• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 9,523 Views, 316 Comments

Fear and Trembling - shortskirtsandexplosions



Princess Celestia entreats her apprentice; Twilight Sparkle must make a sacrifice.

  • ...
39
 316
 9,523

four

"Mount Mare?" Applejack bore a confused face. She adjusted her hat and squinted across the table at Sugarcube Corner. "Where in tarnation is that?"

"Just northwest of Trottingham," Twilight said with a placid smile. "It's only a three-hour trip by train." She turned and grinned at the others at the table. "Celestia's asked that we go there for an important meeting."

"The Princess wishes to see us at a mountain in the middle of the country?" Fluttershy remarked, blinking. "Why not in Canterlot?"

"Yes, it does seem rather odd," Rarity added, leaning forward in her seat. "Half of the reason I love paying visits to her Royal Highness is because I get to see more of her gorgeous Palace. Eheheh..."

"We..." Twilight chewed on her lip and fidgeted. "We're not going to see the Princess."

"We're not?" Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. "But I thought you said—"

"It's a meeting just for us," Twilight clarified. "Once we're at Mount Mare, we will... receive further instructions."

"Oooh!" Pinkie beamed, rocking in her seat. "So it's like a scavenger hunt! Oh, how exciting!" She clapped her hooves together, grinning. "An entire mountain for us to search! Whew! You can fit a whole lotta candy in there!"

"The Princess ain't makin' us go halfway across the country to fetch ourselves sugary treats!" Applejack snapped. She turned toward Twilight and murmured, "Ain't that right?"

"I... uhm..." Twilight Sparkle avoided Applejack's gaze as she said, "I-I haven't been given many details. All I know is that Celestia's asked us to go to Mount Mare as soon as possible."

"Couldn't she have been more specific?" Rainbow Dash asked with a frown.

"Rainbow Dash!" Rarity gasped. "This is the Princess we're talking about! You know how cryptic she can be when it suits the moment. Still..." She ran a hoof through her mane and smiled fabulously. "I rather like it this way. It brings an element of excitement into our lives."

"I'll say!" Pinkie's teeth showed in a wide grin. "An entire mountain that I've never been to! Wow, I wish Princess Celestia would send us out on hikes more often!"

"This doesn't sound like no ordinary trot through the woods," Applejack said with a shifty-eyed expression. "The Princess is never sendin' us nowhere unless it's for some really important reason."

"Applejack," Twilight said softly. "If the fate of Equestria was at risk, I'm... I-I'm sure the Princess would have told me." She gulped hard and added, "Whatever she has in mind, it's in our benefit. I'm sure of it."

"Then I don't see why we can't take the opportunity to enjoy such a trip," Rarity remarked, examining her pale hoof. "The bearers of the Elements of Harmony can enjoy a nice, outdoor soiree from time to time, yes?"

"I've always wanted to see that side of the country," Fluttershy said with a rosy-cheeked smile. "I've been told the songbirds of northern Trottingham sound absolutely beautiful, and what I wouldn't give to see their bright plumage too!"

"We can make a picnic out of it!" Pinkie chirped. "It'll be totally fun!"

Twilight turned and looked at Pinkie. She slowly exhaled and said with a calm smile, "Yes. Yes, I think we should plan to enjoy our time together." She sniffled and forced her lips to curve even more. "That would be nice..."

"When does Celestia want us to make this trip, Twilight?" Fluttershy asked.

"As soon as possible," Twilight remarked, staring down at the table top. "I was about to propose we head out tomorrow morning."

"Well..." Applejack scratched her brow beneath her hat. "Reckon there's no harvest loomin' on the immediate horizon, and my brother's easily got the chores covered with me gone for just a single day." She smiled. "Sign me up, Twilight!"

"Me too!" Rarity elegantly hummed.

"Me three!" Pinkie bounced. "I'll bring treats! And a picnic basket! And a blanket! And a basket for the blanket! And... and... mmmm—golly, this is gonna be so terrific!"

"Rainbow?" Fluttershy glanced over, blinking. "Are you coming too?"

"Of course she's coming, silly head!" Pinkie Pie cackled. "The Princess wants us to go on a picnic; we're going on a picnic!"

"But I thought we were the ones who decided on the picnicking part—"

"You can and will eat trail mix for the Princess!" Pinkie eyes narrowed venomously upon Fluttershy. "Or do you wish to be convicted of treason?! Picnic treason?! Mmmm—!" She went wide-eyed as a blue hoof was clamped over her mouth.

Rainbow Dash hovered behind Pinkie Pie, holding her straight and sighing. With a tired grin, she looked over at Twilight. "I was kinda hoping to catch Wavebreaker at the swimming meet tomorrow afternoon, but she's backed out for some reason." She shrugged. "But, y'know, who am I to say 'no' to one of the Princess' requests? Even if it is a boring old mountain." She dropped Pinkie Pie hard to the floor and winked. "Count me in, Twilight!"

Twilight took a deep breath and nodded. "So it's decided. Tomorrow, we're going to Mount Mare."

The other ponies cheered and chuckled merrily. Twilight sat still.