• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 2,705 Views, 143 Comments

Sonata de Equestria - MyHobby



Equestria's history is catching up to the present. When Twilight Sparkle uncovers a dark crystal heart in King Sombra's tomb, she and her friends find themselves on the run from timberwolves, windigos, and Sombra himself.

  • ...
9
 143
 2,705

PreviousChapters Next
First Movement: Part 11- Instruments of Destruction

Instruments of Destruction

Morning came to Ponyville as Luna relinquished control of the skies to her sister. The sun rose red, bathing the entire world in an auburn glow. Light reflected off of the budding flowers decorating the orchard’s apple trees. Applejack stood at the edge of her field, taking in the beauty of the new day. There would be no chores today, not on the farm.

A clatter arose from the road, and Applejack trotted up to investigate. Waiting at the edge of her property was a wagon, pulled by a team of pegasi. On the side was carved “Speedy’s Delivery Service,” and delivery was indeed the purpose of the visit. A grey pegasus stepped forwards, holding a package out to the orange farmer.

The pegasus smiled as her lazy eye wandered around the field.

“Special delivery for the Apple Farm
To prevent Ponyville from coming to harm.
Although two of your number are gone
Still, victory is your byword.”

Applejack took the package, a box covered in carved detail, and gave the pegasus an uneasy smile of her own.

“We’ll do our best, ah promise you.
We’ll fight for what is right and true
The bad guys won’t know what tah do
Go, tell the town.”

The feathered pony nodded.

“You’re only ever honest ‘Jack
And courage you will never lack.
Now, Ponyville, we’ve got your back
Just say the word.”

The pegasi departed, and Applejack carried the box into the farmhouse. The soldiers had returned to their camp shortly after the Timberwolf encounter, but her visiting friends had stayed the night. Granny Smith whipped up a quick breakfast of grits and apple juice to feed their guests.

Rarity spooned the mealy food into her mouth with a spoon, still tired from a night on the couch. Her droopy eyes sparkled in recognition when the package came into view. Pinkie grinned as Applejack placed the box on the table, watching closely for the incredible jewelry inside. Fluttershy sighed as the farmer opened the container, presenting five necklaces and one tiara to the group.

Applejack passed each pony their respective trinket.

“Alone in this, no we are not
Special shipped from Canterlot
Our best hope comes from this lot
The Elements of Harmony.”

Pinkie took her balloon-shaped gem with a smile. Fluttershy helped Applejack clasp her necklace before adorning her own. Rarity’s glowed as she set it in place around her neck. Spike examined the final two before stuffing them in a satchel.

Applejack placed her hooves on the head of the table, speaking to her four friends, and her three family members.

“Sombra can’t ever get through
The shadows fall, he’ll never rule.
It’s up to us to stop his cruel
Assault on our prosperity.”

Fluttershy nodded.

“If we work together, we’ll see the light
We’ll send him back into the night.
It shall be such a depressing sight
But it needs to be done.”

Pinkie jumped up on the table, scattering bowls everywhere.

“Now this poop can’t get away
Let’s give him a painful day!
Listen all to what I say
His reign will be undone.”

Rarity pawed at her magical gemstone with a hoof, chewing her lower lip.

“I sincerely hope Twilight and Dash
Will return before Sombra’s plan can clash
Once their task up north is past
Then Equestria will finally be safe.”

Spike sat dejectedly, stirring his grits with a claw. He whispered softly, not letting his worry reach the ears of his friends.

“I feel so useless sitting here
While everypony I hold dear
Must watch my back, and all for fear
Of either monsters outside…”

He sighed, clutching the satchel to his chest.

“Or in here…”


The Diamond Dogs had scattered, each small group heading down a different corridor in their effort to escape the dragon, and later the soldiers. One such group found themselves in the middle of the Equestrian Wilderness, a vast forest that made the Everfree look like a backyard garden in size. It was not nearly as perilous a place to travel, but it still held its dangers.

Rover tried to climb out of a hole, clutching his broken arm in agony. A battered Fido reached a hand down to assist his leader, but Redvest brushed him off.

