• Published 12th Jan 2012
  • 19,619 Views, 1,843 Comments

Days of Wasp and Spider - Luna-tic Scientist



No humans. In Equestria's past, ponies exist only to serve their creators. One such pony is accidentally released from her mental chains, but how can one mare save herself and her people if she doesn't even know she's a slave?

  • ...
31
 1,843
 19,619

14 - A Little Knowledge...

Days of Wasp and Spider
by Luna-tic Scientist


=== Chapter 14 (remastered): A Little Knowledge... ===


Salrath pulled off her visor and carefully ran her claws through the short fur of her muzzle and head. She slouched in the little chair, long legs jammed in the too-small knee hole the command vehicle provided for operators of the comms and surveillance banks. Things were starting to calm down now; after the first few frantic kiloseconds -- trying to sweep the gutted building for any of the People trapped behind failed doors, sealing off sections against the ever-rising tide of nitrogen, coordinating with the rescue teams putting out the several hundred small fires -- everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing.

As soon as she'd reached the transit centre, she'd discovered that she was the highest ranking Security officer on site, and thus the de facto head of operations -- which, as she freely admitted to herself, was ridiculous. Salrath is a field agent, she thought, if this is what promotion gets you, Security Command can keep it. Despite her lack of experience with this kind of high level administration, she found that everyone was very eager to do her bidding. Who says Security's carefully cultivated reputation is a waste of time? she thought, remembering the looks of fear on some of the People's faces. Perhaps there was something to be said for this, after all...

The downside was the sheer amount of screenwork that was required. Even with the expert systems, after she'd directed the various specialist teams in their tasks -- or more accurately, listened to their plans and told them to 'carry on' -- and allocated the always scarce servitor resources between the teams, she'd spent the rest of the time at this cramped desk writing summaries and reports. That's quite enough of that, she thought, stretching one arm to its full extent and yawning wide enough that her jaw clicked.

She reached out with the other paw and rooted around in the overhead locker, grinning in satisfaction when she located a small, slightly squishy package amid the debris of cables, plastic wrapping and assorted trash that always accumulated during these kinds of operations. Giving the pack a shake to settle its contents, she ripped the top off with her teeth and started to tap commands on the control panel with her free paw, then dropped the interface crown on her head.

‘Work-life balance’ my tail, she thought, remembering the tedious Synod sponsored employment rights training sessions and leaning back against the headrest with a sigh, but at least we get good equipment. The crystals in the crown started to glow with a subtle, ever changing hue, filling the inside of the command vehicle's cabin with a pastel radiance. The slight pressure of the headset faded from her awareness as Salrath closed her eyes, the random flickers of light behind her eyelids condensing into a perfect view of the transit station from a point near the roof.

She was a weightless wisp of presence, able to direct her attention in any direction she chose. The whole area had now been seeded with clairvoyance anchors -- pretty much the first thing that Security had done was send a flock of drones buzzing along all the corridors they could get in to, sticking the small crystals at every intersection -- and she could move her viewpoint anywhere within these bounds.

Eyes still closed, Salrath poked the end of the cured meat snack into her mouth, jaws champing rhythmically at the leathery food, the coating of spices making her tongue tingle. Everything looked okay; the various rescue and emergency teams had mostly pulled out, replaced by specialist groups of engineers assessing the degree of damage and determining what it would take to get the installation up and running again. There was no doubt that the accelerator tunnel would be repaired -- this was only one small segment of the horizon-spanning ring -- but the future of this particular group of laboratories would likely be decided at the next budgetary interval.

What interested Salrath was the number of servitors returning with the rescue teams. She had no interest in their welfare, but she'd been made aware of a large number of irate messages coming in from the owner/ operators of the commandeered animals, and wanted to see what had happened to them. A certain number of fatalities were expected during this kind of operation, but less than thirty of the two hundred-odd ponies had actually returned to the transit hub. The loss of almost ninety percent of the creatures would have a significant impact on the local industries -- something that would reflect very badly on her as site commander.

