• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 5,275 Views, 167 Comments

Twilight's Rainbow - Kodeake



Twilight studies every move she makes. But sometimes she can only learn what she wants by expirience, and that's hard to come by with what she wants to know.

  • ...
8
 167
 5,275

Forgivness

Forgiveness

Twilight sat in her library, eyes switching between the door, her calendar, and her desk. On her desk sat a single, small strip of paper, on the calendar a day was marked with a red circle, the day just before had been crossed out. She sighed as her eyes switched back to the door, it was the only way to exit the library, and the only way she was ever going to get to Cloudsdale to see the Wonderbolts show Rainbow had told her to come to. She would say invited, but there was no question, she showed up out of no where, basically threw the ticket at her, and left out the same window she had crashed through.

At the thought, she looked up to the now-boarded window. It was covered in two simple wooden planks, nailed to either side of the window frame in a criss-cross pattern. Even she had to admit; the breeze that came through felt rather nice. Now, however, she had more important things to think about then her broken window, now she had to decide if she was going to give Rainbow a chance. Sure, while she was no longer mad at her, she wasn’t sure she had forgiven her, nor if she could forgive her.

It was a terrible feeling, knowing that she had, in part, caused it all. If she hadn’t made Rainbow choose, if she had tried harder to live with it; if she hadn’t been so selfish, this may not have happened. But now it was too late, now her actions had been taken and so had Rainbow’s, and now there was no going back. She had not left the library since Rainbow had come back the first time, not even her friends could get her out. When they came she would put on a brave face and answer the door, then she would convince them she was fine (even if most of them didn’t believe her) and close the door before they could argue. Then she would wait, she would lean her head against the door, waiting for the sound of hoof steps leading away from the door. When she could no longer hear them, she would wait another two minutes thirty seconds, and then she would start crying.

She would cry until she couldn’t cry anymore, and even then she wanted to cry more. They were just trying to help, trying to boost her spirits, but they always mentioned Rainbow Dash, and her name alone was enough to bring Twilight to tears. Not tears of anger, or of betrayal, but of regret. She had driven off the one mare she had ever truly loved, and because of that all her friends were mad at Rainbow as well. She had successfully ruined Rainbow’s life, all because she couldn’t live with seeing her less then every single day. She felt disgusting. And yet here she sat; Rainbow’s attempt at an apology or whatever she was going to do just a few hours away. And she didn’t know if she was going to go. It was her fault, and Rainbow was trying to make up for her mistake, and still Twilight wasn’t sure if she wanted to go.

By all accounts it was her fault; she should be begging Rainbow for forgiveness. She had caused everything, the only reason Rainbow did what she did was to make her happy. It was always all about her; she was just too blind and selfish to notice. She shook her head hard, forcing the thoughts to quiet, when her head stopped, she was looking directly at the desk, the ticket resting neatly on top.

With a flick of her horn she drew it closer, examining it in excruciating detail. With a firm nod she stood. Rainbow may be the one apologizing, but Twilight was the one that needed to. With that final thought floating in her mind, she turned to the door, a smile brought to her lips at the mere thought of seeing Rainbow again. She may never be loved by her again, and she may never be forgiven, but at least she could try.

-_-_-_-

Rainbow paced nervously back and forth, glancing out the arch every now and then to examine the crowd slowly growing the Cloudasium. Her diligent eyes scanned the crowd, her sight drawn to one specific seat in the middle of the arena. It was a seat that would give anypony who sat there the perfect view of her; of what she was going to do.

‘She will be here. All you need to do is follow the plan. Did you make the arrangements with the announcer?’ The familiar voice asked. A voice that had been with her almost constantly for the past two days. A voice that offered her forgiveness, a voice that she trusted completely.

“Yes.” Rainbow answered flatly, no emotion showing in her voice. To any who heard it she could have been a machine, it was hollow; lifeless.

‘Good. You will be forgiven, all it will take is your life, but you won’t need that anymore’ The voice was still as calm as ever, it’s calmness calming Rainbow’s pacing to a standstill.

“My life…” Rainbow echoed, staring at the far wall. After a few minutes of listening to the voice and staring at a wall, she finally looked back out at the crowd, the one seat she had been staring at for all this time was no longer marked by a white smear in the middle of the multicoloured crowd, instead it was marked by a brilliant purple. It was a purple she would recognize anywhere.

“She’s here!” She shouted, excitement filling her normally flat tone.

