• Published 12th Jan 2012
  • 19,629 Views, 1,843 Comments

Days of Wasp and Spider - Luna-tic Scientist



No humans. In Equestria's past, ponies exist only to serve their creators. One such pony is accidentally released from her mental chains, but how can one mare save herself and her people if she doesn't even know she's a slave?

  • ...
31
 1,843
 19,629

20 - Knife Edge

Days of Wasp and Spider
by Luna-tic Scientist


=== Chapter 20 (remastered): Knife Edge ===


Chaos flitted through the subterranean polities that wormed through the skin of the world. With its failure to get the servitor to react in the desired manner, it had decided to return to its normal methods of little tweaks and manipulations of individual bipeds.

Everything seemed to be in place; the latest efforts at greater economic cooperation between Baur and Saro Hives had stalled again after Chaos had influenced intelligence analysts on both sides towards distrust of each other's motivations. This, combined with the multi gigasecond history of bad blood each Hive harboured for the other, had pushed both chief negotiators into more hard-line attitudes. Chaos suspected that it would be many rotations of the world before it would have to act again.

Despite its relativistic thought processes and near instantaneous methods of movement, Chaos didn't have complete knowledge of the workings of each Hive. Spending too much time in these cluttered environments risked Guardian involvement, so it was highly selective, remaining close to the seat of political power. This time, however, it chanced upon a meeting between a scientist and one of the Baur decision makers it kept tabs on.

In as of itself, this was not unusual. The odd thing was the sudden sense of familiarity it felt while flitting through the scientist's mind. The automata were operating on it in the same manner as they did on the servitors; a constant, low level modification of its brain function. Chaos stopped for a closer look; there seemed to be a small crystal lodged within the braincase, tied to a chunk of solid state circuitry. It reached out to examine the design of the crystal in detail, rifling through the scientist's memories as it did so.

This new development was unsettling. The crystal interfered with the biped in exactly the same way as it had observed for the servitors. It worked to constrain the biped's thought processes, to force it into certain attitudes or suffer the activation of specific brain areas connected with disagreeable physical sensations. A side effect was to render Chaos' manipulations unworkable; just like with the servitors, any attempt to modify the biped's thoughts would probably result in terminal disorder within the organic network supporting the mind.

Was this aimed at it? Chaos was suspicious; had the bipeds developed this tool to prevent its control of them? Did they know about it? Realistically, there was little they could do to endanger it that didn't involve all six Creation Stones -- but if this was combined with their automata suppression techniques, there was a chance they could render it helpless against a wandering Guardian.

Chaos relaxed as it realised the flaw in this line of reasoning -- if they truly wanted to protect themselves from it, their policy makers would have been the first to receive this modification, and this wasn't so. Curiosity roused once more, Chaos unfolded the copied memories within itself, moving away from the Guardian infested world so it would not be interrupted while trying to discover the reason behind this action.

No sooner had it started, then there was turmoil within the high orbital spaces. Something had the automata stirred up, and they were reordering themselves to focus on orders coming from a distant spot on the planetary surface. Abandoning its half completed examination, Chaos moved to investigate the area, and for the first time in its existence it was stunned almost to thoughtlessness. The servitor that it had tried to manipulate still hadn't been driven to take its revenge on those controlling it, but it had done something extraordinary.

It had managed to remove the automata's influence, and teach Chaos' own techniques, to another of its kind.

The opportunity here was tremendous -- a single pony couldn't hope to do everything Chaos wanted from this high risk project; but to have a pair of such creatures under its influence... It watched, fascinated, as the automata swirled around the pony, even executing Chaos' frivolous orders to alter the appearance of its mane and tail, although with a twist that seemed related to the new pony's particular skill set. It even started to taste the same, that haunting similarity with the Creation Stones -- although that realisation caused Chaos a moment of worry. Always with the Stones were the Guardians.

There was something else, something it hadn't noticed with the first one, but became painfully obvious when it watched the pair together. Both were connected at a deep level with the automata influencing the higher order systems within the bubble -- the Flaw and gravitational constant manipulation. These were key mechanisms within the universe, and Chaos wondered for a moment if had created a new set of problems for itself.