Her viewpoint flickered along one of the main corridors, past a blue servitor with bleeding wings coming the other way, and darted through the rat's nest of service corridors until she found one of the engineering assessment groups. There were a group of People and a single servitor, the creature's horn glowing a deep orange as it did something arcane to a scorched equipment panel, while the engineers hooked complex equipment to the crystals inside.

Back at the command vehicle, Salrath frowned. There should have been at least three other servitors in this area -- there had been a particularly nasty fire started in a chemical storeroom, which she knew must have been extinguished, otherwise the assessment team wouldn't be here -- along with the People they were assisting, none of whom had yet returned. She cast around, finally locating the hazmat specialists with their servitors, all crowded into a relatively undamaged office a few rooms away.

The group were all slumped in various attitudes of fatigue, covering the floor of the small room with a disordered tangle of legs, wings, bodies and equipment. There was no separation between the People and their servitors; one of the engineers was apparently asleep with her head on the flank of a sooty pony, while the second servitor, itself in a state of near sleep, rested its chin on the shoulder of another of the People.

Salrath's muzzle wrinkled in distaste. The only servitor still fully awake, a bleary eyed mare with a nasty looking burn on the end of her muzzle, was trying to open a container of water, but her horn only flickered dimly and she didn't seem to have the power to open the cap, let alone lift the bottle to drink from it. The Agent's mood lifted at the creature's obvious difficulty, immediately turning back to annoyance as the engineer sprawled next to the pony pulled out his own mess kit and poured the contents of the bottle into it, holding it up so the servitor could drink.

The view disappeared as Salrath yanked the headset from her scalp, the sudden disconnection leaving her dizzy and with crawling patches of colour covering everything she looked at. Undoubtedly that little scene was being played out at many locations; she had the information she needed, but her good mood had vanished. Grumbling slightly, the Agent turned back to the console and called up the next item in the never ending task list of decisions she had to authorise. One in particular caught her eye, 'servitor thaumic medical referrals.'

This was a list of the servitors requiring more treatment than the basic aid stations could supply; they would be shipped out to medical centres for specialist treatment by others of their kind. Obviously the People came first; this disaster, lab accident, or whatever it would be called, had caused mass casualties, most of which had already been distributed between the local hospitals. This being the case, there was now spare capacity to start treating the servitors.

Scanning the task's details, she ran her eye down the list of designations and injuries. In the top quarter of the list was an injury she recognised. "Suspected fragmentation injury, full globe penetration by sharp instrument, possible retinal damage," the Agent muttered to herself, "Salrath knows that name. That is a pony that needs to understand that actions have consequences."

She smiled nastily at the list of names and reached out with one claw. A few quick commands later and she'd shifted Fusion's name to the bottom of the list.

===

When Fusion finally worked up the nerve to activate her own communications disk, she found that her orders were as expected; return to her home corral when given leave to do so by the local veterinarian and have her injuries treated. By this point she'd been waiting in the recovery area for almost forty kiloseconds, long enough to get Gravity's coat back to its normal state, and long enough to get at least some rest. If it wasn't for the comfortingly warm bulk of her sister she probably wouldn't have been able to sleep at all; as it was, she was constantly jolted awake by nightmares of silent ponies, all horribly burned, looking at her with pleading eyes.

After waking for the fourth time, eye wide and breath coming in great gasps, she decided not to try sleeping again. Extending one wing over Gravity's back, the white mare stared at the bustling transit hub through one half lidded eye, looking for all the world like she was half asleep. Inside, however, her mind was racing, trying to discover a way to determine the fate of Random and the rest of the foals from the training centre incident. She’d had some time to talk to Mach Front, the Security pony from the training ground, while Salrath was making sense of the chaos at the improvised emergency centre. He hadn't had any direct contact with them; he'd only escorted them as far as the service entrance before passing them over to another Agent.

