• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 2,685 Views, 143 Comments

Sonata de Equestria - MyHobby



Equestria's history is catching up to the present. When Twilight Sparkle uncovers a dark crystal heart in King Sombra's tomb, she and her friends find themselves on the run from timberwolves, windigos, and Sombra himself.

  • ...
9
 143
 2,685

PreviousChapters
Fourth Movement: Part 2- On That Note, From the Desk of Twilight Sparkle

From the Desk of Twilight Sparkle

Dear Princess Mi Amore Cadenza,

You know what? This whole family is conspiring against me. Who in their right mind tells their sister that they’re pregnant in a baby-shower invitation!?

I mean, I’m very excited that your weight gain was not from stress.

Spike, stop writing th—


Dear Princess Cadance,

I’m so excited to hear that you’re pregnant! Do you know if it’s a colt or a filly? Are you even telling anypony? Oh my gosh this is so exciting!

Shiny would be so happy. He’d probably be panicking, too. I’m so sorry he won’t be there. Well, maybe he can still see it. Maybe there’s a chance he knows, since you two... Anyway.

That said, next time I’d be very happy to hear the news in person, first hoof. I’m getting maybe a little sick of getting news via invitation. Just a little.

So, Ponyville news.

My legs are getting stronger every day with the physical therapy. Rainbow Dash has been a big help with that. She’s had to go through it a few times herself, though not as badly as I am. Turns out she earned her nickname “Rainbow Crash” for a reason. She said she refuses to leave on her expedition until I’m totally healed up, so she and Martial Paw are sticking around for a while.

Speaking of Marty, he’s sorta a weird opposite-day version of Gilda. Real friendly and upbeat. If a little awkward. The two of them share an apartment on Mane Street, where they get a shipment of meat every week.

I think the ponies of Ponyville don’t much care to have two carnivores living in town. Gilda revels in it, though. She likes to cook and eat in public locations. Last week she had a barbeque in the park. I’ll admit it was funny when ponies asked her “What smells so good?” and she replied “Pig meat. Want some?”

Applejack suggested yesterday that Rainbow Dash and Martial should have a double-ceremony with Big Mac and Fluttershy. Rainbow said they weren’t ready to get married. She said, “We hardly know each other yet!”

I think she’s just nervous, since she’s the gal who wants to travel the world with him. It’s like the Young Fliers Competition times a thousand. She breaks out in a sweat and runs off any time it looks like he might propose. Maybe you need to fly down here and work your magic a little bit.

Speaking of nervous ponies, Spike’s been shining his scales all day long. He’s going to ask Rarity to dinner. Honestly, it’s adorable. He’s got a little bowtie and everything.

Yes, he’s about twice as tall as me, but darn it, I can still call it adorable.

(Spike here, Cadance. It’s not adorable so much as it is smooth, suave, and incredibly handsome. I swear.)

It’s a shame to hear that Celestia’s wing is too damaged to heal. Please extend my condolences. I’m sure to see her at our next meeting, so there’s that, but I’d still like to say something now. But... I dunno. I just don’t feel like sending her a letter just yet, you know?

Please don’t tell her I said that. It’s my own silly pride, not her fault.

But do let her know that I’m working on the library rebuilding project. We’ve already got Cranky Doodle’s word that he’ll turn over copies of his transcripts and photos. His home videos, too. Those have some spectacular footage.

Tell Luna I said hello.

I can’t wait to visit you again. It’ll be especially great with the pitter patter of little hooves to go along with it. Have you thought of a name? Something like Heartfelt would be adorable for a filly. Maybe Shining Shield for a colt?

Well, anyway, I’ll see you soon!

Your Loving Sister, Duchess of Equestria,

Twilight Sparkle

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 8 )

Beautiful.:raritystarry:But, hum... then one sequel: in the dinner with the Martial and Rainbow's parents.

So, Sombra's original motivation for going crazy was getting drunk with Tirek too many times?

And thus ends this epic tale. I must say, the ending is rather bittersweet. So much has happened, and while this was a victory, many things that were lost can't come back. :ajsleepy:

Congrats on finally finishing this story. Now all you have to do is finish the musical score. :derpytongue2:

4659585

Beautiful.:raritystarry:But, hum... then one sequel: in the dinner with the Martial and Rainbow's parents.

I was tempted to do something like that... but i'm really, really done with this story.

Instead, Martial Paw is going to be a character in another story. He and Scootaloo are gonna meet in the future story Scootaloo Will Fly, and then he's going to appear in That Proverbial First Step as Daring Do's assistant.

