• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 5,275 Views, 167 Comments

Twilight's Rainbow - Kodeake



Twilight studies every move she makes. But sometimes she can only learn what she wants by expirience, and that's hard to come by with what she wants to know.

  • ...
8
 167
 5,275

Epilogue: Promise

Twilight’s Rainbow
Chapter 14
Epilogue: Promise

Twilight and Rainbow stood in the hall outside Spitfire’s office. There was hardly a sound in the building; the only noise was the steady ticking of a clock at the end of the hall. Rainbow stood, Wonderbolts uniform held under her wing, a hoof raised in preparation to knock on the door. Her breathing came in shallow breaths as she worked up the nerve to do what needed to be done.

“You don’t have to.” Twilight spoke from beside her, offering a comforting smile. Rainbow just shook her head.

“No, I need to do this. I promised you, Twi.” Rainbow took a final deep breath a knocked three times on the door. Three solid thuds rang through the hall, drowning the ticking of the clock. As the final thud’s echo faded from existence, the door opened, revealing the captain of the Wonderbolts with her trademark glasses.

“Rainbow Dash, I was wondering how long you would be standing out here.” She said knowingly, giving a small smirk.

“I… uh…” Rainbow fumbled with her words, trying to think of an excuse.

“Come in.” Spitfire beckoned, turning back into her office. Rainbow looked uncertainly at her partner. Twilight nodded comfortingly, and Rainbow stepped into the office after another deep breath, the door closing behind her.

Twilight sat back on her haunches and leaned back against the wall. She tilted her head to rest it on the wall, and stared up at the ceiling.

TICK… TOCK… TICK…TOCK

The clock continued ticking almost merrily, as if it were unaware of what was happening beyond the closed door. As if it didn’t know the dreams that were being crushed as it counted the time that flowed by. Un-halting and unforgiving, time would continue, no matter what happened in that office.

TICK…TOCK…TICK…TOCK

Rainbow didn’t have to do this; Twilight had told her that over and over again. And yet she insisted. Rainbow was hell bent on keeping a promise that Twilight no longer cared for. Twilight didn’t care anymore; all she wanted was to know Rainbow loved her, even if Rainbow wasn’t with her. But no, Rainbow had to go and quit the Wonderbolts for her. All of it was for her.

Again that tiny nagging in the back of her mind came back to her, poisoning her thoughts with guilt. It was her fault, she had started it all, and now Rainbow had to fix her mistake all over again.

TICK…TOCK…TICK…TOCK

And still the clock ticked and tocked as time kept flowing through the hall where the unicorn sat. Time was unyielding, even for the briefest of moments, no matter how much Twilight wanted it to stop. No matter how much she wanted to rewind the clock, time would march by. With or without her, time would go on.

TICK…TOCK…TI-

The ticking was halted forcefully as the now smashed clock was lowered to the floor in a purple glow. Twilight made a mental note to buy them a new clock when all this was over. She sighed heavily, straining her ears to hear the discussion going on through the door. Any attempt to hear the words was useless, the walls and doors were too thick to allow anything short of yelling to pass through into the now-silent hall. She began to miss the ticking of the clock.

Suddenly, the door swung open, and a cyan pegasus stepped out. The Wonderbolts uniform was still clutched tightly under her wing and a relieved smile on her face. She stepped out fully into the hall, closing the door behind her. Twilight instantly shot off the floor and raced over to her marefriend’s side.

“How’d it go?” Twilight asked cautiously, putting a comforting hoof on her friend’s withers.

“Well, I’m not a Wonderbolt anymore…” Rainbow trailed off sadly, looking to the uniform under her wing, “But they offered me a position as an instructor at the academy they’re opening next month. It’ll be like a regular job, so I’ll be able to come home every night. I even get extended vacations during the winter when we aren’t training any new cadets.”

