• Published 13th Sep 2011
  • 21,354 Views, 576 Comments

Double Rainbow - theworstwriter



Rainbow Dash is behaving strangely, and Applejack is very confused.

  • ...
27
 576
 21,354

Chapter 18

“Alright, Scoots. We’ll do it this afternoon, I’ve got some stuff to take care of first. How about you go to Twilight’s place and study up a little first?”

Scootaloo nodded her head vigorously and took off on her scooter at an impressive speed, leaving Rainbow Dash with a smile. Not much later, she burst into the library and flung herself head first toward the lavender unicorn on the other side of the room.

“Twilight! IneedbooksaboutflightrightnowpleasehurryIneedtolearnhowtofly.”

Twilight stared off into space for a moment, visibly trying to process something. She mumbled a few bits of nonsense and some seemingly random numbers before shaking her head and coming back to the real world.

“I’ve actually already got three really good books set aside that I think will help you a lot.”

---------------------------------------------------

“Come on now, Rainbow, y’all can do this! Ah know ya can!” Applejack held Rainbow Dash’s hoof.

“AJ, you know I love you and you know I’d do anything for you and you know I love you but THIS ISN’T FAIR. YOU DID THIS TO ME AND YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO TOUCH ME AGAIN. Are we CLEAR?”

“Crystal, sugarcube.” She brushed Dash’s sweat soaked mane out of her eyes. “Ah love you.”

“WHAT DID I JUST SAY?”

---------------------------------------------------

A light more brilliant than Celestia’s sun exploded across the sky. The crests and sigils pulsed with energy. In the middle of it all, Rainbow Dash broke free of the feeble bonds of the laws of physics and smiled. On the ground below, Twilight Sparkle saw her plan coming together and smiled. Someplace lacking a distinct location in space or time, a cackling mare saw her plan coming together and smiled.

When an object passes the speed of sound, an incredible shockwave blows out from the point where it happened and an accompanying BOOM can be heard for a great distance. When an object passes the speed of light, physics gets mad at you because you can’t do that. Physics throws a temper tantrum that sends out shockwaves many orders of magnitude greater than those accompanying a sonic boom. Had this not been part of an incredibly elaborate undertaking, Ponyville would likely have ceased to be in the wake of the blast.

The immense energies were necessary. Unless in a perfectly frictionless environment, anything in motion will slowly bleed energy into the materials it passes by. If only given one initial push, the further something is meant to travel the more energy it needs at the kickoff. Twilight smiled inwardly at her ability to solve any and every problem that had been thrown her way lately. ‘How did that energy get back there’ indeed.

---------------------------------------------------

Twilight Sparkle didn’t understand. She didn’t want to believe it, but there was little room for doubt. Every prediction had come true. Even the impossible ones. ESPECIALLY the impossible ones. It was with this knowledge and this lack of understanding that she sat waiting. Her horn emitted a dull glow as she spread a thin aura all about her and let it sit. She could wait. Time clearly wasn’t important anymore. She would sit and she would wait and when the opportunity presented itself she would move. She would take the chance she had been given, and she would understand. She would use her new knowledge to make everything right. It would take a tremendous amount of magic, and if even if she could still muster up the strength to teleport back she wasn’t sure it would be possible. Everything would be different back there. She’d been taught that, and while she didn’t understand it, she did believe it.

Twilight Sparkle would see the crack forming and she would go back there. She would get behind the curtain and she would clean everything up. And if she couldn’t come back, that would be a sacrifice she’d be willing to make.

---------------------------------------------------

Scootaloo stood over the broken pony, scowling down at her. The mare’s eyes quivered in fright. Her limbs were useless and the pain was too intense to focus on her magic. She had won. The game was over. She had cornered every piece, and there wasn’t anything left that could have been used against her. So how? How had this happened? Why was she bleeding? Was she going to… to die? She turned her head toward Twilight.

“HOW?”

“Like I said. One element fell through the cracks. And I do mean that in the most literal sense of every one of those words.”

“I WATCHED ALL OF YOU… FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END OF THIS NONSENSE. THERE WERE NO LOOSE ENDS. I KEPT A PERFECT WATCH OVER EVERY LEAP. WHEN DID…” her breathing grew more ragged and the volume of her voice diminished, “when did she get here?”

Twilight Sparkle smirked. “I just told you. I know we can accomplish amazing things when we focus on our studies, but it is important to stop from time to time. To look around you. To smell the roses. To be with your friends and to think about the future. To understand that actions have consequences.”

“Do you know how utterly RIDICULOUS it is for YOU to lecture ME on causality?”

“It’s not the slightest bit ridiculous. You never once considered the repercussions of your actions and the effect they would have on the ponies around you. All you ever paid attention to was keeping events flowing in their temporally correct order, regardless of what that meant.”

“I thought it meant keeping Equestria ALIVE! I know I was wrong now, and that’s why I was trying to FIX EVERYTHING! YOU OF ALL PONIES SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT!”

Scootaloo stomped a hoof next to the mare’s head. “You’re so DUMB! She’s not trying to tell you what you did was wrong! She’s just trying to tell you that an event doesn’t magically stop affecting the world as soon as it’s been wrapped up in a paradox-free bow! Just because all the stupid loops and cracks and branches have been taken care of doesn’t mean something is over!”

She turned to look up at the angry orange pegasus, and for the first time in a long time (she really thought she had moved beyond such linear thinking), she was confused. “I still don’t understand… where did you come from? How did you arrive here without me knowing?”

“Jeez, you must be really dense. Twilight already told you! I FELL.”