• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 5,279 Views, 167 Comments

Twilight's Rainbow - Kodeake



Twilight studies every move she makes. But sometimes she can only learn what she wants by expirience, and that's hard to come by with what she wants to know.

  • ...
8
 167
 5,279

Divided We Fall

Divided We Fall

Rainbow awoke to sunlight streaming in through a window, the bed having been placed directly into the light of the rising sun. Probably to make sure the unicorn that normally slept in the bed didn’t over sleep. She grumbled as she tried to shift away from the light, only realise she was still being held tightly by lavender hooves. The mare herself protected from the sun beam by Rainbow’s shadow. No matter how many times she had seen in over the past week, it still made her heart flutter and a smile form on her face.

She craned her neck towards the unicorn’s head, nuzzling her cheek. “Wake up.” She added quietly when the initial nuzzle had little to no effect. Twilight grumbled and buried her head deeper into Rainbow’s chest, mumbling groggily in her sleep. Dash smirked as an idea wormed its way into her head.

“Twilight, the Princess is here.” She whispered directly into the unicorn’s ear. Twilight instantly bolted upright, the covers flying off the bed in a purple glow as she looked around frantically.

“What? Where? Why?” She spun her head back and forth, whipping her mane directly into Rainbow’s chuckling face.

“Relax Twi, I was kidding.” Rainbow sat up and grabbed Twilight’s head with her hooves, forcefully stopping the frantic search for a princess that wasn’t there.

“What?” Twilight looked puzzled for a second before the words sunk in and her confusion was replaced by a glare. “Not funny, Rainbow.” She scolded.

“Hey, it was the only way I could think of to get you up. Besides, it was pretty funny.” She added with another chuckle. Twilight didn’t respond, instead opting to continue her glare as she got out of bed.

“Fine. Now go get Spike up, and tell him to make some breakfast.” The unicorn didn’t wait for a reply as she trotted swiftly out of the room and into the bathroom. Once she was in she grabbed her brush in her magic and began the rather boring task of getting the knots out of her mane as she levitated a tooth brush out of the medicine cabinet.

She watched her reflection in her mirror as she prepared herself for the day, her mind drifting back to the last week of her life. She went through every second she could remember, which was almost the entire thing. She thought back to that night, nearly a week ago, when she had finally told Rainbow Dash about her feelings, and when Rainbow said she did as well. The joy she had felt at that moment was something she had never felt before. It was better then gaining entrance to Celestia’s school. Better then any test she had ever aced.

She smiled around the brush in her mouth as her mind moved to the next day; the day they had told their friends. Her smile didn’t even crack as she thought about what Rarity had said, it didn’t matter now. She supported them now. That’s all that mattered to her. The rest of her friends had been more then happy, something she was grateful for. She didn’t know why she had thought otherwise, but she did. So it was a huge relief to know she could put those fears to rest.

Then she moved to the party. That one night; that could be considered as her and Rainbow’s ‘first date’. It was amazing. They had laughed together, ate together, she even convinced Rainbow to dance with her once. Rainbow may deny it, but she could tell when the cyan pegasus enjoyed something. And she enjoyed that dance, whether she would admit it or not. Rarity nearly in tears, practically begging for forgiveness, even Twilight had to admit; that was funny to watch. Especially the look on her face when she realized the entire crowd had been staring at her.

The past four days had been simpler. It had been just her and Rainbow for the most part; doing whatever they felt like. Some nights they went out for dinner, and some they would spend in, lying together reading their books. Rainbow Dash had almost finished the Daring Do series, and Twilight had recently gotten some new textbooks from Celestia on modern magic. More often then not Rainbow found herself reading well into the night, and most of the time spending the night. The previous night had been no different.

Smiling contentedly, she spat and rinsed her mouth out quickly, her mane having been finished for some time now. She trotted happily down the stares to the main floor of the library. There she found Spike, standing in the middle of the room, a bewildered expression on his face. Papers and books were scattered across the room, the door swung gently on its hinges in the breeze coming from outside.

“Uh, Spike, what happened?” Spike was snapped out of his confusion by the lavender unicorn crossing the room to stand next to him. “And what happened in here?”

