• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 13,172 Views, 397 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Cold War - An A10 Warthog



When Equestria arrives on Earth and declares humanity 'evil' and 'unfit' the Soviet Union and the United States have to join forces to save humanity.

  • ...
39
 397
 13,172

Chapter 5- Борис: Soviet Assault

25th September, 1986 0841 GMT
Novorossijsk
Kiev-Class Helicopter Carrier,
Soviet Naval Infantry,

As alarms blared, the Soviet Naval crewman on the deck prepped the VTOL aircraft and helicopters for their assault. One lone man, who was not prepping for the assault, just stood their with his arms crossed. He was Captain Sergei Mager, he was a somewhat intimidating man, despite the fact he was in his mid-fifties. The Americans had proven themselves good at something and had taken the barrier out quickly and utterly. And now it was their turn to kick some ass.

Mager put his hand over his forehead. Ponies.... It felt stupid to part of him, having to team up with the Americans just to fight some dumb ponies. But the other part of him knew looks could be deceiving, and both the Americans and Russians knew that the quicker they wiped that cyka off the face of the Earth, the less problems they would have. Now that the barrier had fallen, there wasn't much doubt the ponies couldn't pull much off after that; if nothing else their morale was certainly lowered.

His thoughts were interrupted by a Marine officer walking up to him and saluted, he knew the man well.

"At ease, Comrade Major," The Captain spoke to his friend.

"Captain, all the vehicles are ready to go and we will launch the assault on your mark."

The Captain nodded, "Good. Let's get this show on the road."

25th September, 1986 0851 GMT
The Skies above Trottingham,
Soviet Il-76TD Formation,
VDV Airbourne Units,

As the flight of the seventy-five planes flew above the town, Lieutenant Ivan Averin checked his rifle one last time as the side door opened, as well as the aircraft's rear cargo door. As the light above the door turned green, Ivan was the first out the door. He was followed quickly by other paratroopers as well as BMDs and BTRs. Close air support jets were assigned the task of hitting the position before the men landed, as to soften up the defenses of the Guard regiment holding there.

The Lieutenant couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor ponies that were about to get their asses handed to them by the SU-24s. When his platoon was on the ground, he immediately got to organizing the squads in their assault. The rest of the company was to secure the rest of the town, as his platoon would take the South-East sector. The other units in the approximately 3,000 man division that had just landed near the town would set up defenses around the town, back the assault company up and provide support if needed.

As Ivan led his men through tight corners in the streets, he made sure he didn't leave his men exposed. His AKS-74's safety was off, and there was a 5.45×39mm round in the chamber. He was surprised to be lacking encounters with the guards that supposedly held the city so utterly, especially with the bulk of the force protecting against Royal Guard reinforcements on the majority of the roads.

He heard hoofsteps from around the corner and chanced a peek out from around it. He spotted a squad of Royal Guard troops. Not reinforced all the way in, he observed with a smile. He had a grenadier and machine gunner prep their weapons, as he knew that was the most effective way to take them out. On his mark they both crawled around the corner, aimed their shots and fired. The GP-25 round's detonation made a loud enough noise to get some attention, which prompted Ivan to order two machine gunners onto different rooftops, as to cover their position.

As both men soon reported that it appeared a platoon was approaching, on either side. The men were outnumbered, but that didn't matter to Ivan, who quickly called in his position to the mortar teams that had set up outside town. The 82 millimeter mortar rounds, were fired, and the machine gunners had already began firing, but it takes time for mortars to hit.
As more men began opening fire, the rounds started to hit. As these rounds hit, the ponies didn't bother to continue to aim their crossbows at the men and just started running.

The Lieutenant ordered his men to continue clearing the sector and shoot any Guards on sight. Soon, the town would be theirs.

25th September, 1986 0942 GMT, 0042 Local
Outside Trottingham,
Soviet FOB,
Soviet Naval Infantry, Russian Ground Forces, GRU Spetsnaz, VDV Operating Base,

The Soviets had landed main battle armor on the shoreline, their T-80's and T-72's already at the FOB past Trottingham. The next task was to set up an FARP for their helicopters. A massive amount of equipment had been brought ashore by heavy lift helicopters and amphibious vehicles. As an Mi-26 dropped another large supply crate, Lieutenant Averin took another sip from his coffee. Too damn late for this, He thought casually, trying to shake off the lack of sleep that consumed him.

He knew he couldn't get to sleep, the battle for Trottingham had been won, but they still needed to push up. Their forces would have to move quickly to fully exploit the advantage that they currently held over their enemies. His orders were simple; the base would use rocket artillery to attack a nearby guard post spotted by a scout helicopter two minutes earlier, and mobilize Averin's platoon to capture it, the platoon would then group up with the rest of his division which was planned to move Eastward immediatly. They were to be assisted by five BTR's and one Mi-24 for air cover, should the situation necessitate it.

Having received these orders not five minutes after arriving at the newly constructed base, he had some anger to show for it. But all in all, it was a simple operation. Even as he got into the BTR that was to ferry him to the fortification, he had no doubt that his men could accomplish the task. These men had never failed him in Afghanistan, they certainly wouldn't fail him now, not to colorfully prissy ponies.