“My picture’s even going to be in the Wonderbolts hall of fame! It may have only been a few months, but I was one of their best fliers ever!” Rainbow explained enthusiastically, earning a smile from Twilight.

“That’s great, Rainbow. But your really didn’t have to-” Twilight was cut off as a hoof was rested gently across her lips.

“Yes, I did. I needed to quit, for you, and for me. I made you a promise, Twi, I intend to keep it.” Rainbow removed her hoof slowly. As soon as the hoof was clear Twilight opened her mouth to protest again, but was silenced as Rainbow leaned in and kissed her. It was brief, but passionate. When Rainbow drew back, Twilight was smiling.

“Come on, let’s go home.” Twilight offered as she turned and began walking down the hall. Rainbow rested a wing over her back, drawing her close as they made their way out of the building.

“Hey Twi, wasn’t there a clock there?”

Author's Note:

And now it is officially done. I loved writing this chapter, possibly more then the previous one. I think it's an excellent way for this story to end, we have closure, we have Twidash Romance, and we have a really happy ending, but not unbelievably happy. All in all, I think it works well.

Until my next story,
Kodeake Out.

Comments ( 36 )

Good epiloge, :rainbowdetermined2:

2601825
It's a possibility. I was gonna make my next fic a sequel to this, but I ended up creating an entirely different back story for it. I may, eventually, come back to this and giv it a sequel, but first I have to come up with a story line for such a fic. Either way, it won't happen for a while.

2376318
Finally got to the epilogue you promised us, huh? This was a very nice ending to a really good TwiDash story. It hurts my heart to see Dash give up her dream, but it makes me happy to see her give it up for love. I can't wait to read more stories by you in the future. Keep up the great writing!

Hey there, that was a great fic that I thoroughly enjoyed reading but one thing in this epilogue stood out to me. Twilight mentions that she would be okay with Rainbow Dash staying in the Wonderbolts because she has the comfort of knowing Dash loves her; Wouldn't the long periods of time away from Dash still evoke the same sadness from before?

2746249
That is a possibility, but at the same time you have to remember she would have changed and learned a lot from the first time it happened. It would be likely that she would handle it in a totally different way then she did the first time.

3534924
Wow, been a while since I've gotten a comment on this one.

this was written almost a year ago now, and I was much less experienced with both writing and editing at the time so such mistakes are to be expected.

However, I thank you for the corrections.

I do plan on doing a sequel to this one day, so such corrections will be useful when I re-write this before that.

So when will the riddle/assignment be completed and sent to Celestia?:applejackunsure:

3559768
err.... wut?

What assignment?

3560322 Either it's another fic or it's in the first chapter: an assignment given to Twi : Two forces that a pony must choose over.What are these two forces?

3560322 Nevermind, it was another fic.

3561954
Figured; I know the one you were thinking of. It is a great Twidash though.

3584203
may I have your permission to preserve this as it is now?
i swear it won't be reposted, or shared without your permission. it would only be in my hard drive as a epub file, and cherished every time i see it........

3584237
Uh, sure, if you really want to. Actually, a few people now have voiced their concerns about me rewriting this. I don't know, if people really like it the way it is, then I might leave it...

3584344 i know i'll always cherish this story as the first to literally take my breath away. But whatever you decide to do with it will be more than okay by me, it's "your" story after all.

just know that i, and more than likely most (if not all) of your followers, will gladly read the rewrite as well.

and thank you so much for letting me keep the story as it is on my computer.....i'm ocd so that meant wonders to me lol.

aCB

Wow. I havent read a romance so tinged with mental illness since Romeo & Juliet. You kept my attention to the very end.

Rainbow Dash may have had some sort of trauma induced depression and weird variant of schizophrenia, but Twilight really took the cake. Not that she was unusually neurotic, but because of how typical she was. I can give you a list of all the people (esp women) with her symptoms: abandonment issues with dubious cause, dependency issues, falling in head over heels psychotic love with someone after only a month, jealousy issues, and sheer possessiveness. In this story, Twilight is a scary, scary, character.