‘Excellent, now give her a show she will never forget’

-_-_-_-


Twilight forced her way through the last few ponies blocking the path to her seat; a smile graced her lips as she found her seat to be empty. As she sat down in the fluffy cloud she finally took a look around the arena, filled with pegasi of every age shape and colour. It was when she turned to get a gauge on how far back she was that she notice most of them were staring at her. Or, more specifically, her horn. Twilight glanced up at her horn, ensuring nothing weird had happened to it, but much to her relief and even greater confusion, it was fine. It took her another few moments to realize why they were staring at her.

“Guess it is pretty rare to see a unicorn up here.” She giggled under her breath, turning back around to face the space in the centre of the arena where the show would take place. While having half the arena staring at her was a little unnerving, she did her best to put it out of her mind. Instead she began thinking of her plan for apologizing. It would be a while until the show was over, but it never hurt to get an early start.

-_-_-_-

Rainbow’s wings stretched out from her side as she crouched into a take off position. To her left was Sorin and to her right stood Spitfire, next to her was Fleetfoot. All four of the main Wonderbolt squad stood crouched, readying themselves for the coming show.

“Welcome to the Cloudasium, tonight we are pleased to give you, the Wonderbolts!” As the announcer said their name they launched in perfect sync, flying out of the back stage area directly to the centre of the arena, taking a second to bank around to the perfect spot, they turned skyward. Rainbow’s wings pumped as she felt the adrenalin slowly seep into every fibre of her muscle. Her eyes were glued firmly onto the sky, the sun half way down, the perfect place so it wouldn’t get in their eyes.

Her attention snapped back from the sky to the crowd as they began there first warm up maneuver, flying above the crowd she spotted the lavender splotch without wings she had hoped to see. She was there, now all she had to do was follow the plan.

‘It will be fine’ the voice assured from somewhere in the back of her mind. She felt compelled to believe it, after all; she was the Rainbow Dash, her plans never back fired. The smile she always got when she took off wiped itself from her expression, steely determination taking its place.

-_-_-_-

Twilight watched the show with incredible focus, never once taking her eyes off the cyan blur trailing a rainbow across the sky. It tore at her heart, knowing that it was once her rainbow and cyan blur. It was once her mare that was up there now. ‘There I go again. My cyan blur. I’m always so damn selfish!’ Twilight scolded herself once again. This was not a time to be selfish, this was time to try and make it up to Rainbow. This was time to seek forgiveness.

As Twilight thought she looked up to Celestia's sun, nearing the horizon, the edge of it scraping along the very tips of the mountains, just barely visible over the rim of the coliseum. Sunsets were always beautiful, it made sense that the Wonderbolts would perform at such a time. The light from the setting sun always provided an incredible back drop to anything in the sky, that included four flying pegasi.

Twilight sighed as she returned her attention to the stunt team flying around. Barrel roles, dives, banked turns, loops, even some other tricks she didn’t know what to call. All of them preformed in perfect sync with one another. They trusted each other to stick to the plan, to hold each other up, to be there for each other. Something Twilight never was.

This thought brought a tear to her eye. They were closer then she ever was with Rainbow, Rainbow could never trust her again like she did the rest of her team.

-_-_-_-

Rainbow glanced nervously at the sun, rolling into the last stunt of the show. After this the other Wonderbolts would descend to the area backstage, expecting her to come with them, but instead she would stay. She would continue to fly, just for Twilight. Then she would begin her last trick, her last stunt as a Wonderbolt, the announcer she had made plans with would read out the letter she had given him. Nopony but her knew what was inside of it, not even the announcer would until he began to read it. All she had to do was stick to the plan while he read it. If she timed it right, it would be perfect. It would coincide with the setting sun and the end of the letter. It would be perfect. It had to be perfect. For Twilight.

Grinning at the thought, she pulled out of the final loop of the trick, all four Wonderbolts made there was to the centre for a quick bow. They did, and then the other three turned to the area back stage. Leaving Rainbow alone in the middle. It was time. Right on cue the announcer began announcing.

“Thank you all for coming out to watch the Wonderbolts! This is the end of the official show, but I have been requested by Rainbow Dash to read you a letter while she continues her flying.” This was met with a collective, puzzled murmur from the audience, but Rainbow just shrugged it off as she stared directly at Twilight.

‘Go! Now!’ the voice hissed, snapping her back to reality. She still had something to do. With a powerful flap of her wings she took off, going straight up as her letter was read to the crowd. As the announcer read it she recited it in her mind, timing her actins with her words for it to be perfect.

