• Published 20th Dec 2012
  • 1,808 Views, 19 Comments

Observations - Tolerance



When a mysterious visitor arrives asking for Twilight's research involving Pinkie Sense, she must decide whether to help with or thwart his research. Although the real question is, just how has he managed to not run into Pinkie Pie himself?

  • ...
3
 19
 1,808

Day Two

Day 2:

I awoke at my usual time, to the smell of Spike's cooking. On my way to the kitchen, I noticed that Stein was nowhere in sight. I asked Spike about it, and he said that Stein had just left to 'take care of some things' in town. Stein had also said that he would be back soon and that Spike wouldn't have to worry about cleaning up the papers that he had left on the floor when he left.

It was at about this time that your response to my request returned. Your news that nopony by the name of Stein had ever been registered among any magical research group was of no real surprise. The fact that I had never even heard of the method Stein described of empowering magic attuning crystals brought me to the conclusion that either he was from a very distant lab, or he was just lying about what he did for a living. I made a mental note to ask him where he's from the next time I spotted him. Whether or not I would receive the truth from him when I did, was another matter entirely.

I asked Spike if he knew where Stein had headed.

“He didn't say, but man, that guy seems to be more of a night-owl than even Owlowiscious!”

“Oh? Stein was still awake when you came down this morning?” I asked.

“That's right. I thought your study habits were weird but didn't he just get here?”

“Yes, he got here late last night-Wait, what do you mean my study habits are weird?”

“Um, I mean, didn't he give you something science-y last night?”

“Oh, I think Stein called it Flux, which is actually some sort of magical attune-” I started before I had noticed Spike's blank stare. “It's a newer form of magic. One that is usually used to give a spell to an object, like the Levitation spell we used on Rainbow Dash's pet tortoise.” I finished.

“Well, why didn't you just say that?”

Spike isn't known for being studious, so any further discussion wouldn't really benefit either of us. There were a few more tests that I could perform on my sample before I started to run out of material, so I decided to head back down to the basement until Stein returned and I could question him again.

~@~

A little background information about what I had learned about attunement spells may highlight my interest in the new material. In order to help Rainbow's pet, Tank, keep up with her. I had created a flight charm, which basically consists of a magically charged crystal attuned to the same type of magic as the type of spell that is needed. In this case, the Levitation spell is affixed to the metal casing of the charm through engraving it onto the metal casing of the charm itself. Doing so allows non-unicorns to be able to activate the spell as long as there is a sufficient amount magical energy within the central gemstone.

Depending upon the size of the crystal used in the charm, and the energy needed for the enchantment, the spell can be cast multiple times without needing to be recharged. The only downside is, that the charm can only be recharged by a unicorn who has skill in the type of spell being used. What Stein had given me, however, seemed to defy any of the limits of crystal charge that I had previously known about.

As I had mentioned earlier, the small sample that I had been given held a tremendous amount of power despite its small size. I'm not even sure how it could be used in its current state. At least, with the way the inscriptions are added to most enchantments. Unless a charm could be carved out of the inside of a sealable container, I still failed to see how any amount of energy could be tapped from the Flux safely. The level of expertise and equipment required to produce the amount of Flux that Stein seemed to be carrying was simply astounding.

Every time I tried to work everything out I only seemed to generate even more questions. If he wasn't being employed by anypony in Canterlot, then who was providing the funds for his project? Also, if he was supposed to be this secretive about his other projects, why did he bother to share this piece with me? Hopefully, I wouldn't need to enlist the help of Applejack, the Element of Honesty, to help me get past Stein's attempts at derailing any line of questioning.

~@~

As soon as Stein had returned from whatever it was he had been doing out in town, he went straight for the corner where my notes were still strewn about. It was then that I decided to start up a casual conversation with him, in hopes of gleaning some answers to the increasing number of questions that I had started to run into.

I should note that, upon his return, Stein had 'freshened up' quite a bit. His mane had been trimmed, and the hair on his snout had actually been fashioned in such a way that even Rarity would approve. All of this led to a much more dignifying appearance. Although he still wore his cloak, he had at least managed to clean himself up quite a bit. Stein now looked less like some kind of insane pony and more like a member of one of the Canterlot noble houses.

