• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 1,087 Views, 3 Comments

My Little Pony: Memories are Magic - MaronaPossessed



A stallion from Canterlot makes his way to Ponyville, looking for a job. What he doesn't realize is that love could be around the corner for him!

  • ...
2
 3
 1,087

These Happy Golden Oaks Part 1

These Happy Golden Oaks Part 1

The scenario goes off with a rough start meeting Twilight Sparkle and Spike. Will Memoire shine and truimph, getting a job in the library?

I better take a good look of Ponyville, so I decided to take a stroll even more within the area...wow! It isn't as crowded as Canterlot, but enough ponies to make such a striving area! There's just so much you can do at first sight! There are flower stands, fruit stands, and even some souvenir stands! At least I could say less 'excuse me's' and go to most areas in a heartbeat!

As I sat near the water fountain, I gazed on my map of the library. Golden Oaks Library huh...Sounds like a fancy name. It must be really upscale like the one in Canterlot. With that in thought, I headed straight ahead to its building form. I feel...sort of nervous requesting a job at the library. I remembered I lost an important scroll at the library in Canterlot Castle. That's a memory I hope won't repeat itself! Then again...this should be a much smaller library; this could be something that can be easily handled.

...

A tree house library, huh? It's a nice touch, actually! Okay, Memoire. I have to make a good impression. What? Is it because of what happened at the previous library? Nonsense! Nonsense I say! "Well...here I go." and with that said, I opened the door and I heard a bell jingle.

It's actually much smaller than I thought it was...it seemed just like a home somepony could live in! Wait...since it's that small...ugh...disappointment is heading my way. Since it's so small...why would anypony hire another pony? Well...let me enjoy the scenery in here. It actually is well sorted and beautiful! There was a wall area where it was carved into, like shelves, to fit all the books in. There is are two tables set out with lanterns for light, and an open area which had a green rug set out. The atmosphere felt like living in an old-time house. I really like what this building was going for!

To my right ahead, there was something under the blankets, where snoring noises were coming out. Hah...must be a little dog...wow it sure snores pretty loud. To my left, I noticed a unicorn with a dark purple mane striped with pink, and she had light purple fur. I noticed an owl on its perch, sleeping. Well...owls do only come out at night.

"Hoo..."

Who? I mean owls!...Oh wait, it's sleeping. Heh...I kinda jumped a bit there. My mind, so far, is being so used to talking to myself. Although, even if it seems she may not need any help managing the library, it wouldn't hurt to ask. I lowered the bag that was settled on my back and went up to her.

"Um...excuse me-"

The unicorn, without turning, spoke to me. "Finally you're awake, Spike! Could you go grab the Equestrian Symbols encyclopedia? I'm so close to debunking this legend!"

Spike? Why did she call me 'Spike?' Is that some sort of lingo they go by in Ponyville? Anyways, I guess the job starts now. I ran up to the book shelves and looked around. The books seem to be in alphabetical order, so this should be easy.

I looked at the first shelf. At the near end, I noticed the binding on the book called Equestrian...well...it had a weird symbol at the end, so this must be it! I grabbed it with my mouth and walked towards her.

"Hrf ur a-"

"Thanks, Spike! I appreciate it!" The unicorn, who still didn't turn around, grabbed the book with her magic and flipped through the pages. She really seems to dwell within those pages! "Hmm...no, this symbol isn't in here...but then...what does it mean? Okay, change of plans, Spike. Go grab me the Ponyglyphs book."

Again, I headed to the bookshelves. Can't she make up her mind on what books she would need? I know we're probably not fortune tellers but seriously now... Alright, it doesn't look like it's on the first shelf, since it ended with a book starting with 'F,' so let's try the second shelf.

Right in the middle, I noticed the books starting with 'P.' Para...Pi...Po...okay here we are: Ponyglyphs. I grabbed the book with my mouth and headed back. The dog was still sleeping...it would be nice for it to lend a hoof, er...paw here!

"Great, Spike! This should do it, since the writings are starting to look ancient." Finally! That should be able to help her. After that, I could introduce myself!

"No...the writings don't match to these...okay. Please go grab me Equestria's Known Languages: Volume 1." Or not...