“Rainbow Dash, she took one look at the calendar and bolted out the door, she didn’t say anything, but she looked excited.” Spike answered, still staring at the chaos that had been created around him. Even some of the heavier books had been knocked off shelves.

“It looks like a cyclone blew through here!” Twilight went about the task of neatly stacking the papers back on the various tables around the room. Before Twilight could ask another question, a cyan blur flew in threw the open door, a high pitched squeal following closely behind.

“OMYGOSHOMYGOSHOMYGOSH!” Dash rattled of as she dashed in front of Twilight and pulled their muzzles together, taking Twilight by surprise.

“Rainbow?” Twilight asked, breaking the unexpected kiss and raising an eyebrow at the obviously excited mare.

“I did it, Twi! I got in! I’m a Wonderbolt!” Dash shouted, drawing Twilight back in for another brief kiss before holding up a piece of parchment.

“I got the letter today, just when they said I would!” She all but shoved the thing down Twilight’s throat as the unicorn took it in her magic and held it at an angle easier for her to see.


Dear Rainbow Dash

We are pleased to inform you that after your spectacular job at the Training Academy, it was unanimous. You have been accepted into the Wonderbolts. You are to report to the Cloudsdale arena on the fourth of this month. While we are aware this is very short notice, as you should receive this on the first, but we need to get a few things sorted before the show. Be there at 7 AM sharp.

-The Wonderbolts

“Rainbow! This is great news!” Twilight smiled as she wrapped her leg around Rainbow’s neck, giving her a quick hug before releasing her and setting the letter on the table.

“It’s more then great! It’s AWESOME! I’m a Wonderbolt… Rainbow Dash Wonderbolt… Rainbow Dash the Wonderbolt? I dunno, will have to think of the title later.” Dash shrugged and looked toward Spike, currently placing and assortment of books back on the shelves. “So, breakfast?”

He grumbled as he walked towards her, dropping a stack of books in front of her and making his way to the kitchen.

-_-_-_-

“C’mon Twi! We’re gonna be late! When they say 7AM sharp, they mean 7 AM exactly, not two minutes after 7, not 30 seconds after 7, 7 SHARP!” Rainbow whined, waiting for Twilight to finish whatever nerdy thing the bookworm was working on that had to be finished. It was time for her to become a Wonderbolt, and Twilight had decided she needed to finish her project before they left.

“We won’t be late, besides, this is important.” Twilight waved a hoof, dismissing her whining as she put the finishing touches on her project. “There, now we can go!” She said triumphantly, levitating a small box with her as she trotted over to the door and the impatient pegasus.

“What you’re not even going to show me what was so important I had to risk being late?” Rainbow cocked her head as Twilight trotted past her out the door.

“It’s a surprise.” She said simply before turning around. “Are we going or not?”

Rainbow grumbled about secrets and annoying marefriend’s, but followed her outside anyway, crouching down and motioning to her back with a wing. “Get on.” Twilight gladly accepted the invitation, this was not the first time Rainbow had flown her somewhere. She climbed carefully onto the cyan mare’s back, being sure to avoid the wings before wrapping her hooves around Rainbow’s neck and squeezing, informing Rainbow she was ready to go.

“Let’s go!” With that Dash took off quickly, arching towards Cloudsdale, the cloud city lying half way between Ponyville and Canterlot. A thin Rainbow trail followed her as she pumped her wings harder then normal; she wasn’t quite used to carrying another pony yet.

Within ten minutes Cloudsdale was on the horizon and rapidly expanding before them. It wasn’t long before Rainbow could see the massive clock on the main weather building; 6:56. Beating her wings a little harder the first clouds of the city sped by below her, a few houses placed further away from the noise of the mane weather district.

In another minute they were above the weather district, the arena clearly visible. She risked a glance back at the clock, 6:58. She willed her wings to move just a little faster. Once she was sure she was close enough she began to slow down, just enough to land. She touched down at the front gate to the arena, the clock reading 6:59.

