• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 24,907 Views, 5,821 Comments

Forgiveness Pending - Kiroberos



Moon Mender's adventure continues right where left off. He jumps at the chance for a new life, but will his old one truly leave him in peace? Some things are better off forgotten.

  • ...
118
 5,821
 24,907

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 64

Everypony looked surprised at once as all eyes were instantly redirected onto Snapshot, who trotted in looking quite pleased with herself. "Mender, I was hoping I'd see you again soon! They've been super nice to me here, and you sent along awesome recommendations. For a strange, extra-dimensional alien, you're awesome!" she chirped, earning a blink from myself. Ah, she was just as crazy as I remembered.

"You're the one that attacked him in the woods!" Twilight growled in an instant, standing up next to me as her horn lit up, eyes narrowing.

Snapshot went from happy to terrified and dived behind the couch as Twilight snarled. Tia sighed lightly and held up a hoof, but Twilight wasn't even looking at her. Slipping up again, I bumped into Twilight's side and slowly pulled her back, kissing the side of her neck. "Twilight, calm down. She's cooperated with Tia so far, and seems honestly interested in redeeming herself," I tried to reason, rubbing the mare's shoulders as she huffed. A little stick popped out from the side of the couch, a white flag tied to it as it waved around. Wait, was she actually carrying that thing around with her, or did she anticipate problems?

"I'm sorry! He was significantly scarier then, and looked like he was going to kill me! I... Okay, yeah, accepting the job from the shady, cloaked stallion in the back alley was probably stupid on my part, but he offered me a lot of bits!" was called out from behind the sofa. Back alley?

"Snapshot is from here in Canterlot. We've investigated the alley fully, and found no evidence, as anticipated. She's given accurate descriptions of the stallion in question, and surprisingly, we have another eye witness account from a local baker that was dumping trash who saw her there with the stallion. She's also given us her contract," Tia explained further, sliding a roll of paper out of the guard's saddlebag next to her, and floating it towards us.

Twilight snatched it with her magic and unrolled it, frowning as she read the document. Snapshot peeked out from around the sofa, looking uncertain as she peered towards me instead. I didn't have the heart to mention that Twilight could have pulled the sofa apart at probably a molecular level, shredding her along with it if she were truly serious... Sure, she thought I was scary, but she'd never seen Twilight truly mad. Anypony whose subconscious rage could vibrate molecules fast enough to light the air on fire around her was to be feared and respected.

"So, her purpose was to take pictures of Mender to gain proof of his alien status, or that could be doctored easily to make proof," Twilight muttered, drifting the paper towards me instead. I picked it up with a barrier and pulled it in front of Fluttershy and me, the yellow mare peering over my foreleg curiously to read it alongside me.

"Heh, my pictures wouldn't have needed doctoring. The shots of Mender sprouting tentacles were crystal clear. Also, totally awesome if I might add," Snapshot chirped before suddenly frowning and continuing with, "Well, totally awesome when it stopped looking like he was going to rape, murder, and eat me, not necessarily in that order. Uh, I have to admit, ever since I was a little filly, I always wanted to meet an alien!" An alien? Wasn't that highly specific for a pony from Equestria? I didn't see many 'alien' stories floating around in their culture, actually.

"Uh, an alien, specifically?" Applejack asked, apparently picking up on my confused expression as well.

"Oh, well, yeah! An alien! Or Bighoof! Anything that's unique and awesome, really! My mom used to tell me stories when I was a kid about things like that," she revealed, wobbling back and forth on her legs as she swayed happily. Huh. She was a strange one. Well, so was her mother, apparently.

Pinkie looked ecstatic, however, and nodded along happily. "Oh, I know! Mender's tentacles are so fun! He picked me up with them once and was like, 'Woosh! Wooooosh!' and flew me around the room! It was awesome!" Pinkie exclaimed, causing me to sigh. I think she was missing a point somewhere. The sad thing was, I couldn't tell where, as now I was just confused.

"Psh, that's 'cause flying is awesome!" Rainbow declared, also totally missing the point.

"Two thousand bits for five photos? Wow," Fluttershy suddenly murmured. Eh? Oh yeah, that contract. I looked back down at it, and then snapped a picture to toss into my database. My optical character recognition picked up from there and converted it into text, which I analyzed. Two thousand bits for five clear photos to be delivered anonymously via crystal resonance projection. Alongside it was a warning about how monstrous and horrific I was, and to stay stealthy at all times, and assume homicidal intent if discovered. Okay then, somepony didn't know me very well, it would seem. Well, until you pushed enough buttons to get my more 'feral' mindset to take over, it would seem. I should really get a leash on that.

"See? It was a total steal. Of course, you were supposed to be a scary monster, but apart from going a little crazy after I attacked you, you're actually a fairly nice stallion! Huh. They really did lie to me, then," Snapshot muttered, appearing to ponder to herself. Twilight gave her a raised eyebrow, still looking slightly hostile, but more on an air of caution now. I couldn't decide if Snapshot was rather dense, or just outright insane, personally. Of course, me of all ponies calling somepony either of those was kind of ironic, in a tragic sense.

Spike, in the meantime, was busy looking at the photos themselves he'd retrieved from my file, and nodded. "Hey, these are still good photos. She caught Mender with his tentacles out and lifting Apple Bloom and Scootaloo," he pointed out. Yeah, I had to be more careful from now on.

"Snapshot has indeed given us a lot to work with, and several leads to follow. It's enough to clear her of immediate arrest. I'll explain more to you all tomorrow, however. It's getting late, as I'm sure you're aware. You’re staying in the guest rooms under Twilight’s old room in the tower, and your luggage has already been delivered,” Tia explained. Hmm. Yeah, we had arrived at fourteen hundred hours sharp, had an hour of prep time upon discovering we were holding a press conference. The event itself was a grueling three hours, which put us into eighteen hundred hours. I wouldn't be nearly so irked if eighty percent of the questions asked weren't totally pointless. I mean, really? Did the color of the stupid spire really matter? The location and shade projection of it?! The sheer volume of eye twitches alone that I had to suppress used up enough energy to make me quite hungry at this point.

