• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 27,233 Views, 1,916 Comments

My New Life in Equestria: Helping Has Its Ups and Downs - HAZESHIFT



Waking up in a tree usually doesn't mean its gonna be a good day...today on the other hand I find it to be the opposite...at least in the short run as i find myself in a world of ponies

  • ...
138
 1,916
 27,233

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13: Best Night Ev...SHUTUP BLUEBLOOD!!!

Chapter 13: Best Night Ev….SHUT UP BLUEBLOOD!!!!

Twilight and Dan had finally gotten their feeling out in the open and found out that they had each been thinking out the other. They had kissed and with the accompaniment of loud enough music had started to dance to their new relationship. And meanwhile they were completely unaware that there was a nice size group of ponies watching them from the shadows of the entrance to the balcony. Some chatted amongst themselves while others just stared on at the dancing couple.

“See I told you he would kiss her first; humans always make the first move!” Lyra said turning to and looking to the three ponies of varying heights.

“Well Lyra I guess you are right…” Bon Bon said a bit displeased, she never likes losing; not to say she was a sore loser but she just didn’t like it.

“Tis true then; I guess I owe you ten bits then Ms. Heartstrings.” The medium sized dark blue Alicorn said to the smiling unicorn mare in front of her.

“Darn it Luna that’s the last time I take your side in a bet” Celestia said grumpily next to the two other mares.

Meanwhile Rainbow Dash and Applejack were talking to Twilight’s parents about their thoughts on how their daughter was now dating a member of a completely different species. Surprisingly they were ok with it.

“So Mr. Night Light it looks like Twi and the big guy are now an item…and that doesn’t bug you that she’s not dating an actual stallion?”

“Well you might think so Rainbow but one of the things most ponies don’t know about me is that I once dated a griffin.”

“Seriously!!!” Rainbow’s eyes nearly popped out of her sockets as Twilight’s dad told a little of his past.

“Yeah it’s true; and the breakup of that was how Velvet and I met.” He said looking of into the distance.

“Um I don’t mean to be rude but I knew a griffon once; did you and Twilight’s mom meet when she came to tend to your wounds?”

“Rainbow! That’s not something nice to say.” Applejack admonished her friend before noticing that Night Light now had an even bigger smile on.

“Well Applejack I wouldn’t be upset she is half right.”

“Half right” the pegasus pony and the earth pony said at the same time as they gave the unicorn a dubious.

Night Light laughed at their looks before putting a leg over his wife and pulled her into a hug before speaking again. “Yeah it is true when I broke up with the griffon she beat me up quite good. But then the weirdest thing happened; while I was on the ground this cute unicorn filly came by, saw me, got upset, and proceeded to literally mop the floor with my griffon ex girlfriend.”

Rainbow Dash and Applejack both looked to Twilight Velvet who smiled and nodded; and then looked back to Night Light with their mouths hanging open in shock and surprise.

“And then after she finished; she came over and gave me first aid. And after I was standing again I asked her on a date; and from there…well I think you know the rest of the story.”

“Wait...” Rainbow came out of her shock to interject. “So if Twilight got her flank kicking skills from you…” Rainbow pointed to Velvet.

“And her love of checklists.” Velvet added.

“Right. So if she got all that from her mom. Then what did she get from you?” She asked Night Light.”

“Most likely her love of Astronomy. Which in the long run helped her figure out the whole “Nightmare Moon returning” thing; so I think I can live with that.” Night Light said puffing out his chest a bit as to look proud.

“Oh honey.” Velvet playfully gave her husband a shoved and laughed.

Within hearing distance of that small group was the only three ponies left that were still watching Dan and Twilight dance. Two of them were probably the only ones who foresaw the connection between the human and the pony; while the third stared at the dancing couple with a protective glare. He talked to the other two without moving his eyes.

“…How long…”

“Shining dear; you are going to have to be a bit more specific… and stop staring at them it’s getting kind of weird now.” Cadence said to her husband.

“How long have you…and you too Rarity; how long have you guys known about them? About how they might have felt about each other and if they could be a couple?” there wasn’t any anger in his voice; just a bit of curiosity.

