• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 21,833 Views, 2,068 Comments

Myths and Birthrights - Tundara



Twilight has to deal with new powers and troubles as an Alicorn.

  • ...
80
 2,068
 21,833

PreviousChapters Next
Book One: Chapter Eight: The Gala

Myths and Birthrights
By Tundara

Book One: Awakening and Arrivals
Chapter Eight: The Gala


The gentle strings of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra filled the palace gardens, creating a blanket that wrapped around the buzzing conversation. No matter their station within society, the topic was the same; Princess Twilight Abigail Tuilerya, heir of the Taiga, scion of House Sparkle, more than just protégé of Princess Celestia; they were cousins.

Twilight grimaced as she overheard one noble spout to another about how they’d been long friends of House Sparkle, her foals were close friends, even, with the elder Sparkles. Why, her heir was a classmate of Twilight’s!

Doing her best not to interject and inform the Countess of Hackleburry that her daughter had been one of the ring-leaders in the large number of ponies that picked on her, Twilight took a deep breath, smiled, and greeted the next noble in the never-ending line attempting to gain her attention.

At least she had her friends with her, the five creating a buffer of sorts between Twilight and the worst of the nobility. But, as bad as the Canterlot Elite could get, they paled next to the foreign dignitaries. While Equestria’s nobility was a known variable, the foreign ponies were not. Each had their own quirks, both in personality, and in their nations little desires or customs.

“So, Equestria gets another Goddess with which to flaunt its power, does it?” The Hackney ambassador said between low chuckles. Twilight would have assumed he was being either sincere or extremely blunt, if she hadn’t known the stallion for well over seven years. A peace treaty between Hackney and Prance having been a personal quest of Celestia’s during Twilight’s apprenticeship. As it was, she knew the ambassador was attempting to make a joke in his usual dry manner, and failing terribly.

“I don’t think so, Mr. Maison,” Twilight said as she offered a slight nod in return as the ambassador bowed. “As we’ve all just discovered, I’m… Uh… Hmmm…” Twilight tapped her chin as her brow pinched in contemplation. “Well, that my real mother,” Twilight used her hooves to make quotations around ‘real mother’, “is the Queen of the Taiga. I believe that makes me the Crown Princess… or something.”

“Ha-ha! Just so, just so, Twilight Tuilerya!”

Twilight’s face contorted at the name. “Call me Twilight Sparkle, or better yet, just Twilight, or, if you have to, ma’am. But not… that other name.”

Silver Maison looked confused for a few moments, then he gave a slight shrug, saying, “As you wish, Twilight.” Guiding Twilight a few steps from the crowd, as if to gain some privacy, he began to speak in a conspiratorial whisper. “I’ve noticed that you’ve… Well, your cousins I suppose, have been growing closer to Prance as of late. It is rumoured that Ambassador de Lis was at your ascension.”

“Well, not exactly. Fleur was visiting a mutual friend—”

“Of course, of course. I wouldn’t dream of implying otherwise. Not everypony is so well informed, however, and they will only see Fleur’s presence at an event of disc altering importance while no other nation was represented. I’m certain you can see how this could prove to be troublesome towards Celestia’s efforts to broker a peace between Hackney and Prance.” Maison tutted.

“What? But that’s not what happened at all!” Twilight groaned, wings ruffling and her tail give a sharp snap.

“I'm certain that there is nothing to worry about. Though, to be on the safe side, it would take little more than joining my family for dinner, say, at the Prancing Pegasus, to smooth things over.”

Twilight was a little taken aback by the abruptness of the suggestion, stuttering a couple syllables before saying, “Yes, that sounds, um, nice. I’m not—”

“Marvelous!” Maison put on a big grin. “I shall have my assistant contact the palace. Would Chronicle or Quick Quill be managing your affairs?”

“Uh, Quick, I think…”

“Very good, very good indeed.” Maison took Twilight’s hoof again as he bid her farewell.

Twilight discovered, to her chagrin, that Maison was the least interested in currying favours or using her to gain some advantage or leverage. One by one they paraded themselves towards her, making a show of appearing friendly. Twilight couldn’t claim to know any of the other ambassadors personally, and their faux friendship grated on her nerves.

Without the constant support of her friends, Twilight wasn’t sure how she’d have managed the flood of attention. While Applejack and Rainbow acted more like guards, Rarity was a deft hoof at keeping the procession flowing.

Slowly, the numbers began to thin, and Twilight found herself starting to relax, her smile coming a little easier. As the ambassador from the buffalo herds finished all-but-demanding Twilight intervene in the latest wave of pony settlers encroaching on the buffalo’s territory, the final pair of dignitaries emerged from the crowd. Twilight’s mouth formed a tight ‘O’ as she looked over see two zebras approaching.

They wore mirroring robes of bright crimson and gold. Bangles and jewels adorned their necks, ears, and the crop of their tails. The zebra in crimson took the lead, a half-length ahead of the other. She was beautiful, while large eyes like polished emeralds highlighted by dark rings and the flowing, angular line of her muzzle and jaw. A ceremonial saber covered in jewels hung at her side, swaying as she strode through the Gala towards Twilight, every step containing a graceful confidence.

The gold robed zebra was almost invisible next to her companion, her only defining characteristic that Twilight could see as being completely plain and average. If not for the unusualness of seeing a zebra in Canterlot, she’d have been entirely forgettable. The tingle of magic in use didn’t surprise Twilight. Only through a spell could somepony so unusual be made so plain.

As so many before them, the pair bowed to Twilight.

“Twilight of the Night, she who sparkles ever so bright,” the zebra in crimson said, her voice containing the same dancing, lyrical tone Zecora used. “An honour and a great delight.”

“Does every zebra speak in rhymes?” Applejack grunted through the side of her mouth to Rainbow, earning an amused snort from her friend, and a scathing glare from Rarity.