I started my conversation with him by asking if he was tired after pulling an all-night study session. His response was no less mysterious than any of his actions thus far.

“I believe I've slept enough of my life away for the time being. That, and this 'Pinkie Pie” might actually be the answer to my problem. She is still in the area, is she not?”

Recalling Pinkie's penchant for being the unofficial one-pony welcoming committee for Ponyville, I was kind of surprised that she hadn't already run into him. I simply replied that I was surprised he hadn't already spotted her as she was hard to miss.

“Perhaps you could introduce me, Ms. Sparkle? She may prove key to my…dilemma.”

“Yes, well I think I might need just a teeny bit more information about your project before I simply hand over my friend to you as some sort of test subject.” My tone of voice might have betrayed more of my concerns than I had thought because it took him awhile to reply.

“I would love to share my findings, but things are quite complicated on my end. My theories have not exactly been accepted in the past, and I would prefer to keep them quiet until I can refine them further. You do understand, don't you?” he hesitated.

“Oh, what kind of theories? Does it have anything to do with that 'Flux' substance that you've made?”

“You are quite the scholar, aren't you? As I said, I'm hesitant to reveal any of my research until I have the irrefutable proof that I need to back it up. That is also precisely why I must speak with Ms. Pie. No offense, but your notes are more focused on whether or not her abilities are real, and they contain very little information on the origins, or limits, of her abilities.”

I had to admit that Stein had a fair point. In my haste to prove Pinkie wrong, I had focused a little too much on the abilities themselves and not their effects. Come to think of it, I didn't do any follow-up research after I had accepted Pinkie's gift as fact.

“Tell you what,” I said, “It looks as though you're not quite done going through the data I've collected so far. How about I ask Pinkie if she would be okay with meeting you. If your theories rely on her as much as you seem to think, she should at least have a say on how this study should continue.” Pinkie, of course, wouldn't hesitate a bit at the prospect of meeting another pony for the first time. I, however, was still having my doubts, despite the aura of credibility that Stein seemed to be giving off.

“That sounds like a reasonable deal, Miss Sparkle. I shall respect her decision, and yours, whatever the case may be.”

Again, I was getting sidetracked from my line of questioning, but still had one question that had priority over everything else. “Alright,” I said, “but before I go I still need to ask you one more thing.”

“Alright, go ahead and ask.”

“Well, Mr. Stein, you never said anything about it last night. I was just wondering where exactly is it that you've come from?”

“Oh, of course. I work for a little-known group near Stalliongrad.”

“Hmm, I still not quite sure what to think about you Mr. Stein, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'll let Spike know where I'm headed before I go talk with Pinkie. I have some other things to take care of in town, though, so I might be a while. Talk to Spike if you need anything while I’m gone.”

I had decided to talk to some of my other friends to get their views on the subject before I headed over to Sugarcube Corner. At the very least, I was going to talk to Applejack. She is an excellent judge of character, after all. Before I left though, I made sure Spike sent you the letter which contained most of the new information that I had managed to glean from my guest, including his credentials and the information on the flux.

~@~

Luckily I only had to travel into the town marketplace to talk to AJ , seeing as she was running her family's apple stand that day.

“Hey there Sugarcube! Wat'cha up to Twilight?” Applejack called out heartily.

“Good morning AJ, how are today's sales coming?”

“There as good as any day, I guess. Now are you here ta' talk 'bout apples, or did ya have somethin' else on yer mind?”

Caught red-hooved, as it were.

“Actually, I did have something that I'd like to run by you. If you have the time, that is.”

“Well shoot, Twi, I always got time fer my friends. Now, what did ya want ta talk about?”

“OK then. Last night I had this unicorn stallion show up at the library at a fairly late hour, and he-”

Suddenly I had an orange hoof in my mouth, “Twilight! Is that really sumthin ta be bringin up in the middle a' town?” AJ said, worriedly glancing at both vendors and possible customers that happened to be within earshot.

Unamused, I remove AJ's foreleg so that I can explain. “No, It isn't anything like that Applejack. A pony calling himself Stein came by asking about my research involving Pinkie's 'Pinkie sense.'”