Your story both intrigued and engaged me. Well done.

I'm just glad this has a happy ending, you had me worried for a while lol
Really liked the story :twilightsmile:

3595680
Er... thanks?

Not sure if insult, or odd compliment....
Yeah, this story needs some serious re-working, I know. That's why there's a rewrite pending note in the description; I'm hoping to go through and fix it soon.

aCB

3619066

Sorry. What with Rainbow hearing voices and Twilight's freaky obsessiveness, I thought you were going for the mental health angle. (I was also drunk when I wrote that comment, so I don't really know what I was trying to say either) :twilightoops:

He found a story seemingly interesting, put it on a read later list with the intend to make a constructive review, found time, read it, read the comments,started typing
Only to realize he was at a loss of words.:fluttercry:

3663826
Thanks for that, it means a lot. Glad you enjoyed the story!

has anything (and i mean so much as a word, no, a letter.) been rewritten yet?
i wanted to show this story to a friend but apparently the epub of the original i have, or rather had, has decided to be Houdini and just up and vanished.

3747607
Nope; this is second on my list of rewrites. You'll know when it starts when the rewrite pending tag in the description changes to a rewrite in-progress tag.

3747612 *cries a little out of sheer joy* OH THANK GOD!
i was in an absolute panic there for a while v . v

3747649
Even if I had started the rewrites, I myself am keeping unedited copies of the original on my computer. Kind of a reminder to what I started with, since this was really my first "serious" Twidash. If you ever do need the original after I start the rewrites, I'd have no problem giving my copy to you.

3747659 ....i could cry...like...in absolute honesty i could cry so freaking hard right now over how epicly awesome that is.....like....it made me feel all warm and special :twilightsheepish:

4795668
It's not that she can't lift it, it's that she's making Rainbow do it. I even say that she actually does lift it onto Rainbow's back.

This is a beautifully atypical story. I say atypical because while it's not all that farfetched in the spectrum of TwiDash romance, it's still certainly not the norm, nor is it what I'd expected. I commend you for writing this and eliciting the emotions that you did; I can't really explain my relationship with this story other than that it's one of my all-time favorites and that's not scheduled to change anytime soon.

5979871

I have no idea. I wouldn't stick around long enough to find out.

So after reading this over again, this story is definitely going in my top favorites.

I've read plenty of Twidash fics, but this one really takes the cake. Kodeake I must say this here is a truly fantastic fic and in my opinion one of the best Twidash stories out there.

This book made me smile sooooo much! It also sent a chill down my right side but I don't think that's too important. I've got some other books of yours to read so you'll see some more comments from me!

Oh, so im done with this one, I would even say "finaly":unsuresweetie:
Thought i enjoyed this, and see no comments negative, yet I gonna unreveal my IMHO (in my humble opinion) - I feel you DO broke the thing at some point, yet cant say for sure what is wrong:pinkiesad2: The only thing I was able to figure out - the thoughts that Rainbow has in first or second chapter, and the choice she made between Twi and Wonderbolts isn't realy converging (there was one more thing, but i forgoten it past the time i get myself to be able to comment):unsuresweetie:
There was yet some spelling mistakes, but they dont realy bother me at all, thought i can screw the things even worse:pinkiesad2:
Pass by two my fav booshelves straitgh to recommended, thought it yet quite a great story.
Best of luck:twilightsmile:

I loved reading this story, it is worth reading again!!!!:pinkiehappy:

Adorable.... Just so... Adorable!!!:rainbowkiss::twilightblush::twilightsmile:

I thought it had to be at least 1K words in order for it to be published...?:S

7358124
The story as a whole does need to be above 1K for it to be released, but singular chapters can be published shorter than 1K.

7358316 OOOHHH!!! Well this makes writing my own story SO much easier. SENPAI NOTICED ME!!! AAAAHHHH!!!!

Login or register to comment