Ignoring the trio, Twilight gave a very slight nod to the zebras. “I was unaware that Zebrica had an embassy in Equestria. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance… uh…”

“Paumuut,” the first zebra said, then indicating with a wave of her hoof at her companion, she introduced her as her bodyguard, Leila. “Forgive her. She is uncomfortable around such a strange gathering.”

“She’s one to talk,” Rainbow hissed to Applejack, receiving a light slap from Rarity’s tail in warning.

“The Golden Flame extends her congratulations on your Awakening, and desires of us to convey her regrets at being unable to travel herself so as to be here for this joyous occasion.”

“Thank you, Paumuut,” Twilight was careful in saying the strange name.

“As way of apology, Her Imperial Majesty extends an invitation to join her in the Golden Palace, as well as three hundred weight of aurum bars. She also desired I give you a message.” Paumuut leaned forward, whispering in Twilight’s ear, “Come to Zerubaba, if you seek the third star.”

Twilight tilted her head as Paumuut bowed and then moved off, wishing Twilight a good eve.

“What was that about?” Rainbow wondered, lifting herself into a hover so she could cross her hooves and glare at the departing zebras.

“Your normal political maneuvering, Dash,” Rarity sighed, relaxing as it became obvious that they had a few minutes peace. “Same as every other ambassador and noble this eve. Now, what I’m curious about is this three hundred weight of aurum. Do you know what she meant by that, Twilight?”

“Huh?” Twilight gave a little start, immediately staring back into space as she said, “Oh, I guess she was saying that they were giving me about seventy-five thousand bits worth of gold.”

There was a moment of profound silence from her friends, one that served to bring Twilight out of her contemplation.

“Uh, care to repeat that, sugarcube?” Applejacks eyes had shrunk to the size of pinheads, as if she were staring at a stampeding dragon.

“Well, that’s just an estimate. I’m assuming that the weight of an aurum bar is constant and consistent with those used in Equestria.” Twilight tapped her chin, then shrugged. “I’m more interested in what she meant by, ‘the third star’. I don’t think I’m missing any other than Sirius.”

Before anypony could comment, whether on her status among the exceedingly wealthy, or the message, a shadow fell across Twilight.

“You’re managing rather well, daughter,” Iridia said, emerging like a ghost from the crowd, a nervous smirk playing at the corner of her mouth.

Rarity gave a little snort, while Applejack and Rainbow both pressed their mouths into stern lines. Near the crepes, Celestia gave a dark glower at the back of her aunt’s head, ready to leap to Twilight’s side.

“Mother made sure I was trained in etiquette. I just never needed it before. Well, not often, anyways.”

Iridia winced at the words, her features taking on a stern cast briefly, her eyes cold as the wind blowing down the northern mountain slopes, before returning to a more neutral state.

“I deserve that, and more, I suppose.” Iridia paused to take a relaxing breath. “I would like to settle some things, Twilight. There is much you have to be told, and should have been told sooner.”

Twilight’s ears drooped a little, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to sound so…”

Waving a hoof, Iridia dismissed the apology. “You have every right to be upset with me. If a few snippy remarks are the worst I receive, I will be blessed.” Putting on a calm smile, one that sent a chill up Twilight’s spine at how similar it was to Celestia’s famed ‘mask’, Iridia glanced towards Twilight’s friends. “How about introducing us, yes?”

“Um, okay…”

One by one, Twilight’s friends stepped forward, each making a polite bow followed by some comment and Iridia returning the gesture. Pinkie was her usual hyperactive self. Rarity demurred and batted her lashes while Rainbow gave a curt, ‘Hello’.

It was all very normal.

Until they came to Fluttershy.

“Are you part dryad?” Iridia asked, looking at Fluttershy this way and that after they were introduced. “A grand dame, or great-grand dame, perhaps?”

“N-No. At least, I don’t think so?” Fluttershy looked between her friends, her large eyes begging for support.

“You just have something about your aura. A connection to the earth that is unusual in a pegasus.” Iridia contemplated Fluttershy for several more moments, driving the pegusus beneath Twilight’s wings. “Perhaps it was kept from you…” An abrupt chilly wave flowed from Iridia, setting Twilight’s teeth on edge. It lasted but an instant, warmth following in its wake. “No, it wasn’t. Curious. You’re an odd moss, if you don’t mind my saying.”

“She’s one to talk,” Applejack muttered under her breath to Twilight.

“Maybe we should speak alone for a bit,” Iridia suggested, giving Applejack and Rainbow a sour frown.

“Uh, okay, I guess.” Twilight gave the others an apologetic smile. “Why don’t you enjoy what remains of the Gala, girls?”

Twilight waited for her friends to begin to disperse, each heading off; Applejack to meet a date, Rarity to mingle and hunt for potential clients for her shop, while Pinkie dragged Fluttershy towards the tables the servers were using. Rainbow was the last to move off, flying backwards while firing the universal gesture of ‘I’m watching you’ towards Iridia.

“Let’s find a quieter spot. I don’t want somepony trying to intrude or something.” Twilight shot Celestia and Luna—both finding a reason to hover nearby—a knowing glower as she turned and led the way, taking Iridia past a pile of presents wrapped in shades of purple, pink, and dark blue sat atop a table. There were so many they spilled onto a finely woven Marabian rug. Spike could be seen reclining on the pile, a glass of fruit punch in one claw and a donut in the other, giving a dark look at anypony who went too close to ‘Twilight’s horde’. Melody and Elegant flanked Spike, the pair making a game of being the dragon’s guards.

Reaching a slightly quieter section of the gardens, Twilight turned to face Iridia. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Well, for starters, I wanted to congratulate you on the fine mare you’ve become,” Iridia took a glass of champagne from a passing waiter, “and to offer to answer your questions. I know you must have many, my little star.”

“A plethora, of course.” Twilight was unsure whether to snort or smile, so she attempted both, without success. “Right, so, how about something very basic about you. Are you the same Iridia that brought about the Long Winter?”