Pinkie started hopping up and down in place, smiling suddenly. "Oh, oh, are we gonna get to eat in the awesome Royal Dining Room?!" she asked rapidly. Uh, for just us?

Celestia blinked, then started to explain, "Well, actually, I was just going to have..." Pinkie grinned a little wider, edging closer to her, and Tia frowned, backing up slightly and trying to continue with, "...to have them send... Uh..." The pink one edged even closer, shivering in excitement and suspense. Oddly, I felt tense, too, suddenly as I realized everypony in the room was locked onto Pinkie in fascination.

"Oh fine. Yes, you can eat in the Royal Dining Room..." Tia gave in a second later, exhaling as if a great weight was pulled from her chest the second Pinkie squealed and danced away, hopping. Okay, never mind. Pinkie was scary, too. How was I friends with so many scary ponies? Chuckling, I followed after the others as we headed towards the dining room instead, giving a wary eye towards Snapshot as she oddly saluted me as I passed. Yeah, I didn't want to know.

* * * * *

Admittedly, the food had been amazing, and I now knew why Pinkie had wanted to eat there. The sheer volume of desserts she'd ordered outweighed the actual meal by at least twice, about half of which she hauled back towards the room she was sharing with Rarity and Spike, one of the guest quarters, if I remembered right. Much to my amusement, that also meant Applejack and Rainbow were sharing sleeping arrangements, too. Dash blushed furiously, of course, and did not appear to appreciate my wink towards her after it was announced. At least Spike was happy.

Oddly, Snapshot sat directly to my right, sticking awfully close during the whole meal. Sure, I'd stuck up for her, but I didn't think the rest of the mares warranted unneeded fear or anything. Fluttershy was to my left, and Twilight was on the other side of her, shooting me strange glances every other time I looked towards her. After her apprehension levels spiked down the link when I glanced her way in return, I pretended not to notice on every other occasion.

"Yeah, I haven't had a chance to talk to you since they told me. It was, uh, a little surprising. What sort of alien are you?" Shining asked politely, giving me a curious glance as he sat across from me.

I smiled and snickered, shaking my head a bit. "Uh, the pony kind. I'm only technically an alien as I was born in another dimension. I came from Equestria, however. Or, at least, my biological mother did, as far as I can figure so far. I'm a normal pony, with some added parts here and there, and a scary weapon inside of me that I've essentially disabled on all fronts," I elaborated, upon swallowing my last bite of sandwich. Sandwiches were amazing!

Cadance giggled to his left, sliding her hoof along the white tablecloth for a moment before looking back up at me, smiling gently. In the warmer light of the mostly vacant dining room, I noted that she was indeed rather pretty. Her beauty was a regal sort, lacking the practicality of most of the mares I knew. I compared her closest to Rarity, honestly. I think I preferred a more natural sort of look, however. Twilight had a crisp feel to her features, and Fluttershy had an earthy, adorable feel to her that I loved.

"A scary weapon that's not the tentacles, armor, and claws? Interesting. What form does it take?" she asked, sounding curious. Really, a rampaging monster was probably scarier to them, given it being easier to understand and imagine. Still, I guess I might as well try to be honest.

"It takes two forms, actually. If I turn off my gravity dampener, as close as I can figure, I become an extremely powerful bomb. My mass to size ratio, due to the compressed space inside of me, would cause me to collapse into a singularity almost instantly, with a normalized gravity field radius of about a hundred and twenty kilometers," I attempted to explain. Nope. Two vacant stares met mine, and I sensed Twilight frowning again before I even looked over.

She turned, looking over at me with a mix of concern and horror. "Wait, a normal gravity at a hundred and twenty kilometers?! So, if you stood in the center of Ponyville, ponies in Canterlot would fall sideways towards you?" she asked in surprise. That much they understood, Shining widening his eyes at me.

"Yeah. Roughly. They're the lucky ones, though. Ponyville, and a good forty kilometers in each direction would be destroyed pretty much instantly, light itself not being able to escape the gravity effect. Where I'm from, they call that a 'Black Hole'. It's not pleasant," I added, causing Fluttershy to shiver lightly.

"I'm glad you locked that down hard. Should we ask about the other form?" he inquired, looking uncertain.

Sighing, I explained, "Planet consuming blob that eats mindlessly until everything's destroyed and the sun is consumed for energy. That's where my tentacles come from." Short and sweet, but it worked and only Twilight would get the extended version anyway.

He stared blankly at me, then raised an eyebrow as a tentacle extended out of my left shoulder, slipped over the table, and broke into smaller tentacles near the tip to gather additional ingredients for another sandwich in front of a now extremely delighted looking Pinkie Pie. Equally expected at this point, Snapshot also looked absolutely fascinated by the example.

"Mender, tentacles at the dining table aren't good manners. You could have simply asked one of us to pass you the sandwich materials," Rarity pointed out, smiling in amusement towards me from further down the table, across from Pinkie, who was lifting up stuff for the tentacles to grab now.

Shining, to his credit, didn't appear bothered by the actual tentacles at all, although Cadance gave them a wary glance. Instead, he asked, "Why would such a thing even be needed? What were your people so scared of?" Ah, he had to ask that, of course. Figures. At least it was an easy answer.

"The Grosh. A race of completely alien motives and mindset, bent on wiping out every species capable of space travel that wasn't them. Their technology was so far beyond ours that it was essentially a lost cause. The weapon inside of me was built in secret and had been intended to be used against them, to tear them apart endlessly as it consumed the rest of the galaxy, ignoring only those programmed in to be spared." It was painful to relay again, to my surprise. At this point, I thought I'd come to terms with the thing inside of me, but feeling and being aware of all that twisting, almost angry mass made me shudder. If I paid too much attention to the sensation, I caught a glimpse of the cold abyss that was inside of me, hungry to tear apart and eat everything it could, and my waking mind screamed in horror, reeling back from the mere presence of the beast within. It chipped away at my sanity the longer I considered it, and that was a precious enough commodity with me, so I tended to ignore the weapon entirely.

