• Published 14th Jan 2013
  • 27,744 Views, 1,611 Comments

The Monster Below - Greenback



An earth pony seeks to transform himself into an Alicorn, but how far is he willing to go to get what he wants?

  • ...
42
 1,611
 27,744

Countdown

Four days ago, I lay on the floor in Beakbreaker's apartment, sobbing at what I thought was a dead dream. I didn't want to believe it, thinking there had to be a way to bring it back, but I couldn’t do it there. I had spent countless hours at Medicomp's headquarters trying to fulfill my dream, but I couldn't stand to spend another minute there.

I ran from the apartment, down the stairs, and out the lobby, ignoring the shocked ponies around me. It was early evening outside, and there were crowds eagerly heading towards Manehattan's entertainment district to enjoy the nightlife. None of them were expecting to see a celebrity running past with bleeding shoulders, and many shouted in surprise as I knocked them out of my way.

I reached my old apartment building a few hours later. The landlord was caught off guard by the gates slamming shut, but was even more surprised to see me, as we hadn't talked in over a year. His confusion grew even bigger as he saw the blood across my back, but I demanded a key before he could ask any questions. Once I got it, I ran up to my old place; it hadn't changed since I had last been there, except for the thin layer of dust and cobwebs that draped the furniture and my belongings.

Slamming the door shut, I locked it, needing to barricade myself away from the world. I shoved the sofa, chairs, and anything heavy against the door, then closed the blinds and drew the curtains over the windows before stapling them shut.

I wanted to work, to come up with a new plan to restore what had been taken from me. But my heart wasn't in it. Instead, I took a hot shower, washing away all the sweat, grime, and blood, and wishing it could wash away the worst day of my life.

***

Three days ago, I woke at noon. Sixteen hours of sleep had helped to heal my body, but had done nothing to dull the sting of losing the wings. I didn’t even have the will to get up. What was the point? Was I just supposed to stroll into work with a smile on my face and a spring in my step? Screw Medicomp. Screw everything. I just wanted to lie in bed and never leave.

But fate wouldn't let me off the hook so easily.

It took me a few moments to realize that I hadn't woken from an alarm, but from the sounds of a mass commotion outside. I tried to ignore it, finally gave up, and looked outside the windows.

There was a crowd of ponies gathered around the base of the tower, a mix of curious onlookers and what looked like reporters. There were several pegasus ponies circling the tower, and I made the mistake of meeting the gaze of the closest one, who shouted out, “There he is!”

The other pegasus ponies swarmed towards my window. I yanked the curtains back into place as the photographers yelled questions, demanding to know why I didn't have wings anymore, and why I had fled Medicomp. I would have ignored them, but I wasn't in the mood to deal with anyone, much less loudmouth reporters. Grabbing a trashcan, I threw the window open and chucked old garbage onto the closest photographers, slamming the window shut as they yelled in surprise and disgust.

I retreated to the living room. That surge of anger had jolted my system, and I figured the best thing to do was to pull myself out of my funk and come up with a plan of action, something to get me going. I took a sheet of paper and a pen, scribbled down ideas on where I could go from there... or rather, I tried to, because I couldn't get a single idea. Nothing came to mind, as if my mind was refusing to work with me.

The shouting from outside died down, but then moved to outside my door, with the reporters pounding away, demanding to get a scoop. How they got in, I didn't know (they probably paid one of the neighbors to let them come in through the window), but they didn't take the hint to bugger off. Pulling the barricade away, I yanked the door open, and was greeted by a blast of flashing light bulbs.

“Mr. Silverspeak, why did you-”

“Buck off!” I shouted, slamming the door. But they still didn't get the hint, pounding away until the landlord and a few police officers (who had probably been called from angry neighbors who couldn't stand the noise) arrived and escorted them out. The landlord knocked, asking if I was okay, but I didn't answer. They all finally left, and I finally had silence once more.