Iridia managed a laugh, though Twilight noticed a flash of pain behind her birth mother’s eyes.

“Technically it was the second Long Winter. But, yes, I was responsible. In much the same way that Luna became the Nightmare, I… fell, I suppose.” Iridia’s expression grew distant, lost in ancient memories, her voice wandering as she spoke. “It was a dark time, for all of us. Celestia had nearly died. Luna was sick, though none of us realised it at the time. Though, that probably wouldn’t have mattered… much. And my sister…”

Iridia ground her teeth, her face taking on a dark and wrathful cast. It passed, Iridia shedding it with a shiver of her wings. “I wrongfully blamed ponykind for all these things, and so much more. I heaped upon them all the scorn and hatred I could muster and, yes, I sought their eradication. I am also so very thankful that I was stopped.”

Putting on a fragile smile, she began to pace. Her ears flicked a few times, and before Twilight could ask a follow-up question, Iridia asked, “Would you like to dance?”

Without waiting for a reply, Iridia trotted towards the dance floor, determination in her step. One by one, the other dancers made room, giving the alicorns space, and watching with unabated curiosity.

“I can’t dance,” Twilight hissed through her teeth, eyes darting towards the onlookers.

Twilight was well aware of the last time she’d been in these same gardens and the performance she’d given. Her lack of grace wasn’t a concern for herself, but Twilight was loath to embarrass any other pony again.

“Tosh,” Iridia flicked a wing, then pointed up to Arrakis and the star’s sisters, the cluster spinning and weaving above Canterlot. “That you can dance is one of the few things I can claim first hoof knowledge about.” To the conductor she said, “Octavia’s Prelude Five.”

He gave a short nod, then turned to the band, striking his baton twice on his podium. In a flourish, the band struck up a happy, rolling tune, cellos supporting the lighter airs of the violins and piano.

“Now, like old Mrs. Brittlefeather taught you…” There was a mischievous glint in Iridia’s tone that made Twilight miss the first few beats and then scramble to catch up.

It took her a few moments before the old routine fell—mostly—into place; step-step-step, pivot, touch wings, and pivot. Some of the moves felt unnatural to Twilight, many having been practiced when she was little and using imagination. Touching wings in particular took great effort. Concentrating hard on the ghosts of her foalhood, Twilight didn’t realize she was mouthing the dance moves.

Stifling a giggle, Iridia said, “I love the way you do that, sticking your tongue out while you dance. It has always been so endearing”

“How could you possibly know that?” Twilight almost missed another step, her jaw tensing as she struggled to keep pace.

“You don’t truly believe this is the first time I’ve visited, my little star?”

“‘Little star’?” Twilight muttered, trying to focus on the dance. “I haven’t been called that in years.”

Iridia gave a slow shake of her head as the song reached the turning point. “I see so much of her in you. You both have my temper.”

Twilight quirked her brow. “I’ve gotten a lot better, thanks to Cadence.”

“Have you? I recall the time Pennant took Mr. Smarty Pants and hid him behind the kennels.” Iridia began to laugh, only for the sound to fade when Twilight failed to join in. “You’ll have to watch that, my little star. That your anger does not get the better of you.”

Twilight pressed her mouth into a stern line.

“Or when—”

“No!” Twilight took a step back, the word knocking those closest down and interrupting the players, their instruments squealing. “Stop it! You haven’t earned the right to act like that. Velvet Mary Sparkle is my mother. Whisper Runes and Glitterdust are my moms. I don’t even know you!”

“But you do,” Iridia advanced towards Twilight, a desperate shine within her eye. “I was your dance instructor. I was—”

Twilight held up a hoof, disgust etched deep into her face and her heart.

“Stop trying to insinuate yourself into my life and acting like you didn’t abandon me.”

“But I didn’t!” Iridia pressed, her wings extending. “Yes, I had to keep my distance after Celestia entered the picture, and I had to be so damned careful before with Cadence randomly popping into Sparkledale to check up on you. Or, did you think she foal-sat every little noble filly?”

“Not every, but its a well known fact that, yes, she does foal-sit for the noble houses!”

Iridia faltered, floundering for a moment as her argument was so completely defeated.

“You think I wanted to leave you? That it was easy for me?”

“Don’t turn this into being about you!” Twilight gave a low snort, an unnoticed bolt of dark lightning echoing among the stars. “I haven’t even heard a word about my father yet. Who is he?”

“Him? He’s hardly important.”

“Hardly…”

“That’s not… He’s just…”

The fur around Twilight’s eyes turned a shade of powdery white as she took a threatening step towards Iridia. Around the pair the crowd of nobles and assorted guests had to take several steps back, pushed away by a wall of heat broiling off Twilight.

“Just what? Tell me something about him. Anything. If this entire exercise isn’t about you, that is.”

Iridia mimicked Twilight’s earlier snort. “He is… Well, he was a warrior-priest. Roughly the equivalent to a paladin, I believe.” Iridia tapped her hoof a few times, a severe pinch to her brow that slowly softened. “He was kind to his friends, and a terror to his enemies. Gentle, considerate, and undauntable. There was such a fiery glow behind everything he did, a certain conviction of spirit that is rarer than a rose in winter.”

“Was?” Dread bubbled in Twilight stomach, her mouth dry around the word.

“Aye.” Iridia looked away, wings twitching and features haunted. “He is no more.”

At once the heat of anger vanished, Twilight snapping her head back as if she’d been struck.

“What? How?”

“Protecting a group of foals from a pack of Frost Wolves.” Iridia pressed her mouth into pinched line. “I cared for him as deeply as I have for any stallion, and I mourn for him still.”

Twilight was quiet as she digested her father’s fate, settling just behind her heart like a cold weight.

“What was his name?”

“His… name?” A moment passed. Iridia stomped a hoof in annoyance, her voice taking a deadly edge. “What matters his name? He was strong and loyal, with a great passion in his heart. An excellent mate.”