“Made it!” Dash cried triumphantly as she knelt down, allowing Twilight to get off her back. Her hooves touched down on the clouds, firm as stone thanks to her cloud walking spell. “No, I need to get in there; I’ll be back out as soon as I can, alright?” Dash turned to face Twilight.

“Go on, I’ll-” She was cut short by the clock ringing, announcing the fact that it was 7 AM.

“BYE!” Dash yelled, galloping into the arena.

“Bye.” Twilight called, her box still floating next to her head.

-_-_-_-

Dash emerged nearly an hour later. Twilight had found a bench to sit on and waited patiently. Noticing the cyan pegasus Twilight rose from the bench and began her approach. When Twilight was a little closer she noticed the slow, sluggish steps Rainbow was taking. That combined with her head, which was hung so low hat it was nearly brushing against the cloud floor, told her something was wrong. A frown formed on her face as she picked up the pace, noticing Rainbow’s cyan ears were laid flat against her skull.

“How was it?” Twilight called as soon as she was within earshot. Rainbow Dash didn’t respond. Instead she continued her slow, sad journey across the clouds. It wasn’t long before she reached the unicorn, and by then her eyes were already moist.

“We can’t… be… together.” Dash said quietly, standing a few steps away.

“W-what?” Twilight’s mind was reeling. Had she really heard what she thought she did? Did Rainbow really say that? Did she really mean it?

“If I’m going to be a Wonderbolt I have to stay with them most of the time. I won’t have time for a relationship… I’m sorry, Twi, but I only get one weekend a month off, and that’s not enough time to keep this going.” She tried to hold her head up, tried to put on a confident smile, but it shattered like her tears hitting the cloud below them. Rarely did she cry. Rarer still did she let somepony else see her cry.

“N-no, we can make it work! We can… we can do something! Anything, just… don’t say it’s over… please…” Twilight fell back onto her haunches, tears filling her vision. “Please don’t say it’s over.”

“Can we make it work?” Dash asked doubtfully. She knew it wouldn’t work. She knew Twilight knew it wouldn’t work.

“We can at least try. Maybe we can make it work!” Twilight sounded hopeful, like she really believed in her own words. That was a lie; Dash knew it was a lie.

“I know when you’re lying, Twi.” Rainbow deadpanned, her tears still flowing freely.

“It doesn’t matter! We should at least try!” Twilight yelled angrily, though she was angrier with herself then at anything else. She felt selfish for this. She knew it was wrong, but she had to try. She couldn’t lose Rainbow. Not now, not ever.

“Alright… we’ll try.” Dash nodded after a few minutes of silence, quickly wiping away her tears. “Maybe it’ll work out.” She reached over and pulled Twilight into a hug.

“The first month will be over before you know it.” She whispered into a lavender ear, earning a twitch and the lavender hooves around her tightening.

-_-_-_-

Twilight sighed as she stood out on her balcony, the moon high in the sky.

“Over before I know it.” Twilight repeated sadly, glancing back at her calendar. A date circled with a large cyan circle. Only 3 days away.

“It felt like so much more then a month.” She sighed again, returning inside her tree and walking to her bedroom. Walking slowly over to her bed and getting in. She had never felt so alone in her life. Her house felt empty without an energetic pegasus hovering around constantly. They may have never ‘officially’ moved in together, but it was close enough for her. It had been two weeks. They had only been together for two weeks and she could hardly stand being away from her rainbow maned marefriend.

A tear rolled its way down her check as she grabbed a spare pillow with a flick of her horn. She guided it gently over to her bed, levitating it below the covers where she wrapped her hooves around it. She wished it would hug her back. She wished it wasn’t just a pillow. She wished it was Rainbow Dash.

She fell asleep like that more often then she cared to admit. Hugging a pillow, pretending it was the cyan pegasus she desperately wanted to hold instead.

-_-_-_-

“Twi?” Dash called out into the dark library. It was mid-day; ponies were bustling about the street outside of the library. She took a few hesitant steps into the eerie blackness before her. As soon as her hoof touched the floor, she was wrapped in a magenta glow and drug inside the blackness, the door slammed shut behind her and the windows around the library opened simultaneously, flooding the room with light. Before Rainbow could utter a single word in protest her vision was filled with a flash of light, followed by violet eyes as she felt a familiar pressure on her lips.