Cadance frowned, looking sad for a moment before asking, "That seems, well, horrible. Are you sure they attacked indiscriminately like that? Did anypony try just communicating with them?" Her disapproving tone didn't even register as my eyes widened.

A thousand times, I'd heard the same thing. They loved surprise attacks, often coming out of nowhere with a heavy alpha strike. It was always the same. Our job wasn't to combat them, but merely to buy time for civilian evacuation, taking losses so they didn't have to. It was thankless, of course. We were expected to die for them. Half of us were meaningless clones, some barely even considered 'intelligent'. Begging. I'd heard the screams of pain and sorrow so often, and it was always followed by begging. Some prayed to some higher power to save them. Others asked the Grosh themselves for mercy. Laughter was all we got in return, and they relentlessly murdered us.

A thousand images flashed through my head at once. Friends. Teammates. Squad members. The weapons used in-atmosphere were for 'cleansing' the matter and making sure they had the highest fatality rate possible. Thus, we saw horrible levels of overkill, like anti-personnel shells that exploded into clouds of spinning razor wires and flechettes, or acidic adhesive mists. Hardened bunkers got a pellet or two the size of a baseball shot towards them that were released uncontrolled from FTL, causing the air itself to fuse and explode into plasma and level the whole area. It was death. That's all they became to us.

Silence. It was more horrifying than the screams after an attack. That lonely silence that burned into your mind, as you realized how many weren't hearing it with you, and just how alone you were. My ears twitched, and I suddenly became aware of the actual silence around the table, distinctly realizing I'd dropped all of my sandwich materials and knocked the whole tray over when the tentacle went rigid. Damn it.

"Sorry," I whispered, my eyes softening as I quickly picked up the tray and put the ingredients back on it, my appetite totally gone now anyways as I tried to will the smell of blood away from my senses, refusing to look anypony in the eye. It was an odd sense of shame and disgust brewing in me, as I felt truly alien then, sitting there. Honestly, it was my experiences that separated me from them far more than my form.

"Mender," Fluttershy murmured, brushing her hoof along my shoulder. I pulled my tentacle back inside of me in an instant and recoiled, feeling like I was covered in filth and that I'd get it all over her if she touched me.

She squeaked, but I shook my head rapidly, realizing I was standing suddenly as my chair crashed against the wall somewhere behind me. "N-No! I'm fine. I'll be, uh, okay. I just need some air," I excused. Their eyes were all on me, and I knew they saw me as not like them. The sensation burned into my mind, spiraling around me and making me want to scream. But I didn't. My eyes lost their focus as I made myself not look at any of them, turning and running towards the door with a moderate pace.

Nopony stopped me. I just kept running, the tension, frustration and panic flooding through my chest in a screaming ache. I stumbled and fell some time later, long after I lost sense of how long I'd been running. I rolled and slammed into the wall at the base of one of the towers, not even feeling the sensation as I curled up there, panting and gasping as the sweat slid down my coat. The nausea was intense, and I fought the light-headedness and urge to throw up as the smell of blood overwhelmed me. No! I wasn't there! It wasn't even me!

Slowly, my heart calmed and the world stopped spinning around me. I became more aware of the smell of the flowers in the garden I laid next to, and that terrible smell faded. No, I was never going to be rid of this. Ever. I just lay there on my side, mouth partially open with a slowly expanding puddle of drool wetting the cool cobblestone under me. I just didn't care. The Moon was rising on the horizon now, spreading soft darkness with it that was gently illuminated by its own inner glow. I knew it was magical just from looking at it, and felt myself calm. My name was appropriate, given my affinity for night, it would seem.

I didn't even flinch at the flash of light to my right somewhere. Twilight slowly walked up, the gentle beats of her hooves echoed in the relative silence, and I felt her stop right next to me. Was she mad? Sad? Worried? Her link slowly caught up with her instantaneous movement, and I felt distinct concern as she gently lay down right next to me, pushing her warm body into mine.

We lay there for quite a while, neither of us saying anything. She didn't have to, me knowing she was worried, and her knowing exactly how 'blended' my emotions felt at the moment. I didn't even bother trying to hide it from the link. Far away, I also felt sadness, and anger from others. I listened a little more carefully, and felt that Fluttershy had been told to finish eating, and Rainbow was seething. Pinkie felt sad, and I remembered she didn't like seeing her friends fight.

"Cadance apologizes. She... She doesn't know, Mender," Twilight finally spoke, barely a whisper.

"I know. I'm not angry with her," I returned, realizing a while ago that her feelings were based off everything she knew of Equestria. That's why I loved it here.

Twilight sighed and nodded against my shoulder. "I know. You're understanding. A lot better than I am with that. There's so much I don't understand. But I know that, deep down, you're really angry, Mender," she added, followed by kissing my shoulder lightly.

I shivered and swallowed, not saying anything. Bitterness. I was so bitter, and spiteful. It was a different kind of anger. Rational understanding had nothing to do with it. I knew why Applejack sided with Twilight, and why she broke four of my ribs, fragmenting two through my lungs. I could be rational and understand that. But that wasn't enough. Deep down, I was bitter. She had 'betrayed' me, not even giving me the slightest indication that I was to be trusted. As I recoiled from that pain, a subconscious part of me blamed every drop of it on her. I wanted to deny it. To erase that part of myself. But it reared its ugly head regardless.