“Well Shining I believe it may have taken me a bit longer than your wife; depending on how you view it.” Rarity spoke up first. “When Dan first got here he paid us many nice compliments; and some of them were just to make us blush too. I did slightly notice how he always put a little more “je ne sais quoi”* into what he said to Twilight. If your wondering how I noticed; it’s because part of my job is to pay attention to the details; I see the little things in a lot of what ponies do. SO from time to time I could see that Dan was putting just a bit more effort into what he was doing or saying to Twilight. And then there was when we found the in bed cuddled up together; they looked so perfect like that. I swear it was one of the cutest things I have ever seen; and I seen all three of the Cutie Mark Crusaders giving me puppy dog eyes all at once.” Rarity unloaded a nice amount of info for the royal couple.

“But I’m guessing you had an easier time deducing it than I did; right Princess Cadence?” Rarity turned to the princess with a smirk.

“Hmm out of the six of you Twilight may be the smartest; but I think you give her a run for her money on who would be the cleverest.” Cadence gave Rarity the compliment she deserved before continuing. “Yes being the Alicorn of Love did give me help in this; I sensed something during the party they had for Dan after the carriage factory incident. And I know I haven’t really been there to see what Dan has done and said but I can tell that they have been thinking about each others. With my powers I have been able to sense them in Ponyville and for awhile I could see that their interests in each other has been growing nicely plus there were also two other things that gave me a definite conclusion.

“Two other…you don’t mean…?” Shining said looking like he had just realized something.

“Yes dear, the letters that Dan sent.”

“But how did they help you?”

“Well I can sense love like other unicorns can sense magic; or like how Rarity can find jewels. From the time we first got those letters I could feel Dan’s love coming off them. And not just his love of being funny or sarcastic but it was his love of who he was writing about.”

“Hmm… Fine I guess I’ll accept him for now… But I’m going to be keeping an eye on him, and make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid.”

“Stupid in general or stupid within in regards to your sister?” Rarity asked.

“Wow Cadence is right; you are pretty clever.”

Farther off from the group of ponies; the pony and the human that they had been talking about had finished dancing and were now sitting on a bench quietly talking to each other.

“So do you feel better now Twilight?”

“A little dizzy from all the spinning; but yeah I’m fine.”

“Well that is how you dance to a waltz.”

“Oh you know what I mean.” Twilight said giving him a playful shove.

“Yeah but it’s just so fun to push your buttons…” he said leaning in towards her. “It makes you look so cute.”

“You’re incorrigible.”

“”And you like it.” He said before giving her a kiss to stop her from retorting. They staid like that for what seemed like an eternity to them before breaking apart. They stared at each while they kept talking.

“So do you think that they noticed that we noticed that they are standing in the shadows by the entrance watching and talking about us?” I asked her trying not to give away anything.

“Probably not, but my question is how they got Pinkie Pie to be quiet this long?”

“Duct tape probably.”

“You think they would go that far?”

“Rainbow Dash once snuck into a hospital to steal a book rather than ask you so no one would know that she actually liked reading.” I said with a deadpanned expression.

“Touché”

“Gesundheit.” I said trying to be funny. “One more kiss before we go face the masses?”

“I don’t see any problem with that.” She said with a coy smile that made me happy.

A minute later we headed back to the entrance and heard the sound of hooves shuffling.

“We’ve known that you guys are there; I wouldn’t bother hiding.” I announced to the group. Slowly but surely they made their way out of hiding places; even Celestia and Luna had tried to hide. All of our friends and family encircled us and gave us their blessings about our relationships. Shining Armor and Cadence were the last to talk to us.

“BBBFF are you okay?” Twilight asked him noticing a little sadness on his face.

“Yeah Twily I’m fine it’s just… I guess I’m just trying to getting used to seeing you grow up; and having to deal with it rationally.”

“Oh Shiny.” Twilight said giving her brother a hug. “It’s okay I know from experience that sometimes we can get a little…out of hand.” She said remembering a certain incident with a certain stuffed animal. V

“And now maybe your special somepony…er human can help you out in those situations.” Cadence chimed in to the two hugging siblings.

By this point Shining was out of his little funk and smiling like he normally did.

“Your right Twily; I hope you and Dan are going to be happy…although there is one thing that still bothers me.” He said letting go of his sister as he moved back to his wife’s side.

“What’s that?” Twilight and I said at the same time; wondering what he could be thinking about.

“That last kiss did seem kind of long.” I could see his big brother sense perking up again; and unfortunately fort him he hadn’t learned how no to step into me making a joke that would turn on him.

“Well I will tell you this Shining; I was not the one using tongue.”

“And with that everyone stopped and looked to me and Twilight. Looking to my side I could see my new marefriend looking mortified. Within seconds all her friends were surrounding her asking her questions while she vehemently denied everything. Meanwhile here brother had gone into a semi-comatose state and was on his back with all four legs stuck in the air and eyes stuck wide in surprise.