That had led to the only real bit of good news; on his flight out he’d seen a group of ponies matching the foal’s description, so they hadn't been moved from the Security facility. The real problem would be what to do next. This particular site was the sector Internal Security hub; from there the Masters monitored the behaviour of almost five percent of the teeming millions that made up Lacunae Hive. Mach Front had been proud of the work he helped with and, like any pony, been very willing to talk about it. He knew only a little about the internal layout, as he was mostly a field operative, but it was clear that the site was highly defendable and only had a few ways in or out.

A crazy plan started to form in Fusion's head. There was no way to sneak in -- the place must hold thousands of Masters and operate around the clock -- but if she could get in, it would be possible to do what she'd done to the Anomalous Physics Institute and trash every bit of electronic or thaumic hardware in the place. After that it would be easy to find the foals -- they would be the only operating magic sources left. Get them, and escape would actually be easier than getting in; most of the security response would be staged out of that site and without computer support this would be chaotic at best.

Surely they’d all have better things to do than watch a group of harmless foals? she thought. ...and I would need privacy to convince them to come with me, to get them somewhere where I can remove the Blessing. Fusion whimpered quietly, her ears flattening, as the scale of the task threatened to overwhelm her. With an effort of will, she clamped down on her emotions before Gravity could do more than flick an ear at the quiet sound.

All the mare's planning came crashing to a halt in the face of the one problem she had no answer to: where could she hide them? No, she thought, focus. First I need to free one other pony. With that, Fusion closed her eye and opened her shadow sight. The dark world was as expected; the makeshift staging area was a glowing island in the midst of a black ocean, the only evidence of life in the deeps a few crawling glows of ponies or Masters carrying crystal thaumic devices.

The mare turned her gaze downwards to the top of her sister's head, staring past the dim violet glow of her horn and into the dark cavern of her skull. When she'd been with the foals, her horror at what the Blessing was had made it hard to think clearly; this time she was prepared and knew what she was looking for. What gave the spell away was the colour -- Gravity's magic had a characteristic blue-violet hue, but here was something that glowed a sick, fluorescent green. A fine network of fibres that spread through Gravity's brain like fungal threads, so faint that they were almost lost against the other mare's magical background.

The more she stared, the more she could see, locating the little tendrils that passed down her sister's spine and branched off to her heart and lungs. Fusion watched Gravity's ribs expand and contract as the mare breathed, finally spotting what she'd been looking for. That thread pulsed in time with the movements of her sister's chest. Fusion cursed silently. I didn't imagine it then, she thought, her fear returning at what this thing was doing. If I tamper with the spell it will stop her from breathing. The mare paused, suddenly struck by a revelation. Wait, that can't be right...

Fusion's jaw dropped and her muzzle split in a wide grin. The thaumic suppressor, she thought, if the Blessing really controlled the heart and lungs, everypony would have died the instant it was turned on. So what in the Maker's name is it for -- and how did it survive the suppressor in the first place? She thought back to when her own Blessing was active; the chest pains and headaches. Then she had it. It's a feedback system! The Masters don't want the Blessing to kill us, this lets the spell regulate the pain, makes it as intense as possible without causing physical harm. Her grin grew savage, fear evaporating at this significant triumph. I can do it, I really can!

She was still examining the spell in her sister's head, when a tired-looking Animal Scanner walked up to the pair of them. After a quick examination of Gravity's freshly healed wing, he asked the blue mare to step away for a few moments, then sat down in front of Fusion with a sigh.

“Hold still, please,” he said, his horn glowing crimson as he closed his eyes. He let out another sigh, then stopped his scanning spell and studied the white mare’s face. “You’ve not suffered too much degeneration, which is something. I had recommended you for earlier treatment, but I guess there must have been other priority cases. Your own medic -- Spiral Fracture, I believe -- will be able to handle your treatment. She’s expecting you first thing tomorrow.”

Fusion nodded dumbly at this. ”Is the delay going to cause any problems?”

Animal’s ears drooped slightly. “Honestly? It might. Don’t get me wrong,” he said hastily, seeing her expression, “it can be fixed, but the treatment time will be longer, with all that entails. Do you understand?”

