• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 10,271 Views, 478 Comments

All That Glitters... - Comet Burst

  • ...
33
 478
 10,271

Act 2, Chapter 3

Diamond Tiara grinned widely as she stared at herself in the mirror, the new tiara sparkling on the crown of her head. It was securely nestled into her voluminous mane, rising above the rolling locks of purple and white like the Crystal Palace in the frozen North. She was dressed impeccably, wrapped in an evening dress of beautiful royal purple silk impregnated with diamonds of every size and shape. The slim and sleek fit of the dress accentuated her curves gently enough to not be raunchy, but tightly enough to be sure to catch a few glimpses.

She batted her eyes, throwing the most seductive smile she could at the mirror to gauge how well the ensemble worked. Her eyelids were the same color as her eyes, a brilliant shade of sky blue, while a liberal amount of mascara had been applied to her long eyelashes, forcing them to be long and thick. The edges of her eyes sparkled with diamonds that ran down to her cheekbone. Her smirk seemed to shimmer in the light, the barely noticeable lip gloss reflecting off of them.

Even though she had been planning this night for years, Diamond was still blown away by how well her outfit came together. Everything was simply perfect in every way, down to the most minute thread. All the elite of Equestria would turn to notice her and be stunned by her elegance, but she didn't really concern about their attention. Spike would be there and, if Diamond knew anything about her favorite scaly friend, he loved gems, meaning he shouldn't take his eyes off of her. A warm spot grew on her cheeks, hidden well by the blush she had already applied.

"Wow, Diamond. You look absolutely amazing." Silver Spoon said in a stunned voice. Breaking her attention away from the mirror, Diamond turned to see her friend standing behind her, eyes wide and mouth hanging open. A warm smile crossed her muzzle as she lifted a hoof to touch the side of her head.

"You really think so?" She asked a bit timidly. While she was certainly confident about her appearance, it was still something else when her best friend was blown away by her looks.

Silver nodded furiously, her shimmering mane whipping about behind her in a long and intricate braid. She was dressed in a similar fashion to Diamond, exuding elegance and beauty through the simplest means. Her trademark sky blue horn rimmed glasses were replaced by a specially made cat eye set, colored the same royal purple as Diamond's dress, but the scalloped edges had swirls of sliver throughout them. The dress she wore could possibly be considered liquid metal as the bright silver material shimmered smoothly without transition points of any kind.

Diamond smiled warmly to her before responding. "Thanks, Silver. You look really nice as well."

"I still can't believe it, though. We are finally going to the Grand Galloping Gala!" Silver squealed and jumped excitedly from hoof to hoof.

"I know! All the most famous ponies will be there!" Diamond shrieked as a wide toothy grin spread actoss her muzzle, the calm demeanor she was sporting lost in an instant.

"We will meet Spitfire, that dreamboat Soarin', and the new Wonderbolts!"Silver rattled off.

"Don't forget Photo Finish and Hoity Toity!" Diamond chimed in.

"And then there's Trenderhoof and —" Silver spoke before taking a deep breath.

"THE PRINCESSES!" They shouted in unison before giggling and squealing like little fillies again. After a few moments of gleeful bliss, Diamond forced herself to calm down. While she was excited beyond belief, this was a party to impress the nobles and celebrities, not act like a fanfilly. She put her smile away and donned a much more serious face that had quite the sobering effect, causing Silver to calm down as well. Her nose rose into the air and she closed her eyes, playing the role of an elitist.

With a practiced flick of her hoof, Diamond waved in the general direction of the door. "Shall we proceed, Ms. Silver?"

Silver picked up on the cue instantly. She responded by following suit and donning the same expressions Diamond did, her nose in the air. "I believe we should, Ms. Diamond."

Together, the two best friends strode gracefully to the door and onward towards the Gala that awaited their presence.