Sleep didn't come that night. Every time I shifted, my scabbed shoulders would ache, and when I did manage to doze off, I would feel my wings and eagerly wake up, only to find that they were still gone. I was livid; I knew it was the phantom limb effect, but it seemed that in my darkest hour, even my brain was turning against me, as if mocking me for what I once had.

***

Anyone who entered my apartment two days ago would have found me with ragged skin, bloodshot eyes, and an exhausted face. When noon came, there was the knock at the door, and something slid underneath it. I found it was a copy of the morning's paper, along with a large envelope. Ignoring the envelope, I took the paper and read it over, dreading what I might find. And sure enough, the front page headline was about how Medicomp's spokespony had been seen fleeing from the company building with bloody shoulders and missing wings, complete with a blurry photo snapped by a visiting tourist who had just happened to see me running. Then came reports that I had been found at an old apartment building, where brave and heroic reporters had risked their lives to get a statement from me, only to be viciously attacked (a statement corroborated with a photo of me tossing tomatoes onto them, and angrily yelling at the camera from inside the building).

Wondering if I could sue the paper into oblivion for misinterpreting what had happened, I continued on. Rumors were flying that I had gone psychotic from some drugs Medicomp was illegally giving me, or that the pressure of being a celebrity had caused me to snap and lose my mind, or possibly both, or that even the wings had driven me mad. Unable to get a response from me, the press had turned to Medicomp for answers, demanding explanations as to what was going on. Coin Counter had given a press conference on the tower's steps, admitting that yes, I had a problem with my wings, but they were the result of an undetected infection, and not a problem that was inherent in all the implants. But should any patient, current or former, wish to come in to have their transplants checked, they were welcome to do so, free of charge.

The report included several questions from those in attendance; one reporter had asked if it was possible that Beakbreaker was the one responsible for what happened, and Coin Counter had immediately said no, that her work had been checked again and again, and found no problems at all. But when asked about what she was doing about all this, Coin Counter said Beakbreaker was currently on leave due to personal issues, and refused to elaborate any further.

There was more to the article, but I didn't want to read anymore. Things were spiraling out of control, and I needed to focus, not obsess over what the world thought of me.

I had just tossed the paper away when I remembered the envelope. A quick glance revealed that it had the Medicomp logo on it. My stomach felt like it was going to fall out as I tore it open and took out a single sheet of paper. An official document less than a page long was never a good sign.

I was right.

Dear Mr. Silverspeak, the letter began. This letter is to inform you that you are hereby called before a board meeting of Medicomp management with regard to the incident involving your wings, and information given during an altercation with Beakbreaker. During this meeting, we will inform you of our right to bring legal action against you due to damage of company property, drugging of three company employees, and emotional harassment (including manipulation and lying) of both management and our employees.

Should you not appear at the scheduled date and time, we will consider your employment with us to be terminated, and utilize additional legal means to obtain restitution for our grievances.

The meeting was scheduled to take place two days later. Just enough time to let my mind run rampant about what the company was going to do. It certainly couldn't be a coincidence that whoever had written that letter had made the term, “legal action” as vague as possible. They wanted me to squirm, so that I'd be a nervous, whimpering wreck when the date came, especially at the thought of facing the police, no matter what I did.

I dropped the letter and ran to the bathroom, where I threw up.

***

One day ago, I awoke feeling even worse then the day before, with a throbbing headache and an equally aching stomach. I should have spent the day resting, but my curiosity got the better of me, and I read the morning paper, hoping that it would have some good news for once.

It didn’t. Despite his press conference, Coin Counter hadn't alleviated Medicomp's woes. Its stock and income had dropped drastically overnight as stockholders jumped ship, not wanting to be associated with a company whose spokespony had lost his mind, and started a panic among customers who feared that their limbs were infected, and might kill them, or drive them mad.