I laughed for a good couple of minutes before my breath ran out and Twilight finally got away from her friends and came over and punched me in my side.

“Dan…WHY DID YOU DO THAT!!!”

“Twilight I’m sorry. I can’t be held responsible for every time your brother happens to walk into a punch line. Plus I think if you look you’ll find that Cadence thought that it was funny.

Twilight looked over to see he sister in law trying hard to stay on her hooves while laughing; her parents and also the princesses were in the same situation. But before she could say anything else it turned out that Pinkie had finally gotten he duct tape off of her mouth.

“OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH!!! DAN AND TWILIGHT ARE A COUPLE NOW ITS SO EXCITING I CAN’T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I WAS THIS EXCITED AND I’VE BEEN TRYING TO SAY SOMETHING BUT I HAD TAPE ON MY MOUTH SO I COULDN’T BUT DO YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!!!” all that energy that had been stored up by her not talking was released ; but thankfully I thought quick enough to head her off.

“Pinkie I think that if you take a look around that we are already at a party so we can’t have another party right now for me and Twilight.

“Hmmm I guess so… SO that mean I’ll have to do it some other time; now back to the party!!!” she said speeding back into the castle and letting her friends follow her. Twilight and I started to follow but were stopped by Celestia and Octavia.

“Dan, Twilight I don’t wish to intrude on your night but it appears that we might have a small problem.”

“What’s the matter Princess?” I asked. It didn’t seem like something major since Octavia happened to be with us.

“Well it appears that one of the musicians has had an accident and cannot perform.”

“What kind of accident; is anypony hurt?” Twilight being a caring soul asked of her mentor.

“No nopony is hurt it is more of a…messy accident. But the thing is; he along with Ms. Octavia and the other musicians were supposed to perform to close out the gala and well…”

“Now you can’t which means you would like some help from someone musically inclined; like me?”

“It is always good that you are quick on the uptake Dan.”

“Thank you Celestia; and I think I already may have a solution to your plan. I’m going to need an electric guitar, a drum set and a drummer, some amps, and…Octavia you wouldn’t happen to know how to play a bass guitar would you?”

Several minutes later…

A big crowd of ponies was gathering at the main stage within Canterlot Castle. It was near the end of the night and for many regular ponies it had been fantastic. Some of the stuffy nobles had even had managed to enjoy themselves too. It was to be said that at least two highlights of the night were when the mysterious human had entertained many with music from his land that had seen as every word from astounding to supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. And now even as ponies gathered at the stage had heard rumors that the human known as Dan might be making a third performance.

Many ponies looked to the section of area where the princesses, the royal couple, the elements of harmony, and the group of friends they had brought along were all sitting and relaxing a bit from the festivities of the night. But the human was no where to be seen with them.

After a couple of more minutes the curtains to the stage finally opened; and all the ponies in the room were surprised to see what they did on stage. Usually the last music act of the Grand Galloping Gala was more classical music. But instead upon the stage ponies could see Dan the human who looked like he was wielding an electric guitar for some reason, as well as the renowned cellist Octavia who was working out how to use an electric bass guitar for some reason, the DJ Vinyl Scratch was also holding another guitar with her magic and behind them was a unknown pony who gave a bit of a crazy smile while sitting at a drum set who was somehow twirling a pair of drum sticks with his hooves. He looked pretty normal except that he had a pretty long brown mane which hung form his head and also connected to his beard and mustache facial hair combo. All around the stage though were a bunch of amplifier like Vinyl Scratch had used during her performance.

Then after a minute of fiddling around with some of the amplifiers the human walked towards the mic positioned direct center at the front of the stage. Tapping it a couple of times to make sure it was working; the human then addressed the crowd

“Hello Grand Galloping Gala!!! I bet that you were not expecting this. It turns that that one of the musicians for the normal closing music performance is not doing so well and will not be able to perform tonight. Now seeing as how I’ve done two performances tonight, one being classical music and the other being electronic. I thought that this would be a good opportunity to show you my favorite kind of music.” I checked to make sure everypony on stage was ready; which they were. “And it all starts with a history lesson.

I started playing the guitar like I should and soon enough we were off into the first song.

