• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 2,475 Views, 27 Comments

Chrysalis - Horsetorian



How the Changeling Queen came to be and what became of her.

  • ...
9
 27
 2,475

Chapter 3- Exile

Celestia’s Journal

I am so weary.

She’s left, in some ill-fated attempt to please me. My expectations have banished her. Luna knows this, and blames me. A glance was all I needed. She refuses to speak to me.

My citizens are all the more panicked, thinking the throne’s heir has been kidnapped or killed. A few blame me. I will quiet their fears tomorrow, though my children need not know my daughter’s secret. If only my words had the same power over me.

The chatter of the shadows will soon overwhelm my sister. Any attempt to bring her back will only speed the process. My daughter’s presence may have prevented Luna’s descent, once. Her sudden departure has now hastened it.

The citizens became aware of this ancient tension only recently. They mutter among themselves, terrified.

I must go to comfort them, though time is short. I must gather the elements, as I fear she will turn on me quite soon. No doubt my actions will speed her inevitable rebellion. Nevertheless, I will do what I must for my people.

She has turned. The kingdom has fallen under the reign of one “Nightmare Moon”.

For their sakes, I hope I am prepared for what must be done.


In my weakness, I have failed my people. I could not bring myself to end my sibling. I suppose the millennia together left me with a single flaw. I have endangered my children for the life of my sister.

She will remain trapped for many years. Generations will pass before her threat returns. Having lacked the strength to kill her the first time, I doubt I shall triumph the second. Many will suffer for the life of this one.

I have failed my people, my sister, and my daughter.

I had supposed, all those years ago, that I had banished the shadow-beings along with my sister. I assumed they had all gathered around her, forming her armor and the walls encasing her heart.

Instead, most of them remained. Clever enough at first to stay out of sight, they congregated and waited. They were discovered too late.

It began when wealthy miners came, asking to explore beneath the kingdom itself for treasure and bounty. Grudgingly, I accepted, granting them some small area away from other inhabitants of the castle. Undoubtedly, they had exceeded my limitations when they found the threat.

It began with rumors and hearsay, stories and tales that seemed harmless enough. Shadows came to life, they said, and stalked ponies as they went about their business. Some places were said to have more shadows than others, and some said one could even hear the dark whisper in the common tongue.

Repeatedly, they called on me for assistance. I brushed them off, peeved as I was to have them mining the grounds in the first place. It seemed like petty superstition until the disappearances.

A handful went to delve deeper than anyone ever had, well beyond what they had been allowed. When nopony could find them, they immediately called on me. Finally, I gave into their fears and followed them into the tunnels below.

In the caverns I found what shadows guarded as best they could. The mindless shades swirled around a particular crystal, a strangely dull crystal. It sprouted from the surrounding rock, appearing natural save its unreflecting material and grey shade. I sensed a presence besides its guards; the stone did not breath or move and lacked the warmth of the living. Yet within, I felt a being not unlike my sister.

I approached it cautiously. Shadows gathered around my feet, threatening to smother or secure me or to swallow me up entirely, yet hesitant to strike. As I neared, it seemed to stir. I prepared a spell, one so powerful it could obliterate everything in the small enclosure, strong enough to collapse this cave and seal it for centuries. Likewise, it seemed to awaken, almost, at the light radiating ever brighter.

Had it moved, I might have ended it there. Had a shadow touched me, had a pebble dropped, or anything in the room changed, I could have erased this pocket, the tunnels around it, and myself in one blast. This time, I was ready to protect my people from whatever cruel trick my sister had left. I would have destroyed all of us to do away her minions and tormenters if my kingdom could have been saved. I stepped forward, pushed by so many failures, determined to be the ruler I had meant to be.

In the storm of thoughts that held my mind, amidst all the chaos and grief and shame, I heard something. A child’s voice, not of my own thoughts but of the stone itself, calmed the raging winds, quieted the fury and tides of emotions, and brought peace.

“Celestia!”

That voice... Could it have been?

Had I found her?

At last, after so alone for so long. I wouldn’t have to rule by myself anymore. I could finally be close again, live without the crown for a few moments, even enjoy life. For a moment, the room seemed to glow, and everything seemed right.

From the corner of my eye, I saw a twitch. A shadow flickered across the room.

Immediately I came to my senses. This was little more than a cruel illusion, one set by my sister. No, not my sister. My sister would never do this. Rather, the monster her minions made of her did this to me. My reaction was not that of a ruler acting on behalf of her people, but the behavior of a scared child. Like a frightened foal, I grasped it-- the foul trick, the beguiling lie-- and pushed as many miles away as I could. Magic placed it far beyond my kingdom, incapable of harming my citizens. Its faithful guardians followed, streaks of ink flowed south over the land. I couldn't bring myself to kill it. It had her voice.

I ended the light from my horn, and sank to the ground. Darkness, at least, made sense. True lack of light felt comfortingly empty; the world I saw had no harsh truths or complex realities. I might have sat there until life made sense, until the world simplified and presented itself to me in a bundle of light. I had time enough. The problems on the surface were temporary at best.

Once I had recalled them, my pitiful, loving citizens, I could not stay. I walked the tunnels, slowly emerging to see the setting sun.

Author's Note:

So... finally posted a bit more. thanks for support y'all, but truth be told, the mental willpower on my part may be fading....
Anywho. So it may not be as good as previous 2 chapters (but hey, give me your opinion) but here it is.
I made it onto the Equestria daily. Huzzah. Thanks EQD for... advertising, or whatever you would call it.
As for credit... Oh, there's a chance I owe what i wrote here to multiple places. I won't try to name any this time I suppose.

Thanks everyone for commentary and opinions and reading and all that. Have a good life, and if you don't mind, tell me what you thought!