Fusion slumped slightly, Salrath’s words coming back to her. This servitor needs its horn, not its eyes. She’d be fully healed, if -- and only if -- the resources were available and her Master was prepared to let her have the time to get the work done.

“I’m sorry,” Animal said softly, bowing his head, “I tried.”

“Not your fault,” Fusion said, injecting a note of false cheerfulness into her voice. “Still, you never know, right?”

Animal smiled sadly back at her. “True. Anyway, you should go home and get some rest. Take it easy on the flight back, and keep an eye--“ Here the stallion winced at his own choice of words. “--sorry, on your sister for me, make sure she stops and rests if there are any problems.”

===

The pair of ponies flew slowly out of the local surface exit of the mass transit system with the rest of the departing servitors, keeping close the wall to avoid the continuous stream of worker ponies funnelling in to take part in the clean-up. The difference between the two groups of ponies was marked; the newcomers were all bright colours and energy, those leaving flew slowly and erratically, and were various shades of black and grey. There were also fewer of them, the rest waiting their turn on the bulk transports pulled by teams of less injured ponies.

How many are going to be classed as 'beyond economical repair', Fusion thought, as she curved around a protruding ventilation duct, and never return to their families?

The sun had long set and, once they had left the brightly lit exit point, it took a few hundred seconds for the ponies' eyes to adjust to the darkness; fortunately both Luna and Grund were above the horizon, the pair of moons touching the land and clouds with silver. This was not the normal route Fusion took to and from the Institute; the site was large enough that it had its own entrances, but the damage she'd caused had jammed all the surface doors. Instead, they'd all been directed out along the transit system tunnels -- a slightly hazardous route, as the tunnels were still being used by emergency vehicles -- but at least these were much smaller than the normal transit cars and there was space to fly over the tops of them. It did mean that the flight home would take a bit longer, especially with Gravity favouring her recently healed wing.

The landscape unrolled beneath Fusion's wings, a patchwork quilt of forest interspersed with large scale farms that fed the animals that fed the teeming Masters. Here and there was another patch of light from a funnel shaped access point to the tunnel system that made up the buried part of the Hive, each one connected to the farms and other surface facilities by the silver threads of levitation tracks. Out to the horizon, in all directions, this pattern was repeated; as far as Fusion knew, this was the way it was everywhere within Lacunae territory.

"Grav," Fusion called out, "how's the wing doing?"

Her sister's wing beats had grown further apart over the last few hundred seconds, the mare spending more time gliding than in powered flight. As Fusion watched, Gravity flapped her wings once more; the left was missing the smooth power of the right and seemed to jerk as it flexed for the upstroke. That hadn't been there during the first part of the flight.

"It's fine," the mare said doggedly, head held stiffly and not meeting her sister's gaze.

Fusion rolled her eyes at that. Stubborn as always, she thought. "Well I'm not. I want to take a breather," she said, gesturing towards one of the puffy clouds that dotted the sky. There was no sign of the weather team in this area; these clouds had most likely been not worth collecting and had been left to provide a little shade for the next day. They were small, slow moving things, a pale silver in the moonlight that marked them out as being unlikely to produce useful rain. At Gravity's reluctant nod, she set her wings to a glide and angled for the invitingly soft looking surface.

Cloud walking was not something Fusion often had a chance to try -- most of her work was in the subterranean laboratories of the Institute -- but it was an ability innate to all ponies, an instinctive magic that operated at an almost subconscious level. As the pair approached, the cloud's 'surface' condensed to a soft, but solid layer. At this close range it would have appeared as a diffuse fog to an aircraft or non magical flier; under the influence of the ponies' magic, the million million water droplets became a fluffy layer strong enough to support their weight.

Flaring her wings, Fusion came to a graceful halt on the yielding surface, turning to watch as Gravity made her final approach. That her wing was only partially healed became more apparent in the final stages of landing; at this point it was necessary to flex one's wings vigorously to kill all forward velocity and maintain control over sink rate. The blue mare almost made it.