I'm back at the shelves. This is starting to feel like I'm exercising, which I had enough while heading to this place! Wait...this book isn't within the first shelves. This is strange. Maybe since it is in a set, they are sorted differently? I noticed a ladder right by me. I tried to climb it, and on the top shelves, I noticed some books that were sorted into volumes. This must be the shelf I need to look in. I nearly lost my balance by moving the ladder with its set of wheels.

"Woah..." I steadied myself. Okay, let's start from left to right. 'A'...no...I rolled to the next part. Hey...I could get used to this. It's pretty fun moving on the ladder this way! 'C'...nope not this area...ah! 'E,' which made me noticed Equestria's Known Languages: Volume 1. I reached to grab the book with my mouth, while steadying myself on the ladder. The ladder lost its balance...

"WOOAH!" I fell down on the wooden floor. Ow...that's going to leave a mark...because I feel it already. "Spike, I told you not to play with the ladder! You'll get hurt!" Gee, thanks for concerning the one who didn't show his face to you! This had better be the last book, because this is becoming the last straw! I walked slowly towards her, and she grabbed the book with her magic- SHE DIDN'T TURN AROUND?! WHAT'S THE DEAL?!

"Hmm...hey! Now I recognize this! Okay, Spike go grab the-"

"EXCUSE ME!!!" I yelled angrily.

"Wah?!" the unicorn turned around while bumping back to the desk, and the owl jumped and flew away. "Hey...you're not Spike." she pointed with her hoof.

I feel agitated. "Does my hair look spiky to you?" I couldn't help but let a painful sigh after. "No, I mean Spike, my assistant!" She then looked at the bed with the buried creature. "Ugh...still asleep?" she said as she slapped her hoof on her forehead. She then realized and looked at me. "H-how long have you been there?"

"Ever since you requested Equestrian Symbols." I said while groaning. "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean that! I was expecting Spike to be behind me, and I got drawn into this paper that kept me up all night, and I didn't hear you come in, and now I'm saying things out of order!" The unicorn did look a bit tired...and she seems really guilty...

"It's alright...I didn't mean to yell. I thought this 'Spike' word was some sort of slang in Ponyville!" I gave out a laugh. The unicorn giggled. "No, Spike is my assistant. I should have known better anyway...he takes naps out of order! It messes up my schedule sometimes." She then looked down onto my hooves, which were sported with dirt. I spoke out apologetically. "Oh sorry! I was so nervous about making a first impression, and I forgot to wipe-"

"Wow...how far did you travel today?" She looked concerned. I guess this could be a start..."I started traveling early morning from Canterlot."

"Canterlot?! Oh I apologize- I didn't mean to make you work! Please, have a seat- the dirt will be cleaned up anyway." Wait...she didn't mean to make me work? That means...she isn't looking to hiring anyone. Bummer...well she welcomed me to have a seat, so I decided to walk to one of the tables and sat at a chair.

I noticed the unicorn disappeared, but I could hear her rummaging through some stuff. Typical. I think she's just going back to her studying! I heard some magic sounds, and noticed a plate of pastries being passed to me on the table, as well as some tea. The unicorn sat on the other side of me.

"I didn't mean to start on the wrong hoof. You came a long way- from Canterlot! Why didn't you take the train to Ponyville?" She asked me.

"The train was expensive, and I couldn't afford it. I figured if I left Canterlot early, I could make here in good time!" I said as I put one of the pastries in my mouth and chewed it up hungrily.

"Huh? The prices went up? That's a bother...but I'm sure the council and engineers have their reason." If you count pollution and economy as some reasons, yes; they are good reasons.

"Anyways, let me introduce myself. I'm Twilight Sparkle. I work in the library and spend my days studying here."

After she introduced herself and I finished my pastries, I heard a big yawn and a couple of steps. "Hey, Twilight. You would not believe what I was dreaming about. It started with a statue who wouldn't shut up, and it ended with something about being spiky. It was pretty-"

I turned around and- WHAT IS THAT CREATURE?! "Ahh!!!" I ran behind Twilight and peeked from hiding. "Wha-What are you?! What is that thing?!"

"'Thing?' I don't like him already..." it-err...maybe a he said. Seriously, what is that thing? He had purple scales with pointy green ones adorned on his spinal area, weird green ears, and his teeth-HIS TEETH! They look as sharp as knives!