“I, Rainbow Dash, had something that many ponies crave. Many ponies wanted what I had, but only a few would ever truly have it. I had love.” Rainbow reached the lip of the arena and still continued going higher and higher, Equestria spread out far below her.

“I found it in a pony that is in this very arena, a unicorn with a lavender coat. Her name is Twilight Sparkle. We both found love within each other, and we were happier then ever when we were together.” Twilight raised a hoof to her muzzle to stifle a gasp. Never before had she imagined Rainbow could ever write something so… mushy, for lack of a better term.

“But then I was accepted into the Wonderbolts, and I could only see her for two to three days a month. We tried to make it work, but in the end it didn’t. All loving me did was force her to be alone when I wasn’t there, which is something I can never forgive myself for.” Rainbow could no longer hear the announcer, or the sound of the audience, all she could hear was the wind. As she read the last line in her mind she stopped, hovering momentarily and looking down at the tiny dot the arena was before beginning her dive.

“So she gave me a choice; her or the Wonderbolts. I will never forget that day. That was the day I made the biggest mistake of my life; I chose the Wonderbolts, my dream, over Twilight, my love.” A collective gasp of shock echoed around Twilight. She couldn’t do anything but watch as the cyan speck began getting closer and closer to the arena. The rainbow trail slowly growing larger and clearer as she gained speed.

“I will never forgive myself for what I did. I betrayed not only her, but all my friends, all because I was too selfish to make a real choice. I abandoned her because I wanted my dreams too come true. No good would ever come to her for loving me, and yet she did.” A cone of white formed around her as she dove forward, the sun beginning to set behind her. In a flash of colour her speed nearly doubled, she was still miles above the arena.

“I can never make it up to her. I can never truly be forgiven, and because of that I can never be loved again, nor can I love. She was the only one I could love, and I ruined it.” Twilight stared in awe with the rest of the crowd at the rain boom miles above the stadium. The words providing a saddening backdrop to her thoughts.

“I ruined all of it, and now is my only chance to make things right.” Rainbow sped past the Cloudasium in the blink of an eye, a thick rainbow trailing her descend towards the earth.

“But I didn’t know how. I had no idea how to make things right. But now I do.” The ground was rapidly approaching now, filing her vision completely.

‘Just a few more seconds, and you will be forgiven. You have done well’ the voice said, the ground approaching ever faster.

Before Rainbow could process what the voice had said she pulled up, levelling off within seconds. After a moment of going straight she pulled up more, going back up towards the arena.

‘No! What are you doing! Your life is the only thing you can give to be forgiven! Do you not want to be forgiven?’ The voice screamed inside her head, making her cringe at the volume.

“My life is mine to decide when it will be given, not yours.” Rainbow thought defiantly, the ground receding, as was the voice.

‘You still have time! Turn back down now and you may still be forgiven!’ the voice sounded desperate, begging and pleading with her to end it all. Without another thought Rainbow came up beside the Cloudasium, the audience roaring at her sudden return. She waited until she was at the perfect height the levelled off and began to circle the outside of the arena.

“Now I know how I can make it up to her. When we last spoke you told me you loved me. I took that to mean that you no longer did. And I may be right, but I still want to make it up to you. I want to be forgiven.” Rainbow completed one loop of the arena, and then angled herself up, coiling her rainbow trail around like a spring.

“I hope you can some day forgive me, that some day I may forgive myself.” Her trailed formed a semi-transparent shell around the arena, the colourful stripes wrapping around in a hemisphere.

“To begin the healing, I have dedicated my final trick in the Wonderbolts to you.” Rainbow neared the top of the shell, nothing but a tiny gap remained. She looked back to the sun; it was in the perfect position.

“My last stunt as a Wonderbolt; Twilight’s Rainbow.” As she completed the shell the sun moved into position, refracting against her rainbow trail in the perfect light; the light of twilight. The oranges and purples of twilight mixed with her rainbow trail and passed through into the arena, the blank white clouds the perfect canvas for the brilliant light. It shifted slowly with the sun and the rainbow shell as it began to slowly dissipate in the wind.

The crowd ‘oohed’ and ‘awed’ at the sight, but there was one mare who was not smiling at the beautiful display. There was one mare who was not dazzled by the artificial rainbow light. There was one mare who was crying. There was one mare who had forgiven another.

Author's Note:

And here it is! What is effectivly the final chapter of Twilight's Rainbow. There will be at least two more (one to wrap up the plot, and probably an epilogue) and it will be finished. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Any comments go in the comments section (as if you couldn't figure that out) and any feedback is welcome.