“We can handle the task just fine
As we have done a million times!”

Fido pouted, sitting himself down on the edge of their hole.

“But boss, now dat we’re all wanderers, we
Gorra work together to succeed!”

Rover hefted himself out of the hole with his good arm, screeching at the white-hot pain.

“You can run weeping to our brothers!
You can cry like the pansy you are!
But this one will flee ‘til we no longer see…”

A new voice interrupted their chatter, one that sent their blood running cold.

“Here is your master, Sombra!”

The two Dogs turned to see a tan earth pony waking towards them. His left-rear leg limped, and his body was scrawny. He wasn’t anything the Diamond Dogs couldn’t pound into the ground if they needed to.

Yet still they were afraid. This stallion's eyes were glowing an unnatural red, and the voice they had heard could only belong to one being.

The stallion spoke, but his voice was much higher, and not nearly as powerful.

“Wh-what do you s-s-say Lord, if I m-may
What to do w-with those who desert?
These two Diamond Dogs, sh-shall we blow th-them away?
I kn-know how to m-make it hurt!”

A dark cloud flowed out of the tan pony’s two saddlebags, eventually forming a whirlwind with two green-and-red eyes at the center. “Neigh.”

“These cretins may still be of use to me
I can find one last job for the Dogs!”

The shadow leaned in, and a black-maned face materialized with an angry snarl.

“But should you ever betray or dissent
I will throw you into the bogs!”

Rover Redvest coughed as the smell of decay filled the area. Out of the forest walked a dozen wooden golems; Timberwolves crafted from all kinds of trees and stones. Sombra laughed as the monsters surrounded the small group of Diamond Dogs, biting and snapping.

“Now listen to me, you creatures of greed
My final revenge is at hand!
Celestia will never be so utterly clever
As to figure out my plan!”

Dusty raised his head in alarm. “C-Celestia!? But what about Sparkle?”

“Hush!” Somber Tidings silenced him with a shout.

“We will delve far beneath her fair city!
We will dig through crystal catacombs!
And when the time’s right, we’ll appear and we’ll fight
For the throne of Equestria!”

The grey-maned earth pony gaped at the swirling cloud of shadow. The creature he knew as Somber Tidings had finally revealed his full plan, the conquest of Equestria. A sudden spike of fear spoke from his heart, and Dusty stepped forwards.

“I cannot al-allow you to d-d-d-do such a th-thing
This has g-gotten out of control!
We c-cannot face the princesses today
Y-your endgame is horrible!”

Sombra turned, fangs bared and eyes blazing. Swirling black clouds gripped Dusty’s four hooves and hoisted him into the air. The unicorn monster looked the librarian straight in the eyes, as if into his soul.

“You can claim that my path is the wrong one
You can lie to yourself of the same!
But you cannot deny, with the princesses reside
The completeness of the blame!”

Dusty hung suspended in midair, gasping for each hesitant breath. “Ww-w-what do you mean blame?”

The earth pony found himself being lowered gently to the ground, and Somber’s swirling form condensed into a crystal.

“I have watched you live your life ever since The Elements returned.
I saw you thrown out of your home into the bitter world.
And Twilight Sparkle is indeed to blame for this substantial crime,
But who was it that allowed the farce to stand for such a time?”

Sombra’s crystal hid itself inside Dusty’s saddlebag, and a dark wisp found its way into his ear. “Who was it, Dusty? You know the truth.”

Dusty Shelves lowered his head, the memories of a painful expulsion rushing back in.

“Celestia blessed Twilight’s new home
She gave the mare my library for her own.”

Sombra licked his fangs hungrily as the small army set forth towards Canterlot. “Yeeesss!”


The 10 o’clock hour fell upon The Court of The Day, and it was time for Celestia to move on to appeals. The citizens would come from far and wide, just to make a request or catch a glimpse of their beloved Diarchy. She smiled at her court, the nobles standing to the right, and the “common folk” to the left.