"Why are you so afraid? He's just a dragon." My eyes widened. "D-DRAGON?!" The unicorn sighed. "Baby dragon to be more specific."

"I'm no baby!" the dragon-err baby dragon said. "Anyways, since you're too angry to introduce yourself to our guest, Spike, I will do the honor." Twilight Sparkle rolled her eyes. "This is Spike, and he is my assistant I was telling you about."

"Angry? I have a right to be angry! He's hiding behind you, he called me a 'thing,' and most importantly...uh...actually, I think that's it." This dragon must be named Spike, and he doesn't look dangerous. Though, I am still a bit freaked out. I never seen a dragon before! I always heard they are out to kill ponies and every other living creature! I stopped hiding behind Twilight and moved away.

"Uh...right. Sorry for acting like that, Spike." I said, but he continued to glare at me. I think we started on the wrong hoof, err...claw...however you put a dragon meeting a pony.

"Anyways, I'm Memoire. Memoire Lane. The reason I came here was...well...it looks like my question was already answered."

"Already answered? What were you going to ask?" Twilight asked.

I sighed. It's for the best not to look on the bright side of things when it seems obvious. "The reason I traveled from Canterlot was to find a job. I was told that Ponyville was a land of opportunity, so I came here. I figured to try here first..." I looked at Spike and then the owl at the perch near the desk. "...but it seems you have enough help."

Twilight blinked and her expression changed from concerned, to blank, and in thinking mode (by the looks of it). I wonder if she is coming up with another good excuse. There is one already! Just get on with it so I can be on my-

GRRRUUUUMMMBLLLEEE...

...way. Wow, my stomach sure was noisy right there. Twilight just giggled. "Why don't we go grab something to eat? I'm pretty hungry myself." She stepped off from the stool. "There is a cafe just a couple of blocks from here."

I slowly stepped off the stool. "S-sure...that would be great." I said. I'm still embarrassed from my stomach!

"Wait...not 'that' cafe is it?" Spike asked with hope in his eyes. Twilight just rolled her eyes and her horn glowed. "Don't worry, Spike. I know you don't like the food there, so I have some spare gems from Rarity for just this occasion!" She picked up a very small wooden basket with a cover and handed it to Spike. The size was just enough for that dragon to go on a picnic. He slowly opened it. "YES!!! Lovely Rarity, you never disappoint me..." I wonder what was inside of it. His expression seemed...lovey dovey with a side of excitement. Heh. Great...I'm talking in food terms now. I better follow Twilight.

...

The table was just right outside the cafe. It was a glass, transparent table along with stools for seating. The inside of the cafe seemed casual with a home-style flair. It feels great to be here because of the atmosphere. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds!

My eyes were mostly on the menu. Wow! I could order everything off of it, but it's best to be humble about it. The waiter came up to us. To be honest, I didn't pay attention to what Twilight was saying. The waiter looked at me and asked, "What will you be having?"

"I'll have the super-acre flower sandwich-eh, loaded, please. I would like a large side of the fruit salad with the cherry syrup topping. For my drink, I would like two glasses of milk."

"Banana, Blueberry, Strawberry, Chocolate, Cookies-n-Cream, or cherry?"

"Wow...that many flavors? I'll take blueberry for both then!"

"Alright then, your order will be here as soon as possible." The waiter said and walked away into the store. He didn't have a notepad, so he must have a good memory! That's one of the traits to have when you're a waiter, not to mention he took his time with telling me the flavorings of milk. I looked across Twilight and she let out a laugh.

"M-maybe I shouldn't have looked at the menu that long." I said, feeling embarrassed. Twilight waved one of her hooves. "No, that's okay. That trip must have been draining for you!"

Yeah...I did travel most of the day. I only had an apple for lunch today while on the road! I guess I should have brought more snacks with me. "So, let's talk about the job you were asking about." She began as I heard crunching noises from below the table. Spike must be enjoying his meal. Now, for me, it's onto business...

"To be honest, I was used to studying and working on my own. Spike and Owlowiscious-"

"Owlwiscious?"

"Owlowiscious!" Twilight corrected. "He's my nighttime assistant while Spike is sleeping. Anyways, they only just assist getting materials and books when I need them. When you're in a train of thought, you can't lose it by doing something else!" That statement I understand, but I can't understand where she is getting at.

"So, what do you basically study?" I asked. She never did state what she studied for.