"My subconscious is different. On that level, um, I'm angry with Applejack for not trusting me. I'm also angry with you two, because it thinks you betrayed me. I'm mad at Pinkie and Rarity as well, for feeling totally insensitive. Rainbow, too, for being selfish and ignoring what I wanted, instead going with what she wished for. Sweetie bothers me as well, more out of self-disgust of not wanting to take advantage of her and knowing she doesn't even know what she wants herself. All of those things I can reason away, but they don't really go away," I muttered, unable to stop once I started. Honesty. It burned horribly, but felt amazing at the same time in a twisted sort of duality.

Twilight didn't flinch through any of it, keeping her head lightly resting on my shoulder. I knew that she knew it all already, but it still felt cathartic to get out of my mind. "Do you trust us when we say that we'll make it up to you? Fixing your inner viewpoints is a slow and gentle process, Mender," she assured, pushing herself a little harder into me. I raised my right foreleg up for her as she slipped in against my stomach, surprisingly ignoring my drool as well as she kissed me lightly.

I have no idea how long we rested together like that, kissing softly back and forth under the darkening sky, belly to belly. There was nothing urgent really, and I felt no need to consult Clocky, even. Her fur tickled mine as her chest joined against me, too, her heart lightly thudding in time with my own. Slowly, oh so slowly, I felt that tension ease up under her patient ministrations. It was hard to miss at this point. She cared about me. Maybe even loved me. Forgiving was easy for me to say, yeah, but understanding that she truly wanted it and wanted me to fully forgive her was comforting.

Her own feelings mixed well with mine through the link as we snuggled. I felt the tension from her as well as it slid away. This had been a rough few days for her, too, and I suddenly understood as much. She gets, well, crazy like that when she panics more than anything. I knew that much already, although that was definitely the worst I'd seen it. But what I'd missed at the time was she wasn't just panicked over Fluttershy. I'd been her first target, and suddenly it all clicked. She'd been freaking out for almost two days straight about sending out that form. She even mentioned at Fluttershy's that she was afraid I was going to dump them. She was scared. Very, very scared. That meant that I was indeed important to her after all. Sure, the herd didn't revolve around me, but as selfish as the inner Mender was sometimes, I realized that was how things were 'supposed' to work.

It was an odd feeling, 'sensing' Fluttershy's smile as she glided towards us through the warm air. Twilight felt it, too, her eyes opening and her muzzle drifting a little away from mine, strands of saliva still connecting our lips as she blushed lightly, then looked 'up' towards Fluttershy, according to her orientation anyway.

"I'm glad you two are okay," Fluttershy whispered softly upon landing next to us and sitting down. Twilight smiled and hooked the mare's foreleg with her own, earning a widening of the smile until she tugged backwards, pulling Fluttershy over and onto us instead.

"Better than okay. I'm feeling amazing, and I apologize, but I started the process of making it up to Mender early," the lavender mare apologized, winking towards Fluttershy.

Snickering, I fake scoffed and turned my head up, closing my eyes. "Is that what you're doing? Here I thought you were just being affectionate," I chided.

Fluttershy giggled oh so lightly before rotating and flopping fully into us instead. "We do enjoy giving you affection, too, Mender, because we get affection back. You, um, really care for us, don't you? You have to after all this. Most stallions would have just, well, dumped us," she muttered, smiling softly afterwards, but looking just a little sad. It was easy enough to feel down her link, too, and I pulled both of them closer, nodding.

"I care for both of you. If I get, um, braver in the future, I'll admit to loving you both as well. That's essentially all I wanted for all of last week. Rainbow and Sweetie being flirty with me was... It was frustrating. It reminded me constantly of the two mares I missed instead," I admitted, remembering those sensations as well. It hadn't been pleasant.

"You're with us now, Mender. Don't worry. We're not going anywhere, and you're not going to have to leave us next year. I don't care anymore. I'm going with you next time," Twilight assured, earning a nod of agreement from Fluttershy.

I chuckled and nodded to both of them before taking a risk and teasing with, "You just are interested because I can fire blanks, right?" Fluttershy blushed lightly and giggled, but Twilight's eyes shot open wide almost instantly.

"W-Wait, you can? Seriously?!" she asked a heartbeat later, jaw dropping open. Well, I wasn't expecting that reaction to the news...

"Yeah, turns out that I have a lot of different, uh, options I didn't know about before. I don't exactly know why I was given all these, but..." I added. Actually, now that I thought about it, why did I have these options? Switching DNA sets, heavily augmented virility, cosmetic tweaking... Why did a scout need all that?!

Twilight stared at me for a moment, and then frowned. "We should really investigate your various systems and properly document them. I want to help you figure out these things, too," she requested firmly, a sense of duty and discipline drifting back up the link.

"Let's all learn about them. I might not be able to help as much as Twilight, but I want to understand you more, Mender," Fluttershy added, smiling slowly up at me. Huh. I hadn't expected them to be interested.

"Heh. Shall we go up to the room anyway, before I share more of my inner workings, then?" I suggested, peeking around slowly. Nopony was within my significantly enhanced vision, but I was still paranoid.

There sadly wasn't time, however, as the world imploded inwards, everything falling in around us as we seemed to shrink to nothing. In the same instant, it all popped back out again into relative darkness. Fluttershy gave a squeak as a burst of terror shot down her link, but I pulled her close as Twilight's horn lit up with magic.

Fluttershy inhaled softly against my fur as Twilight focused, and one by one, lamps turned on around the room. To my surprise, Fluttershy calmed down first, keeping her face pressed into my chest instead. A strong urge to guard her sprung up, and I rested my head on top of hers, whispering, "It's okay, Fluttershy. Look around."

The yellow mare opened her eyes again and peeked about upon my request. Twilight smiled gently at her, extending her hoof out and gesturing in a wide arc around her bedroom. I added to the effect by shifting my weight slightly and causing us to bounce on the mattress of Twilight's massive bed. Actually, if this was her room from her years as a filly, why was her bed so huge?