She still despised that term, as the people of Equestria were anything but “common.” Even after a thousand years, she was continually surprised by the courage and conviction of the ponies. The Elements of Harmony came to six individuals who were the furthest thing from common, while her own court was filled with vain creatures who scarcely set foot outside their city.

One such being stood beside her, holding up an official-looking scroll. “Your Princess will now accept appeals! Show your respect and gratefulness, or else!”

Oh, Blueblood, Celestia mused. If your heart was as big as your head…

The blond-maned unicorn stepped aside, allowing the royal guards to lower the red-velvet barrier. A family of five was the first in line today, two farmers and their three adorable children. “Radish, stop pulling Parsnip’s hair!”

The stallion bowed low, followed by his family. “Good morning, your majesty. We bring you a gift of food. Parsnips and radishes, the best of our crop.”

Celestia smiled at the display of generosity. “Thank you so much for your gift. I can tell you worked diligently to grow them up strong.” A servant came to take the basket of goods away. “Now, is there anything I can do for you?”

The farmer was about to decline the invitation, he just wanted his children to see the court, but his littlest spoke up. The glasses balanced precariously on the little foal’s face slid down as he piped up. “Can we see a magic trick!?”

Blueblood looked like he was having a conniption, and the father looked like he might faint dead away. Celestia smiled at the small foal, and her horn began to glow. “Of course. Now, watch the horn carefully.”

A flash caused the entire chamber to glow, and the princess disappeared. Sitting in her throne was a large, red-and-orange bird. The creature spread its wings and screeched, glowing with a light of its own. It flew overhead, trailing a tail of fire over the heads of the assembled nobility. It perched on Blueblood’s head, grinning mischievously at the white unicorn.

Princess Celestia reappeared in her throne, where she winked at the child. “What do you think of my pet phoenix?”

All three children spoke simultaneously. “Cooolll!”

Blueblood shook his head, knocking the bird off. “Announcing the royal pet, Philomena.” He caught the father’s eye, and jerked his head towards the exit.

The stallion got the hint right away. “Say goodbye to the princess, now.”

The family trotted out, all waves and smiles. Celestia smiled back as her heart glowed. Family.

She sighed as Blueblood called the next appeal. Wonderful, big, happy family.

Her thoughts were interrupted as a gasp arose from the “noble” portion of the court. A pony walked slowly up to the throne, completely concealed in a brown sackcloth cloak. The royal guards beside the princess took a tighter grip on their spears, in preparation to defend their leader. The pony limped with his back leg, and his hooves clapped against the hard floor with an uneven clip-clip-clip-CLOP, clip-clip-clip-CLOP.

The pony sat before his princess. His hood fell off, revealing a worn and weary face. Light-grey, matted hair dangled around his shoulders, and his bloodshot, green eyes held darkness and hatred.

Celestia spread her wings regally, addressing the tan stallion.

“My dear, it’s clear that you’ve had
A long and weary life
And you’ve come
To speak your piece to me.

“What is it you desire?
If I’m able, I will not tire
In my task
Of helping you stay free.”

Dusty Shelves bowed his head momentarily, before answering the princess.

“I have c-come here to re-report
Several r-related crimes
Which t-took place
So very long ag-ago.

“A pony’s f-family taken away,
One unj-unjustly imprisoned to th-this day
And the n-next
Was ev-evicted from his home.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow. “Tell me more about these crimes…”

Dusty nodded, his expression darkening.

“A st-stallion was carried off
From his wife one d-d-darkened d-day
Even th-though
She carried his unborn f-foal.

“Her g-grief was felt throughout
The k-kingdom, with no d-doubt
And the f-father
Never saw their l-life unfold.”

Celestia nodded, her own face displaying displeasure. “And the other?”

The stallion stomped his hoof in anger, and he stood as he presented his case. His voice reached a bitter frenzy as he spat out the words.

“He was t-taken from his home
And was d-denied everything
That m-made
Him the st-stallion that he was!

“He was r-replaced by somepony who
Never f-f-felt emotions true
And she is
Oblivious t-t-to his cause!”