Stocks weren't Medicomp's only woes. There were reports of rallies all across Equestria, with communities and towns celebrating me losing my wings. Interview after interview had them saying nature was finally punishing me for my pride and self-righteousness.

I had my first real glimpse of happiness in days at the thought of meeting those ponies and caving their faces in.

Rallies, protests, Medicomp facing ruin, and the letter... It was as if the whole world had gone crazy. But what plunged me into a full-on depression was knowing that it was all my fault. I had been the one to push Medicomp into getting wings; I had set everything in motion. Worse still was the realization that I couldn't fix it. I couldn't talk my way out of this situation like I had the others. No matter how many press conferences I attended, or how many public apologies I gave, nothing would get better. The letter from Medicomp had basically informed me that my career there was over. The company was going to inevitably announce that I had been let go, and reveal what an emotionally manipulative pony I had been all along. They were going to publicly shame me as a warning to others. Oh, I had enough bits in my bank account to keep up the rent on the apartment for a good long while, but nobody would hire me after such an revelation.

Then there was Mangus. He was no doubt he was waiting for me to be publicly dismissed from Medicomp before twisting the knife and revealing what I had done in the library. That, more than anything else, would destroy any chance I had at ever getting my life back together.

I needed help, and there was only one place I could go. It was the last place I wanted to call, especially after all that happened, but I didn’t have anyone else to turn to.

Taking the phone, I dialed a number and waited.

The line clicked.

Hello?

I closed my eyes. “Mom?”

Mom was silent for a moment. “Silverspeak?

“Mom, is Dad there?”

Yes, let me get him.” There was a pause. “He's here.

“Mom... You've been reading the paper, haven't you?”

Yes, we have.

“Then you know what's happened.”

A pause. “Yes.

“Mom... Dad... I... I need your help.”

Silverspeak, come back to us. Stay here until things calm down. We'll-

“No Mom,” I said. “I can't.”

Yes you can. You need to recover from what's happened. Try to-

“Mom, they're going to fire me,” I said, almost choking on the words. “I got a letter from the company. They're going to press charges on me for what happened.”

Charges? Silverspeak, what are you talking about? You haven’t done anything illegal.

I could just visualize my mom and dad looking at each other, wondering what in Equestria I was talking about. And I could imagine the horror and disbelief they would feel when word got out of what I had done, and that I was the library’s thief. I couldn't bear to have them learn it that way. And if I was going to get their help, I needed to tell them everything.

I took a deep breath. “Do you remember the library incident? When someone tried to get into the forbidden section?”

Yes, but what does that have to do with this?

I gathered all the courage I had. “Mom, Dad… That was me. I was the one who did it.”

There was no reply.

“I broke in because I wanted to find any spells I could use to become an alicorn. I thought I got out without being spotted, but I was. Mangus is planning to reveal that after I'm fired, and when he does the cops are going to come after me.” I stopped for a moment, trying to slow my pounding heart, wiped away the sweat pouring down my face. “I... I wanted you both to find out from me, not the press. But now I need your help. Please.”

There was silence on the other end.

“Mom? Dad?”

Silverspeak... your father wants to speak to you.

The phone was passed. “Silverspeak?

“Dad?”

Silverspeak, listen very carefully. If you want to make things right, there's only one thing you can do.

“What?”

You need to accept responsibility for what you've done. You need to go to the authorities and turn yourself in. Your mother and I are going to take the next train to Manehattan so we can be there with you, but if you want to get through this, you have to come clean.

“What? No, I can't do that! I broke into a public library! I tried to steal priceless books! Do you know what they're going to do to me?!”

The truth is going to come out. It's not a question of if, but when. The sooner you do this, the better it'll be for everyone.”

“No Dad, no. I can't! I just can't! I can't go to jail!”

This is the only way, Silverspeak. We all have to eventually face our mistakes, no matter how painful it is. Now yes, you will go to jail, but you'll be out within a few years, probably less. And when that's done, you can go back to your life and start over again.