"Oh, just assignments created by me and other things." Other things? I suppose it's not for talk. She continued, "I usually study myths and the creatures of Equestria. There are still some things out there not discovered! I know the scholars of Canterlot do that type of work, but...I guess you can say I can do that work for Ponyville."

"Did you ever think of applying to be a scholar for Canterlot?" I hate to go off-subject, but this seems interesting. She is doing scholar-type work, but she isn't one. "Me? No! Haha! I prefer to be here in Ponyville...I don't think I'm qualified for that type of work anyway!"

Really? With that much dedication to her work earlier, she seems to be pretty fit for the job. I really want her to get to the- "Anyways, I think you would like for me to get to the point." ...exactly.

"Sort of. I'm even more curious on that work!" I said. The waiter came back with a tray on his back, holding Twilight's juice and my two blueberry milk glasses. "Sorry about the wait. It looks like the food will be a bit longer." He lowered his head to let the tray travel onto the center of the table and walked back inside the cafe. With no delay, I took both of my hooves, grabbed the first glass, and started chugging it down.

"Anyways, I could use some assistance in studying. Not just for retrieving materials and books, but for you to study alongside with me to speed up the process. What do you say?"

SPPLOOOOOT.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" I heard Spike's voice after I noticed pieces of sparkly rocks were on the side of the table. At least I can keep my mouth closed while eating and drinking, unlike him so far.... "Aren't two assistants enough for you? I can understand Owlowiscious, but another one?! What are you aiming to have- a full house?!"

"Spike, you're being paranoid. You're thinking he is living in the library like us. That's not happening. Besides, all you and Owlowiscious do is fetch me books and materials for writing." Living with her? That would be awkward, especially for a first meeting! "I would just like someone to help along with all my studies."

"I can help you with your studies!" He said.

"Okay then, what was the myth I was trying to debunk last night and today?" Twilight asked, which left Spike stumped.

"Um..."

"Point exactly." Twilight pointed with her hoof. I turned my head to Spike and then back to Twilight Sparkle. I really don't want any bad blood between that dragon and me. I think I can get along with Owlow...Owloy...I'll just call him Owly. It's too much of a tongue twister on that name. Anyways, I think I can get along with Owly, due to his limited vocabulary. But Spike? From the first sight, it seemed he didn't like me at all. I wonder why...

"So, what do you say?" Twilight asked again. "And don't mind Spike," she spoke with a whisper, "he should get over it once he gets to know you." She's right. I shouldn't let anypony, even a dragon, stop me from getting a job that is at the right opportunity!

"I'd be happy too!" I said with a gleeful smile. A job...a job on the first try and on the first meeting! Thank Celestia! Before anything else was said, a huge tray appeared on the table. The waiter has brought our food. Quickly, he took the tray with his teeth and only the plates remained on the table. Nice trick he did. "Enfoy." I took that as 'enjoy.' After his word, he left the table. My stomach started growling as I looked at my fruit salad...and the sandwich in front of me looked huge! Without further ado, it's time for me to dig in!

...

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing..." I muttered to myself. I was satisfyingly full. It was the best meal I ever had since I left Canterlot. I looked at the sky and it looked like nighttime was coming. There was some orange and yellows left in the sky, but it looks like it's Luna's night to shine.

"Enjoyed yourself?" Twilight asked with a smile.

"Very! Thanks for showing me this place! I loved the milk too! Didn't realize there was so many different flavors." It's funny for her to ask that because earlier, the waiter asked if everything was delicious- and indeed it was!

"Yeah, they really have a diverse menu. Even my friends enjoy coming here." She said.

Friends, huh? I didn't expect her to have friends. Err, don't get me wrong. She looked like a bookworm, and I figured bookworms don't have time for friends. Twilight finished her refill of her juice while lifting the glass to her mouth using her magic. The waiter trotted to our table.

"We're about to close soon, but we have a couple of pies and cakes left to serve. Any room for desert?" He asked.

I was full, and I didn't want to have Twilight wait on me either. "No, it's fine." I said. "Same. I'm full myself!" She said. The waiter placed the receipt on the table with the writing facing towards me. Well, it is only polite for a stallion to pay for the meal. Plus, I'm thankful for the job. The cost isn't bad...let me just reach into my...

...saddle...bags?