Down at the Gala, the low rumble of conversations seemed to drown out the slow but wonderful music that the band played. Canterlot Castle was dressed just as impeccably as the guests, sporting only the best it could offer. Long, beautiful magenta curtains embraced the crystal clear windows, leading down to the spotless black and white checkered floor. The marble white walls seemed to shine in an almost unreal way while the gold accents reflected the scenes with their mirror polish.

All around the castle, ponies of every caliber strode and spoke to one another, many famous faces mixed in among some not as easily recognized. Trenderhoof, the pony of fashion he was, seemed to search out styles he particularly enjoyed and made some notes after speaking to the bearer of such fashion for his next article while some ponies like the Wonderbolts seemed to cloister themselves together, waiting for others to approach them by enjoying small talk among themselves.

The true focus of attention, though, was Princess Twilight Sparkle, who donned a nervous smile. She was outfitted in the most spectacular dress made from the essence of glamour. It was a simple dress of two colors, the pink and purple stripes of her mane, layered over each other with the pink being the top layer and the deep purple being the accent color. It started from an elegant collar, the two-toned fabric outlined by a gold edging that housed a flawless amethyst cut to resemble her cutie mark. The rest of the dress followed her back down to tea-length skirt that hid her tail, the hem wrapped in gold as well, forming small fluer-de-lis's that sparkled due to a small sapphire housed within them. Her front legs remained completely uncovered, as did her chest and sides to allow her wings room to move. To compensate, Twilight donned a set of golden slippers that wrapped up her front legs like a ballerina's. Her mane was styled in a way that would make Princess Cadence jealous; the bangs hanging down naturally while the length of her mane was wrapped into a tight but slightly messy looking bun, the two being separated by her elegant crown.

Trailing along behind her was Spike, who had decided not to dress up and be fancy tonight. Instead, his stomach growled loudly as his green eyes looked about the crowd, each and every jewel glimmering with an unusual intensity. Most of them were small, just barely big enough to be noticeable, but some of them were large enough to be considered a meal for him. His mouth went dry as he forced himself to look away, but every time he did, more of them caught his eye.


It didn't take long for anypony to notice Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon at the Gala. Shimmering from head to hoof, the two of them strode elegantly up the steps to the castle's entrance, almost parting the crowd. Awed stares and some jealous looks surrounded them, making Diamond want to put on more of a show. She strode slowly up the steps, commanding the general populace through her and Silver's sheer presence. Once the two reached the entrance, Diamond was sure that tonight was going to be the best night ever.

"What they hay are those two doin' here?!" Came a twangy voice Diamond Tiara would recognize anywhere. Spinning around, she easily found the source of the voice standing amid the crowd, glaring at her with blazing orange eyes. Eyes going wide with fear, Diamond spun around and tried to push out the thought that her dear rival, the hick known as Apple Bloom, was here.

"Oh great, now the whole party is ruined." The musical voice of Sweetie Belle rang out, adding to Diamond's horror. If the two of them were here, then that meant—

"You've got to be kidding me! We finally get to come to the Gala and THEY show up to ruin everything!" Scootaloo shouted.

Yup, all three of the Cutie Mark Dorks were here. This night instantly went from utterly amazing to horrific in about ten seconds flat. Steeling herself, Diamond put on her best tormenting smile and spun to face Apple Bloom, grinning wider when she saw all three of them standing there in the least elegant dresses she had ever seen. Apple Bloom wore what was obviously a hand-me-down from her Granny Smith, covered in horrendous lime green polka dots and white frills everywhere. Scootaloo looked no better, wearing what looked like a flightsuit more than a dress. Sweetie Belle was the only one who looked even remotely close to elegant, but she had evidently designed the dress herself and had thought it a good idea to pair opals with a brown dress.

"Oh, look at this, Silver." Diamond spoke in her almost sarcastic way. "The Gala does give to charity."

A snort escaped from Silver, who covered her mouth to hide the laughter brewing behind it. The trio glared back, wanting nothing more than to make them leave.

"Just remember, Diamond," Scootaloo growled, "We didn't have to suck up to the Princess to be invited."

Diamond hid her growing ire well behind the smile.