I shook my head. “No. No, I won't go! I won't!”

My father sighed. “Silverspeak, I know you're frightened right now, but this will look better if you reveal it yourself, rather than Mangus. It'll reflect well on you, and the judge will take note of it.

“No!” I said. “I'll find another way! I'll-”

Silverspeak.” My dad's tone said he wouldn't he swayed by pleading or begging. “What I'm about to say hurts me far more than you will ever know, but I care for you too much to throw your life away like this. If you don't accept responsibility and turn yourself in, then I will go to the police and tell them myself. I know you may hate me for it for the rest of my life, but so be it. I won't let Mangus smear your name. Do you understand me? Silverspeak? I said, do you under-

I slammed the phone onto the hook with such force that the unit was ripped from the wall.

My own father, willing to betray me and put me in jail. I never would have thought he'd be capable of doing such a thing. My call to the only ponies who could help me had only made things worse.

Beakbreaker had betrayed me. Medicomp, the world, and my parents had turned against me, and I felt like a condemned inmate watching the clock, knowing that his final judgment was fast approaching, and that there was nothing he could do about it.

I backed against the wall, clutched myself as tightly as I could, trying not to have an emotional breakdown.

I had lost everything.

I didn't know what to do.

***

A storm began to gather over Manehattan. It had been building over the past few days, but it was only that evening that it began to make landfall, the dark, roiling clouds blocking out the sky. And as day turned to night, it grew so dark that even the soft, golden glow of Manehattan’s skyscrapers failed to penetrate it. Rain began streaking down the windows.

I ignored the rain, too focused on my own misery to care. I felt empty, like I would never feel happiness ever again. But as the rain came down harder, I began to watch it. With all the water coming down, it occurred to me that the city would be clean in the morning, the dirt and grime all washed away.

And then, just like that, it was like a switch had been flicked.

While ponies would grumble at being forced inside by its presence, the rain had its part to play in the grand scheme of things. The water gave life to the earth, but to do so, it had to wash away everything covering the soil. Perhaps, I thought, life was like that. Even in the midst of chaos, there can be blessings if you know where to look. When everything you care about is gone, when your dreams are dead and washed away like so much trash, everything seems to come into focus. You realize how petty and pointless so many things are in the grand scheme of things. And in that moment, you realize what truly matters in life.

The whole world was against me. Fine. I could live with that. Medicomp was against me. I didn't care. My parents were going to turn me over to the police if I didn't do so first. I understood that they were only doing what they believed to be right.

They all thought I was the problem. But they were wrong. They were the problem. Every pony in Medicomp was the problem. All the ponies on the streets, my parents, and all the ponies in those towns and cities that celebrated the loss of my wings were the problem, not me. They were all idiots, weak-willed whelps who didn’t have the vision I did. They didn't have dreams like I did. My dreams had changed the world, and they were frightened. They were trying to destroy me.

I smiled. Let them try. Let all of Medicomp's lawyers try to bury me. Let Mangus spill his secrets to the world at large and see what good that did. Heck, let my parents try to stop me from fulfilling my purpose.

I chuckled. Idiots, all of them. And the more I thought about it, the funnier it seemed. They had all done me a favor and didn't even realize it. In taking everything away, my enemies had made me realize what truly mattered... my dream.

All my fears and worries were washed away like dirt in the rain. And in an instant, everything was now so clear to me. There would be no more running, no more cowering, and no more fear. There was only one path before me now, one that would have terrified me years ago, but now was easy to follow. I could do what others told me to do and obey their pitiful little rules, even as they tore me apart. Or I could forge my own path, and make my dream a reality.

In all their folly, Medicomp, my parents, Mangus, and all those who celebrated my downfall had forgotten one important thing: When you take everything away from someone, you’ve just made a dangerous enemy.

After all, who fights harder than someone who has nothing to lose?

