• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 3,560 Views, 82 Comments

Dinner with the Folks - RK_Striker_JK_5



Bonbon and Lyra set up a dinner with their parents. Hijinks ensue.

  • ...
14
 82
 3,560

1

Every Sunday, Berry Punch's bar would close early for her to work on bookkeeping, ordering, inventory checks and general maintenance. This Sunday was no different, but activity inside the saloon was a lot more hectic than usual for Berry Punch this time of night and week.

Most of the tables had been shoved to the side, their chairs placed upside down on top. One table and a pair of chairs were in the middle of the room, lit candlesticks at the center of the table.

Berry Punch popped up from behind the bar, a tray of mugs balanced perfectly on her head. She tilted her head forward and slid them onto the bar, the mugs barely rattling. “I don't do as much catering as the Cakes' and Bonbon, but some conventions like using my place.” There was a mild thud from out back in the kitchen. “You two all right in there?” she shouted, turning her head around.

Carrot Top's head pushed open a set of double doors. The earth pony let out a small sigh. “Pinkie and I are fine. I think.” There was another thud, causing Carrot Top to wince. “Well, maybe...”

Trixie let out an overly melodramatic sigh and held a foreleg to her forehead. “It seems only the Great and Powerful Trixie can deal with the Pink Menace from beyond the kitchen!” She trotted around the bar, opened the door a bit wider with her telekinesis and looked into the kitchen. “Pinkie Pie, this is very important for a very good friend and pony. Do you remember what we talked about earlier?”

There was a pause before the pink party pony responded. “Do you remember what my uncle's name is?” she responded.

Trixie let out a sigh. “He's Uncle Marrow, the town plumber.” She leaned back and looked askance at Berry Punch. “How the hay that works is anypony's guess,” she muttered, shrugging.

Pinkie's voice called out. “I'm sorry, Carrot Top. I'll listen better to you.” There was the sounds of pots, pans and other implements of cooking. “Trixie, we're still on for lunch with Ditzy tomorrow, right? I got some super-duper fun stories to share!”

Trixie bowed and flourished. “But of course! The Great and Powerful Trixie never denies an audience!” She backed up, letting the door swing shut. She looked to Carrot Top. “What?”

Carrot Top merely giggled. “Nothing, nothing at all.”

Trixie paused. “Thanks,” she said. “You didn't have to help with this, you know. I know how busy you've been lately.”

Carrot Top shrugged. “It's for Lyra and Bonbon. I didn't mind one bit.” She backed up, letting the door swing shut again.

Trixie nodded, backing up and swinging around. She looked up at a clock mounted on the wall. “Urgh, where is Lyra?” she groused. “She and Bonbon were supposed to be here five minutes from now!”

Berry Punch blinked. “You're kidding, right?”

Trixie shrugged. “It sounded good to me.” She walked over to the bar and poured herself a glass of bourbon, downing it rather quickly. She shuddered slightly. “Ooh, that hit the spot.” The eventual opening of the front door drew her attention to the sight of Lyra and Bonbon walking in. “Ah!” she cried out, throwing her forelegs into the air. “Welcome to the Punch Bowl!” She trotted over to the lone table and gestured to it. “If madam and madam would sit, please?” she said, the chairs glowing and sliding out.

Bonbon rolled her eyes, but there was a sincere smile on her lips. She turned to Lyra and gave her a quick kiss. “Is this all for me?” she asked, staying by her marefriend's side as they walked to the table.

Lyra shrugged. “I just... wanted to do something nice for you, you know?” She turned away, her cheeks reddening. She pawed slightly at the floor.

Bonbon reached out and turned Lyra's head back to hers. She half-closed her eyes and drew in for a longer kiss, but a mild grunt from Trixie killed the mood. She looked to the unicorn, her expression not as pleasant as before. “Yes...”

Trixie waved a foreleg. Her horn sparked and shimmered. “The night is young,” she said. The entire rooftop wavered, disappearing to be replaced by a perfect illusion of the night sky overhead. The kitchen doors telekinetically opened, allowing Carrot Top and Pinkie Pie to walk over, each one with a tray balanced on their heads laden with food and drink. “And the food is warm.”

Bonbon let out a sigh. “Good point.” She slowly broke from Lyra's side and slid onto the chair, Lyra sitting opposite of her. She inhaled the aromas of the food as the two earth ponies slid the trays onto the table. She swallowed as she eyed the food. “Wow,” she uttered. “This looks and smells great.”

Pinkie Pie opened her mouth, but stopped when Carrot Top tapped her on the shoulder. She instead merely bowed her head. “Thank you,” she said, backing off.

Carrot Top nodded to Bonbon. “You're welcome, Bonbon.” She glanced to Lyra. “Hope you two enjoy,” she said before turning and walking back to the kitchen, Pinkie Pie bouncing along behind her.

Trixie walked up to the table. “Okay, in all seriousness, if you two need anything, we'll be out back in the kitchen cleaning up.”

Lyra smirked as she eyed her old friend. “You mean they'll be cleaning up while you and Mister Whiskey get to know each other better, right?”

Trixie tossed her head back. “Somepony has to supervise!” She leaned forward close to Lyra. “Actually, no. Berry Punch threatened me with ratting me out to Cheerilee if I didn't clean up.” She shuddered. “That was enough.” She backed up, bowing. “If anything else is needed, please don't hesitate to ask.”