“You don’t even know his name!” Twilight bordered on screeching.

Iridia opened her mouth, a retort dancing on her tongue, only to close it as slow fury began to build behind her cold eyes. “Of course I know his name.”

“Then tell me.”

“No.”

“No?” Twilight took a threatening step towards Iridia, her wings spreading. Polaris, Ankaa, Phad, and Antares rose from her mane. Buzzing like angry bees, they circled above Twilight casting a dark red light. “I need to know.”

“He is gone, Twilight, and I will not provide more that you may replace the father you knew with a ghost.” Iridia was like iron, resolute and unyielding, but brittle. Her tone as much begged as commanded Twilight to stop. Falling back a step, Iridia glanced over the crowd, her gaze settling on Celestia and Luna then flickering back to Twilight. Spreading her wings, she said, “I think it best if we take some time to think things over. We will speak again, when we’re both in a better frame of mind,” before leaping into the air and flying towards a distant tower.

Their postures heavy with guilt and surprise, Celestia and Luna both approached Twilight. Celestia gave the four stars a long, considering look, the small points of light flitting over to dance in front of her nose before zipping back to Twilight and circling about her like a halo.

“I’m sorry, Twilight,” Celestia began, heavy voice heavy with unusual regret.

Twilight’s ears perked up, and she gave a weary chuckle.

“Sorry? What do you have to be sorry about? That my mother was a bloodthirsty tyrant from the pre-classical era? That she won’t just tell me my father’s name?” Twilight gave Celestia a cheeky sort of half-grin in an effort to lighten the mood. It could do little to lift the odd weight that she felt between her shoulders.

Frowning at Twilight’s smile, Celestia wrapped a wing around Twilight, pulling the smaller mare into a hug. “No, for not sending her away the moment she stepped into the throne room.”

Applejack sighed as she and her friends dispersed throughout the gala. Her mane prickled thinking about how Iridia had treated Twilight. It was as if Twilight were nothing more than a feather to be put in her hat. The presumptive arrogance of the mare made Applejack grind her teeth.

After a few steps, Applejack let out her frustrations in a long breath. Dwelling on the queen and her attitude wouldn’t help anypony. Certainly not Twilight.

She was broken out of her thoughts by a voice just behind her.

“Hey, what’s a gorgeous mare like you doing wandering this gala alone?” the voice asked, the smug, playful satisfaction making Applejack’s eyes narrow.

Turning, she was confronted by a powder blue pegasus in a dress uniform. He wore a playful grin that made his eyes dance, like at any moment his was about to laugh for no reason.

“I was beginning to wonder where you’d gotten yourself, Soarin” Applejack sighed, her frustration melting away as she leaned forward to give him a brief nuzzle.

“Funny, I was wondering the same thing. I’ve been looking all over for you since the ceremony ended.” A low chuckle made his barrel shake, a wing touching Applejack across her withers as Soarin guided her towards the dessert tables.

“You didn’t think to look in the middle of all them fancy foreign ponies?” Applejack smiled the question, giving him a playful shove. “Besides, it don’t look like you’ve been suffering.”

Affecting a playful look of hurt, Soarin spread his wings slightly. He was striking in his uniform, dark-blue mane tussled, holding a hoof to his chest. Even the lingering crumbs at the corner of his muzzle were rather fetching. More so, the spicy scent of apple pie on his breath.

“I am wounded, truly. To think I’d prefer pie to the company of the most beautiful mare here.”

Attempting to hold down her laughter, and mostly succeeding, Applejack swatted Soarin across his cutie mark with her tail.

“No need to lay it on so thick. I ain’t one of them porcelain dolls,” Applejack shook her head. “I clean up well enough, but compared to Rarity, or the princesses?”

“Hmm, you’re right. Maybe I should see if Cadence is looking for somepony less starched than the former captain.”

Lifting a brow, Applejack set her jaw into firm, yet still playful, line. “What, and here I thought it’d be Twi’ you’d go chasing after. Celestia knows half the other stallions here have been trying.”

Waving a hoof, Soarin gave a sharp snort, saying, “No offense to your friend, I’m sure she’s great, but have you seen her mothers? That stage designer from Manehatten is the least scary of the bunch, and she reminds me a bit too much of Sgt. Tailwind. Besides, your friend’s a little too bookish. I’d rather a sweet, strong, honest mare that spends her time out under the sun working up a froth.” Soarin leaned over to nip Applejack just below her ear, making her blush until her face was red as a gala apple and glance around to see if they were being watched.

“Cut that out, we’re out in public,” she protested, though she did nothing to stop him repeating the nip. When he attempted a third playful bite, Applejack brought a hoof up along his shoulder and withers, stopping at the base of his wings. She began moving her hoof in a slow, circular motion, one that melted the stallion against her side. Smirking as his eyes became half-lidded and his wings extended further, Applejack said in the most sultry voice she could managed, “If you’re going to be like that, maybe we should excuse ourselves. I do have a room here in the palace, you know.”

Ending the motion, she headed towards the palace doors, swishing her tail playfully. After a few moments, Soarin came out of his stupor, snapping his wings shut with an embarrassed cough.

“That’s not fighting fair,” Soarin called after Applejack, a delighted grin on his muzzle. Trotting quickly to catch up, he only slowed to pick up a pie and some whipped cream.

Tyr trotted along at her foster father’s side, a fake smile plastered on her lips. Her coat prickled being around so many ponies, none of which were bowing or prostrating themselves in her presence. She should have been a center of attention, not a curious side-note of the festivities.

A suggestion had been made early on for Tyr to join the younger Sparkles and the few other fillies and colts. She’d firmly rebuffed the idea, stating in a dull tone that she did not play with mortals.

Shining was stopped, many times, and asked about Tyr, the adults acting as if she wasn’t even present. Each time, Shining repeated the same lies. ‘She was adopted, her real parents having died in a terrible tragedy at sea. No, she had no other living relatives. Yes, he and Cadence were very pleased to be taking care of her. Of course she’d receive all the love and attention a filly required, royal duties or no.’