***

I was calm upon waking this morning. Clouds still blocked the sun and sent rain down upon Manehattan, water streaking down the towers and my window as I took a pair of empty saddlebags and left my apartment, beginning the final leg of a journey that had started so many years ago, when my parents first told me about alicorns.

There were no ponies outside as I left the tower, and few in the subway. I had a car to myself, watching rain streak past the windows as I was carried along. It occurred to me that this trip was similar to my break-in at the library. But unlike last time, there was no doubt or worries that I was making a terrible mistake.

When the subway stopped, I disembarked and made my way to Medicomp's headquarters. The guards in the lobby were surprised to see me, as was the secretary at the main desk.

“Can I help you, Mr. Silverspeak?" she asked. "Your meeting with Coin Counter isn't scheduled until noon. Should I let them know you arrived early?”

I gave her a reassuring smile. “No. I'm just gathering my things.” Walking past her, I headed up the stairs, noticing a guard pulling out his walkie-talkie as he went behind a pillar. No doubt the guards had been placed on alert to watch out for me. It would make my task more difficult, but not impossible.

A security camera followed me as I turned a corner. I gave it a pleasant smile as I entered the elevator and headed up, reviewing everything I knew about the tower's security system, and, more importantly, the fastest routes to the rooms I needed.

Half an hour ago, I made my way to the surgical floor. I was aware of the security cameras following me as I strolled around, glancing inside the main operating amphitheater. It didn't have what I was looking for. The second one did.

It was difficult suppressing my smile as I headed back to the elevator.

I arrived at my office. There, I packed what few belongs I kept on my desk and in my cabinets. Little Celestia was last; her eyes met mine as I put her in the bag. Long ago, I had made a vow that I wouldn’t do anything illegal to obtain my dream. But I was wiser now, more knowledgeable about how the world worked, and that vow needed to be broken.

It was still hard to avoid Little Celestia's gaze as I put her in the bag, buckled it shut, and took a deep breath. It had been easy going so far.

Now came the hard part.

***

Taking the elevator once more, I got off at the secure storage depot. It was one of the few areas in the tower I had never visited, leaving me in the dark as I headed down the steel hallway. This was the riskiest part of my plan, where even a small screwup could have disastrous consequences.

There was a thick, plexiglass door at the end of the hall, through which I could see an airlock. Before the door were two of Mangus' cronies.

“Can we help you?” one of the guards asked, amused at my presence.

“I'm here for my horn.”

“Sorry, don't know what you're talking about.” He smirked, as did the other guard.

“The horn I retrieved in Saddle Lanka," I said. "It is my property, and you have no right to keep it from me."

The guards looked at each other and chuckled. “Alright buddy, if you say so.”

I tried to keep my blood from boiling over as the guards unlocked the door. I followed them inside, and the three of us passed through the airlock, and then into a massive room filled with earthquake-proof shelves, each holding countless safes and secure containers.

Going to a list mounted near the door, I searched for the most recent addition to Medicomp's collection of rare and valuable goods. I found it at the top, listing one safe as holding a horn of historical and medical significance. Going to the crate with the corresponding number, I pulled it from the shelf, set it down, and opened it.

The horn of the Cursed King was inside, nestled among thick padding.

Smiling, I tenderly lifted the horn and took off my saddlebags.

“Whoa, buddy,” the main guard said. “Where do you think you're taking that? That's company property.”

“No,” I said. “It's mine.”

“Medicomp says otherwise.” The guard took out several pieces of paper. “Captain Bluehorn told us you might be coming through here, so he dug out your contract with the company.” He gave an exaggerated cough and began to read, adopting the voice of an emotionless lawyer. “Article six, subsection ten: Any medically-related property created or acquired by an employee during business hours automatically becomes property of Medicomp, who is free to use it however they wish.” He put the papers away. “Now put it back.”

It would have been so satisfying to buck the guard and his dimwitted partner into unconsciousness, but I wasn’t in the mood to hurt anyone. Instead, I activated my charm.