The solidity of the cloud surface was an illusion; stand on a cloud in perfectly still air and you would still be falling, but with a terminal velocity governed by the vast surface area of the tiny droplets you were linked to. Each drop shared a minute portion of a pony's mass, so small that even the slightest updraft would be enough to them keep floating for as long as the cloud persisted. The magic was a tenuous thing, too much force and you'd break the connections and fall right through.

Gravity gasped loudly, a sudden expression of pain crossing her muzzle, as she flared for the landing. Wings suddenly going stiff, she hit the cloud too hard, sinking to her belly in the fluffy cloudstuff before the magic took hold. She glared at Fusion, working her legs to climb back up to the surface. "Not a word," she said fiercely.

"I wasn't going to say a thing," Fusion replied, trying -- and failing -- to keep the smile off her muzzle. "Still, I'm glad you didn't discover this when we got back to solid ground. As much as I enjoy your company, I don't need you to be with me in the infirmary."

Gravity sighed, carefully stretching her injured wing before refolding it. "I'll go for a galloping landing next time, but if you could...?"

"I'll be there to catch you, don't worry." Fusion yawned; she wasn't physically tired, but she did have the mental fuzziness that came with not getting enough sleep. Walking silently over to the cloud's edge she dropped carefully to her belly in the soft, supporting cloudstuff. A few moments later Gravity joined her, and the pair of mares stared out over the carefully maintained landscape in a companionable silence.

Fusion was the first to break the almost meditative state. "You've travelled more than I have; what's it like out at your launch site? Is it all like this?" she said, gesturing to the patchwork forest. It was hard to tell colour in this dim light, but she knew it was just starting to get into its autumnal amber and gold. Winter's coming, she thought, remembering the cold pre-dawn air from a few days ago, then returned her attention to Gravity as the other mare started to speak.

"I've only been out to a real launch site once; they're all too far for an easy daily flight. They took us over on the transit system; the entire route was underground so I didn't get to see much." The mare was silent for a few seconds, gazing out at the horizon. "Even when we got there the launch site was still five kiloseconds flight time from the local hub. I'll always remember the flight over; the sun was just coming up over the mountains and had left the valleys still in shadow, with just a touch of mist coating the trees." Gravity shook her head and yawned. "Very different from here, it looked completely wild."

"So no farms or industry at all?" Fusion asked, fascinated, hope kindling in her heart.

"It was like we were completely alone in a world without the Masters." The blue mare shivered and edged closer to her sister. "It was horrible; I'd never seen such emptiness. Even with my shadow sight there was nothing." Gravity rolled one eye in Fusion's direction. "Why do you ask?"

"Just interested, I've never known anything other than this and the tunnels. The furthest I've been was that military base, and we didn't see much more than concrete there," Fusion said quietly. Makes sense, she thought, those launch sites are bound to be targets if we have any problems with a neighbouring Hive. You wouldn't put that sort of stuff in a populated area. The white mare inhaled deeply and sighed, the slight lift in her mood crushed. Even wilderness areas are occupied by someone -- the Masters own this entire world, there is no place we can go and be in peace.

"Sis..." Gravity started, twisting to look at Fusion with both eyes. "I know you've been through a lot this last megasecond. Is... is there anything you want to talk about?"

Fusion stared back at her sister, the temptation to tell her everything almost overwhelmingly strong. I could reach out now and break her Blessing, then I really would have somepony to talk to. The little voice was insidious, but she resisted the urge. This was not the place; she'd made enough rash actions, this time she'd do it right and not get caught. I need to stay alone for a little while longer. Fusion bit her lip, iron control finally slipping, her ears folding back and vision blurring as tears started to leak from the corners of her eyes.

Gravity looked alarmed at the sudden change in her sister's expression. "Talk to me, please, I can see it's eating you up inside." She leaned forward to rest her neck against Fusion's, bringing her wings forward to enfold the white mare in a feathered embrace.

"I- I hurt so many of them, Grav. I even hurt you. I know you don't blame me -- but it's still my fault." Tears were rolling down Fusion's muzzle now, soaking into the dark blue fur next to Gravity's mane. She wept, not so much for the things she had done, but for the things she was going to have to do.