The ponies would give their condolences, then move off, uncomfortable with the subject of death.

Eventually, the curious ponies thinned out, allowing Shining to wave a waiter over. He asked for some plain punch for Tyr, and a glass of whiskey for himself. Once they had their drinks, Shining carrying Tyr’s for her, they found a bench and sat down.

They’d barely sat down when they were approached by a pony Shining recognised. The newcomer wore a red military uniform that marked him as a member of the Royal Marines, a ceremonial sabre at his side and several medals on his chest. Tyr wondered what, if anything, they symbolised.

“Polished, what brings you to Canterlot?” Shining asked, making a smile Tyr knew had to be fake.

“Well, other than my cousin’s ascencion, you mean?” The other pony asked, giving a broad grin.

“Ha, you and Twilight never got along,” Shining remarked, passing Tyr her drink. “I thought you were stationed aboard the Revelation, out of St. Cookie. Hunting pirates, or something.”

“Keeping an eye on our Hackney and Prench cousins, as well,” Polished laughed, the sound easy and free. “We had to return home, empty hooved, again. The pirates have shifted their attention out of Equestrian waters, and when they do come close to our shores, they always fly false flags. Little we can do about it. The mules’ papers check out every single time. I’d almost swear somepony within the Admiralty is giving the pirates blank papers to fill as they please.”

Polished shook his head, then added in an indignant huff, “Besides, we only met once, Twilight and I.”

“Yes, when you stole cousin Tartan’s ice cream and blamed it on Twilight.”

“Did I?” Polished tapped his chin, then shrugged. “I can’t really remember.”

Tyr frowned at all the unfamiliar names. She felt lost, terribly, terribly lost. Still, she remained silent, and watched, and listened.

“You don’t really believe that the Admiralty is supporting pirates?” Shining gave a dismissive snort, his eyes searching the crowd for the tell-tale dark blue uniforms of naval officers. He spotted a few admirals and several post-captains. Tyr followed Shining’s eyes, making note of the odd hats a couple of them wore, like a large, gold trimmed wave perched just behind the horn—all of them invariably also being unicorns.

A shrug and a little dismissive chuckle from Polished brought Tyr’s attention back to the conversation.

“I’m saying too much, but we’re family, if distant. Truth is, it really doesn’t concern me. I’ve been re-assigned to the Bellerophon, for the time being. She’s just finished refitting, and Captain Swell doesn’t have long left on her commission. So it should just be a short, temporary posting. Afterwards, I’m hoping to make promotion to Colonel, and be given a garrison somewhere. I’ll miss the creaking of timber and roll of the ship, not to mention the comparative lack of work. Wont miss being crammed in with several young gentle fillies and colts for months at a time, though.” Polished downed his remaining brandy, asked Shining to give his regards to Twilight, and then excused himself.

“Is the navy an important part of Equestria’s military?” Tyr asked sweet as she could after Polished had left.

Shining hesitated, then shrugged. “I never had much to do with the Naval Department when I was in the guard. The two departments very rarely interact. Now I have even less to do with them. I was always in the Royal Guard, going through the motions of protecting a family of immortal goddesses. My one claim to fame is marrying your mother and a mention assisting her repelling the changelings a couple years ago.”

He gave a short chuckle, looking down on Tyr with a twinkle in his eyes. Tyr’s heart leapt into her throat, the look Shining gave her so similar to the one her real father used to give her.

“I can’t say anything we do is really important. Nopony is fool enough to directly challenge Equestria, more so after the changelings were… defeated.”

“Did you fight them?”

“Yes, I faced their Queen.”

“Did you cut off her head and show the severed thing, tongue hanging from her mouth, to your troops from your balcony?” Tyr bounced with giddy delight beside him, taking a few moments to pantomime the act.

He was silent for several seconds before saying, in a toneless voice, “No, I did not.”

“Why not?” Tyr tilted her head, genuinely curious. “That is what all the heroes do, isn’t it?”

A worried sigh on his breath, Shining knelt down so he was eye to eye with Tyr.

“Because that is not how things are done. You need to avoid saying such things, especially when school starts up. The last thing you want is the other fillies and colts thinking you are odd or weird.”

“I don’t understand. What use do I have for the opinions of mortal foals?”

Shining craned his head to look around the Gala. Spotting what he was looking for, he turned Tyr and pointed to Twilight and Rarity. The pair were laughing at something some minor lord had said, putting on the appropriate airs for their stations. When the lord trotted away, pleased with whatever he’d said, Rarity whispered something into Twilight’s ear that sent both mares into a fit of polite giggles.

“Because, friends can make even the boring and troublesome times fun,” he said as way of explanation.

Tyr considered the princess for a long time. Seeing Twilight gave her a very small measure of hope that she too would regain herself. Twilight was over a hundred years her junior, and yet there she stood, resplendent in her full power.

“I’ll try to be nice, I guess.” Tyr conceded, her ears drooping.

“Nice is only half the equation, Tyr,” Shining continued to explain as they returned to wandering around the gala. “The nicest pony will be shunned if they are considered ‘odd’ or ‘weird’. But that isn’t anything that etiquette lessons can’t fix. We’ll see about that when we return from the manor.”

“Manor?” Tyr’s ears perked back up, waiting for an explanation.

Nodding excitedly, Shining said, “Yes, Sparkle Manor. It’s where Twily and I grew up. We’ll be there for this years Season, along with grandmother’s herd. It will give you some time to acclimatize to Equestria, and get to know your new family. How does that sound?”

“It sounds… good,” Tyr said, adding under her breath, “not like I have a choice.”

“Yes, that,” Shining growled, his eyes narrowing as the crowd cleared enough to reveal Princess Celestia. “Princess Celestia, she…” Shining’s voice trailed off as he gave his head a sharp shake. “You have every right to be angry with us. I’d be surprised if you weren’t, actually.”