“Tell your captain to check his records: Coin Counter allowed me to go on leave during the trip to rest and recover. The horn was acquired during that time, ergo, it is still my property. If you try to stop me, I'll bring it up with Coin Counter himself and bring legal action against you and your partner for theft of my property. Is that understood?”

Like all of Mangus' thugs, the guards had a massive ego, the result of believing they was superior to everyone else. But like all the rest, they were bullies, and their pitiful minds was easily swayed by wills greater then their own.

The first guard went pale, the grin vanishing from his face. “Uh... Yeah. Yeah, it is."

I opened the saddlebag and put the horn next to little Celestia, who looked at it. With the smile painted on her face, it looked like she approved of what I was doing.

Buckling the bag shut, I slung it onto my back. “Oh, and for your own knowledge, I’m not, and never will be, your buddy. Considering your level of intelligence, I’m surprised you even have any.”

I left the room, the other guard getting out of my way. Outside, I took a moment to congratulate myself. I had one treasure in my possession, and only needed one more. I glanced back to grin at the guards, wanting to rub it in their faces. But they weren’t looking at me.

They were speaking into some walkie-talkies.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to guess what was going to happen next. Alarms would be sounded, and guards dispatched to intercept me.

I needed to move fast.

***

Not wanting to ride in an elevator that could be disabled, I took the stairs down to the cold storage area. Here was housed the company's most prized possessions, and the greatest medical miracles of our era, ones that I had helped create. Making my way past the enormous storage rooms for legs, I came to the storage area for wings, which was sealed down tightly. Two more of Mangus' guards at the doors.

“May we help you, Mr. Silverspeak?” one of them asked. They were tense and on alert, and I realized they had been warned to keep an eye out for me.

“I'm here to gain a pair of replacement wings,” I said. “Beakbreaker and I have decided to do further experiments to see if she can reattach them, but on our own personal time. Now let me through, or she and I will report your actions to Medicomp management.”

“We have orders not to let anyone pass.”

I focused all the anger I had towards the guards, remembering how they had tormented and annoyed all of us at Medicomp, letting the two become the focus of that anger. “I see. But if you don’t let me pass this moment, I will personally tell Beakbreaker which two incompetents delayed her research, and thus, made it so that she failed to find a cure to the problem inherent in every wing and limb Medicomp ever sold. Without that research, Medicomp loses its most prized products. Lawsuits happen. The company is abandoned by its customers and stockholders, and goes out of business, all because two idiots refused to let me get Beakbreaker’s wings. Do I make myself clear?

Without a word, the guards backed away and unlocked the door.

Hurrying through the door, I went through another airlock and entered the wing storage room, shivering at the freezer-level temperature. Doing my best to ignore it, I hurried among the thousands of containers lying in neatly stacked rows, each triple-sealed to protect the precious wings inside from damage. I checked all the labels I could find, looking for a pair that was teal in color.

I almost made it to the back of the room before finally finding the pair I wanted. Undoing the container’s seals, I peered in and beheld a pair of wings identical to my old ones, safely sealed within sterile plastic bags, and nestled among thick slabs of ice. Opening my saddlebags, I took the wings, put them inside.

There was only one thing left to do.

I had just started back towards the door when it opened. I thought the guards had come in to escort me out, but it wasn’t the guards who had entered.

It was Coin Counter, flanked by two heavily armed guards.

“Silverspeak? What in heaven’s name are you doing?”

I had hoped to avoid confronting Coin Counter, but that was no longer possible. “I’m taking what’s rightfully mine.”

Coin Counter shook his head as he stepped away from his guards. “No, Silverspeak. Those wings aren’t yours. Neither is that horn. I can’t let you have them.”

“I’m more then happy to financially compensate you for them.”

Once more, Coin Counter shook his head. “Silverspeak, you’re a good pony. Please, don’t make me do something we’ll both regret.”