Gravity let the white mare cry, making soothing noises and stroking her back with one wing. Eventually, Fusion sniffed mightily and leaned back to break the embrace. Looking shamefaced, she brushed at the side of Gravity's neck where the fur had been turned a darker shade by her tears. "And I just got you all clean," she mumbled.

"I'll dry," her sister said, smiling gently. "Listen, it really isn't your fault. You just did what you had to do. You do know that, don't you?"

Fusion nodded slightly, not wanting to give word to the lie, and wiped at her muzzle with one foreleg. "It still hurts."

"That's because you're a good pony," Gravity said, climbing to her hooves. "Nopony will think less of you for that. Just do your best, that's all you can do. Come on, we should get going."

Fusion stood up next to her sister and fanned her wings in preparation for flight. Is that how they'll remember me? she thought bleakly, 'she did her best?' More likely as somepony to scare foals with. The mare grimaced and stepped off the edge of the cloud.

===

The pair came in for a long, shallow landing on one of the grassed strips normally used for the infrequent pony powered transports that couldn't be brought down to a four-hoofed landing. Fusion shadowed Gravity in, horn glowing faintly with a whisper of telekinetic power that could be strengthened in an instant should the blue mare have a problem. The precaution wasn't necessary; Gravity made a textbook -- if a little hesitant -- landing, coming down at a gallop before dropping to a trot that took her to the shelter used by their family.

A diffuse ball of white light a hoof-span across floated out from under the roof, followed by the cream and red of Plasma Cascade and the turquoise and green of Helium Flash. It was obvious that neither of the sister's parents had been sleeping; their normally pristine coats looked unbrushed, and both had a haunted, hollow-eyed look. The older ponies stopped dead when the light fell on their daughters, unable to believe what they were seeing.

Plasma broke the paralysis first, rushing forwards to wrap her wings around her daughters, followed almost immediately by Helium, who trotted up with a look of confused joy on his face. "Where have you been?" he whispered hoarsely, "when nopony returned from the training centre we feared the worst. Is... is it just you, there's nopony else?"

"We were at the Institute," Fusion said quietly. "My Master was eager for me to get back to work. The others..." Twenty four foals, an entire generation from the corral, force Blessed and flown to the sector headquarters of Maker-damned Internal Security.

What am I going to tell them? Fusion thought, all those parents waiting up like Helium and Plasma for colts and fillies that never came home. Outrage was beginning to replace her fear for the future. They were told nothing, just left to wonder. Fusion took a deep breath, trying to remain calm. A muffled sob and some indistinct words caused her to glance at her sister; tears were making dark tracks through her blue fur. A lie then, for now. "...are being cared for by the Security service. There was a misunderstanding with a squad of gryphon soldiers and some ponies got hurt."

"But the Agent said--"

Fusion spoke loudly, overriding her sister. "I asked my Master and that's what I was told." He told me a lie, she thought, but it was what he said. "I should have told you before, forgot, sorry. The Agent was--" Fusion started, then paused to clamp down on her anger at Salrath. ...a vindictive sadist who wanted to hurt us to cause problems for her opposite number, she thought, before finishing her sentence. "--mistaken," she spat, earning a startled glance from Gravity.

While Fusion spoke, Plasma dropped her wings and stepped back, brightening her floating light and examining both mares with the practiced eye of a mother. Her ears drooped when she saw the fresh scars on Gravity's wings and Fusion's covered eye, then she gasped at the yellow and orange solar disk on the white mare's hips.

"You got your labour tattoo," she said faintly.

Fusion nodded dumbly, not trusting herself to speak as the image of paw holding a slim knife flashed across her mind. The mare coughed slightly, then blinked as her stomach audibly rumbled. "We should talk -- unless you want to get back to sleep?" she said hopefully, then continued as she caught her parent's expressions. "You get comfortable; we'll tell you everything we know." The mare beckoned her sister over to the facilities hub, then started to talk.