Tyr didn’t try to deny that she was angry. She was a whole conflagration of emotions, ranging from terrified to depressed, with rage sitting somewhere near the top of the pile. Yet, and yet, she understood that the binding of her nature was a necessity. If she’d been born on Ioka, she’d have been an ascended goddess for the last century. She just wished that she’d been given the choice, with all the reasons laid out in front of her.

But knowing the necessity and forgiving the pony who’d maimed her were two vastly different things.

“I hate her,” Tyr growled, looking away from Celestia.

Taking a deep breath, Shining pulled Tyr against his side.

“Hate is understandable. But is it productive?”

“Huh?”

Looking up at the stars, Shining explained. “I was used, manipulated, and… other things, by the Changeling Queen. After she was defeated, hate and anger continued to boil inside of me. I lashed out at the ponies that cared for me. For a while I wasn’t a very pleasant pony to be around. I was suspicious, snide, and at times cruel.”

“Something changed though, right?” Tyr watched Shining’s face for any reaction, but his expression was lost and distant.

“Yes. After one heated argument with Cadence I was forced to realise that it wasn’t Chrysalis, or the Changelings, that I was angry with; it was myself. If I had been smarter, or stronger, or one of a thousand other things, I wouldn’t have fallen into her trap. I was angry with something I couldn’t have stopped or prevented. I think it is the same with you.”

Shining looked down as he finished speaking. Tyr felt a spear of guilt and anger dig into her heart as she looked up into that face that so resembled her father’s. But it was showing her something that her father’s had never; compassion. Apollo had been many things, but never compassionate.

Among her kind, compassion was a liability, a weakness. Her father was the God of Protection, patron of heroes and guardians. He was the stern, unmoving wall that held back the darkness. Compassion, forgiveness, leniency; these were anathema of his existence.

Besides, why was she so upset about having another aspect of her life dictated by adults, Tyr asked herself. It wasn’t like she’d ever been given a choice before. In this regard, Celestia was more alike Hermera than in just appearance. The anger was something new, and as she examined it, Tyr understood where it was really directed.

“Why can’t I be an adult. With my domain, my full powers, and in control of my destiny?” Tyr asked, the question directed more at the sky than anypony in specific. “I’m the oldest. Shouldn’t I have found my place in the cosmos by now?”

Shining remained silent for several minutes, for which Tyr was thankful. Her thoughts were too cluttered and confused to properly sort through.

Frustrated tears stung her eye. She brushed them away, as she had done the thousand others that had been shed in the last week. Tyr wanted to stamp on the small droplets, scream at them, rage at her body’s betrayal. They weren’t her. She wasn’t even really Tyr anymore. Just a hollow, frail, frightened shell of herself.

“I want to go home,” she cried, looking around with watery eyes. “I want this all to be a bad dream. I keep hoping I’ll wake up and everything will be the way it was. With mom and dad coming to take me to their temples and show me off to the faithful. But I know that this is all too real. My back itches where my wings should be. My coat prickles at my missing lustre.”

Tyr shivered, rubbing her hooves along her upper-legs. The shiver turned into a sneeze, one that rocked her entire frame and made her muzzle ache. Much like the tears, the sneezes were new. Just another sign of how far she’d fallen.

“The filly that looks like Aoide said you don’t miss what you never knew,” Tyr’s eyes fell on Twilight as she spoke, her voice edging on a sob. “For Twilight that was true. She never had wings or lustre to know what their loss feels like. I’m broken, papa.”

A hoof touched her on her shoulder, making Tyr jump.

“Hey, you’re not broken, you’re just…” Shining paused as he struggled to find comforting words. “You’re just… sleeping. That part of you is sleeping, and before you know it, it’ll awaken and you’ll be even stronger.”

Sniffling, Tyr scrubbed away the last of her tears.

“I hope so.”

Putting on a brave smile, Shining gave Tyr’s withers a squeeze, saying, “And think of it this way, it’s only a few years, right? A decade at the most. And then it’ll be over. What’s a decade to you? You’re Tyr! A hundred years is small change to you. You’ll claim your birthright before you know it, and all this will become a distant memory. I hope that, in time, it’ll be good memories, not sad ones.”

Shining swung his hoof out to encompass the palace, city, and entire disc.

“You’re such odd ponies,” Tyr giggled, her spirits buoyed, if for only a little while. “Such happy, friendly, sheltered ponies.”

“Yes, we are!” Shining agreed with a chuckle. “Now, let’s find your mother,” he added, getting off the bench. Another sneeze from Tyr made him frown, pulling a kerchief out of his suit to dab at her nose. “And maybe get you to bed.”

Tyr followed reluctantly. Her papa was a good, honest pony, but she was still unsure about the others. As she trotted along at his side, Tyr swore silently to locate a way to hasten finding her mark, and with it, her domain. There had to be some method, somewhere. Resolved, the bitterness clinging to her heart dissolved just a little.

Galas, of any size or variety, were Fleur and Fancy’s natural habitat. The pair moved with effortless choreography, chit-chatting and providing small-talk, while nudging their chosen causes towards the hooves that could prove most beneficial. For Fancy, this was a farrier he’d met a few weeks previous in Amblingfalls.

“She was a most accomplished member of her trade. I’ve rarely ever been treated so well,” Fancy was saying to Iron Shod, proprietor of Canterlot’ premier farrier service. “Her touch was light enough I barely felt it at all, and she caught a developing split that my regular provider had somehow managed to miss.”

“Indeed? I shall have to look into snapping her up before somepony from Manehatten gets wind of her. Thank you Fancy, I’m most grateful.” Iron Shod gave a little bow before the powerful couple moved off.

Fleur, a warm smile dancing in her heart and on her lips, pressed her head against Fancy’s neck.

“That is what, three charitable causes you’ve championed tonight?” She lightly teased.

“Indeed,” Fancy gave a smirk, pride radiating from the stallion.