Its concerns about the Guardians proved well founded; all too soon Chaos was forced to move away from the ever increasing density of the aggressive automata. Unwilling to risk another close encounter, it retreated, returning only fleetingly to check on its project.

===

Fusion awoke with a gasp. For a moment she lay there, staring up at the ragged hole in the canopy, and wondered what she was doing here. Confused, she rotated her hips to roll onto her belly, hissing as her back complained and a multitude of aches and minor injuries made themselves known. Then everything came flooding back and she moaned in distress, all the physical pain fading to insignificance.

Climbing gingerly to her hooves, she took one look at the broken branches and leapt upwards. The pain made a quick comeback, jagged spikes in her back, neck and belly that stabbed her with every movement. Gritting her teeth, she cleared the tree-tops, casting around for any sign of her sister. There was nothing there, not a hint of blue, even with her shadow sight. The pain became unbearable and Fusion glided in to a landing, collapsing in an undignified heap when one of her forelegs gave way.

"I should have realised she'd react like that," she said to the empty trees. "What am I going to do now?"

The mare stretched each wing and leg carefully, trying to ease the stiffening muscles. It's all over, Fusion thought, glancing up at the darkening sky and wondering how long before it was filled with black airtrucks. She'll report me, she has to. She tried to plan, tried to think of something she could do to recover from this debacle. Her mind was blank, thoughts galloping off in a hundred different directions at once. What will they do? she wondered. The quickest answer would be to order everypony in the corral to restrain her, but it was still relatively early and there were very few ponies here.

They'd have to fly ponies in, she decided, or blanket the area with one of their thaumic suppressors and send in normal troops. She shivered, feeling sick. Would they even wait? Why not just target her directly with some precision weapon? Gravity would certainly pay a heavy price for doing the 'right thing'; subjected to another Blessing or simply shot out of paw when they decided they couldn't take any chances.

"I should have just followed her," Fusion whispered, "why did I try and grab her?" In the desperation and panic that followed Gravity's rejection of her plan, the mare had thought that if she could just get her sister to stop and listen for a few moments... Could I really have stopped her if I wanted to? she thought. She knows almost everything I know. At that close range the fight would have been nasty and probably ended up killing them both, as a spell could easily carry on operating even after its caster was incapacitated.

The mare realised that she'd been lucky, very lucky. If Gravity hadn't been so upset she might have had the presence of mind to focus her telekinesis, rather than use a crude, wide shove that had all the sophistication of a foal. With all of her sister's skill and newfound power behind it, such a strike could have smashed ribs or broken her back.

Fusion looked down at her communicator and knocked it off her fur with a quick flash of magic. She had no idea what the thing was capable of, apart from being a conduit for work orders. This was the main reason she'd used the sharing as a method to show Gravity her memories, rather than just use an illusion. It took magic to use the little bronze disk -- to actually send messages -- but she was certain it couldn't read her thoughts. Otherwise they'd have caught me days ago.

A nasty thought struck Fusion. There was no guarantee that it couldn't act as a camera or microphone, though; even if Gravity somehow decided not to turn her in, if the mare talked to herself...

She wrapped the disk in a cocoon of magic, watching it through her shadow sight. The little gem flickered and flashed as the device examined the thaumic signature of the field holding it, trying to decide if it was from the right pony. It had probably already sent a signal to somewhere, Fusion realised; removing it wasn't actually forbidden, but there was an expectation that you'd put it back on as fast as possible.

Floating her communicator up to eye level, she examined it closely. I have to know, she thought, manifesting a small force field disk through the plane of the device. The gem went dark and there was the acrid smell of a battery shorting out. Fusion lifted off the upper half of the disk and examined the interior.

The force field cut had left a perfectly smooth surface; if it wasn't for the little wisp of smoke spiralling up from the broken superconducting battery, it would have seemed possible to get it working again just by putting the halves back together. Fusion poked around with her magic, carefully pulling out components until she'd completely emptied the casing. Arranged in the air in front of her, she identified them one by one.

"Superconductor, that's the antenna, so that must be the transmitter, once magical gem--" Another chunk of solid state circuitry, this one attached to the bottom of the little gemstone, rotated as she inspected it. "--neural net simulator to actually activate the gem... and that's it." Fusion breathed a sign of relief. No camera, no microphone, and only one gem. As far as the mare knew, the Master's crystal thaumic technology was single function; one gem, one magical ability. That gem was a telepathic transmitter, so could not operate as, for example, a remote clairvoyance anchor.