"Yup, we're safe," Twilight assured, flopping over backwards and pulling the still uncertain mare with her. I smiled and watched as Fluttershy shifted to a smile instead, then giggled momentarily before Twilight pulled her down into a soft kiss. Oh! Watching them now brought about significantly different feelings than during the party. This kiss was intentionally for one. Also, the fact that they were officially a pair now slammed through me. Did that mean that Fluttershy cheated on Twilight with me? It didn't matter, of course, but I suddenly realized how very much alone I felt. Not since realizing my true nature had I felt like this.

I was more careful this time, pushing the feelings away quickly and keeping them from the link. Both mares were distracted as well, probably contributing to them not noticing. Me interrupting their moment with my feelings would be rude, as I knew this was their first time together in relative privacy since the bath that night we got back. I'd had a lot more of Fluttershy since...

Distraction. I needed to think about something else. Turning, I noticed that our bags had indeed been delivered properly, and were sitting at the entrance to the main chamber in the other, darkened room. Ah, that would do!

I didn't even touch the floor, the purple aura catching me mid-hop. Blinking, I looked back at Twilight, who smirked as she hauled me back towards them, Fluttershy smiling softly from on top of her. "Oh no you don't. Unpacking can wait until tomorrow. For now, we have a lot to talk about and even more snuggling to make up for. You are part of the herd, too, and that will be official tomorrow," Twilight assured promptly. Crap, she'd heard that after all?

"Um, actually, I told her. I'm sorry, Mender. I just don't like you feeling sad," Fluttershy corrected, voice whispering through my head. Oh, I forgot how good she was at the links. Still, I hadn't been mad anyways, and it was impossible to stay angry with them anymore.

"It's fine, Fluttershy. I just wanted you two to get some time together. I've been kind of hogging Fluttershy the past day or so," I reasoned after getting set back down next to them.

Twilight giggled and nodded, to my surprise, before adding, "You're nice like that, but there's a flaw in your logic." Oh? She nodded to my curious burst down her link, and continued with, "I want you, too. Brushing your teeth and other stuff can wait. Come on." Her horn lit up again and slid the covers out from under us a moment later. I immediately fell on my face, of course, having not anticipated the surface I was standing on to suddenly pull out from under me.

I heard a giggle, and turned in time to be pulled into two warm, yellow and lavender masses as the covers were pulled back over us. Fluttershy shifted gently a moment later, sliding over so she snuggled into both of us instead as I rotated to properly face Twilight, her forelegs hooking around mine gently.

"Good. Let's stay nice and comfy for a while, okay? We can talk like this, and I'll take notes later on your systems," Twilight explained, nodding twice towards me.

"Oh, if you wanted to take notes..." I offered, my left eye lighting up slightly. The projection was onto the mattress between us instead this time, and I opened up my note-taking program I'd made, showing the notes I already had on my inner workings as I scrolled through them.

Twilight looked more than a little surprised before grinning, suddenly. "You have a note program?!" she asked, already drawing upon a term I'd given her about my workings. Heh. I started to nod, when she squeaked with glee and lunged forwards, pushing her lips into mine again, to Fluttershy's happy giggling. Oh boy. What had I gotten myself into with these two?

* * * * *

Doing precise things was so much easier with magic. I didn't care what Twilight said about relying too much on mine. I didn't see her brushing her teeth by hoof! No, she levitated almost everything purely out of instinct. Personally, I didn't know how Fluttershy managed to make this look so easy. Of course, she had almost two decades of practice, I supposed, being nineteen.

The mare in question carefully flushed the toilet a meter or so to my left as I focused on getting the back teeth. I sensed a bit of embarrassment from her suddenly, and frowned as I glanced over at her. To my surprise, she'd stopped and was staring at my toothbrush instead. That was weird. Why was my toothbrush embarrassing to... Oh. Ack!

"I said I was sorry!" I yelped upon quickly spitting out the suds.

Fluttershy's blush deepened, but she smiled and nodded, adding, "I know. It's just embarrassing to remember." Well, yeah. That was a given.

"This is Mender we're talking about. Him finding your toy collection and having a 'battle' with them honestly isn't that bad," Twilight pointed out idly from her leaning spot in the doorframe.

Turning, I shot her a glare, but she wore an amused smile instead and I just rolled my eyes. Fluttershy shifted back and forth on her hooves, blushing horribly now as well. Instead, I focused on her and sent calming thoughts, smiling towards the yellow mare instead. She relaxed her fidgeting and smiled at me as well, then squeaked as I reached out and pulled her into a gentle hug. She was so adorable, and I'd never let anything hurt her.

I 'felt' Twilight send a warmer smile our way as she continued looking over the notes we'd completed. It was almost ten now, and Fluttershy was getting tired, so we all agreed to call it a day. Early for the lavender mare, no doubt, but it would have to suffice. Of course, if Rarity hadn't suggested Spike stay with Pinkie and her, we probably would have been asleep by now anyways, if only because he kept an earlier bedtime.

"There are definitely lots of mysteries involved with this. These two upload times are important, I can just feel it," Twilight muttered a moment later, earning our attention again as I turned and walked over, alongside Fluttershy.

The yellow pegasus nodded, looking uncharacteristically concerned again before adding, "Yeah. Plus, why did they give him all those things to make him really, really virile and capable of switching DNA?" That... That was a very good question.

Twilight sighed and shook her head, flicking my holographic display with her hoof and scrolling back up it. She took to technology amazingly fast, once I realized I could project a barrier onto the display for 'touch' capabilities. "Honestly, most of those reproductive functions were added at the same time as the first information upload. That same upload added the schematics for that weapon, set it to be created inside Mender, and then go off. Can it really be coincidental that Mender suddenly finds himself in possession of billions of Keldarian DNA and the ability to switch to producing viable reproductive material with them?" she questioned, deduction ability as sharp as ever. That wasn't a pretty conclusion, however.