“It’s a wonder the Namegiver didn’t name you ‘Charity’,” Fleur chided, the pair rounding a corner to find Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy entangled in a debate.

“That would have made my time in the guard more interesting, too,” Fancy chuckled, stopping his next words as the pair caught wind of the heated conversation.

“She’s a big ol’ meanie, that’s what she is,” Fluttershy was saying, her bright tourmaline eyes sharp as arrows and aimed at some point beyond the rhododendrons. “I just… I want to… She just makes me want to scream at her, that’s all.”

Patting her friend on the shoulder, her normal smile present though a bit terse, Pinkie said, “It’s okay, ‘Shy. Sure, she’s a bit stuffy and bossy and cold and… um… what’s that word Rarity called that pony that made you a model?”

Stepping up beside Pinkie, Fleur said around a laugh, “You should be careful. You don’t want to get ponies mad at other ponies by spreading gossip, do you?”

Her entire coat and mane standing on end like quills on a porcupine, Pinkie leapt into the air with a sharp gasp. Fleur stepped back as Pinkie, very slowly, fell back to the grass.

“Wowee, I’ve not been startled like that in forever,” Pinkie giggled. “You’re a very sneaky pony, Lissy.”

“‘Lissy’?”

“Your nickname! All my friends get nicknames,” Pinkie bobbed her head rapidly, her cheshire smile growing ever larger.

“Oh, thank you, I think. But, Fleur will do just fine.” Fleur never dropped her polite humour as she spoke, and turned to Fluttershy, who’d been trying to shrink down into Pinkie’s shadow. “Our apologies for listening in,” Fleur indicated Fancy with a nod of her head, “but were you discussing Queen Iridia of the Taiga?”

“Yeppers!” Pinkie’s head bobbed even faster.

“Would you, perhaps, mind telling me your impressions on the Queen?”

“Sure!”

Fleur soon discovered that trying to have a discussion with Lady Pinkamena Diane Pie was like drinking an entire bottle of chardonnay and then attempting compose a five movement symphony; it made perfect sense while inside the giddy haze, but soon after you are left wondering just what you were thinking at the time, and before long all that remained was a pounding headache. Before Fleur and Fancy were even aware of it, a half-hour had gone skipping past, found a friend, and then gone by again.

Somehow, somewhere, they got onto the subject of what made an eclair so delicious. After debating the merits of the cream filling versus the chocolate coating, the conversation deviated towards whether or not fortunetelling gypsies could tell the right time to take a souffle out of an oven. This was followed by a discussion on what was a better oven; wood or magic. Pinkie was of the firm opinion that wood was the only proper stove, but magic ovens were so much better for baking. Fleur confessed at this point that she’d never, actually, cooked anything. Ever.

After Pinkie had recovered from the fainting spell this revelation induced, she made a promise to someday teach Fleur how to bake a cupcake, at the very least. Some ponies held that muffins were the superior baked good, but in Pinkie’s eye, it was the cupcake that was supreme.

By the time Fleur and Fancy managed to untangle themselves from the babbling pink menace, the Gala was half over.

A light smattering of giggles reached the couple as they staggered across the grass.

“You need to be careful with Pinkie Pie,” said Princess Cadence, good-natured amusement shining in her clear eyes. “She’s a sweetheart, and I love her dearly, but she needs to be taken in small doses.”

“Oui,” Fleur managed to gasp, her throat curiously sore from talking, though she couldn’t fully recall what she’d said over the last hour. “I never fully appreciated her energy before, your Serene Highness.”

“Cadence, you can call me Cadence. I think you’ve earned that right, Fleur.”

“I… Thank you,” Fleur gave a weary laugh. “I meant to talk to you, and Princesses Celestia and Luna, actually.”

“Oh? If this is about foal-sitting for Tyr, it’s just not really been practical yet, and we’re going to be out of Canterlot for the next month and a bit spending time with Shining’s parents. Auntie is also a bit concerned letting her out of the palace, at least until Tyr settles a bit.”

Cadence sighed, taking a moment to ruffle her wings in displeasure. An unmistakable bite of resentment and anger in the princess’ tone.

A little beat of joy coursed through Fleur, settling in her hooves and breast. “Non, not about that, but thank you for keeping my offer in mind. What I need to discuss is of a State nature.”

“Really?” Cadence tilted her head, her wings snapping back to her side as she mastered her outward emotions.

Preparing herself for negotiations, Fleur lead Cadence a little to the side, where prying ears would find it more difficult to listen in on their conversation.

“Prance has been suffering a blight from a voracious pest; Parasprites. They’ve eaten all the seeds stored for planting season, as well as what remained of last fall’s harvest. With most of the crop earmarked for the army and navy, there won’t be enough for the common ponies this winter. Unless we can find another source of food, rationing is inevitable.” Fleur’s voice trembled a little at the thought of her countryponies starving. “I understand this is neither the time nor place for discussions of this nature, but, my countryponies take precedence.”

“Yes, of course.” Cadence tilted her head forward a little as she thought. “The Crystal City only grows as much as it needs. We have little surplus for trade, certainly not on the magnitude Prance will require. I can’t speak for Equestria, naturally, but I know Celestia and Luna will be willing to send food, but I’m not sure if the Prench Parliament will accept the price.”

“The letters I’ve received indicate that no price is too steep.” Fleur gave her head a shake, adding, “Not even renewing peace negotiations with Hackney.”

Smiling, and using a wing to guide Fleur through the Gala, Cadence said, “I think that would please Celestia.”

“That could have gone much worse,” Luna commented as they moved through the crowd.

Rarity comforted Twilight following Iridia’s departure, providing the friendly ear the young alicorn needed. From the corner of her eye, Luna watched the pair return to the gala at large, their laughter carrying over the general murmur of noise before being subsumed by the orchestra.

“The night is young. Plenty of time for an eldritch evil to appear.” Celestia smiled with more humour than she felt. “Or for Tartarus’ gate to open.”