“Oh, well then why didn't ya jus' say so!”

I rolled my eyes. “I just wanted to know what you would do if some strange pony wanted you to introduce him to one of your friends when you don't exactly trust them yet.”

“So I’m guessing that this stranger of a stallion came to ya last night and demanded to see Pinkie?”

“Well maybe not so forcibly, but yes. Now that I think about it, he was being pretty civil about the whole thing.”

“There ya go, Sugarcube! Now I jus' gotta wonder how somepony managed to wander inta Ponyville without running into Pinkie Pie in the first place. Anyway, It's not like Pinkie is some little filly. She can handle herself.”

“It's just that Stein seems so shifty, he hardly answers any of my questions!”

“No offense Twi, but when ya first got here, and Night Mare Moon showed up, ya weren't exactly answering all the questions that were asked of ya. And knowin' ya, you've probably been questionin' the poor stallion since he got here.”

“Eh-he he, I guess I may have been a little inquisitive. Either way, the decision to meet him still lies with Pinkie.”

“Uh, Twi? Are ya even listenin to yourself? Ain't no way is Pinkie gonna pass up meetin' somepony new.”

“That's precisely one of the things that I'm afraid of,” I said as I turned to leave.

“Well good luck, Sugarcube, it sounds like ya might need it!” Applejack finished as I left the square.

~@~

As I approached Sugarcube Corner, I come across a fairly lengthy line of ponies waiting to get inside. This led me to the conclusion that Mr. and Mrs. Cake were having some sort of promotion. Instead of trying to worm my way through the crowd, I went around the back and knocked on the kitchen door.

Pinkie was the one who answered the door, but before I knew it I had been pulled into the bakery's kitchen and was surprised to learn that I was suddenly wearing a chef's hat.

“Twilight, I'm glad you're here! I've been so busy with my latest tasty treat that I haven't even had time to say hello to anypony. Except for you that that is, because you're right here! Anyway, to make a long story short-” Pinkie rapidly inhaled, before rapidly hurling a seemingly endless tirade of sentences towards me. Most of what she said was lost to me, but from what I could make out it something to do her borrowing the Cake's kitchen while they were out. She may also have said that her snack was some sort of explosive device, but by then the one-sided conversation was lost on me.

I let Pinkie, and myself, have a chance to recover from her verbal onslaught. “So then why am I wearing this hat?” I asked.

“Oh! Well, Mr. and Ms. Cake are busy dealing with all of the customers, so I'm stuck in here trying to fill all the orders for my new treat. Also, I'm the only one who knows the recipe. But If you can help me, Twilight, I'm sure we can get all of this baking done in a super hurry!” Pinkie finished.

“Baking? Pinkie, I don't even know what it is that you are trying to make.

“They're called CinnaBombs, silly, weren't you listening?

“And what, exactly, is a Cinnabomb?”

“Well, It all started when I got to thinking how great cupcakes are, and how tasty candy is, then it hit me! Why not have both at the same time!? So I borrowed the Cakes' kitchen, when they were out with the twins, and attempted to create perfection! The CinnaBomb is a delectable piece of cupcake packed into a cinnamon candy shell! But now that everypony else wants to try some, I haven't even been able to hold a 'New Tasty Snack Invention Party,' or anything!”

With that last bit, Pinkie visibly deflated a little, so I decided to go along with her plan. “Alright, if it's to help a friend, I would love to help you Pinkie. But I should probably try to stay away from any actual baking...There's a reason I let Spike do all the cooking.”

“Okie doki, loki! You can mix the ingredients for the candy half, and I'll work on the cupcake half. That's my favorite part!” As she said this, she bounced over to one of the ovens and promptly opened it up. “They're done!” Was all I heard before I was hit with an overwhelming wave of cinnamonny scent.

After recovering from an onslaught of my senses, and after getting specific instructions as to what Pinkie Pie wanted me to do, I started to whip up batches of what I can only assume were near lethal amounts of candied cinnamon coating that would be used to cover the cupcake concoction that Pinkie had created. It was only a couple of hours after that when we finally managed to break even with the morning's orders, and Pinkie managed to get the recipe to Mr. and Ms. Cake so that they could start making more for anypony else.