"Considering it was from the same source, no. It can't be coincidence," I muttered, sitting down next to my two fillyfriends

Twilight smiled and leaned in again, kissing me gently on the cheek. "I know it's scary, Mender, but you should watch that video soon. Both of us can watch it with you if you'd like, and we'll be here for you if you need us. It's better to know everything sooner, so we can fix or prepare for something than ignore it," she reminded gently. I flattened my ears back, but Fluttershy bombarded my link with warm feelings as she nodded twice, smiling towards me.

"Y-Yes! Twilight and I are here for you. You're part of our herd, and we care for you," she added a moment later, giving me her determined look again. I shuddered, barely resisting the urge to pounce her and squeeze her until she squeaked. Although, admittedly, she'd probably squeak before I squeezed her, so that didn't make much difference...

Twilight frowned at that, thinking to herself for a moment before revealing, "I also want to try some of Rarity's suggestions for trust exercises tomorrow. Most of them don't require any special equipment or anything, and we can do them right here in the castle. I need to trust Mender as much as he needs to trust me."

I nodded quietly before getting somewhat curious. "What are some of these exercises?" I asked, tilting my head towards her.

"Oh, nothing too elaborate. The 'fixing the herd' thing is going to be big for me, but I need to show you that I fully intend to include you. I have to. Other than that, there are basic exercises to do. Blindfolded leading, and catching each other as we fall," she elaborated, smiling towards me after. Heh, the brat knew I would have tried to counter the herd part.

"Not to put a damper on it, but leading me around blindfolded, or making me purposefully fall seem like really bad ideas. But eh, Rarity knows her stuff and hopefully the castle will survive," I admitted, scratching under my chin with my right hoof.

Twilight gave me an amused nudge before standing up fully, stretching out and cracking her back. "Regardless, we should get some sleep now. My turn to use the bathroom. You two can go lie down if you'd like," she offered, slipping past me and towards the toilet.

Looking towards Fluttershy instead, I smiled and gestured towards the exit of the bathroom. She nodded and wandered past me, flicking her tail up almost automatically as I turned to follow her. My eyes widened as she got me in the face, blasting me with those oh so lovely smells before trotting onwards. Gah! Okay, she'd gotten so used to it being 'okay' that she did so subconsciously now.

Head swimming a little, I trotted after her, trying to keep my eyes off her swaying rump before hopping up onto the massive bed. Fluttershy gave me a soft smile as she slid over, and I moved in next to her on the right side of the bed. The blankets were amazingly soft, and the mattress itself was extremely comfortable. Twilight was really pampered with this thing!

The yellow mare slipped up to me and tucked her head under mine as I pulled the covers back over myself. Smiling, I squeezed her gently, rubbing her sides with my hooves and relaxing there. She shivered oh so slightly, and my eyes widened as I felt her muzzle push against my neck, kissing me gently there. "I missed you a lot during estrus. I know I kinda said it already but, well, I wanted you to know how much," she whispered, her hips shifting forwards and pressing more solidly against mine as our back legs entwined. Her body was a lot warmer than the sheets and I held her close, feeling my fur puff up a little at the contrast.

I didn't know exactly what to say to that, the bitterness from earlier still there. I settled for the truth, after a few seconds of consideration. "I'm sorry, Fluttershy. I forgive you for everything that happened, but my subconscious doesn't. I can't... I can't make it forgive you," I muttered, closing my eyes as another bout of frustration shot through me. I was angry. Maybe I should invest in a punching bag to vent on? Of course, if I were really venting, it wouldn't last long. Maybe just a sturdy looking rock would do?

Her grip tightened, like she thought I'd fade away if she eased up. "I know. Things have to get a lot better first. You... You really are equal, Mender. We'll fix this tomorrow, and then you will be. Then, all that's left would be for Twilight to, um..." she whispered gently. She didn't need to finish, our link telling me her meaning easily enough.

"Twilight doesn't have to do anything with me if she doesn't want to, Fluttershy. She has to feel comfortable with it, and really want to," I reminded gently. It wasn't essential for the herd regardless, seemingly more of a formality than anything.

Fluttershy exhaled softly, pecking my shoulder lightly. "I know. But she will eventually, right? She likes you like that, too, I think. She's just nervous," she pondered out loud, seemingly unsure of herself. I couldn't help but find it a little cute, and smiled to myself.

"Maybe. I'm not sure what a romantic relationship without sex would be like, but that's Twilight's choice, not ours," I pointed out. Fluttershy blushed again at my frank wording, and shivered lightly. Well, without sex with me, anyways. That did seem sort of one-sided, but I decided it was pointless thinking about it before it became a reality.

"Well, um, I... I'm not afraid of you like that. You'd never hurt me, and it feels so amazing to know that. You protect me and I can, well, be as open as I want with you and share such a wonderful experience with you. I feel like I don't have to be afraid of anything when you're there," she continued, surprising me with her openness already displayed. She really was getting more and more trusting of me, I realized.

Oh so gently, I pulled her closer against me and held her, feeling her shiver as her wings flicked out and then in again quickly. Her heartbeat against my fur slowly started to pick up, and I opened my eyes again in time to see her leaning up towards me. Oh!

It didn't exactly take much to convince me, and I met her half way, kissing her lightly as my right hoof slipped up higher, cradling the back of her neck under her mane as she relaxed against me. She was beautiful, and as soft and fluffy and sickeningly sweet as it felt to me, I wanted to be with her forever.

At that moment, she felt my emotions and apparently decided the same thing, pushing into me fully as her eyes closed, the warmth shared between us as her lips opened just a little. It was naughty, but she invited me, so I took the bait and deepened the kiss, hearing her groan lightly as my tongue played along hers. That heated sensation burned through us and I felt giddy, feeling her wings open up slowly as I dominated the kiss. She always retreated into her own mouth like this, I noticed. At first I'd thought she was trying to treat me or something, but the surge of pure delight was unmistakable, as usual. I'd realized a bit ago that she liked me being in charge, innately slipping into a submissive role. It was awkward for me, as I was never sure if she'd like the direction I was moving us in, but the link made that easier, too, giving me immediate feedback as to my performance.