“Sister, don’t jest about such things.” Luna gave Celestia a sharp look. “Lest you tempt fate. Last thing we need is one of… them crashing the party.”

Ruffling her wings, Celestia asked, “Why did it have to be her?”

“What’s done is done. We choose not our parents, nor our foals,” Luna snorted as she turned and began to circle the gardens, heading towards the palace doors. “Well, almost all of us, that is,” Luna corrected, turning her gaze to the tower where Iridia had fled.

“Tia, why did you forgive me so fast, and yet harbour such resentment for her?”

Celestia drew her mouth into a pensive line, unable to meet her sisters eyes and instead inspecting the glittering night sky.

“I honestly do not know, Luna. Maybe because I blame her as much as myself for what happened to you and Namyra. Or that she came back, and mother did not. Or a thousand reasons, each adding to the one before it until I can’t think straight when it comes to her.” Celestia sighed, a deep, weary breath that held the regret of ages past. “I used to lay awake at night, wondering, would I have been so different in her place?”

“Yes,” Luna said without the least hesitation. “Mother knows you are not without your faults, Tia, but you would not blame an entire race for the actions of a few.”

An appreciative smile on her lips, Celestia gave Luna a brief nuzzle.

“How about a turn about the private gardens, away from the guests. They contain a certain beauty that is only in moonlight revealed,” Luna returned Celestia’s smile with a mischievous smirk, taking the lead towards the secluded section.

She stopped after only a few yards, her ears perking forward as the wind caught her attention, a peculiar scent in the air. Lifting her muzzle, Luna pulled the breeze over her tongue and through her nose, extending her senses outwards as she did every evening and morn. She was struck by two similar but distinct scents; baked fruit dumplings and cinnamon cookies.

Glancing back to Celestia, Luna saw her sister also testing the air, Celestia’s majestic wings partly spread as her eyes half-lidded.

“Two of them, without a doubt,” Celestia confirmed, wings fully extending as she prepared for flight. Her eyes darted across the star studded night looking for the intruders, but saw nothing out of the norm.

“They are close…” Touching Selene, Luna cast a wide net with her awareness. Lifting a hoof, she pointed to a spot between the Canterhorn’s peak and the palace, saying, “There!”

Once identified, discerning the pair of descending shades from the hanging remnants of cloud was easy. Burnished orange and azure blue, the shades touched down upon the tip of a tower before slithering to a window and slipping inside the palace. Celestia and Luna set off at once, both moving with a graceful, determined stride.

A few ponies attempted to steal the princesses attention, only to be brushed aside by one or the other. Blinking and confused, they stared after them until Celestia and Luna vanished through the palace doors. Inside the palace they separated, each following the scent emanating from one of the shades. Luna quickened her step as she felt a jolt of excitement echo from the one she was tracking.

She found herself led to a door, one identical to a hundred others within the palace. From the other side, Luna could hear laughter and other sounds. Ones that almost made her blush as she realised their cause. As she lifted her hoof all trace of the scent she’d been following vanished.

Rapping her hoof urgently on the door, it never occurred to her to turn away. “Hello, is everything alright in there?”

There was the predictable scuffling, hushed voices speaking to each other, and then the door opened a crack. Luna was struck by a powerful smell, but not the one she’d been following. This was far more mundane and personal, with none of the dancing hints of magic the others had carried.

“Hey princess, what’s up?” Dash asked. Her mane was ruffled, the intricate braid she’d been wearing for the presentation and gala abandoned, and her dress was missing. As if Luna didn’t have enough information to know what she’d interrupted, Dash’s wings were extended at an embarrassing angle and her breathing was heavy, as if she’d been flying.

“Nothing, Lady Dash,” Luna said, putting on her most imperious expression. “I simply...” Luna shook her head as every explanation that jumped forward in her mind were as implausible or terrible as the other. “My apologies, Lady Dash, I was tracking what I believed was an intruder and thought I saw it enter this chamber. I appear to have been mistaken.”

Luna was thankful that her dark coat hid the blush creeping across her cheeks.

“A spy!?” Dash attempted to jump into a hover, only to have her stiff wings fail to beat. “The only other pony here is…” Dash snapped her mouth shut as she realised what she was saying, her lighter coat not proving as effective at hiding a blush as Luna’s. “Um, what I mean is—”

Luna held up a hoof to forestall any excuses, half-baked as they’d have been.

“I understand. I was once a young pony too. You and your friend enjoy the evening.”

“Uh, sure, we will,” Dash looked skeptical, but closed the door nevertheless. Once it snapped shut there were a few moments before a flurry of guffaws and laughter exploded from within the room.

Luna was aware of the humour, but was too preoccupied trying to figure out where the shade she’d been tracking had gone. Using a scrying spell, one attuned to the palace, she hunted for the intruder but turned up nothing.

“I hope you had more luck than me, Luna,” Celestia’s voice cut down the hallway, making Luna turn to observe Celestia approaching from the guest quarters.

“Presumably we’ve both met the same failure,” Luna sighed, moving to join her sister. “They are slippery entities, when they choose. I must have given myself away and it led me into a trap of embarrassment.”

“Oh?” Celestia lifted her brow as they returned to the gardens.

“I was led to a encounter of a romantic nature between a friend and her paramour,” Luna explained around a gentle cough.

“Hmm, interesting. I very nearly stepped into a similar situation.” Celestia replied, then added when Luna gave her a questioning look. “These shades have a sense of humour, I’ll grant them that much.”

Luna gave a low snort. “The one Twilight and I encountered didn’t seem capable of much more than blind need and aggression. I wouldn’t ascribe thought behind its actions, only base instinct.”

“We can’t underestimate them, Luna.” Celestia quickly admonished. “I’m thankful Peewee managed to intercede when he did.”

“Indeed,” Luna managed to say before both princesses put on their ingenuine smiles, returning to the task of being the cordial hostess.

PreviousChapters Next