• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 1,379 Views, 20 Comments

One is Silver - El Dante



What MLP would have been like if it hadn't been targeted to little girls.

  • ...
6
 20
 1,379

Prologue, Act I: Her

I've always watched them. I've been around for as long as they. Why they appeared, or I, for that matter, I still don't know. When and where I used to know. It must not have been important. Such thoughts have been lost to the years. The many, many years. The years watching, the years celebrating, the years grieving, devising, devastating, slaughtering. The years fleeing; then, at last, the years entrapped. And suffering. All the glorious, agonizing years.

Time has taken from me all but the truth. I may have forgotten, but I still remember.

I remember Her. She came with the rest of them. She had the admiration, the love of the others, once she’d come to earn them. She never had to earn them from me. But, alas, it has been many years.

Whatever force placed them here, whatever placed me, gave us all power enough to rival even itself. And prized they must have been. They were endowed with a sculpted head on strong shoulders, legs on which they stood tall and proud, arms with the most inconceivable and versatile devices on the ends—all a design I had always admired. They’d been so blessed they hardly had use for their lesser gifts, spectral-seeming wings they seldom used, a mystical crest on the brow wielding magics dwarfed by their sovereign might as Divines.

Though the crest marked them with power beyond reason, their congregation granted them power beyond imagination. They seemed to form for themselves the world as they stepped. Grass grew beneath their feet, trees above their heads. Rivers, streams, and oceans quenched the land of its thirst.

Then in the skies were placed twin orbs, one radiant, one wonderous. And surrounded they were with lesser decorations that still demanded the highest respect.

At last the world, their world, was ready to be filled.

And then she, in an unparalleled moment of glory, formed a being of the purest might and majesty. Four beautiful, powerful legs that could carry it far and so swift as to lift it nearly from the ground. A sense and wisdom about it none would question. All welcomed her creation, and for it she earned much praise.

Inspired—or jealous, perhaps—she who was closest to her took this design further, giving to hers wings to mimic the flight of her own kind, then to another a horn which channeled the same lesser-magics of their crest. Both were acclaimed, but all agreed neither could compare to the first. They lacked the spirit, the pride. They could only be as imitations.

From these three sacred beasts far more were designed, each inspired by the last, until they no longer seemed traceable to their origin. The results were the birds, the fish, the turtles, the wolves, the lions, and innumerable others. And all of them, including the horse, the Prime Beast, were mortal, as to make their existence, however brief, precious for its transience. Save for the Pegasus and the Unicorn. I feel this was done with a hint of spite. They were few, but they were meant to last many, many years.

There would later come the vision of the Alicorn, the Perfect Beast, the wise and mighty horse, but with both horn and wing. This never came to be. Such a supreme being would only do to shame the other three. Eventually, the name fell instead to the makers, a high form of praise. Indeed, they would appear in the art and song of years to come as their symbol, the Beast of the same name.

It seemed that each of the divines had a design to call their own. All but one. I knew her as Astrid. Often I felt as though I were the only one to notice her. She was so eager to create, but so indecisive as to form or function that all her designs were stripped from her very grasp or collapsed upon themselves, conceptually unsound. She with the woeful eyes concealed behind long wisps of hair. So frail, so vulnerable. So alone.

But I digress.

I never counted how many they were. In those blissful times, their number was never a concern to me. There could have been a dozen, a hundred, tens of thousands, but none were as important to me as Her.

Her. Like the others, she seemed to glow. Any would notice, given enough time among them. But no one noticed her warmth. No one but me.

Her. She was of such unspeakable grace and beauty. Her smile was strong yet gentle, her eyes patient and noble. Her hair, flowing and smooth, a warm, silken gold with a prismatic sheen.

Her. I remember I used to watch her. I followed her. She knew, and didn't mind. It was wonderful. I do not remember when it started, or why. I couldn’t have cared less. I admit I enjoyed it. Every minute of it, in fact. Somehow, it had come to be that I would come to her under a tree. Or to be so bold, I would like to say that she would come to me. Sometimes we would meet on the way, and I would surround her, engulf her. I had yet no form, no shape of my own, but as her feet graced the plains, I was the wind that swirled around her the aromas and petals of the flowers as she danced and spun to the tree and fell under the shade of its kind limbs; and to her delight I would be the extended roots that would claim a unsuspecting victims, or the saboteur of a particularly interesting conversation with a well-aimed gust, or the persistent rain cloud that would pursue a single humiliated target; but her favorite was when the skies would let fall instead of rain a sweet syrup that she would sip from a glass formed in hand from the water of a nearby stream, all to my lady's mischievous pleasure. And as she rested I would caress her cheek, again as the wind, and dreamily she would look out to the skies, seeing nothing in the emptiness before her, but oh, did it please me so. I knew that she was looking for me. I was in love—Yes, I had loved her! I was madly, madly in love and mad with it.

Absolutely mad.