Celestia sat quietly, digesting what she heard. She got off of her throne and walked up to the stallion. The princess lowered her head until she could look in his bitter eyes. “I promise you, I will begin a full investigation immediately. Please, tell me who is involved? Who is responsible?”

Dusty took a few steps back and brushed the cloak off of his chest. Hanging around his neck was a dark, metallic necklace in the likeness of a red-eyed alicorn. A dark, booming voice reverberated across the chamber.

“The one whose moral compass lacks,
Who set in motion these heinous acts
Nopony here would’ve guessed her name
But you and she are one and the same.”

Celestia stared in shock, both at the accusation and the ornament on the pony’s neck. “What do you mean… Who gave you that amulet!?”

The cloak fell to the floor, revealing Dusty’s saddlebags. Dark smoke poured out and spiraled into the sinister form of Sombra’s face. Evil laughter filled the audience chamber as dark purple crystals grew over every entrance, and sinister spikes kept the nobles and commoners in their respective halves of the room.

“Who else but I, and Dusty here, could be the victims of your crimes?”

“Sombra!” Celestia shouted, “You dare to show your face here!?” Her horn glowed like the sun, and a powerful magic blast shot at the miasma-like unicorn.

A gigantic crystal grew out of the floor and intercepted the magic missile. The laser bounced, rebounded, redirected and fractured off of the crystal’s facets until it shot out of the sides in several beams. Each beam hit a stained-glass window, shattering the panes instantly. Diamond Dogs and Timberwolves poured through the openings, and began clashing with the royal guards. Celestia turned and bucked the crystal with earth pony-like strength, sending it toppling towards Dusty. The stallion jumped out of the way as it crashed to the floor, fracturing into shards.

Sombra floated in front of the tan pony. “What are you waiting for!? Use the amulet!” He grinned at the powerful alicorn facing them. “Use it for what it was made for!”

Celestia’s eyes bulged in terror. “You wouldn’t! You couldn’t!” She prepared her horn for another magical attack.

Her spell was halted when a red glow encased her entire body.

Dusty was hyperventilating, each breath harder to draw in than the last. “I-I-I have her! What do I do!? Wh-what do I do!?”

Sombra grinned at the helpless alicorn. “Just do what comes naturally.”

Dusty closed his eyes, fruitlessly trying to make the world go away. A new awareness entered his mind, and he felt the alicorn princess’ power struggling within the amulet’s grasp. He felt the power within her as if it was his own, as if he were the one who had given it to her.

As if he could take the power back.

He opened his eyes and watched as red magic poured out of Celestia and into the amulet around his throat. Her struggles grew more intense, and he was mildly aware of agonized screams emanating from his victim. Some time passed and the princess dropped to the ground, a smoking mass of feathers and golden jewelry. Celestia’s chest rose and lowered as her labored breaths brought much-needed oxygen to her weakened body. All it would take to snuff out the light of the sun forever was one simple spell…

Somber Tiding’s harsh bark of laughter brought Dusty back to the real world. The real world where the princess lay near death, the courtroom was filled with soldiers fighting monsters and ne’er-do-wells, and he was the cause of all the devastation.

Dusty would have voiced his panic, had all activity not suddenly stopped at the sound of the Royal Canterlot Voice. “I say thee, cease thy quarrel!” An alicorn flew into the hall, decked in full battle armor and flanked by several shadowy, grey pegasi.

Dusty gasped. That voice, that armor, that dark, starry magic! Nightmare Moon had returned, and she was coming for him!

Luna surveyed the battlefield, taking in the participants and the cause of the melee. Her eye caught her fallen sister, and her rage boiled over. “Who is responsible!?”

She was answered by a red, enveloping bubble of magic that spread across her body. She couldn’t move, couldn’t breathe, and couldn’t tell where it was coming from. She felt a burning sensation in her wings and legs, and a rush of power left her body. All of the air in her lungs was spent in a shriek of panicked horror.

The second alicorn princess, the night half of the duumvirate, collapsed unconscious to the floor.