Right now, it was somewhere in the ecstatic range, I noticed. A burst of undiluted pleasure shot down the link as Fluttershy wrapped her forelegs around my neck and pulled me deeper into the kiss, earning a heated groan. Her taste was...

There was a light crash in the bathroom, and a somewhat dizzy looking Twilight Sparkle wandered out a second later, staring at us with a bewildered glance. We broke apart at the noise, and I stared back blankly, wondering what exactly was going on when I noticed how absolutely flushed she looked.

"I... I can feel every single thing you two are doing! A-Ah! C-can this please wait, um, just a day even? Just not tonight?!" Twilight begged quickly, looking beyond flustered. Fluttershy matched her color in blushing, and I just sighed. Figured that was a bad idea. That didn't stop it from being an 'enjoyable' bad idea, but I was a bit miffed at Twilight, too. Still, it was her room. And she looked terrified, which made me feel somewhat like a jerk.

Fluttershy squeaked, looking back and forth between the two of us before whimpering and shaking her head quickly. Eh? "T-Twilight, um, could we maybe talk please, if it's not too much trouble?" she asked quickly, surprising me.

Twilight flattened her ears back, still quite red and suddenly looking uncertain at Fluttershy, too. "Um, sure. Where do you...?" she started.

"The bathroom." Fluttershy hopped up and off the bed almost as fast as she returned her reply, and I was left mildly confused and alone in a very dark room as she pushed Twilight gently into the bathroom and shut the door. "Twilight, you need to..." was all I heard before the door closed.

Sighing, I turned off my amplified hearing and the links, realizing she obviously wanted privacy to talk to Twilight. The shy mare usually didn't act like this unless something was bothering her. I took a vague shot in the dark and guessed that it was Twilight's reaction to our little show across the link. Wonderful.

A light ping shot in from Pinkie's link a second later. Eh? "Hey, Mender. Is everything okay? I felt Fluttershy's and Twilight's links disappear," the pink one mentally asked a moment later, tone sounding uncharacteristically concerned. Oh? Oh yeah, if there was anypony more skilled with the links than Fluttershy, it was her.

"Oh, yeah, they're both fine. They wanted some privacy to talk about something, so I turned the links off," I explained absently. Seriously, to feel that at this distance... There was one room per floor of this tower, and I knew Applejack and Rainbow were under us. That meant Pinkie sensed that through a good twenty meters and two solid barriers.

The pink one exhaled gently, and I 'felt' her nod as easily as if she were in the room with me. It was beyond weird to 'see' somepony without actually seeing them. "I'm glad they're okay! I've been worried about you three since estrus. They were really, and I mean, really torn up about it all, and you got really sad. I don't like it when my friends are upset or sad," she revealed. I smiled to myself, but knew she felt it anyway and nodded.

"Thanks, Pinkie. Really, you're an amazing friend," I thanked. Honestly, she'd 'only' poisoned me and dunked me in acid. Comparatively speaking, that wasn't that bad.

She giggled at my reference and nodded again, giving me another shiver down the spine. "You're a super, duper, awesome friend, too! I'm glad things are getting patched up now. Oh, and I'm really glad Fluttershy's been getting more comfy with you! She really cares for you, and I know that letting you closer has helped both of you! The adorable and happy feelings you two share through the link is amazing!" she squeaked out, sounding ecstatic.

I chuckled, then coughed slightly and frowned. Wait... "Uh, how much exactly can you, um, feel down those links, Pinkie?" I inquired, a bit concerned suddenly.

Louder giggling was followed with, "Oooh, lots! Like that thing where she uses her tongue to-"

Nope! Pinkie's link turned off in an instant, and disappeared to echoing laughter from the pink mare, who was undoubtedly getting a kick out of my misery over it. That better have been a prank... Brat! Groaning out, I shuddered and just rolled over onto my side, not wanting to think about that aspect at all. Damn it!

Staring into the dark, I sighed tiredly, the soft voices whispering through the wall next to me, revealing only the fact that they were still talking. Heh. At least that meant they weren't rutting each other. Chuckling mentally at the somewhat bitter thought, I relaxed and closed my eyes, head still swimming with a chaotic blur of thoughts.

I have no idea how long I lay there, wishing that the night would just be over and I could get on with tomorrow. It came out of nowhere, and I gave a start of surprise. A ping, but not from my 'network'. Fainter, and slower. I knew who it was instantly by it being the only one of its kind. Keela...

Falling into myself, I opened my eyes in my own three-dimensional space and turned the link on. Nothing happened, only silence on the other end. Listening closer, I heard a quiet breathing, barely audible, and relaxed, resting there and waiting. Seconds passed in silence before I heard a light sniff, and then she whined lightly.

"I... I'm sorry, Mender. I'm sorry," she whispered, voice barely there. I swallowed uneasily, and pinged her back twice. There was a slight hesitation, before I felt her tail lift up and gently push the ‘on’ button on the stabilization unit that was apparently next to her. She'd anticipated me, or used her magic to guess at probability, being the leading divination specialist before everything went to hell.

My form faded in next to her in a heartbeat, the book that suddenly found itself at my side humming to life with immense inner power. The room was her bedroom, and slightly messier than the last few vague shots I got of it based off proximity to her, and my very brief sojourn on the train here. It looked like it had been searched, from a professional standpoint. Based on our last interaction, probably to get any weapons away from her.

Keela herself looked worse than the room did. Her eyes were bloodshot, fur and hair messy and matted in a few spots, and her whole tiny frame shook as she stayed tucked into a ball with her face in her knees, leaning against the wall next to her bed. There were no accessories in her hair this time, and it hung loosely to her shoulders. Further, she wore nothing but her underwear, the rest probably removed so she couldn't conceal any weapons until her condition improved. Her eyes told me she wasn't going to try, however.