MY SADDLEBAGS! "Oh man, I forgot my saddlebags with the bits in them!" I said to myself. Great...just great! What kind of stallion would let the mare pay for the bill?! What an idiot I am! There goes my job! There goes my opportunity! Before I made a dash heading back to the library, a claw grabbed my hoof. I looked down towards Spike, with a jealous, angry look on his face. He pointed back to Twilight. I looked towards her and...

"Here you go, sir. You can keep the rest as your tip." Twilight placed the bits in the pouch the waiter was holding out. The waiter closed it. "Thank you very much, ma'am." He left the table...and that was that. SHE paid for the meal rather than me! How embarrassing!

"Twilight! I'm really, really sorry! I forgot all about my saddlebags, and I thought I had them on me! I was going to pay, but-"

"Calm down." She said calmly. "It's okay. I was planning on paying the bill anyway. I figured I could treat you to a meal after what I did to you. No need to get worked up..."

Even with those calming words, my dignity sort of shredded away. Well...it's over now. It's best to not get worked up, as she said. "Thanks...I appreciate it."

As we stepped down from the table and Spike on Twilight's side, I asked "Where is the nearest hotel by the way?"

"Oh, the first one is just down this street. The second one is in the next street on the right at the very end."

"I'm glad it isn't far. I'll walk along with you to the library, since I have to get my saddlebags anyway." I said. With that, we headed towards the library.

...

"That's how things are in Canterlot with the job market." I said. "Wow...never realized how hard it was for you to find one back there. You made a big decision coming here!" Twilight said. We had mostly small talk, with Spike butting in with a sigh in some areas. I just finished talking to Twilight Sparkle about why I couldn't get a job in Canterlot and decided why I came to Ponyville.

We were in front of the library. I opened the door and grabbed my saddlebags with one of my hooves and placed it on my back. "Well...see you tomorrow. Thanks again, Twilight Sparkle. I appreciate it, and I will do the best I can."

"No thank you! It's great to have someone to study alongside with me. Just come early in the morning, alright? I always get up bright and early!"

Early to bed, early to rise. Can't go wrong with that motto. I nodded and we parted ways. Now that I have my saddlebags, it's time for the next challenge: finding a room to stay for the night.

...

I opened the door to the hotel room, and a stallion unicorn was dusting a desk using his magic. "Can I help you, sir?" He turned and asked me.

"Yes, do you have a room for the night?" I answered. I figured the lobby wasn't too crowded, so there should be some room at least.

"No vacancy. Sorry." He stated flatly.

Or not...darn. "I see. Thank you, sir." I finished with those words and walked out.

...

I figured I'd give it another shot at the other hotel, even if it was a long walk...unfortunately, it didn't look good as no lights were on and the windows were closed. There was a sign outside the door.

"Closed until winter."...I sighed.

I never knew finding a place to stay could be so tough. Most of the houses I pass by have their windows closed or lights off. It wouldn't be right of me if I randomly knock on a door and asked to stay for the night. Looks like it is a nullified score for me. Plus one point for Memoire scoring a job. Minus one point for Memoire for not finding a place to stay.

I found myself wandering back to Golden Oaks Library. The lights were on for a moment, and then turned off. It looks like they are turning in for the night.

I would ask Twilight if I could spend the night...but that would be too much to ask. She gave me a job and a great meal. I don't want to mooch anymore!

I yawned. She said she wanted me to be here bright and early...well the only possible way would be sleeping outside of the library. I just hope she won't be angry about it. I'll be sure to move away from it once I hear ponies coming out in the morning.

I moved to the side of the tree library and placed my saddlebags against the trunk. Too bad I don't have a blanket...but at least these bags have a decent softness to them to use as a pillow.

"Hoo!" I noticed Owly flying out of the building and going somewhere. I guess since he isn't needed for the night, he goes out to do his own owl things...whatever owls do...

For now, the sandpony is coming for me...and it's off to sleep...

Author's Note:

The title of Twilight's Scenario was inspired from a book title "These Happy Golden Years" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I figured it was suiting since Twilight read books and her library was called "Golden Oaks."

I admit it. I hate spelling Owlowiscious! So I made Memoire nickname him "Owly" I'm lazy...I know:P

I know the sleeping thing seems similar, but the different scenarios will have different happenings. Trust me! I planned it!