While she told her parents as much as she safely could -- leaving out the damning details of her own part in the affair -- she used her magic to help Gravity prepare a big tray of fruits and vegetables from the cold store. They'd quickly finished and Fusion was just about to take the tray over, when her sister pulled out another bowl and floated it towards the port that dispensed the Master's food.

Caught up in the story telling, Fusion had forgotten all about that particular ritual. Unbidden, her mouth filled with saliva at the thought of the stuff, and she had to resist the sudden urge to get her own portion. Ruthlessly suppressing the feeling, she smiled and deftly plucked the bowl out of the haze of violet magic. "I'll get that, you take the tray over. It's your turn to talk, anyway."

"Sure," the blue mare said, picking up the tray and starting on the story of what had happened to her after Fusion's 'accident'.

Under cover of this activity she sought out the feed mechanism for the Master's food, then reached up the chute and snapped the drive shaft on the motor. Placing the bowl under the opening, she pressed the release key and smiled slightly when the machine emitted a nasty grinding noise and little else. "Looks like we've got a broken motor," she said, peering up into the mechanism. "We'll have to get Slipstream to take a look at it tomorrow, first thing." Slip, a golden stallion who used to work on the local weather team, had burnt out most of his magic trying to control an errant thunderstorm. Like their foalhood teacher, Back Draft, he was one of the few ponies who had found enough useful work to resist the urge to make that final trip to the infirmary.

"But--" Gravity started.

"It's not long until dawn; if he can't fix it we'll ask at one of the other shelters." Fusion wasn't sure exactly why she distrusted the Master's food so much, but there had to be something in it that helped to control a pony. If I can just free Gravity from the Blessing I should be able to reason with her. She's been through almost as much as I have in these last few days, the white mare thought. Keeping her off that stuff might even help.

Fusion bit at the insides of her lips in worry. Will I be able to convince her? What will she do? In her heart, the white mare knew that this secret could not be kept forever, knew that at some point all this sneaking and stealth would spill over into very real violence. If I can’t convince my own sister, then I won’t be able to convince anypony, she thought finally. Words won't do it though, I need to show her. She reached for an apple while her sister started to talk about the emergency work she’d helped with.

The same spell that would copy Packet Switcher's memories to the archive could be used to share an experience with another pony. It was one of the things that Random had been gifted at -- when a foal was just starting out with magic, there was no easy way to train them without such a sharing. Fusion could probably remember how to cast it, but it would be useful to get a refresher... The tan and black mare would be just the pony to talk to.

Fusion listened with half an ear to Gravity, focussing her own thoughts inwards. She is the logical choice, I know the Institute's work is secret -- it has to be considering all the security doors and cameras -- and Random is already a prisoner. She couldn't tell anypony, even by accident. Fusion's insides twisted, the juicy apple slice turning to ashes in her mouth as she continued the chain of logic to its obvious conclusion. And I don’t think she’ll be getting out any time soon, if at all. If they let me see her I might be able to get some more information on the inside of the Security centre. Dare I ask?

No time like the present, she thought, crossing her forelegs to cover the little gem on her communicator and focusing a tiny spark of magic at the metal disk. The familiar beep sounded in her head and she composed a short message to her registered Master -- technically Academician Vanca, although Student Korn was acting as her delegate -- then sent it off into the labournet.

Eventually the conversation wound down and Fusion found her head starting to droop, lack of sleep and the stress of the last day hitting her like a fully laden levitation train.

Helium sighed, reaching out with his magic to ruffle Fusion's mane. "Try and get some sleep, we'll talk more in the morning." He nodded to his mate and both older ponies stood up. "We're going to see who's awake and tell them the news." He stared off into the distance for a few seconds, the haunted look returning. "Then we need to talk to Spiral about her daughters."

Fusion shivered, feeling slightly ill. Beside her, Gravity sniffed quietly. Along with her mate, Trocar Point, Spiral Fracture was the corral's medic; she would be the one to treat Fusion's eye. One daughter shot and killed, the other nearly eaten alive, both by the same idiot gryphon. She was not looking forward to her session at the infirmary.