“It’s a bit late for that," I said. "Besides, what do you care? I got that letter you sent me, but it was just a formality, wasn’t it? You and your board of directors had already decided to fire me.”

“You’re sick, Silverspeak,” Coin Counter took another step towards me. “You’re obsessed. You need help. If you stop right now, I promise I’ll help you any way I can.”

“Are you only saying that because you want your precious wings back?”

“Do you remember what I’ve always believed? That the ponies here at Medicomp are more important than bits? I still believe that. You’re not a doctor or a scientist, but you’re still a bright pony with a great future ahead of him. But if you keep this up, you’ll be throwing it all away.”

I took a step back. “That future is already gone.”

“No, it isn’t. I can help you rebuild it, if you let me. I can-”

A crate fell to my side. I spun and saw one of the guards only a few feet away. In a flash, I realized that while Coin Counter had been talking, the guards had been circling around to my sides.

Coin Counter had been distracting me, keeping my attention focused while the guards worked their way into position to attack.

Liar!

The guards shot magic from their horns. I ducked; the magic blast from the first guard went over my head, knocking the second guard out. The first then leapt, trying to buck me into unconsciousness.

“Don’t hurt him!” Coin Counter shouted.

He needn’t have bothered. As the guard came down, I smashed my hind legs into his stomach, and rolled, sending him flying into the shelves. I leapt up and saw Coin Counter grabbing my saddlebags, trying to run for the door. But I faster and yanked them free, knocking Coin Counter to the ground. I was so enraged at his trickery that I reared back to hit him... and yet, I didn't. Or rather, I couldn't.

Coin Counter had always been reasonable with me, always wanting to make sure I was well-off, even when I was just a lowly spokespony. And like my parents, he was only doing what he thought was best.

Fuming, I yanked the saddlebags on and took off, leaving Coin Counter on the floor.

***

Leaping through the airlock, I ran down the hall, reviewing the fastest way to get to the operating level. The central staircase was too obvious, and the elevators were too slow, so I’d have to take one of the secondary fire escape stairwells. I sped up, but it wasn't long before an alarm sounded.

Attention all security personnel,” Coin Counter's voice emerged from nearby speakers. “We’ve had a break-in; Silverspeak has stolen a pair of wings and an item of great importance from the secure storage room.” He hesitated, and when he spoke again there was a sadness in his voice I had never heard before. “Initiate building lockdown, and apprehend him.

The cat was out of the bag. In a way, it was a relief. No need to sneak around, lie, or talk my way past guards. There was just me and my goal, now so close I could feel it.

Turning another corner, I reached the stairwell. Kicking the door open, I ran down the stairs, my destination several floors below. But the security system was fast, and I heard doors being thrown open far beneath me, and guards storming in from above. I went faster, leaping down the stairs as fast as I could. One or two guards I could handle, but not several at once.

Two guards burst through a door on the floor below, aiming tasers as they spotted me. But the thing about having nothing to lose is that you’re more willing to take risks then you normally would. I leapt and tackled them. Not having the time to knock them out, I instead kicked their tasers down the stairs and took off again.

More guards charged into the stairwell as I reached my floor and ran off. Luckily, none had reached the operating areas, giving me a few seconds of breathing room as I dashed to the second amphitheater and ran inside, yanked the doors shut, and smashing the control panel to pieces, locking them firmly in place. Once that was done, I ran through the preparation room and into the auditorium.

And there it was: a massive piece of machinery almost three times my size. I couldn’t make heads or tails of the knobs, levers, and buttons, or to the mechanical arms that jutted forth, all powered by several crystals. To anyone else, it was something ugly and hideous, but to me it was beautiful. It was the surgical unit Coin Counter had mentioned to me, the one that was self-sufficient and able to go to any corner of Equestria, where it could be used in place of a hospital in case of an emergency.

It was the machine that would finally make my dream a reality.