In the beginning
Back in nineteen fifty-five
Man didn't know about a rock 'n' roll show
And all that jive
The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news
He said -
"Let there be sound," and there was sound
"Let there be lights," and there was lights
"Let there be drums," and there was drums
"Let there be guitar," and there was guitar
"Let there be rock"

I let my finger do the talking for me when I wasn’t singing. From quick glances that I could manage I could that many ponies were surprised at what I was doing. They had never seen or probably heard music like this. Then again no pony had fingers to play; although I thought that Lyra might be able to with her magic. But I pushed it out of my head and concentrated on playing the music

And it came to pass
That rock 'n' roll was born
All across the land every rockin' band
Was blowing up a storm
The guitar man got famous
The businessman got rich
And in every bar there was a super star
With a seven year itch
There were fifteen million fingers
Learning how to play
And you could hear the fingers picking
And this is what they had to say
"Let there be light"
"Sound"
"Drums"
"Guitar"
"Let there be rock"

I checked to see that everyone else on stage was able to keep up and sure enough Octavia and Vinyl had learned pretty quickly. As for our drummer I could see that he was having the time of his life. He played those drum like he was in some kind of percussion nirvana

One night in a club called 'The Shaking Hand'
There was a forty-two decibel rocking band
The music was good and the music was loud
And the singer turned and he said to the crowd -
"Let there be rock"

The end of the song came quickly and I let the guitar do most of the talking and started simply shredding the last of the notes. Everyone managed to get to the in a symphony of noise like it should be and we stopped to catch our breath and wait for the crowds reaction.

It was completely silent for about five seconds before the applause and noise we got was almost as loud as our playing. There were cheers, whistles, and screams all coming our way; and I think that a couple of mares threw their girders towards me on stage. I looked to Twilight from my position on stage and saw she was a bit upset about that fact so I simply swept them offstage with my foot and got ready for the next song.

“Well I’m guessing that you folks liked that huh? Well this next one goes out to a mare that’s very special to me…and in fact if you’re here with your own special somepony keep her close guys while we do this next one.

It started out a lot slower than the first but gradually built up into the first part of the lyrics.

Hello
I've waited here for you
Everlong

Tonight
I throw myself into
And out of the red, out of her head she sang

I strummed out that familiar rhythm on my guitar as I kept singing.

Come down
And waste away with me
Down with me

Slow how
You wanted it to be
I'm over my head, out of her head she sang

I looked straight at Twilight before the next words came out of my mouth. I hoped she would get the message

And I wonder
When I sing along with you
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

The only thing I'll ever ask of you
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when
She sang

Breathe out
So I could breathe you in
Hold you in

And now
I know you've always been
Out of your head, out of my head I sang

And I wonder
When I sing along with you
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

The only thing I'll ever ask of you
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when
She sang

Going into the last verse I closed my eyes and just let everything flow out; I didn’t think I could mess up now anyhow

And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

The only thing I'll ever ask of you
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when
She sang

Like last time the ponies cheered us and this new kind of music they were hearing; I could also see that the group was having a good time listening to this too; before I started the next song I asked Rainbow to quickly fly to the stage and hand me something. She arrived in two seconds and handed me a pair of jet black sunglasses. I thanked her and watched her get back to the group’s are within three seconds.

“Alright everypony I can see that you definitely want some more; but this song is going to be a tad different; but I can guarantee you that it is going to be at least…” I put on the sunglasses before finishing. “two hundred percent cooler.” Some groan, laughter, and cheers followed my bad joke but I didn’t let me affect me as I got into the mindset for my next song

I dropped the pitch on my voice to sound a bit deeper as I started singing.

Rumour spreadin' a-'round in that Texas town
'bout that shack outside La Grange
And you know what I'm talkin' about.
Just let me know if you wanna go
To that home out on the range.
They gotta lotta nice girls ah.

Have mercy.
A pow, pow, pow, pow, a pow.
A pow, pow, pow.

I picked up the guitar playing like the first song but there was a different quality; it seemed more refined and emotional.

Well, I hear it's fine if you got the time
And the ten to get yourself in.
A hmm, hmm.
And I hear it's tight most ev'ry night,
But now I might be mistaken.
Hmm, hmm, hmm.

Ah have mercy.

I loved playing this guitar solo cause it just sounded so nice to hear the notes coming from each separate string. By the time we finished the crowd was still as pumped from the last song so I thought it would be best to get into the last song a bit quicker.

“Alright everypony this is the last song of the night and it’s kind of like one we did before. But don’t be afraid to let your hair down and simply rock out.

The song started fast and stayed that way all the way through I could tell that the three ponies behind me were a bit tired but would manage through this.

