house. The pieces were captured in Rarity’s magic and transferred to an empty space in the cart and deposited where they would be properly disposed of later.

As Smokey locked his sea green orbs with Fluttershy’s, the corners of his lips drew inward to a more relaxed smile rather than one that expressed his earlier bliss, which climbed down significantly. There was just something about her blue-green eyes that calmed him… Soothed him… He absorbed every single detail, finding himself adoring everything about them; the way they sparkled, the mixed shades of blues and greens coating her irises in an aesthetic display, the softness of them that openly conveyed her compassionate and sweet nature… Everything…

“Miss Fluttershy… I… I must say… your… your eyes really are like… the purest… sapphires…” he whispered to the pegasus before him, his cheeks flushing mildly in embarrassment. If the other equines had not joked around about them being more than just friends the day before, he wouldn’t have felt such discomfiture.

The pale yellow-pelted pony blushed deeply, not breaking her gaze from his.

“And yours… are like a beautiful glade,” she murmured.

His cheeks were tinged with a darker rose, a chuckle - almost a giggle - jumped from his gullet.

“Now, you are just saying that because I complimented you.”

Fluttershy shook her head and tilted her head downward at Chenoa, who was lounging quietly, then directed her vision to Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash. Once the pink earth pony had knocked out all the glass, the rainbow-maned mare lined her body up with the window still. Whirling around, she launched her hind hooves at the bottom and right side of the frame, knocking it right out in one powerful kick. Catching it with her magic, the unicorn levitated it to the cart and lifted the new one out, transferring over to take the old one’s place.

“Oh no. Your eyes remind me so much of the meadows and the parks,” said Fluttershy, shyly keeping her gaze away from the dragon before her. “The green grasses in the grove, the garden by the glen…”

The reptilian leaned in, touching his nose to her cheek and nuzzled her once, feeling the warmth radiating from her face and spreading over his scales.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the meadows and parks of Ponyville once spring arrives.”

“So am I.” The equine giggled at the touch. Her face was still slightly flushed, and the physical contact did nothing to alleviate it. “Chenoa will just love chasing the butterflies and running around in the fields…”

“Aww! But I wanted to help paint!” came the whining protest from Pinkie Pie.

Rarity knitted her brows together in disdain as Rainbow Dash screwed in the window frame, envisioning splatters of mismatched paint all over the shutters, walls, pane, and the glass itself.

“Knowing you, you’d get paint on everything.”

The sky blue pony paused in mid-turn, holding her screwdriver-wielding hoof still, rolling her eyes and opening her mouth to speak in a vexed intonation. “Just let her paint, Rarity. She’ll just keep bugging ya until she gets her way.

“Oh… Very well,” Rarity sighed in surrender, peering into the house and eyeing the dull stone-colored walls and lack of décor in a scrutinizing fashion. “Perhaps we could convince Smokey to give this place a remodeling. The color here is so dreary and drab…”

Chenoa cooed softly, her bright amber eyes expressing the same adoration any child held for their parents. Though having spent a short amount of time with the pegasus and draconian, the memory of her birth parents was dimming, like a candle about to burn out.

“We’ll have to teach her not to hurt the butterflies, or any other small creatures she finds. I know griffons have a hunting instinct, but… I think dragons do, too… Don’t they?” Smokey questioned, his facial features scrunching inward a bit.

“Well… I think so. Twilight?”

“Yes, Fluttershy?” Twilight Sparkle called over, not even turning to look at the other pony as she kept the second doorframe held in place with her magic while Applejack hammered nails into it to secure it.

“Do dragons have a hunting instinct?”

“Not that I know of,” the princess replied. “None of the books I had in the library had anything on dragons. And Spike’s only real hunting instinct is for gems.”

“Gems? What would he need gems for?” Smokey queried, finally removing his arm from Fluttershy. Never have received any education on his own species, of course he would be clueless about his kind’s impulse to collect and eat precious stones.

“For eating,” the winged and horned pony clarified, twisting her neck to glance at him over her shoulder. “Dragons are naturally inclined to horde and consume gems. Most dragons, anyway. Haven’t you ever felt any sort of greed compulsion from time to time?”

“Ah don’t think he has, sugarcube,” Applejack stated. “Because Ah don’t recall readin’ about a rampagin’ greed-grown dragon in Equestria… Outside of Spike, that is.”

“Not really.” Blinking with semi-wide eyes, Smokey lifted a hand to idly scratch his head as he wondered why he never felt the urge to horde. Dropping his hand, he shifted his attention back to the baby. “I suppose we’ll have to teach Chenoa to control her hunting instincts if she develops them.”

“I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible,” Twilight Sparkle agreed. “After all, if YOU were able to curb your own natural tendencies, I see no reason why Chenoa wouldn’t be able too, either.”

Fluttershy nodded and lowered her head to nuzzle her beloved child.

“Hmmm… If that’s the case. We’ll teach her to the best of our ability.”

“Yes, we shall teach her to be as compassionate and sweet as Mama,” the dragon alleged, smiling down at the giggling griffon and administering a kiss to her cranium once Fluttershy drew back.

“And as mature and kindhearted as her Daddy,” the pegasus added with a resigned sigh.

“You really do sound like a family,” the alicorn proclaimed.

“Yeah.” The farmer nodded, dropping the hammer to the floor, having finished driving in the final nail. “Jes don’t ferget to invite us to the weddin’.”

“How many times are your friends going to tease us about that?” Smokey asked, following with a nervous chuckle, his blush returning to his face in a prominent shade of pink. He didn’t mind a little playful banter, but this was beginning to make him feel uncomfortable.

The pair of mares shared a giggle between them and went right back to work. It was time to attach the hinges to the frame.

Author's Note:

I know this is a short chapter, but... HAPPY HOLIDAYS, GAIZ!!!

PreviousChapters Next