"Oh, that's right. I'm sure being a member of the Wonderbolts got you in, Scootaloser. Does cleaning the bathrooms at the Wonderbolt Academy qualify you as a one of them nowadays?" Diamond snickered as Scootaloo's face went bright red, but she kept going before anypony could stop her. "And Sweetie, how nice to see you've taken the rejects of your sister's designs. It really does her line justice when siblings take the fall for them."

Sweetie looked down at her dress, a confused expression gracing her features when Diamond turned to Apple Bloom, ready to put the troublemaker of the group down for the night.

"Apple Bloom, it's been too long." She began.

"Can it, Tiara." Apple Bloom growled.

"But why? You are obviously the only one qualified to be here. I mean, fixing up a barn is such an accomplishment, it should be mentioned next to Princess Twilight saving the Crystal Empire with your sister." Silver chimed in, sidling up to Diamond Tiara with the same smug smile.

"Don't ya'll dare talk about mah family." Apple Bloom spat, anger lacing her voice.

"Or what?" Diamond interjected. "Is your aunt Cheerilee going to put me in detention again because you can't stick up for yourself?"

She and Silver Spoon broke down into a fit of giggles as they sauntered off, leaving the trio fuming silently behind them. Together, they entered into the Gala, shimmering like small stars. Almost all the attention turned to them, fluffing their already overflowing egos. Almost every stallion in the room leaned over to eye them, many sporting interested grins. Diamond paused for a few seconds and allowed her beauty to sink in before she began to walk through the crowd. The duo didn't make it far before the first stallions tried to impress them.

"Can I interest you in a drink?" Came the smooth voice of the stallion. He was a faded pastel blue color with a wavy white mane, dressed in a thick red overcoat. He offered a small glass of bubbling liquid to her, as if this was a practiced move. Diamond glanced at the flute of sparkling gold champagne, eyeing it with concealed derision. She didn't like drinking what all the other less spectacular ponies had. No, she always got the best, and this certainly wasn't it.

"You know," she began in her almost pleading tone, "I think you might be holding out on us. I really would love a taste of what Princess Celestia is drinking."

The stallion's eyes went wide and he withdrew the flute, determination written on his face.

"At once, ma'am." He spoke swiftly with a small nod.

Diamond grinned before flicking her head towards Silver Spoon. "Don't forget one for my friend as well."

The stallion practically ran off, leaving the duo to giggle at each other while they moved through the rest of the crowd. There were so many famous ponies to talk to around them, but Diamond was determined to see one special guest before she mingled with the best of pony society. Luckily for her, he was easy to identify due to his height and green frill.

Diamond weaved through the crowd, eliciting a few whistles and comments from the many ponies around her, but she paid them no attention. Her thoughts were focused on the one goal she had been building up to for years, a secret desire that only Silver Spoon knew about. Spike had given her a look that Hearts and Hooves Day that Diamond had pined for since then, and now that she was as elegant as she could be, it was her chance to get him to look at her the same way again.

Eventually, Diamond stopped just short of where Spike was, her nerves starting to get the better of her. Darker thoughts began to pester her, throwing doubt on this moment. What would she do if Spike didn't give her the same look as he did that day? She had set up everything so well, covering herself in diamonds and dressing like a princess, but Spike was a whole other deal. A soft hoof prodded her from behind and she turned to see Silver smiling sincerely at her.

"Go on," she whispered, "He's all alone right now."

Diamond took a deep breath and threw a small hug to her best friend before turning to Spike. Steeling herself, she trotted up behind him and forced herself to speak.

"Spikey, I'm here." She said in her smoothest tone.

The drake turned around, a confused expression on his face before it was washed away with awe. The emerald eyes Diamond liked turned the size of dinner plates and his jaw hung open, staring as if she was better than Princess Celestia. Relief and excitement coursed through Diamond as she felt her blush begin to show through her make-up.

"What do you think, Spike?" She asked.

He gave no answer other than a gurgle from his stomach.

"Spike?"