What have we done with innocence
It disappeared with time
It never made much sense
Adolescent resident
Wasting another night on planning my revenge

One in ten
One in ten
One in ten

Don't wanna be your monkey wrench
One more indecent accident
I'd rather leave than suffer this
I'll never be your monkey wrench

All this time to make amends
What do you do when all your enemies are friends
Now and then I'll try to bend
Under pressure
Wind up snapping in the end

One in ten
One in ten
One in ten

Don't wanna be your monkey wrench
One more indecent accident
I'd rather leave than suffer this
I'll never be your monkey wrench

Temper
Temper
Temper

I hit the part of the lyrics that I loved to sing in this song; I took in a nice amount of air stopped playing the guitar and let Vinyl handle it; I stepped up to the mic closed my eyes and started basically screaming the lyrics while banging my head up and down to basically every other word.

One last thing before I quit
I never wanted any more than I could fit into my head
I still remember every single word you said
And all the shit that somehow came along with it
Still there's one thing that comforts me
Since I was always caged and now I'm free

Don't wanna be your monkey wrench
One more indecent accident
I'd rather leave than suffer this
I'll never be your monkey wrench

Don't wanna be your monkey wrench
Fall in Fall Out
Don't wanna be your monkey wrench
Fall in fall out
Don't wanna be your monkey wrench
Fall in fall out
Don't wanna be your monkey wrench

The song ended with me breath less and hoping that I wouldn’t have to stand for much longer cause all that entertaining had worn me out a bit. Unfortunately this was the point where something happened. After the applause had stopped and the other three performers had walked off stage Prince Blueblood walked on stage and started to verbally abuse me. Turns out he had being drinking a lot since I saw him last and was now quite drunk.

“Wow that was the worst noise I have ever heard; I can’t believe these commoners are letting you stand on his stage right now.” He turned to the crowd who I could see was starting to get angry at him. “You peasants actually liked that? No wonder that none of you have what it takes to be civilized.”

He kept talking for awhile but I really wasn’t listening; I looked over to where Twilight and the group were. I could that some of them were getting pretty angry, and so was the crowd from the glances I got. It was about when I saw some pony hold up a tomato that I came up with an idea.

I held up my hand to quite the crowded that had started to boo Prince Blueblood.

“You know what Prince Blueblood; you may have a point.” I saw surprise coming from many faces including my marefriend who hadn’t expected me to do that. I gave her my trademark grin to show her that I knew what I was doing as I spoke again.

“But Prince if you want to speak you have to stand in the right place to do it.” I said giving him a shove in a direction. After a minute I managed to maneuver him in front of the biggest amps on stage. “Alright now just stand right here.” I said backing away slowly. He stood there stumbling a bit on his hooves. I backed up quite a bit grabbed my guitar with my left hand and held my right hand up. I put three fingers up and silently counted down from three with to the crowd. On three I brought my hand straight down through the strings and made the loudest noise I could. The sound came out of the amp that Blueblood was standing in front of. It completely blew him off his hooves into the air. He sailed through the air for what seemed like a minute before crash landing in a chocolate fountain.

The crowd cheered as if it was some kind of stunt that you would see at a Wonderbolts show. Twilight made her way to the stage as this went on. Once Blueblood had landed and the cheering was done I turned to her gave her a quick peck on the cheek and turned back to the mic.

“That’s all we have for you ponies tonight; I hope you had a great Grand Galloping Gala, and GOODNIGHT!!!”

After that I looked to Twilight. “Best night ever?”

She stared at me before smiling. “Yeah I guess it was.”

Author's Note:

*je ne sais quoi: an intangible quality

AND THE GGG IS NOW OVER!!!! oh btw the drummer is basically Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighter/Nirvana; he is basically my favorite drummer cause he is pretty dam good

so i got 30 follower now which is awesome...and at time of writing 199 favorites.....almost....but after this it should be 200
i'm finally glad i got some rock into this story...it is possibly my faorite genre of music....but so far i haven't gotten any beatles music into here....another time another place

anyhow as always thanks to my readers, faver, follower, and likers

ALSO SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!: my editor MrAnybody is back and he is mass editing all my chapters that havent been done yet...which is like all of them besides 2 so prepare for not shitty grammar i hope....AND FOR ALL OF YOU WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT MY GRAMMAR I WILL SY IT ONE LAST TIME...I FREAKING KNOW OK I HAVE A PERSON WORKING ON IT SO BACK OFF!!! PLEASE...

PreviousChapters Next