“Finally,” I said to Pinkie, when we had gotten a break, “I originally came here to ask you something.”

“Ask away Twilight! I'll answer anything, except oatmeal. There is no answer for oatmeal...” Pinkie replied, with a sudden serious look on her face.

“Okay... Anyway, what I wanted to ask about is this: There is this unicorn named Stein that has taken interest in your 'Pinkie Sense.' And he has requested that I introduce you to him-”

“You mean to say there is a pony in Ponyville who I haven't welcomed yet? I need to go get my welcome wagon and hold a 'Belated Welcome to Ponyville Party' before it's too late!”

Before she could rush off I grabbed her with some telekinesis magic. “Wait! Before you run off, Pinkie, there is something you should know. Stein hasn’t exactly been forthcoming on what it is that he needs to study you for. And, although he has been only kind and courteous, I just can't bring myself to trust him fully, at least not when it concerns my friends.”

“Silly Twilight, as long as he's not being a mean-old grumpy pants, I'm sure he's a nice pony. Besides, how can I turn down a pony who has asked so politely to meet me. Just watch Twilight, as soon as I can get this pony to smile for you, you'll see that I'm right.” Pinkie finished, her smile nearly infectious.

“If you insist. Just try to tone down your welcoming party, although Mr. Stein seems nice, I'm fairly certain that he wouldn't appreciate a loud surprise as much as your average pony.”

“Okie dokie, Twilight! Just leave everything to Auntie Pinkie Pie!”

Now that the discussion was out of the way I released my grasp on Pinkie, who then promptly disappeared out of the room with a blur.

~@~

With the task I had set out to do finally completed, I returned to the library to tell Stein that Pinkie would be over later. I also asked Spike for his account of what happened in my absence. That was when I received news of your latest letter, which I have provided a transcript of here, for future reference:

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

We've received the additional information that you have sent. What we have found since your first message has been troubling, to say the least. The records maintained in the Canterlot archives do, in fact, mention a pony named Stein. What is cause for concern is the fact that there is no further documentation describing any scientific endeavors associated with this pony. I regret to inform you, my dear student, that the Stein you know may very well be lying.

While I expect you to use only your best judgment on this matter, my sister, Princess Luna has expressed interest in helping you directly. When she learned of Stein's possible deception, she has discussed with me what she may do to assist. She should be arriving in Ponyville shortly. I should also note that she has requested no formal reception, as it may interfere with how you are able to deal with this situation.

I only ask that you remain safe and keep your friends out of trouble to the best of your abilities. A pony should have no reason to lie to anypony normally, but I can only show concern for any situation that would cause one of my precious subjects to do so. When my sister arrives she will expect to be debriefed, should circumstances permit. Finally, in this as in all things, please be careful Twilight Sparkle.

Yours Truly,

Princess Celestia

P.S. Don't forget to remain calm, Twilight. The other Elements will surely be of assistance, should you require it.

As I read through the letter one more time, my eyes locked onto the sentence that informed me of Princess Luna's arrival. Spike approached in my shock and informed me that I needed to calm down. He also let me know that he had taken care of the place and that everything was going to be fine.

“What!?” was all I could manage.

“Well, that message came hours ago, and I wasn't really doing anything so I read the letter. After I saw that Luna was already on her way, I decided to clean up the place. So now everything here is squared away for when the princess arrives. No need to worry!”

“Ah, T-thanks Spike, I don't know what I'd do without you. I guess that the letter also says that Luna doesn't want the welcoming committee informed of her visit, so I guess there's not much else to do anyway.” It was just then, that I realized that we probably shouldn't be talking about this in front of Stein, or whoever it was that Stein claimed to be. “Um Spike, where's Stein?”

“Oh, he told me he had finished going through your notes and was going to go out for a bit. He also said that he'd be back soon and eagerly awaiting Pinkie's answer. Except, he used Pinkie's really long name instead of her normal one. Also, he left shortly after the Princess' letter arrived,” Spike dutifully answered.

“Excellent work, my number one assistant. Too bad for us, it seems as though Pinkie actually does want to meet our mysterious guest.”