She allowed her eyes to slide shut in sync with Twilight’s as they stood together. Twilight wrapped her hooves around Rainbow’s neck, the pegasus doing the same. Rainbow felt Twilight’s tongue brush gently against her lips, politely asking for entrance. Rainbow obliged as she opened her mouth, allowing the warm muscle to slip inside. It fought against her own; both trying to win an imaginary competition. Rainbow won (as always) as she pushed back against Twilight, her own tongue slipping into the warm confines of Twilight’s mouth. Exploring every nook and cranny it could find, Twilight offered little resistance as let a low, pleasured moan reverberate in her throat: The vibrations escaping her own mouth into Rainbow’s.

It continued for a while before Twilight pulled back, breaking the kiss. A lone string of saliva joined the two, but the broke as they both started panting lightly.

“Hey.” Dash panted, still gazing into Twilight’s violet eyes.

“Hey.” She responded.

-_-_-_-

“Already?” Twilight whined, looking pleadingly at the cyan pegasus hovering just above her balcony.

“Yeah, gotta be in Manehatten by tonight, that’s about a five hour flight.” Dash said sadly, eyes glued to the floor as she spoke.

“Wait! Before you go, I made something for you. I never got a chance to give it to you before you were accepted last month, here.” Twilight levitated a small box over to the pegasus. It landed softly in one of her hooves. Wasting no time, she quickly nudged it open with her muzzle, revealing a rainbow lightning bolt on a purple six-pointed star background on a silver chain. Dash stayed there for a second, admiring the amazing details. Each colour in the lightning bolt was a row of tiny, round gems. The outlines were silver like the chain, and the purple star glistened brightly in the morning light.

“Do you like it?” Twilight asked nervously, scraping a hoof slowly along the ground as she turned her head to the side.

“Like it? Twilight, it’s beautiful, I love it!” Dash’s smile brought a similar one to Twilight’s lips as she took the necklace out of the box in a magenta glow. It the chain floated over Rainbow’s head and secured itself snugly around her neck, the small emblem dangling down to her chest.

“I’m glad, it took a lot of favours to get it on such short notice, but I think it was worth it. Now you’ll have something to remember me by, just don’t lose it!” Twilight poked Rainbow playfully on the nose, causing the pegasus to chuckle lightly as she rubbed her nose.

“I wouldn’t lose this. I just wish I had something to give you…” Rainbow trailed off as she looked around for something to give the lavender unicorn.

“It’s alright, you don’t have to-” She was cut off by Dash’s triumphant shout as she reached under her wing. After a second her wing twitched and she withdrew her head.

“Here.” She mumbled around a blue feather in her mouth. It was slightly smaller then a quill.

“Didn’t that hurt?” Twilight winced as she imagined pulling out a bunch of fur.

“Nah, we shed regularly, I’m fine. Now take it.” Dash pushed her head toward Twilight. Twilight took the feather in her magic and brought it closer to her face for inspection.

“It’s… beautiful…” She stared, mesmerized at the feather for a few seconds before shaking her head slightly and bringing it up to tuck it between her ear and her head. It rested proudly, sticking out slightly over her face as she beamed back and Rainbow

“Nothing compared to this.” She said, bashfully batting at the piece of jewellery hanging around her neck. “Oh hey, we’re doing a show in Canterlot in a few weeks, think you can make it? It’s on me.” She offered, thankful to change the subject from the mushy-gushy stuff she still wasn’t completely comfortable with.

“I’ll be there!” Twilight smiled. Rainbow smiled back for a second before she took notice of one of Twilight’s clocks (she had a lot scattered around the library) and her face fell.

“Aw nuts, I got to. I’ll see you at the show!” She leaned down and gave the unicorn a quick kiss before she turned and launched into the horizon. Twilight stood and watched until even her rainbow trail had faded into the blue of sky.

Author's Note:

Well... yeah, I wrote a make-out scene.... would you look at that.That was my first one ever... PLEASE DON'T KILL ME, I KNOW IT'S TERRIBLE!