• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 852 Views, 8 Comments

Dragon-Hearted - Marion330



A elder dragon finds his family ambushed and his children taken. Nearly killed by manticores, a chance meeting intertwines his fate with another. Taking shelter secretly in ponyville, will he save his family, and at what cost?

  • ...
2
 8
 852

The Road

Another sharp pain lashed out from the malicious green wound left from the magical crossbow bolt. It was gone, but its magic still lingered. Even the walk to the tree house the children used as a headquarters was a hard endeavor. Atticus had made it halfway to the tree house before he had to stop and regain his strength.

His wings still felt as if they were on fire. The muscles would occasionally lock up as well. The magic of the dart had shredded his wings on contact, and pieces of the membrane still hung dead from his wings. Why he wasn't healing properly also confused him. The girls had carefully bandaged him, yet his wounds refused to heal. Sweetie Bell even had asked Twilight if she could borrow some healing spell books, hoping her slowly blooming magical strength could perform one of the weaker ones.

"Ok Scootaloo, let's get moving again. I think I can manage the rest of the way." Atticus' muscles groaned in protest, but he got up on all fours anyways. He was glad to be out of that barn. He had grown stiff sitting in such a confined space for so long.

"Applebloom and Sweetie Bell should have moved some of the stuff around so you will be more comfortable," Scootaloo said. Atticus enjoyed the company of the little filly. She reminded him of some of his family member–

Atticus stopped, and Scootaloo did the same when she realized her scaly patient had stopped. He shook his head slightly and closed his eyes. Scootaloo could tell he was in pain, but whether from the wounds or some other source she was unsure.

"Are you OK? Do you need to rest again?" Scootaloo's voice was worried.

"Scootaloo, is there anyway I can send a message around here? Like mail?" The dragon's voice wavered, but held strong.

Scootaloo thought for a moment, "I could ask spike to send your letter to the Princess. Then she could send it."

"Who is spike? That doesn't seem like a regular pony name."

"He is Twilight's pe-" Scootaloo stopped herself and looked for a better choice of words. "Twilight's dragon assistant. He's still just a baby though."

"I would like to meet him," Atticus looked at the small creatures that played amongst the trees. This was a very peaceful place much different form his home. The green trees and bright flowers such a huge contrast to the barren landscapes and lava-flows that he was used to.

"I think he said he wanted to meet you too. Being he has only lived around ponies his entire life. He really wanted to talk to you about what it’s like in the dragon homeland."

"I would love to share stories of home with him, but sometime later. I must first send a letter to my kin about what has transpired here. I also wish to send a message to Celestia. There may be more going on in her land then she is aware," Atticus began to walk along the road again.

"Like what?" Scootaloo walked backwards, facing the crippled dragon.

"Nothing too important. I just wish to thank her for not booting me from her country."

'And some other recent events,' Atticus thought to himself.

Scoots ran slightly ahead and opened the gate to the orchard. Atticus slowly followed the pegasus in between the trees, careful not to get stuck or uproot one because of his size.

He then saw the small house built within the branches of an old apple tree. Applebloom and Sweetie Bell waved from the small porch that extended out from all sides of the clubhouse. Scootaloo ran and joined them on the balcony, and Atticus wandered up next to the tree. He raised his head to be slightly above the level of the railing that ran the length of the porch.

"It’s a nice gesture, but I don't think I will fit."

"We knew you were going to fit. We made a plan that we would rotate days camping out and taking care of you until you got better," Sweetie Bell cheerfully responded.

"So who will be staying tonight?"

"Uhhh, we all wanted to camp out with you today. Sooooo...all of us?" Applebloom answered.

"OK then, It's almost noon. Why don't you little ones go and eat while I find myself a comfortable spot to sleep tonight?"

"OK!" the Crusaders responded. The three fillies made their way back to the farmhouse as Atticus wandered off into the trees to find a place to rest.

_____________________________________________________________


SLAM

The dragoness rebounded of the magical barrier that kept her away from her hatchlings.

One of her smaller captors stood guard outside the field, toting his crossbow at the ready.

Well, the griffin was sitting at card table. His crossbow was on the other side of the room. And he was asleep.

The Dragoness attempted to melt the walls of her magical prison, but her fire only resulted in a high pitch squeal as the magic held. The griffin awoke flipping over backwards as he fell of his chair.

"Must you really be so LOUD?" The griffin questioned. The dragoness didn't dignify him with a response, but instead seared the magical barrier again.

A voice caught the griffon's attention, "Finch! Get in here for the debrief"

Finch's mind wallowed in self-pity, 'Really? Another one?'

The griffin retrieved his crossbow and meandered to the temporary brief room that had been set up.

He met up with one of his comrades before he reached the debriefing.

"Hey finch, did you hear that we have a new contact this time?"

"No. Did you?"

"It’s just a rumor, but I think it’s true." The pair of griffons walked into the briefing session.

A large griffin stood at the front of the room next to a radio. The larger griffon held up his claw and the room became silent. He hit a button on the radio, and a voice began transmitting.

The voice on the other end seemed stressed at a very high level. "Hello friends, I have to congratulate you on your successful capture of the Lady Dragoness and her hatchlings."

The being on the other end made a slow clapping noise for a second or two...

Then broke into a rage. "Do you feather-brains Listen to ANYTHING I say?! I said capture the WHOLE family. INSTEAD you tried to kill one. You heard me right, TRIED!! The damned dragon is still alive someplace near Sweet Apple Acres. You imbeciles have ONE chance to recapture that dragon before you screw up anything else! If that dragon tells anyone in power about what happened, there is 0% chance they will join the war on our side. GET. ME. THAT. DRAGON! Cut me out Blackwing."

The large griffin shut off the radio and pulled down the screen as the lights dimmed. The projector in the back of the room turned on as the griffins went over their battle plans.

_____________________________________________________________

"I don't know Spike, he's still not in the best of shape. It may not be the best idea to go out there and pester him." Twilight returned the book she had been skimming through to the shelf.

"But you have to go to Applejack's anyways! What would be the harm of me coming along?" Spike groveled on his knees. Clasping his claws together in the hopes Twilight would let him go.

"I don't know, that's the problem." Twilight pulled another book from the shelf. A book she knew to contain many healing spells, and the counter-spells to block them. It was a ghastly subject, but she had to know why she and Fluttershy had such a problem healing their new dragon friend.

"Please Twilight!" Spike begged, scooting across the floor towards her on his knees.

"Oh fine! You can go tomorrow morning. Just don't bother Atticus too much. Please?" Twilight caved to the dragon’s relentless puppy-dog eyes.

"Yes!" Spike leaped in the air and hugged Twilight.

Spike bounded up the stairs to the bedroom, and Twilight buckled down for a long night of research.

_____________________________________________________________

A dragon and three young fillies laughed as all four told jokes and made fun around a small campfire. Atticus' loud, booming laugh almost deafening compared to the three fillies shrieks and giggles.

"And now we always call Scootaloo a chicken," Applebloom said.

"At least I'm not referred to as a dictionary," Scootaloo scoffed.

Atticus was laughing so hard, a tear ran down his cheek and landed directly on the fire. The tear was large enough to extinguish the fire, and the girls stopped and stared expectantly at their dragon patient. Atticus sat for a moment, then realized what he had to do. He breathed fire on the small pile of damp sticks and the fire burned again. The campout resumed, and it went on deep into the night.