• Published 25th Jan 2012
  • 27,618 Views, 348 Comments

Lyra's Human - pjabrony



Yet another in the increasing Lyra-meets-with-a-human subgenre

  • ...
112
 348
 27,618

Chapter 8 - Decision

I walked outside, unaware at the time of the nature of my parole, only the fact that Lyra, again proving herself the smarter of the two of us, had achieved it. I bottled up any anger I had about being turned to stone without a chance to defend myself, as if I was to get out of the pickle we were in, I couldn’t afford to bear a grudge.

Turning to face Celestia and summoning all my courage, I bowed deeply, saying, “Hail, Celestia, princess and graceful ruler of Equestria and protector of ponies everywhere, from the land of humans I greet you.” It occurred to me that, although I’d seen ponies bowing their heads, perhaps leaning backwards might be the proper genuflection, offering the heart to be gored rather than lowering the head to be chopped. But I was completely improvising anyway.

“Stay back and do not touch us,” said Celestia. “I have restored you out of mercy, but you are dangerous and should leave our land as soon as possible, never to return!”

“Pray tell, your highness, how am I dangerous? I mean no harm to you, or to any of your ponies, or to your land. To come to Equestria has been a dream of mine.”

“Nevertheless you are dangerous.” She turned to the crowd of ponies. “Hear me, Ponyvillians! If humans are allowed to enter our lands, they will invade and take over! They will place bits in your mouths and reins on your necks. They will make the pegasi, who fly free, yield them the sky for machines that send out clouds of smoke. They will steal the crops of the Earth ponies for themselves and force your great strength into service on their wheels. Unicorns will be made into servants, if indeed they allow you to live for fear of the magic they do not understand and cannot imitate. Shun them! They do not know friendship and harmony as we do, only greed, war, and selfishness.”

It was a powerful indictment of my people. I could see that most of the ponies, used to trusting Princess Celestia, were beginning to stamp and paw at the ground in anger at me. I could not sway the crowd by defying her, yet I needed desperately to have them listen. As quick as I could think, I decided on a verbal judo approach—use the princess’s momentum in my favor.

“Fillies and gentlecolts,” I began. Why wasn’t it, ‘mares and gentlestallions’? Not now, you fool! Focus, or you’re banished and then thrown into a dungeon in the place she banishes you to. “Princess Celestia is right to be afraid of a human invasion, though not for the reasons she has said. My world is a place of ills and troubles, many of our own making. But Equestria has its troubles too. You have dragons and manticores, you must ward off spirits of chaos and threats of eternal night, and you must struggle each year to grow enough food to feed yourselves. Humans would come here offering to eliminate these threats, and we could! We have weapons that could tame the Everfree Forest in a week, and technology that could feed all the ponies forever. And we would offer them in a fair exchange for your help in weather control”—here I gestured toward a group of pegasi that had crowded together—“and for beneficial spells.”—pointing toward a gathering of unicorns.

“And that is why humans are dangerous, not because they will harm you, but because they will tempt you! You must resist, because it would not rid Equestria of its problems, it would only weaken and soften you. Nopony would go hungry, but you would grow fat and founder with laminitis. You would not be attacked by dangerous creatures, but you would lose many of the valuable herbs like those Zecora collects. And though you would believe you had made your lives better, your great-grandfoals would curse your names for not giving them the same beautiful world you live in.”

Celestia had a satisfied look on her face. It seemed like I was making her case for her. I paused to give her a chance to respond, but she seemed like she was quite willing to have me continue. And even though I was never much for debate, I felt I had what might be a trump card.

“No, our worlds must never commingle.” I walked over to Lyra and put her hoof in my hand. Her eyes were beginning to well with tears, as what could she think but that I was saying good-bye? “But I am not my world, and each pony is not Equestria. Both of our worlds have their own troubles, and we can’t make them go away. All we can do is to bear them.

“And the only way that any of it can be bearable is with friendship and love. This dear, sweet mare brought me here, not out of greed or selfishness, but because she had love to give, even though not to a pony. And I want to stay with her among you, neither to hurt nor to tempt you, but because I want to be your friend. . . and because I love her.

“Perhaps none of you feel as she does. You may not be curious about another race or fascinated by my different limbs. But would any of you refuse a friend? There are thousands of humans back from where I come who would give all they had to soar with a pegasus among the clouds, or to come to a party with ponies, or to tend the flowers and small animals with you, or to study the lore of your world at your side.

“I’m not asking for free congress between ponies and humans. But won’t you please consider making friends with one?”

By this time, around Celestia had gathered her best-known advisers in Ponyville, whom we call the Mane Six, and she turned to them.

“Well, if I remember right, one of Miss Heartstrings’s request was that I consult with other ponies. What do you think?”

Twilight Sparkle spoke first. “You sent me to this town to find friends. You never said to limit myself to ponies.”

Applejack said, “Shoot, ah don’t see that humans can really be so bad! Never yet met a critter’ll turn on you if yer nice to it.”

Fluttershy came next. “I guess all that stuff’s pretty scary. . . but it would break Lyra’s heart if we said no.”

Rarity looked down at her hooves. “Well, I don’t know that it’s proper to associate with such boors, but I suppose there’s nothing wrong with being a social climber, and if I were cursed with being a human, I’d certainly want ponies to be friends with me.”

Pinkie Pie said, “Humans have funny-looking faces!” Twilight stepped in front of her and said to Princess Celestia, “She means yes.”

Rainbow Dash turned her head away. “Heck, no! They’re strange and scary and Lyra’s just a freak for her weird obsession!”

Fluttershy flew over to her. “You mean you’re scared of the humans too, Rainbow?”

Her multicolored mane flew behind her as she turned back. “I’m not scared of anything! You just bring those humans on, I’ll fly rings around them!”

Twilight stepped closer to the princess. “Well, I think we’re unanimous.”

Murmurs from the crowd started to take on a more positive tone. The six ponies were respected in Ponyville for all they’d done, and the others seemed amenable to listening to them. A few of them actually inched closer as if to see if I smelled right.

Princess Celestia looked at Lyra and me. “It seems that the ponies of this town are willing to give you a chance. I won’t force you to leave now.” My heart rose, and if Lyra was still crying, it was with joy. The princess continued, “But I will be keeping an eye on you and I want everypony here to do the same. If there’s any trouble with you, I’ll transport you myself and I might not be too careful about giving you a soft landing.”

“Thank you, your majesty! It’s all I can ask, but it’s all I ever wanted.”

Lyra cantered over to the princess. “Your highness, I’m sorry I blew up at you before. I. . . I really don’t mind if you call me your little pony.”

For the first time that night, Celestia smiled. “I forgive you, dear. Maybe the next time you break the barriers between worlds though, you’ll give us a heads-up.”

She gestured to her guards and they all flew off into the night. From all around me I could hear the crowd starting to break up, though I wasn’t watching. I only had eyes for Lyra.