"I'm... I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, Mender," she apologized again, making it sound more like begging than anything. Slowly, I walked up to her instead and sat down in front of her, frowning. A burden. She felt she was a burden on me. On all of Equestria. That feeling I could sympathize with.

"Keela... I think I know what you're feeling, but we need to talk. We needed to talk before it came to you trying to kill yourself," I explained gently. She winced and shuddered a second later, but didn't look away. No, I'd learned my lesson. No good came from running away from or skirting issues.

Nodding to her, I continued with, "But first, I need you to promise something. If you ever feel doubt, or fear, or loneliness, tug at that connection inside of you first. You're not alone, and don't need to act like you are," I requested.

She stared at me for a moment, tears sliding down her cheeks still, but nodded regardless. "I'm sorry, Mender. It's all falling apart and I didn't know what to do and... I thought I could at least be useful to, and help someone else if I, um, got rid of the link," she whispered, eyes softening and looking down again.

I clicked with my tongue and she shuddered, forcing her gaze back up to me as I nodded gently to her. "Relax, Keela. I'm only upset that you think you mean so little to me. Calm down and take a deep breath. What's wrong?" I asked, realizing it was probably more than her sister being psychotic.

The Keldarian exhaled slowly and nodded, looking a bit more focused, if nothing else. "I'm lost and confused. I've never led anything bigger than a short survey operation, and everyone is looking to me for leadership and important decisions. I've tried everything I can think of to be fair and keep us all alive, but... I can't do this. I'm not a leader, and I'm just going to get us all killed," she groaned out, sinking into her knees again.

"Keela, you're a strong individual. You don't give yourself enough credit. What exactly is wrong that you think you can't handle? You've been doing amazingly well so far, and I doubt this will be any different," I pointed out, turning and sitting down next to her instead. She was as riddled with self-doubt as I was. It was strange how my own flaw put me in a unique position to at least cheer her up.

She sighed, sliding her finger down her leg before unfurling and stretching out instead, giving me a tired stare. "Where to begin? This mining rig is falling apart at the seams, for one. Without parts and proper repairs, we have maybe a week, tops, before larger ruptures hit," she started, shuddering afterwards.

"Larger?" I asked, raising an eyebrow towards her curiously.

"There was a breach this morning in one of the emergency air ducts. It blew off one of the extra compressed air tanks and exploded, taking out one of our rotary engines," she revealed.

I sighed weakly, biting my tongue as to not mention the merits of making sure things were sealed properly when working with anything 'compressed'. "Isn't there anypony doing maintenance?" I asked instead, switching to a skeptical expression.

Keela smiled to herself and shook her head, returning, "No, there isn't 'anypony' doing maintenance. We have one male who's good at electrical work, but that only covers a fraction of the repairs that are needed. He tries, but... I'm not going to ask him to do anything risky," she refuted.

"Not asking you to. I'll show you how to make any repairs you need to this thing if you can get the parts. Rim systems. Look for abandoned or forgotten celestial bodies and scan for debris. Any parts will work, or even raw metal if you can find it," I suggested, considering it for a moment.

Keela stared at me in surprise, a blank look on her face before she slipped up to her feet and grabbed her personal organizer off her bed stand. "I didn't think about looting. The Grosh do leave a lot of stuff behind. It might be possible to reclaim some of it. You... You'd really do that for us?" she asked softly, turning to look at me with a hesitant expression.

"I'm not going to let you all die, no. Relax, Keela. I'm an engineer, and I can at least instruct, even if I don't have a body to fix it myself. Get me a diagnostics panel, and I'll start tossing up notes," I requested, nudging my muzzle towards the nearby console.

Keela grinned and nodded, carrying the organizer over and accessing the keypad on the computer. She snapped her fingers a second later and a second stool lifted into the air from the other side of the room and drifted over. I hopped up on it and accessed the damage reports out of pure instinct. I'd done this before, thousands of times, I realized instantly.

"This is a mess," I reported blankly, a half a minute later. Most of the reports weren't about damaged areas so much as upkeep or restoration work that they didn't know how to do. She nodded idly while watching me, and then widened her eyes as my left hoof faded into a few hundred tiny tentacles instead, and they started rapidly flicking across her keyboard.

One by one, I threw notes and small diagrams into the system, attached to every single flagged damage report that was logged. None of the information was mine, of course. 'He' knew how to fix all of it, and I just let his memories guide the notes. Keela just watched the process with no small amount of awe as I let them write themselves, for the most part. Five minutes later, a hundred and fifteen notes were added into the system, covering eighty-seven percent of the damage reports.

I halted and frowned, my proximity sensors going off, and then indicating physical contact on the other side. Damn it. Of course, now they had to finish. "Other side?" Keela asked, smiling lightly as she saved my progress so far.

"Yeah. I guess Twilight and Fluttershy are done talking and want my attention again," I muttered, frowning as I shifted my hoof back.

"Relax, Mender. You've given us enough repairs to keep us busy for a week, and saved our butts, big time! Go back to your mares," she assured, obviously just trying to placate me, but I knew she meant well. Sighing, I nodded and hopped off the chair again, starting to turn to look at her.

Instead, two furred arms lightly wrapped over my shoulders, and she hugged me gently from behind. There was a bit of shakiness to her still, and I felt her squeeze lightly. "Thank you, Mender. Really. Not just for the notes but, um, just for keeping me company and being my friend. I have no idea what I'm doing and, um... Well, it probably would sound a bit weird, but... What would you say if I asked you to sorta take over?" she inquired timidly.

I froze, and then slowly turned around to look at her with wide eyes. She grinned sheepishly towards me instead, and nodded. "I'd say... 'You're doing a fine job yourself, and shouldn't try to pass on important management positions to extra-dimensional entities.'?" I offered weakly. Of course, she started to laugh...

PreviousChapters Next