"Safe," she said, "for now."

Stacking the components back in the shell as best she could, Fusion repeated what she'd done to the Institute's accelerator, although at a much smaller scale. The pulse of power would undoubtedly be detectable, but she'd planned to explain away her communicator's destruction like that anyway. "Will they believe me when I tell them I took it apart to see what was wrong with it?" she muttered to herself, then shrugged. Against the other risks she'd taken today, this one barely registered.

Fusion spot welded the case back together, hooking the disk back on to the fur at the base of her throat. Staring down at the thing for a long second, she lifted her head and limped away from the corral, determined to get as far from the other ponies as possible.

===

Gravity kept climbing, wings pounding the air while her flight magic damped down her mass to a level that would be unreachable by even the best weather team flyer. She shot upwards through the clear air, trying to escape from the madness below her. Mind in turmoil, she ignored everything until the demands of her body penetrated her confused state.

The air up here was thin, thin enough that, no matter how hard her lungs worked, the mare couldn't seem to catch her breath. Exhausted by a combination of stress, exertion and oxygen deprivation, Gravity stilled her headlong flight, coasting to the peak of her trajectory on half folded wings. She'd never before been this high, and the view was startlingly beautiful. Only the most vague outline of the ground below could be seen, a picture of lakes, mountains and forest, blurred by the sheer mass of atmosphere in the way. The sky above was a deep blue, far deeper than at ground level, and the curvature of the horizon was clearly visible.

Celestia hung in the sky, half way down from the zenith, a blazing disk made harsh by the clear air. Gravity turned away from it, staring instead at the half illuminated shape of the largest moon, Luna. In the dark sky it shone a delicate silver, ready to cast its gentle light when the sun finally set. The blue mare kept her eyes on it as she reached the top of her arc and started to fall, the shape seeing to swim as tears welled up in her eyes.

The distorted world was replaced by the stark memory of her sister's face, mouth stretched into an 'O' of surprise as the pulse of kinetic magic struck her, white body tumbling as she crashed through the branches and out of sight. Gravity felt a pang of doubt. How hard did I hit her, did I hurt-- The thought cut off, replaced by a flash of hate at what Fusion had done to her, changing just as rapidly to despair at the empty feeling inside her own head.

What am I going to do? she thought. She knew what she should do, of course, what she should have done the instant she'd realised that Fusion had betrayed the Maker and the Masters. She turned her thoughts inwards, horn glowing slightly as she activated her communicator. The machine bleeped in her head, indicating that it was ready to record her directed thoughts. Her mind flashed up an image of the big surgical robot back at the institute; the open maw of the thaumomagnetic resonance imager surrounded by its specialised, insectile mouthparts. Memories of her nightmare almost overwhelmed her; the horrible dream of ponies being eaten by the machine.

They'd want to study Fusion in detail.

"No!" she screamed, then killed her magic and dropped the connection. Pulling her wings in she fell towards the ground, teeth clenched as she willed the Maker to punish her for this appalling act of betrayal.

There was nothing, only her own guilt, and her anger at Fusion for what she'd forced upon her. The rapidly building wind matched the howling emptiness in her head.

She'd been falling for a seeming age, watching the ground approach -- at first imperceptibly slowly, then faster and faster, expanding like a well-thrown rock just before impact -- and willing her wings to stay at her sides. It would be so easy to do nothing, to wait until it would be too late. A brief flash of pain and it would all be over.

She couldn't do it. Her traitorous body acted to save itself, wings unfurling a little at a time to turn her plummet into a controlled dive, and then into a gentle arc that swung her back into the sky, trading velocity back into height. What she really needed was time to think without interruptions, as well as time to rest her suddenly aching left wing.

A near-by cloud bank provided for both her needs; it was an outlier of a storm system that was being kept as a reservoir, the clouds destined for distribution to the nearby farms when they needed the rain. She could see part of the area weather team a few kilolengths away, busy carving out one puffy grey cloud for transport, but there was nopony nearby. Gravity settled onto a high point and watched the distant pastel specks flitting around the bulk of the cloud mass.