He's gonna be a good friend of Rainbow Dash's in both stories. I'm not going to mention this story in either of those, but he'll be the same character, pretty much. Stick around if you wanna see more of him.


4660278

So, Sombra's original motivation for going crazy was getting drunk with Tirek too many times?

As hilarious as that scene would be...:rainbowlaugh: Nah.

I probably need to add it to the list of things I didn't make clear in the story. Sombra went bad because he wanted to protect everything... so he decided to protect everything. He's basically Anakin Skywalker as a pony. So focused on control, control, control that he missed what was actually important.

Besides, he didn't drink with Tirek, he ordered him around. :raritywink:


4660757

And thus ends this epic tale. I must say, the ending is rather bittersweet. So much has happened, and while this was a victory, many things that were lost can't come back. :ajsleepy:

Yeah, but there're plenty of things that are new and good. They aren't going away any time soon. :twilightsmile:

Congrats on finally finishing this story.

Thanks! I can't tell you how utterly excited I am to have finished my first novel!

Now all you have to do is finish the musical score. :derpytongue2:

Ahahahaha. Heh. No. :unsuresweetie:

I started out writing crappy stories, and gradually got better. I got better because I enjoyed it enough to keep going, to keep improving.

I started out writing crappy music, but never really got better. I didn't get better because I didn't enjoy it enough to keep improving. I think it's safe to say i'm not going to bother writing music again for a good long time. :applecry:

4661901 Hmm. While I am a tad disappointed by this turn of events, in the end, it's your decision. Still, I'd at least recommend asking a composer to put your lyrics to music. As I said before, it's not much of a musical without the music. :duck:

4663881

Hmm. While I am a tad disappointed by this turn of events, in the end, it's your decision.

I am sorry, but I gotta go with what I believe is for the best. :fluttershysad:

Still, I'd at least recommend asking a composer to put your lyrics to music.

With the composers this fandom is famous for? I can see it now: Sonata de Equestria, Dubstep Edition. :derpytongue2:

But in seriousness, I just don't know the right people. I'd just be a random guy saying "Hey, I got these lyrics, wanna make a song out of it?" I got no clout. I got no links. I got no contacts.

And worst of all, I got no money to pay them. Good things don't come for free. Unless they're from me. :twilightsheepish:

It'd be so cool to see something like "Lullaby for a Princess" made from my story.

As I said before, it's not much of a musical without the music. :duck:

It's true, and unfortunately it's gonna stay true. :applecry:


Thanks for the support, Metool Bard. :twilightsmile:

Just went through this your story in, yeah, one sitting and a coffee break. I enjoyed it a lot - it hit that perfect balance between hopeful optimism and the realism of what happens when the spiked club does hit the head.

Congratulations on your characters, especially Rainbow. Lively, nuanced, just about good enough to pop off the page into the real world.

Tempo was a bit faster than I like it and I also enjoy more detail and even introspection, but I saw in the comments you were struggling to get the damn thing done and over with - which I can understand. Glad you pulled through.

So yeah - thank you for the ride :)

7625261

Just went through this your story in, yeah, one sitting and a coffee break. I enjoyed it a lot - it hit that perfect balance between hopeful optimism and the realism of what happens when the spiked club does hit the head.

Thanks for saying so! Optimism vs cynicism has always been a huge component of my writing. I actually think I'm a cynic who wishes he was an optimist. I always tend to portray the world as being pretty sad by itself, but relationships bring a whole heck of a lot of hope.

Congratulations on your characters, especially Rainbow. Lively, nuanced, just about good enough to pop off the page into the real world.

This was the story where I truly discovered that Rainbow Dash is awesome. :rainbowkiss: Characters are the backbone of a story, and I always seek to make mine memorable. There are perhaps some things I would change if I had to write this again, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with the characterizations.

Tempo was a bit faster than I like it and I also enjoy more detail and even introspection, but I saw in the comments you were struggling to get the damn thing done and over with - which I can understand. Glad you pulled through.

I'm glad, too. It was a learning experience. You can't make a pearl without irritation after all. :twilightsheepish: It was a huge relief to finish it, and the source of maybe a little bit of pride that I actually managed to write a novel. And... it had a lot of good ideas that I still like. Now that it's done, I can look at the experience without the stress and say, "Yeah, that was worth it."

So yeah - thank you for the ride :)

Thank you for letting me know that even now, two years later, people are still enjoying this story. :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment