• Published 12th Jan 2012
  • 4,924 Views, 93 Comments

Tales from the Staff Canteen - Midnightshadow



Behind the scenes at Equestria Daily, where all is professional and above board...

  • ...
11
 93
 4,924

Solace - by Siraj

There were hectic days and busy nights. Times when nopony slept, and times when the only sleep anypony got was when they passed out from exhaustion. Tonight was seemingly an exception, Siraj noted as she left her room. It was gorgeous, Luna’s full moon shining through the windows, but almost a little too warm to sleep. Almost. She was drowsy, but for some reason she needed something to occupy mind and hooves.

So here she was, quietly making her way down the stairs, case on her back and pick in her mouth. Midnight was likely up, still working... Maybe he’d like company. What met her eyes in the lounge area wasn’t just Midnight though.
He was curled up on the couch, to be sure, papers spread in neat stacks nearby. That wasn’t unusual. What was, was that Princess Luna had his head in her lap, and Midnight seemed well and truly out. Siraj stood stock still, worried she’d done something wrong, but when the princess’ eyes met hers, she smiled with no malice a-forethought, and her flowing stardust mane curled around to make a ‘shh’ signal. She nodded, and settled in her favorite chair.

~You’re up earlier than usual~ Luna’s voice said in her mind. She nearly jumped in surprise, eyes wide. That she was a telepath was new to her.

~Um... Yeah... Couldn’t really sleep, thought I’d occupy my time. Didn’t think Midnight would be out though~ she thought in return, and Luna looked down at Midnight affectionately, stroking his mane. He sighed sleepily, and cuddled a little closer, a happy smile on his face.

~He just fell asleep an hour or so ago. Judging by the papers here, he’s been working his flank off, just like the rest of you, from what Celly says.~

Siraj nodded, ~I think he’d work himself to death for you, given the chance... Permission to be blunt, Princess?~

~Granted, what is it?~ Luna asked.

~He adores you and Celestia both. We all do. Sure, you may punish us from time to time for our mistakes, but we’re proud to be held accountable. We like having our good reputation, and you keep us all on the straight and narrow. I think I can only speak for myself and probably Midnight and Polecat among us, but we’d likely walk through hell for both of you if you asked it of us. We wouldn’t have it any other way, my Princess~ she said sincerely, then her face flushed with embarrassment, and she looked down at the black case at her side.

There was a tone of surprise in Luna’s mental tone when next she ‘spoke’. ~Siraj... Noble Cause, look at me~ she commanded, and the mare’s head rose to look Luna in her eyes nervously, but there was nothing but kindness in that gaze, ~thank you for telling me that. It’s... hard to know when, or even if you’re appreciated sometimes. It’s nice to hear it, even if you know in your heart it’s true.~

A smile stole onto the mare’s features, almost glowing in the moonlight coming through the windows. ~It’s nothing but the truth, Princess. We’re genuinely happy to serve~ she said, blushing a bit.

Luna nodded at the case, and raised an eyebrow at the pick she still had. ~You play?~ she queried.

~Self-taught. Nothing like what that Octavia pony can do with her contrabass. Just a little guitar, as a hobby~ she admitted.

The words were almost shy, coming from the lunar princess, ~Could you play something, just for the three of us?~

Siraj blinked, then again, then blushed furiously and smiled once more. ~It would be an honor~ she said, a note of pride in her tone. She picked up her guitar, tuned it, ears perked acutely, tweaking a string here and there ever so slightly, until she was certain she was all settled out, and searched her memory for a song. With a smile and a nod at Luna, she started to strum quietly, the notes muted, but singing out nonetheless.

Midnight sighed again in his sleep, and Luna looked down at him, pulling him just a little closer and smiling. Her eyes closed, listening to the melody, as Siraj began to hum a half-octave higher in counterpoint, weaving in and out of the song like a dance. The princess relaxed a little, relishing the chance to let down her defenses, and just be a normal pony, if only for a moment. The music wove a seductive spell, drifting and teasing and swirling about her mind, and it was only a few more moments before she was asleep right along with Midnight, the pair snuggled together as Siraj continued to play, the moon sailing across the sky. The notes drifted up through the quiet night as she finished.

She put her guitar away after de-tuning the strings and placing her pick on top of the case, then grabbed a light blanket, pulling it over the pair. The white mare stole out of the lounge, a ghostly figure in the light far above, as she opened the front door of the offices and slipped out for an early walk with her key in a bag around her neck. As Celestia’s sun tinted the sky ever-so-slightly, peeking over the horizon and beginning its ascent, Luna’s moon began to set in turn.

“Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars...” she sang softly as she trotted through the cobblestone streets, Canterlot awakening around her.