The fighting never resumed, both Diamond Dogs and Royal Guards were too dumbstruck to do more than stare. Ominous chuckling drew everybody’s attention to the throne at the end of the room. The dark cloud that was Sombra hovered over the chair, and his eyes seemed to see everything at once.

“Now everypony here today
Bare witness to what I will say
My every word from this day forth
Holds as law in this royal court!”

He grinned as he looked across the room.

“Everypony will bow low
And give me the royal crown
Now come forth
Paying homage, and abide.

“You will hail me as your king
Of my praises you will sing
Or I will
Find a new use for your hides!”

Dusty had not moved an inch since he struck Luna down. He gazed upon Celestia’s fallen body, and saw one amethyst eye staring back. To his surprise, it was not angry, not even determined.

The former princess was crying.

Sombra’s new throne grew a series of dangerous-looking crystals, just to top off the look. He addressed the crowd once more. “Now, who will be the first to bow before me?”

The answer came almost immediately. “I shall be the first!” From behind the throne came a blond-maned unicorn stallion, clutching a rolled-up scroll under his foreleg.

The Unicorn King chuckled. “Blueblood, why am I not surprised?” He nodded his assent. “Go ahead, bow.”

Blueblood bent down, his horn touching the base of the throne. With a sudden flurry of movement, the unicorn tossed the scroll into the air, blinding Sombra. When the king had torn the parchment apart, he saw what Blueblood had concealed beneath the paper. The evil unicorn came face-to-face with Philomena, the royal pet phoenix.

The king was blinded a second time as Philomena released all of the pent-up solar energy that she had stored during the day. Rays of concentrated sunlight burst forth and penetrated Sombra’s very being. The crystal spikes that separated the crowds and locked the doors disintegrated, and the grey unicorn’s power was stunted. His scream was overpowered by Blueblood’s shout.

“Everypony, run while you can!”

Dusty snapped out of his trance. He unclasped the Alicorn Amulet and tossed it towards the throne, where it skidded to a stop. He raced out the door with the crowd, heedless of where he would go, or who he could turn to. He was jostled, and knocked down more often than not. The stallion saw Blueblood leading a group of soldiers out of the castle, pursued by the inky black monster that had controlled him for so long.

Sombra saw Dusty, and anger overtook his original purpose. “No! You belong to me!” He dove into the ground and a shadow flowed towards the earth pony, jutting up spikes every few feet.

Dusty ran. Dusty ran harder than he had in his entire life. The pain in his leg removed all thought from his mind besides “Get away!” He was about to be overtaken by the shadow, when he saw that he had run out of road.

Canterlot stood on the side of a great mountain, overlooking the entire country of Equestria. When Dusty stood at the edge of the cliff, he could see for miles, all the way to Ponyville. He took one last look at his town, at the library that he had once called home, and jumped.

Sombra flowed up to the edge of the cliff, and gazed into the fog below. He rested there a moment, before huffing in disgust. Nopony could survive a fall like that. The Unicorn King retreated, ready to conquer a kingdom.


Dusty Shelves hit the ground rolling, bouncing down a ledge that lay just beneath the fog cover. He tumbled down the mountain path and came to a stop just beside the family of five. The foal with the glasses looked at his mother. “Whoa! Where’d he come from!?”

The father leaned down next to the unconscious body, inspecting it. “Why, he’s still breathing! Quick, Taproot, get the first-aid kit!”

The family carried Dusty down the road in their cart, attempting to mend his broken body as best they could.

End First Movement

Author's Note:

Three individual songs in this one, one a reprise of Sombra's original ditty.

Speaking of songs, the music for the Diamond Dogs Creed (Part 4) is finished, and I just need to record it.
I'm having a hard time finding recording time, that's the big roadblock.

Sombra in G Minor (Part 2) is also nearly finished, just putting that out there.

So, you've seen the entire first arc, the First Movement. What do you think so far? Decent direction? Decent characterization?

Decent poetry? Because until I have music, that's all these songs are.

PreviousChapters Next