Twenty minutes later he exited the vehicle, with the enemy position in sight. The Hind that was to give them support was on standby, as that would draw too much attention. Not that it really matters anyway, Ivan thought to himself before remembering the task at hand. He pulled the bolt of his rifle and started running forward, followed by his men. The BTRs moved behind them as they got closer to the compound.

He heard the pinging of bolts hitting the sides of the APCs, some magic and others just conventional crossbow rounds, this of course didn't do much to the vehicles, and really just told the troops the enemy was now considered a armed and dangerous combatant and thus could be fired on without UN repercussions.

The APC returned fire. Its heavy 25 millimeter cannon started tearing apart the ponies that had attempted to fire on them. One of the ponies launched a potion over the fence, hitting one of the Russian troops. Fortunately, all of the Soviet troops had prepared to face chemical weapons and were wearing their NBC suits. Another bolt was fired, this one piercing a solider's uniform and leaving him writhing in agony on the ground.

This infuriated the Lieutenant and his men, and proceeded to fight with an even more aggressive rage, as their medic attempted to help the badly wounded man. An RPG hit their main barrack, setting the troops that were still trying to arm themselves ablaze. The burning ponies ran from the building, screaming.

They ignored the burning ponies' pleas as Averin called for a medevac helicopter. He still knew their fight wasn't over- not even for the night.

25th September, 1986 1054 GMT, 0154 Local
Second Platoon, Антон Company, 106th Guards Airborne Division
Under the Command of Lieutenant Ivan B. Averin,
Advancing on Dodge Junction,

As the platoon approached the nearly entirely burnt out 'western style' town from airstrikes on the Royal Guard formations that were using the town for cover from airstrikes. Their strategy cost them dearly, as it gave them no place to fall back to, and no cover during the battle that was sure to ensue.

Averin's platoon wasn't the first to arrive- and they weren't leading the formation either- they were off to the side of the town, attempting to cut off the Guard's retreat as the armored battalion launched the frontal assault. Artillery pounded the town, even as the Russian units got closer.

The ponies attempted to fight back, only inflicting minor amounts of damage on some infantry units, as these units were damaged, others would cover them. They were surrounded; one platoon against a division, but to them it didn't matter- Celestia had ordered them to hold, and they would do so with their lives, even if there was no hope for them.

The Lieutenant aimed down the sights of his rifle and dropped what looked like some type of commander, and was apparently leading a counter charge. What kind of primitive tactics are these guys using? Ivan thought to himself as he took out their color-bearer.

It didn't look like the ponies were even bothering to be organized in this assault, and looked as if they hadn't fought a battle before in their lives. It was obvious why, to the Soviets, that if they had, they wouldn't be here to fight them. A pegasi warrior charged forward with a spear, making an obvious attempt to be a hero. His doomed plan failed him, as he had only made it six meters from the front of his line before he, like the others that had tried, was mowed down.

Even though the battle seemed like it was an easy victory for the Russians, Averin realized he was out of rounds as he reached to put another magazine in his rifle. For him, it was a simple solution, rather than cease fighting to get ammunition and leave his men without a commander, he pulled his handgun out from its spot on his chest and opened up with that as well.

25th September, 1986 1108 GMT, 0208 Local
The Skies Above An Unidentified Equestrian Highway,
Flight 291,
Myasishchev M-4,
Soviet Air Force,

"Choryt," Major Alaxander Frolov muttered to himself, "That's a lot of ponies."

As the bomber flew above the formation below, he called in to the General in charge of the entire operation to call in the locations of the hostiles. The General not only acknowledged this, but gave the senior officer the orders to take out the formation with the aircraft's nearly forty-eight thousand pound payload. The pilot gave enthusiasm to this and went to perform a go around to properly line up for the bombing run.

As he prepared to empty his aircraft's bomb bay, he knew that this strike would save many lives, as it would show the pony aggressors the might of the Soviet Union as well as prevent the armies from having to clash. He gave the order to drop the bombs. As the plane flew past, very few of the ponies considered the plane a threat, as they had sent out a small detachment of pegasi to deal with some of the bombers already.

One of the ponies looked up and saw a large number of white objects falling down upon them. The were beautiful, he thought and only had time to say, "Wow! So pretty!" Before the explosions began engulfing the entire army formation.

However, not all of the Guard division that was approaching was dead- there was at least a battalion of pegasi airborne, and attempting to make work of the SU-24's and YAK-40s that were now dominating the airspace. However, the ponies soon realized they lacked much to take down these jets, and couldn't as much as match a quarter of their velocity.

As the planes came back to strafe them, one of the pegasi made an attempt to throw his spear into the engine of one of the jets as it flew by, as an act of desperation. Out of either luck, or good aim, the projectile ended up in the prop of the SU-24's engine. The projectile was large enough to knock the engine out entirely, but that didn't mean it was over for the human inside- the aircraft's canopy flew off and a seat rocketed away from the fuselage, even as the plane pummeled towards the earth below.

"We've got a fighter down, I repeat, Lavarov's going down!"

Author's Note:

As it turns out, Geneva convention technically states that both the US and Russia can use gas on Equestria, as they technically never signed any gas treaties and neither did Equestria. Guess what is going to be deployed soon...

I am also not fully aware of Soviet Army Organization in terms of companies, platoons and the like, So I may be wrong with some of this.