• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 42,132 Views, 4,273 Comments

The Golden Armor - Comet Burst



Comet and Angel are two guard recruits who learn about life and love in Canterlot Castle.

  • ...
113
 4,273
 42,132

Fractures (revised)

Comet woke the next day, more exhausted than before he went to bed. The memories of Nova still tormented him as he forced himself out of the bed, wishing just to have some silence. The shower of scalding hot water barely registered on his mind, which was pressed against the tile wall. After ten minutes of that, Comet was dejectedly putting on his armor, watching his orange pelt magically shimmer to a brilliant white. He grimaced, thinking of what Nova would say seeing him like this. The world he was in felt far away, like he was watching it through a telescope.

As he left the bunk room, he turned back to his bunk and subsequent footlocker and murmured, "Goodbye, Nova. I'll be back soon, okay?"

The mess hall wasn't the same today. Everypony was talking as normal, but Comet couldn't hear them. The food had no taste, which was no surprise, but it felt odd when he ate a ripe apple along with two sugar cubes and his tongue didn't register there was food. Once he finished, he walked away slowly to his post, guarding Philomena. The hallway was long and winding, but it just seemed to go by without catching his attention at all.

Soon, he was outside Philomena's door and when he pushed it open, Comet was greeted by several loud caws and a happy looking Philomena who nipped at his tail. Comet ignored it and went to his spot, planted his rump and waited. Philomena tilted her head at him and got off her perch, curious to see why he wasn't being himself. She cautiously approached him, half expecting him to startle her, but soon was less than a foot away.

Philomena often had trouble reading pony expressions, but even she knew what a tear on his face meant. She cawed to him, hoping to catch his attention, but Comet kept his eyes fixed on the ground. Philomena had seen Celestia like this before and did what she did to Celestia. The phoenix rubbed her head against Comet's shoulder and backed away, hoping to garner a reaction. Comet just stared sadly at the ground and Philomena left him alone after that.

On the other side of the spectrum, Valyrie was still half asleep. Her less than ideal kiss with Comet from the night before had started to leave a bad taste in her mouth. She knew Comet had taken Angel out on a date, but tried to suppress the thoughts. Maybe if she let it drop, there would be no reason for it to be brought up.

When the door to Philomena's chamber came into view, Valyrie took a deep breath. With an increasing sense of nausea in her stomach, the gryffon pushed open the door. Inside the room, she noticed the absence of Angel immediately, but saw the familiar golden armor and white pelt of Comet sitting on the floor along with a worried looking phoenix.

"Hi, Valyrie," came the clearly sad voice of Comet. The gryffon panicked and rushed up to Comet, half expecting him to be hurt.

"Oh my Griffin, Comet! Are you okay?" she asked worriedly. She reached out a claw to see his face, but a hoof shot up to block her.

"I'm fine," Comet said without meeting her gaze, "I just want some silence, okay?"

Valyrie gulped and nodded, even though Comet wasn't looking at her and withdrew her claw. She slowly backed away from him, worried he was going to lash out at her about yesterday. The horrible thought of he and Angel fighting climbed into her mind and Valyrie made the connection. Evidently, Comet had told Angel what had transpired and she reacted as expected. She had probably broken up with him, yelled at him and made him feel guilty. It also explained why Angel wasn't here at the time too. Valyrie gulped hard and sat at the opposite end of the room, leaving a very confused Philomena unattended.


Angel was actually snoring slightly as she slept soundly in the empty barracks. She had gotten back really late last night after Princess Cadance and Shining Armor's dinner and was now dreaming. In her thoughts, a young Comet sat there crying to himself as he sat near a headstone. Angel stood back away and tried to call to him, but Comet seemed not to notice. Angel then tried running up to him, but she never gained any ground. The young Comet just sat there, weeping to himself even as Angel tried to tell him it wasn't his fault.


The day passed with little happening aside from Philomena and Valyrie spending some time together. The gryffon wanted so badly to ask about what had happened, but the fear of him getting angry at her stayed her voice. Comet, for his part, sat on the floor, trying his best to push out Nova from his mind, but with little success. His beloved big sister stayed at the fore, torturing his already hurt spirit.

About half an hour before the shift ended, Angel woke up, determined to talk to Comet. She had to tell him she knew about his deep dark secret and she was going to help him with it. She sped off to Comet, who she could only guess was up in Philomena's tower.

"Well, uh, I'll be going now, Comet. Are you okay by yourself?" Valyrie asked, hoping to get a reaction from him. Comet just sat there in his usual silence and Valyrie smiled weakly as she left. It was still early, but she did have to use the restroom like all living creatures.

Angel darted up the opposite hallway and stopped at the door just after Valyrie turned the corner. It was then the bat pony realized she had not thought of a way to tell him she knew of his sister, but she barged in anyways. Philomena cawed happily at her arrival, but Angel's big gold eyes automatically locked onto the white pegasus sitting on the floor.

"Comet!" Angel exclaimed as she rushed over to him.

Comet just sat there, lost in the darkness of his thoughts before he noticed a gray hoof reach over and move his head. Soon, he was staring at the familiar gold of Angel's eyes and he yanked his head out of her grasp, returning his gaze to the floor.