At least they know exactly what to do, she thought. Weather team work was some of the hardest a pony could do; you could be called on at any time and there was the constant risk of lightning, but there was no doubt in their lives. Gravity rested her head on her forelegs and stared blankly at the hypnotic dance of the distant ponies, wondering what she should do.

===

"Hold still," Spiral Fracture said, "nearly got it..."

Fusion tried to remain still, but the stretching sensation around her left eye was becoming unbearable as something that seemed to be slightly larger than her own head was being forced into her empty eye socket. There was a sudden firm push and the thing slid home, making her face feel puffed up and lopsided after the few days she'd spent without an eye. She winced and Spiral released her, letting the lid slide shut over the prosthetic.

"Let's just give it a wash. Blink when you feel the water. Tell me, what happened to your chest?"

Something filled with cool liquid was cupped against her eye; tilting her head, Fusion rolled her eyes and blinked rapidly, relishing in the soothing sensation while she tried to come up with an answer that would satisfy Spiral. It was too much to ask that she wouldn't notice, she thought. "I flew into a tree."

There was a pause, and Fusion could almost see the disapproval in the other mare's expression. "I thought it might be something like that." Spiral's tone became gentle. "You need to adjust to the reality of the situation, Fusion, and pay much more attention to where you are." Another pause, this one accompanied by odd sparkles of green from her good eye, as Spiral using her magic to inspect her work. "Good."

The cup was removed and Spiral passed her an absorbent pad. Fusion dried her eye and, after blinking a few more times, looked back at Spiral with a wan smile. "Thank you. How do I look?" she said.

"You look a lot better," the green mare said, horn glowing as she crafted the startlingly realistic illusion of Fusion's head in the space to her right. "No longer lopsided."

Fusion stared at her doppelganger and twisting from one side to another, watching as the projection did the same. She'd been intellectually prepared, had seen the globe before it was inserted, but to actually have it in her head... The thing was a featureless white, giving her a genuinely creepy appearance. She closed her eyes and looked away. "Turn it off," she whispered, the sight bringing back memories of a little black knife held in a brown furred paw.

Spiral gave a quiet sigh. "I'm sorry, but this really is the best I can do for now. Talk to Needles when he's off shift. He does good work and will be able to match your other eye so well that you won't notice the difference. I'm sure your Masters will give you the time."

"I'm sure they will," Fusion echoed mechanically.

"It's not connected to your muscles, so you'll need to use your magic to move it in step with your other eye, when you get it coloured."

Fusion nodded, but her mind was on other things. She'd spent kiloseconds out in the most distant orchard groves, waiting for some sort of Security response, but there had been nothing. As much as she'd wanted to, there was no way she could stay away forever; even now it probably looked suspicious that she'd taken so long to report her communicator was broken.

Then there was this appointment at the infirmary.

The return visit to let Spiral insert her prosthetic eye was worse than the first; at least that time she hadn't known the truth about Random's condition. The other mare had heard about her visit to the Security Hub, and had asked after her daughter. Telling her the truth was impossible -- having seen the state she'd been in the day before, there was every chance it would drive her into punishment fugue. So Fusion had spun a tale about conditions at the Hub, how the ponies were well, but being kept isolated while they were being thoroughly tested.

Spiral had smiled, actually smiled, at the news. Fusion had felt almost physically sick at the hope in the green mare's eyes, and refrained from commenting when she'd wondered out loud when her daughter would return.

Finally the painful visit was over and she was able to leave. By this time Fusion had already reported her communicator damaged, and had received a rather terse automated order to remain at her shelter until a replacement could be sent. This seemed promising -- she'd half expected to be met by a gryphon assault team -- but there was still no sign of Gravity, and the waiting was getting to Fusion. The mare paced in circles around the facilities hub at the centre of her family's shelter, wanting desperately to do something, but unable to take the risk of direct action until she knew what her sister would do.

Fusion settled down amid the wood chips and stared out across the corral. The fact that she'd not been detained or otherwise attacked after all this time had to be a good sign; if Gravity had told the Masters what she'd done, they wouldn't have wasted any time in coming for her. They'd know she'd managed to remove the Blessing from one pony, would know the process was fast and could be replicated easily. This would be their worst nightmare; a slave revolt that would spread like a virus through the vital populations of servitors.