Bonbon watched her go before looking back to Lyra. She leaned forward, resting her forelegs on the table. “She's a grade-A ham, but she's a nice grade-A ham.” She tilted her head down and ate some braised carrots and took a sip of barley soup. “Oh, this is good...”

The two ate for a few minutes in comfortable silence, the only sounds the munching of food and slight slurping of liquids. Bonbon eventually looked back up to Lyra, her eyes shining. “I love you,” she said, reaching a foreleg across the table.

Lyra returned the gaze and reached out, touching her hoof to Bonbon's. “I love you, too.”


Trixie stepped back from the door, letting out a sigh. “Okay, things are going well.” She trotted over to a three-basin sink and levitated a pan and scrub brush up. “You gotta do this every night?” she asked Berry Punch.

Berry Punch, sitting at a desk with several order forms arrayed in front of it, glanced over. “Well, the kitchen hooves do most of it.” She looked back at the forms, picked up a pen with her mouth and began filling in various columns.

Carrot Top walked over and placed a few dishes into the first basin. “This was really nice of you to hoof the bill, Trixie.” She walked over to the front of the middl sink and began assisting in the washing.

Trixie shrugged, glancing at Carrot Top but not quite making eye contact. “Sometimes... okay, a lot of times, I've gotten a bit on Bonbon's bad side or messed something up with Lyra. I can be a jerk, but I'm a consciously-aware jerk. I just wanted to do something nice for them and help Lyra with doing something nice for Bonbon.” She looked around the kitchen at Berry Punch and Pinkie. “Just don't tell Bonbon I paid for the manticore's share, all right?”

Pinkie drew a hoof across her muzzle, her mouth closing with the motion. Berry Punch simply nodded to her before going back to her ordering.

Carrot Top slowly shook her head as she continued washing. “Well, all right. Just seems a bit... contrary,“ she finished, her voice trailing off as she scrunched down into the washing.

Trixie chuckled. She floated up a large pot and began scrubbing it. “Yeah, yeah. Well, I have a certain reputation to maintain!” She threw her forelegs into the air, her cape fluttering behind her. The unicorn dropped back to all fours, letting out a breath. “Besides, things would get... awkward between Bonbon and I. So for once, no crowing about it or letting it out.”

Carrot Top shrugged. “Well, all right, but even paying me for doing the cooking with Pinkie Pie?” She cast a glare at Trixie. “You know I would've done this for free. You practically shoved the money into my saddlebags.”

Trixie grunted as she finished with the pot and dipped it into the rinse sink. “I know, I know. But even with that prize money you won and the Union, I can afford this little indulgence a bit more. And Lyra chipped some bits in, too. So it's not all on my head.” She glanced to the door and smiled as the light sound of laughter drifted in. “Besides, it feels good to do this for them,” she said, a smile on her lips. Trixie's head shot back to Carrot Top. “So no telling!” she said, jabbing a foreleg for emphasis.

Carrot Top swiped a hoof across her mouth. “My lips are sealed.”


“She did what?!”

Lyra's forelegs shot into the air. “Not so loud!” she said to her marefriend. “I don't want her to hear!” she whispered through clenched teeth.

Bonbon turned around and looked over her shoulder to the doors behind the bar. The cream-colored earth pony let out a breath. “That's a... lot of money she put down for this.” She looked back to Lyra. “It's just so...” She waved a hoof in the air as her face took on a blank expression.

“Unlike her?” Lyra finished, smirking slightly. “She can be a royal pain in the flank, but not all the time.” The smirk dropped away and her expression took on a more serious mien. “She's trying to be a better pony, you know. It's just taking some time.”

Bonbon glanced away for a moment, her cheeks turning red. “I know, and this was really nice of her.” She looked back to Lyra as she took a bite from a salad. “You're visiting your fathers tomorrow, right?” At the mint-green unicorn's nod she cocked her head to the side and looked to the illusory night sky. “Maybe I should at least thank her for arranging this.”

Lyra finished taking a sip of soup. “Just don't let her know that you know about her paying for most of it, all right? She wanted to keep that bit a secret.”

Bonbon shook her head. “That’s not like her,” she said. At Lyra’s look she shrugged. “Well, it’s true!” She waved a hoof from side to side. “Yes, it’s very nice of her and I appreciate it but it’s just... not something I’d expect her to keep quiet about.”

A small smile crossed Lyra’s face. “Which is why she wants it kept quiet. Trixie thinks things would get awkward between you two over the money spent on this. So please, don’t let her know you know?” Lyra reached a hoof across the table.

Bonbon's mouth opened, but hesitated for a bit before nodding and touching her own hoof to Lyra’s. “All right. If that’s how she feels. I’ll keep the secret” I’ll just make it right some other way.

Author's Note:

Notes? okay...

Thank you for reading my next insane endeavor. As noted this is a Lunaverse story. A few things...

1. This will probably be Pinkie's only appearance here. In a review by InsertAuthorHere and on another forum, I got praise for what I did with her in 'Ill Communication'. So I continued it a bit here.
2. Honeydew shows up next chapter.
3. The cover is by Emeral Bookwise. Shower him with praise. SHOWER!