After doing a quick assessment of Spike's cleaning job, I heard a knock at the door. Spike was still trying to gather up the last of the notes that had been left out for Stein, so I answered the door myself.

I was greeted by a unicorn mare with a midnight blue coat, and a light blue mane. Besides the fact that I was unable to see her cutie mark, I almost didn't recognize your sister, Princess Luna, through her magical disguise. She looked more akin to her appearance when we had just released her from the influence of Night Mare Moon than how she looked normally. The glasses she wore were a nice touch, though.

“Twilight Sparkle, it is a pleasure to see you this day!” Luna said in a normal outdoor voice for once.

“So good to see you Princ-”

“Ms. Sparkle! It would probably be best if you refer to us as Dusk, at least while I look like this,” Luna – now Dusk said, gesturing to her disguise, “I am trying my best to 'fit in' with everypony,” she added with a whisper.

“Of course, Dusk, glad to finally see that your speech lessons are being put to good use.” I replied, noting that she had left off the royal 'we' in her previous sentence.

“I am still in your debt for the suggestions which you have offered, Ms. Sparkle, but you should know that I am here for a more urgent matter, yes?”

“Oh, right. In any case, please come inside. Although if I'm going to simply refer to your majesty as 'Dusk,' you can just call me Twilight.” I said as I stepped aside to let her in.

“So I take it that your guest is not currently here?”

“Nope, Spike says that he left a little while ago. He should be back before Pinkie gets her 'Welcome Wagon' over here though.”

Princess Luna's form looks around the library before speaking up again. “Then we should discuss the matters at hoof with urgency, Twilight. Perhaps going somewhere more secluded?”

“Will the kitchen suffice? I can make some tea.”

“A sound plan. After you, Twilight.”

We entered the kitchen together. Once I had the tea started, Luna and I exchanged what little information that had uncovered since our previous correspondence. I was shocked to learn that Luna's suspicions were far more ghastly than my own. She suspected him of several unsolved crimes that had taken place in Canterlot recently. I, however, had doubts that Stein could be responsible for some of the acts that the Princess of the Night had described, even if I did mistrust him a bit.

Surely, there was some alternate explanation for the thefts that had occurred. And as much as I held my own suspicions for Stein's motives, I highly doubted that he would deface one of the statues in Canterlot Gardens (I was sure to ask if the statue that was destroyed happened to belong to a certain Draconequus, but Luna assured me that the statue in question was no longer kept in an easy-to-access location). I made my doubts known to your sister.

“Lu– um, I mean, Dusk. I'm not quite ready to judge Stein just yet. Besides the deception in telling us what he's up to, he has been nothing but civil. Are you sure some foal isn't just trying for a prankster cutie mark?”

Her expression was grim, she obviously hasn't spent any time near the Cutie Mark Crusaders... “You are right, Twilight, we must not hurry to place blame on somepony until we get proof of their deeds. I am just unsure how to go about trusting a pony that refuses to tell me their name. If he is willing to hide such base information, one must wonder what else they might want to remain hidden.”

Before I can answer Spike enters the kitchen with news of Stein's return.

~@~

“Welcome back Stein, I take it you got what you could from my notes?”

“As much as one could considering their unfocused nature, perhaps. Were you able to converse with Ms. Pinkamena Pie?”

“Yes, and Pinkie has agreed to meet with you, albeit on her own terms. She should be on her way now, actually.”

“Good, good. By the way, who might this be?” Stein asked, as he gestured towards Luna.

“Of course, this is my friend, Du–“

“Dusk, just Dusk is fine, your name was Stein if I'm not mistaken?” The disguised princess interrupted.

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance, I'm sure. You are a friend of Twilight's, yes? Do you have anything to add to my inquiries regarding this 'Pinkie Pie'?”

“I'm afraid I have only known of Ms. Pie for a short time, and even then I haven't really spent a lot of time getting to know her.” Dusk/Luna replied.

“It's quite alright, Miss Dusk. It is Miss right?”

“Oh, um I – “

It was my turn to interrupt. “Oh look at the time, Pinkie should be here any minute. A word if you wouldn't mind, Dusk?”