Chance would be a fine thing, Fusion thought glumly. If the reaction of Grav was anything to go by, anypony that had been Blessed for more than a few years would be extremely resistant to change. I'm going to have to keep anypony I do this to prisoner until I can be sure they have lost the conditioning. This would be an almost impossible task; even with her strength she'd have trouble holding more than a few without risk of harm. And they'd hate me for it.

Not for the first time, Fusion wished this burden had never passed to her. She could see no way out of this trap that didn't end in mass casualties for pony and Master.

She tried to turn her thoughts away from that unproductive line of reasoning, before she managed to convince herself to attack the Security Hub and spirit away Random and the foals. I could save them, but how many others would die, and where would I hide them? Worse, although the foals would trust her, Random would try to escape. She'd have to stay with her until she could be convinced to stay put. Would I though? The Masters have put her through a lot, perhaps she'd be easier to convince than Gravity?

Gritting her teeth, Fusion looked inwards to her memories of the second accelerator run. Those clear, crystalline thoughts that weren't her own sat in her mind like ice in water. She'd not had the chance to really examine the thoughts -- in truth she'd been a little afraid to, afraid that the mere act of remembering would somehow contaminate her -- but now seemed to be a good time. Nothing left to lose, she thought.

The little kernels of thought were as she remembered them from the beam chamber. Tentatively, she investigated them, growing bolder as nothing untoward happened. They were all magical techniques and methods; some she recognised as order-of-magnitude improvements of things she could already do, some she thought she could interpret based on spells she'd seen other ponies cast, but the rest...

She picked one of the more complex spells, puzzling through the mental patterns that made the casting's structure. Some sections were familiar -- this part, for example, was similar to basic telekinesis, although far more complex and apparently fractal in nature -- others she could only guess at. The pattern was intriguing, though, and had the benefit of distracting her from other thoughts.

Over the next few kiloseconds, Fusion worked through the intricate, interlocking shapes, taking them apart until she had some idea of the purpose of the whole magic. What she found left her stunned, but with no alternative explanation for the spell. "Moving without moving," she said to herself, "a way to shift things from here to there without crossing the intervening space."

Such things had always been theorised, but there had never been any viable experiments to test them. Fusion got to her hooves and wandered to the cold store, deep in thought. Picking out a small apple, she levitated it in the air and stared at it, then placed it on the ground and stared at it some more. The spell was unreasonably complex and highly customisable, with several areas that appeared to be designed to be changed for each casting. There was something familiar about two of the areas, almost like...

"It's another memory," Fusion said, a smile spreading across her muzzle, "it's a memory of a place." Two parts of the same room, each at slightly different locations. It made a crazy kind of sense; all the crystalline thoughts appeared to be related to ways for her to escape the particle beam, this was just the most esoteric. The mare was familiar with teleportation on a quantum scale; even though this wasn't a tunnelling phenomenon, the effect was the same.

Which made the integrated memories the start and end points. Fusion looked at the apple with renewed interest.

===

Fusion blinked as a large blob of apple puree fell from the ceiling to land on her the end of her muzzle. Fortunately, it had been a small apple and the mess was mostly confined to a small patch of the ceiling and floor. She'd been standing between the explosive fruit and the facilities hub, so at least wouldn't have to explain that to Slipstream.

The first test had not gone well. The energy requirements were not enormous, but it did require a lot of concentration. Fusion's control had slipped mid-cast and, while the apple had successfully blinked out to appear a length to the right, it had returned as a rapidly expanding cloud of mush. After she'd cleaned pulverised fruit from the floor, ceiling, and her face, the mare picked out another dozen apples and trotted out to the orchard.

She settled down at the same secluded spot she'd used for her disastrous attempt to convince her sister, placing the apples in a line in front of her. The first two went the way of her initial attempt, blasted to pulp by some inconsistency in the exit coordinates. The third just vanished and never came back; Fusion wondered if some Master was now looking at the piece of fruit in puzzlement. She shook her mane to rid it of clinging fragments of her other experiments and smiled savagely. More likely he'd be trying to get it out of his fur, she thought. Four and five reappeared, but were distorted in unpleasant ways. Number six looked perfect.

