• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 560 Views, 5 Comments

Dusk - DuskbeforeDawn



New generation revolts against an evil king. The story begins with three average ponies who begin their path to change their world

  • ...
 5
 560

chapter 4

A Soaking Exit

There was a poof and the two ponies appeared in the empty courtyard. Luck looked around before jumping with glee and hoof-pumping. “It worked! It actually worked this time!” He then turned to Inkwell, who had landed in the fountain and was now fairly wet.

She grumbled a moment before jumping out and shaking the water off herself. Luckily, her saddlebags were waterproof. Slight Luck watched her exit the fountain, laughing the entire time. The canterlot citizens mumbled to each other slowly approaching the pair.

“Don’t worry citizens I have rescued the royal crown polisher from that horrible invader.” Luck said, the alarms could be heard in the distance. “Yes that horrible mule, with an accent, and a mustache.” The ponies backed slowly away from his madness. “Well miss Ink Bottle, I bid you adieu.”

“It’s not an inkbottle it is an inkwell!” she said, somewhat aggravated. “Pull your hat down, the world can see your horn.” She shook off the last bit of water before setting off though the gate that led to the main city area. “And why can’t I be the castle scribe in your lie?”

Luck followed her out, avoiding any awkward questions by pulling his hat down. “Because nopony would buy that a Pegasus can hold a quill and still write properly.”

Inkwell growled at him. “You don’t know me. So shut up.” She huffed and started trotting into the city proper. Luck followed.

“Oh miss, I do apologize for accidentally offending you but I have never met a Pegasus with talent in writing…” He apologized profusely, still following her.

She glared at him again. “Why are you following me, you’re a draft-dodger at the least- punishable by three years in a re-education facility and a hefty fine. At most you’re probably a terrorist- they hang for that.”

“Well…” Luck sweated a bit. “You seem to know your way around the city, as well as the penal code. I just arrived here today and you seem less inclined to turn me in to the authorities…” he skipped around until he was walking backwards, facing her. “Of course you could be faking all of this but I’m going to guess you’re not.”

“Damn straight. So let’s go work out an agreement on why I shouldn’t blab to a guard that I saw an unregistered unicorn wandering around.” She trotted off in the direction of a quiet café.

There was another commotion in the courtyard behind them. A few burly guards were hauling the blue earth pony librarian out of the castle.

The pony was squirming and protesting, but the guards threw him out into the dirt, before tossing out a set of saddlebags that looked pretty empty.

“We don’t need you any more, scram!” the guard on the left shouted before they returned back to the castle, slamming the door behind them.

The pony sat there looking at the wall.

“Hold on, I’ll be right back.” Luck said before trotting back to the librarian. “Come on, you. Let’s go get you some food.” He hauled the pony upright, grabbed his saddlebags, and started guiding him along. It stared at him, its pupils vibrating all around the area.

“Food,” it said it spun around and looked back at the castle. “Food,” it turned back to Slight Luck, “What?!” it yelled.

“You’re skin and bones. Whatever they’ve been feeding you isn’t cutting it. Come on, let’s get you some real food.” Luck started hauling his new companion along.

“I know a place. We can talk in private. Come on, then.” Inkwell led the way down an alley, the unicorn and earth pony following. “It’s not too far off.