As we secluded ourselves to another corner of the library, I alerted Luna to what I had just witnessed. “Dusk! Snap out of it,” I said in a hushed tone, “Stein seems to be able to derail conversations in a way that keeps anypony from getting any information. We need to have a plan if we're going to get any evidence of what Stein's up to.”

“I'm sorry Twilight, I am not sure what came over me. I will attempt to keep my guard up upon my next conversation with him.”

“Alright then, besides that, did we get anything so far?”

“I'm afraid not, from what little has transpired thus far. I will agree that he does not seem the petty criminal type that I had pegged him as earlier. He seems to be quite the charmer.”

“I guess I could have warned you about that, though to be honest, even I didn't give his ability to steer conversations as much thought as I probably should have. Seeing him do it to you as well, certainly highlights it as being problematic for us.”

“It will surely make things difficult, Twilight. Perhaps one of us should simply observe his actions from afar while the other tries their hoof at conversation?”

“That's not a bad plan, but which of us will do the talking? To be honest neither of us has much, um, practice with social situations.”

“Seeing as I have been sealed away for the past millennium, and you have had more time to interact with Stein already, I think that you would be most suited for the task. Although I wouldn't mind if you chose to observe instead.”

“I don't think that will be necessary, I'll do the talking. As you said earlier, you don't know much about Pinkie or her abilities. I might be able to glean more information from him concerning the subject.”

“As you wish, Twilight Sparkle. It looks like your friends are arriving, however...”

I rushed past Spike, who had just opened the door, and pulled the door closed behind me. “Hello, girls,” I said, seeing as Pinkie had invited the rest of our friends, “I take it you're all here to meet Stein too?”

“Well, it is a party, silly!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Didn't I ask you to keep your usual party throwing antics to a minimum?” I asked.

“I know, and that's why I didn't invite the whole town this time.”

Rainbow Dash chimed in, “I really just wanted to meet the pony who managed to avoid Pinkie Pie for two whole days. That's gotta be a record!”

“Doncha worry none, Twilight. I already told the girls that ya might still be feeling a might uneasy about introducin' us all. But we all promise to be on our best behavior and help out if need be.”

“Thanks. Alright then, there's just one more tiny thing to discuss. Stein isn't the only new pony here. The unicorn mare inside is called Dusk, but for reasons I'm sure can be explained by either her or myself, I need you all to act like you already know her.”

“...Uh, pardon?” Applejack questioned.

“I think what she means to say, girls, is that we just play along and treat this Dusk as though she were one of our acquaintances. Any questions we might have can be answered at a later time,” Rarity suggested, “They will be answered later, I presume?”

“Um...yes, yes they will. Now that that's out of the way, I'm sure the others are wondering what it is we're up to, so I think it's about time we all go inside and I finally introduce you all.”

As we entered the library together, Stein and your sister happened to be conversing quietly with one another. I politely interrupted, “Stein, Dusk, if I may? Stein these are my other friends, The orange pony with the cowpony hat is Applejack; The rainbow-maned pegasus is Rainbow Dash; Next is Rarity, the unicorn who operates the boutique down the street; Fluttershy is the yellow pegasus hiding behind them all; And finally, Pinkie Pie, whom is the one you've been asking to meet. Everyone, this is Von Nicht aus Stein, and Dusk, whom you already know.” I said nervously.

“Hiya!” Pinkie started, “Welcome to Ponyville! I would've said hello sooner but I’ve been really super busy over at Sugar Cube Corner. But now I'm not, so here I am!” Pinkie finished her greeting by throwing confetti everywhere.

“Why yes, hello Miss Pie. I o– “ Stein started.

“Where did you get this outfit!?” Rarity interrupted, “It's unlike anything I've ever seen before!” Rarity then proceeded to circle Stein in an attempt to observe his cloak from every angle. “You simply must tell me the name of the designer.”

“There is no designer.”

“Pardon?”

“I said that this didn't come from a designer. I made this.”

“But I thought you were a researcher from Stalliongrad,” I said, “where did you find the time to make your outfit?”

“Umm, well, when I arrived in Canterlot. I decided I needed some clothing to fit in. Since I had no money to spare for such luxuries I obtained some raw materials and proceeded to produce this outfit.” Stein's reply was the first true indication that something wasn't right with him. I don't think he expected anypony to be so enthralled with his cloak.