"Yeah, what do you want, Angel?" he asked with no intention of hearing an answer. The bat pony backed up a bit, clearly flustered by Comet's behavior.

"I, uh, I kinda, um..." Angel said, unsure of how to tell him she knew about Nova. Clearly Comet was in no mood to talk, but Angel felt she had to say something.

"Comet, I met your parents last night," she stated flatly and Comet's head gave a slight shake.

"Okay. You want a medal or something?" Comet retorted with an edge.

Angel gulped and continued. "Comet, I... I know about her."

"Who?"

"Your parents told me about your big sister, Nova," Angel said, voice filled with uncertainty.

That caught Comet's attention as his head snapped up. Angel had pestered Comet before to when he was irritated, but the look he gave her was one well past the usual reaction. His eyes were full of sadness and anger and his face was locked into a scowl.

"Where did you hear that name?" he hissed, barely concealing his anger.

"I said your parents told me," Angel responded a bit defensively. Comet's face hardened even further than Sun Storm's had yesterday.

"Get away from me," he growled, breaking his gaze.

Angel took a step forward before Comet shouted, "Get away from me, now!"

A look of hurt crossed Angel's face as she stepped back once. Comet took several deep breaths and cursed under his breath at his parents. Nova was not something for them to tell Comet's friends, no matter the circumstances.

"Comet, why are you--?" Angel started to ask.

"I don't care what you're going to say, I don't want to talk about her!" Comet shouted, his angry gaze coming back to Angel. Her face registered more hurt, but that only fueled Comet's anger.

"Comet, if you just listen..." Angel tried to say before Comet cut her off.

"No, you listen," he growled, now baring his teeth, "You don't know what it was like. You don't know, my parents don't know, those stupid doctors didn't know! They've never had to pull the pony they love most back to their home, knowing each second they spend is one less for her to stay alive. They've never sat at a dying pony's bedside for days, watching them slowly die and feeling helpless. THEY DON'T KNOW!" Comet finished with a shout loud enough to scare both Angel and Philomena, as well as Valyrie standing outside the door.

Angel looked back at him with a couple tears starting to roll down her cheeks and tried to say something before Comet turned away from her.

"Don't ever think you can sympathize with me. My sister was in my care and I failed her. My failure cost her life and I've continuously been told it wasn't my fault when I know that's a lie. I could've stopped her that day, but I didn't."

Comet repressed his own sadness welling up by using his anger to drown it and pressed on. "Just, just get out, Angel. Don't ever talk about her again."

Angel stared at him, defeated and upset. This was not how she wanted this conversation to go and now Comet was furious with her, more than she had ever seen. Philomena gently got off her perch and approached Comet, but he aimed a kick at her and the phoenix cawed in terror and flew to the other side of the room. Angel wanted to give him a hug, but feared for her own safety after that.

Instead, she gave a sob and opened the door, bolting away from the room, past Valyrie who stared at her running down the hallway. Valyrie slowly turned her head to Comet in the room, who had his back turned to her. Unknown to Valyrie, Comet stood there, biting his lower lip as hard as he could stand, trying desperately to hold back the horrible emotions he felt. His anger had burned itself out at Angel's sob and now he felt a gaping hole in his chest. The sadness from the memories of Nova were mixing with his own feeling of hate to himself for yelling like that at Angel. She was only trying to help, but Comet had pushed her away like he did his mother and father.

Finally unable to restrain himself any longer, Comet gave several choked sobs and Valyrie stood there, unsure of what she was seeing. She had thought Comet and Angel were fighting over her, but it was starting to dawn on her that maybe they were fighting about some other pony. Philomena walked over to Valyrie, clearly wanting to leave him alone and Valyrie extended a claw. Philomena climbed up her claw and onto her shoulder, finding a good place to perch herself. The gryffon cast one last look at Comet, who was clearly in no state to see anypony/gryffon, and she slowly shut the door, leaving him alone. She walked off, cooing to an upset phoenix as she walked back to the bunks, hoping to comfort Angel.

Comet lost all track of time as he stood there, unable to bring himself back from where he had gone. Years of sadness and self hatred just gripped at him, unwilling to let go. He needed his sister now more than ever, but she was six feet under the ground back in San Prancisco. In his depressed state, Comet's mind flitted back to the memories after Nova's funeral. He remembered his mother hugging him tightly as she cried, his father standing outside with him, watching the sun set.

While he needed his sister now, he felt a longing for his parents, only to remember the arguments they had as well. He remembered the anger he erupted with when his parents were upset about him catching hypothermia, the hurt look of his mother as he yelled at her and his father's apologies for what had happened that day.

Most of all, he reflected on Angel. All she had done was profess knowledge of Nova, not offer sympathy. Comet was in no mood to talk about Nova today, or any day for that matter, but he had treated her unfairly. In truth, he knew next to nothing about Angel and reacted as if he knew what she was going to say.

The bitterness of his anger had left the worst sour taste in his mouth and Comet knew he had to apologize to Angel. However, the memories of all the arguments he and his parents had stuck to the fore of his mind. He shakily rose to his hooves and spread his crumpled wings. He did need to mend his relationship with Angel, but first he had to see his parents.

Comet pushed open a window and flapped his wings, disappearing into the night. He knew where his parents were staying, so he made his way into town.