• Published 2nd Jan 2013
  • 5,898 Views, 169 Comments

Rainbow in the Dark - Sayer



A pony moves to Ponyville in search of a new life, and in the process finds the mare of his dreams

  • ...
30
 169
 5,898

Extras, trivia and other information

The original ideas before going with the asthma was that Brownie had been attacked by timberwolves as a foal and was covered in scars, hence why he was wearing clothes. My editor helped me realize that idea was stupid and so we went with the asthma one.

I picked Hollow Shades as the hometown of Brownie because the show still hadn't visited that place, and that helped me create a new and interesting place with its own culture and government system.

Half of the puns (Like the music bands or the library books) were added by my editor. Needless to say, they were too good to be taken out.

My editor always called the main character "Brownie Cupcake". I always took that out because I didn't have his last name planned, and to avoid the readers thinking he's suppossed to be a baker like Pinke Pie and added details about his family and such. I took them out because I didn’t want conflicts in future chapters.

Hollow Shades was designed with Feudal and continental Spanish influences in mind. The idea of it being an industrial town is Kalash's invention.

The only reason I called the main character Brownie is because of his color palette and to make a pun with his name, as I sometimes I mispronounced it as "Brony".

Mecha was a character in a failed fanfic about Fallout Equestria I once worked on. When I cancelled the fic, I felt like she still had potential and didn't deserve to disappear, so I added her to the cast of Rainbow In The Dark.

The only reason Mecha is bisexual is because in the fanfic she comes from I planned her to be the main character's love interest. The gender would never be revealed, so making her a bisexual was the best course of action. This is one of the few traits she maintained.

The name Mechanic Wrench originated from a joke the main character played about not remembering her name. Other possible options were Rusty Gear and Monkey Wrench.

Mecha doesn't really need a hard hat to work as a mechanic. She's convinced that if she doesn't wear her helmet, she'll take a blow to the head.

The reason Brownie and Mecha palettes are composed of two colors is because I liked the designs. I tried to change their coats and eyes colors, but I didn't like it as much as they do now.

I got some complaints that Brownie is a simple recolor of Dr Whooves, while the truth is that he was based on me, as it can be confirmed on the self portraits I keep in my Deviant Art gallery. The fact that he looks like Dr Whooves is because of his mane, as it's the same hairstyle I drew for myself during the past 3 years or so.

Kalash did not get involved until after the second chapter had been published. We are all quite glad that the initial versions are long buried.

Mecha's girlfriend is never seen or mentioned, but she's a bat pony. I'm still working on her design in case I want to show her in a new chapter. Kalash wanted her to be a background pony named Candylicious.

Half of the books that Brownie finds in chapter 8 are taken from Harry Potter because I couldn't find new ideas.

The book Brownie reads in chapter 8 is titled "Daring Do and Discord's Diamond." On the same line, Bone's color palette is based on a fanart of Nathan Drake from the Uncharted games ponified.

The story lasted 8 chapters because my editor once said that "It's better to write a good story in 8 chapters than a bad one in 16".

Mecha has an habit of insulting other ponies in different languages. German is for close friends and is said in a heartwarming way. French is for those she hates, and Russian is reserved for the worst scum of Equestria. Aside of that, she doesn't speak these languages.

No references or mythology gags were made about French or Russian.

Brownie sometimes speaks Spanish. His sometimes unusual syntax is meant to reflect his learning of English as a second language.

Kalash let a certain degree of awkwardness stand in the dialogue once he learned that Sayer's, and therefore Brownie's, native languages were not English. He also felt that it was better for Sayer to improve his English on his own and say what he meant instead of mutating the story by rewriting massive sections into what he thought they ought to be.

As hard as it seems to believe, I've been alone my entire life, and Kalash was the one who helped me write a good romance; he’s only slightly more qualified to write romance than me, as he only had one real girlfriend. He still beats me by one relationship.

The reason Rainbow Dash lost to Brownie was because she underestimated him. She always thought of herself as the fastest pony at everything, including reading. Of course, Brownie proved how wrong she was.


Shaanyu Burana was originally created by Kalash93 in a language building exercise. It was repurposed for the fic.
These are the original ideas Kalash93 proposed for the Ancient Equestrian phrase "Rainbow in the Dark".

Melodic: Flaereyimenoy va ji yusiwa = Rainbow in the Dark.
Harsh: Kroshnik tixa marchko = Rainbow in the Dark.
Flowing: Sejeongwu bafoxwang = Rainbow in the Dark.
Stunted : Molk ga zhen chogs = Rainbow in the Dark.

More linguistic work went into the creation of at least a semi formalized system which could be used to build a language, though no further construction has occurred.

It is possible that Rainbow in the Dark exists in the same universe, although perhaps not in the same continuity as Racer and the Geek. Small nods, links, and references are present. This is still completely nebulous.

Author's Note:

Working with Sayer has been a lot of fun. He is more than a client, editor, or writer. He is my friend. – Kalash93

The feeling is mutual, my friend. - Sayer