Rarity expertly tried to pry more information about how he created his ensemble but was held at bay by Stein's own hoof. “Please, Miss Rarity, was it? I would just like to have a discussion with Miss Pie. So if-”

“Hey, I gotta ask you a question,” this disruption brought by Rainbow Dash, “Just how did you manage to not run into Pinkie the whole time you've been here? She's usually the first to run into anypony that comes to Ponyville for the first time. Are you a spy?”

“Rainbow! That's no way to talk to somepony,” Applejack scolded. “I'm awfully sorry, Mister Stein, Dash here can get outta hoof if'n we're not too careful.”

“It's quite alright. I-” The poor stallion seemed destined to not be able to finish a sentence for at least a little while.

While he was being 'greeted' by my friends I decided to talk with your sister again, to find out what she had been discussing with Stein while I was out.

“So, anything new?” I asked.

“Nothing substantial, I can confirm that he is at least not using magic to steer conversations in his favor, but he is adept at using his charismatic nature for his benefit.”

“That could prove useful. What were you talking about anyway?”

“I simply asked him about the weather for starters. That is how one attempts to start a conversation these days, is it not? After that, I attempted to inquire about his occupation as a scientist.”

“You just went outright and asked how his research was going?”

“No, I asked him if he was being compensated well for coming out here for a mere interview regarding his studies. Throughout all of this, I have come to the conclusion that Stein is not the most cunning of liars, Twilight.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, for one he didn't seem bothered with how much warmer the Equestrian climate is when compared to Stalliongrad. I mentioned as much when I pointed out that he must be miserable wearing that cloak of his in this weather. Also, his explanation about the amount he was being paid to conduct his research out here does not fit with what I know about what the normal rates are. Other than the lies, his overall conduct is somehow familiar. Whether this is due to his charismatic personality or not I've yet to determine but know this Twilight Sparkle, we will crack the barriers that Stein has constructed. Only a bit more time will be required.”

I write here that your sister has a level of determination that even I find overwhelming. As she finished her tirade, she looked almost maniacal in her determination. Luckily, everypony else was too occupied with keeping Stein busy to notice.

~@~

Stein's efforts at maintaining a meaningful conversation with his intended subject were consistently being delayed as a result of my friends near constant questioning. As the day wound down, Stein was only able to make an appointment to meet with Pinkie the following day. After everyone had left, save your sister, Stein, and myself, I asked what Stein was going to do for the night.

“If it's alright with you Miss Sparkle, I believe I will be taking my leave for the evening. There are some preparations that I need for my interview tomorrow.”

“Oh, alright then. Take care Mr. Stein.”

“I plan to,” Stein said as he headed for the door, “have yourselves a good night.”

After he had left, your sister and I debriefed each other to see if we had been able to garner any new information during the party. The results were less than spectacular, I'll admit, even when considering the investigative exuberance that Luna had displayed earlier.

“If there is nothing else to discuss at the moment, I must take leave as well, Twilight. Though nothing has surfaced thus far, perhaps some quiet reflection will prove useful.”

“Do you really think that will be any help?”

“To be honest? No. But perhaps I might be able to at least watch over Stein from above for a while. Perhaps a pegasi-eyed view will help discern Stein's actions.”

“You mean spy on him?”

“Precisely, but to do so I must leave soon, else I miss Stein entirely.”

“Well good luck then, I think I'll clean up here and then look into that Flux substance some more.”

“I look forward to your findings, Twilight. I shall return if I discover anything.”

~@~

After I had finished cleaning out the last remnants of celebration from the library, I made my way into my lab. I spent a full two hours attempting to come up with a solution to how I might be able to harness the incredible energies that Flux contained before I finally gave up, no such answer in sight. Unless I could convince Stein to part with more of the material all of my guesswork would remain theoretical. I'm sure Stein had his own theories on how to use it himself, but direct questioning hasn't exactly proved fruitful thus far.

So I left the basement and decided to write a quick summary of events so that they could be forwarded to you at the earliest opportunity. My bed beckoned me towards its sweet embrace soon after.

Author's Note:

See? I told you there'd be treats!