Fusion sheared the apple in half, her hopes rising, then slumped back as she saw the interior had been reduced to charcoal. Seven, eight and nine looked perfect, inside and out, as well as tasting fine once the mare worked up the courage to take a bite. She looked at it thoughtfully, tempted to try the spell on herself, but worried about subtle damage to the structure of the plant's cells.

Casting about, she located a small beetle crawling up a nearby tree trunk. "Sorry," she muttered, plucking the insect from the tree and placing it on the ground. She cast the spell and the insect disappeared with a tiny flash of white light, reappearing half a length further way. It paused briefly, then carried on walking, apparently none the worse for wear.

Fusion stared at the little insect in delight; this spell opened up a whole raft of possibilities -- as long as she'd been to a place, she could get back to it. Assuming it works for larger creatures, she thought, well, the Maker-thing thought it would. Everything else it had provided had been accurate, so she had every reason to assume it would.

"Look at it this way, filly," she said to herself, "you want to try this when a security airtruck has you in its sights?"

She called up the basic mental pattern for the spell, carefully modified it to match her experiments, and applied the mental trick everypony learnt in foalhood to convert the pattern into reality--

~~~ discontinuity ~~~

--staggering, the mare collapsed, hitting the leaf-litter with a thump. She took a deep breath, coughing suddenly at the eye-watering stench of burnt fur, closing her eyes to try and stop the world from spinning. A few seconds later her dizziness passed and she took shallow breaths, staring in distaste at the blackened patches of hair on her forelegs. From the spots of fading warmth across her back and flanks, it seemed a safe assumption that the pattern was repeated all over her body.

It works, she thought, but I'd be very vulnerable for far too long if I pop out in the wrong place. Still...

Fusion lay there, letting her heart rate subside back to normal, and thought about what the spell hinted at. How the spell actually did what it did still opaque to the mare, but she did have an idea. Existing physics allowed for tunnels through space-time, shortcuts that by-passed the usual three dimensions and would permit near instantaneous travel. Another piece of the puzzle fell into place for Fusion, if she could find somewhere to send them, she be able to get the foals there with little effort.

"That's a good trick, something else you managed to invent just in the last few days?"

Fusion jumped, turning her head to see Gravity standing behind her. Her ears folded back at the hostility in her sister's voice. "How long have you been there?" she asked, suddenly nervous and desperate to know what the other mare would do.

"Long enough. Exactly how did you develop this spell?"

"They--" Fusion broke off, staring at the ground. "I don't know. Something gave them to me, inside my head. I have memories that aren't mine, I could show you...?"

"I don't think I'll be letting you use magic on me any time soon." Gravity's tone shifted from hostility to genuine anger.

"I-I understand, and I'm sorry." Fusion searched her sister's face for any sign of acceptance or guilt, and found nothing identifiable. "What do you intend to do?"

Now there was doubt in the blue mare's eyes. "As much as I wanted to, I didn't report what you did."

"Thank--"

Gravity flicked her wings to interrupt Fusion. "No," she said coldly, "don't thank me. You are my sister, and I think your recent experiences have caused you to lose sight of why we are here. You have an opportunity to do great things for Lacunae Hive... and I'll be watching you to make sure you do. If I think you are acting against the Masters, I'll stop you myself. Do you understand me?" The mare had stepped forward as she spoke, leaning down until she was muzzle to muzzle with her sister.

Fusion cringed back from the cold determination in Gravity's voice. "I understand," she replied in a small voice. If I can't even convince my own sister, what hope is there for anypony else? She looked away, staring at her hooves where they lay on the leaf litter. "I understand, and I'm sorry for putting you in this position." Even if she hasn't reported me, how long before my secret is out?

This was not what she'd hoped for, but at least it gave her some time, time to work on Gravity and maybe remove the Blessing from another pony or two. Somepony that has suffered enough at the paws of the Masters that they will help. With a sinking feeling she knew exactly who she should approach next. It will hurt her so much, but it's the only chance Random has. Fusion's ears, already lowered, flattened further.

Gravity snorted. "And so you should be." For the first time a little bit of warmth crept back into the blue mare's expression. "Now let's go home."