• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 21,577 Views, 1,030 Comments

Address Unknown - remedy



Derpy's suffered scorn for a mold she doesn't fit. Will a chance meeting change her life for the better?

  • ...
53
 1,030
 21,577

8. Exploring New Points of View

Chapter 8 – Exploring New Points of View

To say the train ride to Canterlot had been uneventful would still have been too generous of a description. It had been downright monotonous; in all of her past travels by train, she had at least one friend to talk to, but now she didn’t even have so much as a book to keep her company, and her car was nearly empty. Her only companions had been an elderly mare that took an entire seat to herself, defending it as if it were a priceless treasure that she was unwilling to share, and a stallion that was obviously avoiding any and all contact with anypony. Twilight had taken a seat across the aisle from him originally, and he had quickly moved to the opposite end of the car, sitting with his back to her and watching the window intently.

In an attempt to distract herself, she thought about her last visit to the Canterlot Archives; at least on this occasion she did not need to sneak around in a black coat-tight bodysuit. It had taken Spike weeks to let her forget about that night, and her appearance in Ponyville after returning was met with a combination of bemused looks, confused stares, and the occasional lecherous grin adorning a stallion passing her.

She had resolved to never wear black in public again if she could help it.

Unfortunately, her memories were only a temporary distraction. Twilight gave a soft sigh and resigned herself to the same fate as the stallion now far away from her, staring out the window at the bland scenery as it sped past and poking at the window latch with her hoof until the train screeched to a halt at the Canterlot station.

It was mildly amusing to her that she didn’t even need to pay attention to where she was heading in the slightest; her body just seemed to naturally gravitate toward the library regardless of where her mind was taking her. Before long, the tall spires of the archives crept into view, followed by the glossy marble pillars adorning its frame. The architecture of the archives had always fascinated Twilight; it was reminiscent of ancient techniques and methods from a bygone era, coupled with an expansive interior that integrated both classical features with modern designs. Etched in the stone above the main entrance was an archaic dictum, a testament to the mission of higher education – Periclum ex aliis facito tibi quod ex usu siet – “Draw from others the lesson that may profit yourself." Twilight smiled to herself at the wisdom of the implied message to those who walked through its doors – anypony going there would benefit most not by simple memorization, but by studying and understanding the experiences of ponies from past generations.

She passed through the doors, giving a smile and a courtesy greeting when the guardponies met her with their own cheerful ‘good morning’. As she trotted quietly into the foyer, Twilight was instantaneously assaulted with intense nostalgia from her fillyhood in Canterlot. These very corridors were almost like a second home to her for much of her life; she had spent so much time with her books in the vast array of rooms in the archives, studying for hours on end with no purpose other than to enjoy the delight and adrenaline of pure, unadulterated education.

As she walked the corridors of the archives, heading toward the medical wing, she quickly became overwhelmed with her memories. The feel of the carpeted hallways underhoof, the sights of the walls adorned with murals and portraits of learned scholars from bygone eras, the smell of old books and musty tomes, mixed with fresh paper and newly printed materials, all of them swept through the unicorn and filled her with an excited fervor. Returning to one of her favorite places as a filly instilled her with the burning desire to hoard an entire shelf of tomes to herself and read every page possible until she couldn’t function any more. She knew, however, that her obsession with the study of knowledge here was one she could indulge in some other time, and used that reassurance to continue her concentration on the search at hoof.

The medical wing of the Canterlot Archives was far from extraordinary in decorum, but what it lacked in style, it made up for with its magnitude. The wing was incredibly expansive, containing documents and references for all aspects of medical knowledge, separated into two distinct branches, one for physical treatments for the study of earth ponies and pegasi, and one for training in magical treatment for unicorn practitioners. The expanse was further divided a seemingly infinite amount of times, narrowing to fields such as physiology and pharmacology, dentistry and dermatology, and of particular interest to Twilight for her search, ophthalmology.

She made her way past groups of students engrossed in their work, trying to contain her excitement, difficult as it was. Regardless of her efforts, she still managed to attract attention from several ponies, earning looks of irritation for the disturbance of their studies. She was, of course, focused on finding her quarry and paid them no mind, though it struck her as a familiar feeling. Throughout her upbringing, any interruptions to her own work were met with unrestrained hostility.

As familiar as Twilight was with the archives, the medical section was not one she visited often. It took her several passes among the aisles before she was able to find the magical ophthalmology section, and a brief look over the books yielded no clues as to which would be the best place to start looking. She levitated a large collection of volumes from the shelves and headed off for a desk of her own to research.

Though it pained her to do so, Twilight began with the portion of every reference that she abhorred the most – the index. Indices represented all that could be horrible about books to Twilight; they were a slipshod way to bypass the boundless knowledge contained within in favor of a quick solution, teaching the reader nothing more than rote learning rather than in depth understanding of the material. However, she needed specific information that was scarce, if it even existed at all, and she simply did not have the luxury of perusing the entire ophthalmology section at her leisure. She needed to go straight to the heart of the issue, and the only way to streamline that process was to go against her own self-established principle.

Minutes ticked by, turning to hours, but to Twilight’s dismay all the references were devoid of relevant information. At the most she had found background reading into the development of Derpy’s condition and simple exercises meant to help foals overcome the problem; nothing had been mentioned of advanced treatments for quickly progressing and severe cases. She originally had feared that the spell she was looking for wouldn’t be in such obvious reference materials, and now her fears were being confirmed. If any treatment was to be found, it wouldn’t be in the common references.

Her only hope lay with specific and advanced texts, and there simply were too many of them in the archives. Even skimming all the available material would take months of consistent search, and even then it was likely that she would inadvertently skip what useful information there might be buried in the dense details of medicinal transcripts.

Humbled by her inability to find her answer alone, Twilight slowly approached a small group of students at a nearby desk who seemed to be in deep conversation regarding newly introduced ocular treatments and their purported benefits. She stood uncomfortably for several minutes, waiting for an opportunity to ask if they had any idea about her own personal research project, but none of them acknowledged her existence in the slightest. Taking advantage of a slight pause in the discussion, she leapt at her chance.

“Excuse me, I’m sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering if you might be able to help me find information on a specific topic. Could you spare a moment?”

Silence reigned as six pairs of eyes slowly turned to face her, all of them exuding an intense irritation at the interruption. Twilight simply stood, unsure of whether they would help her or not, when a mare with a pale mint coat addressed her curtly, her voice icy with contempt.

“Well? What is it? We haven’t got all day to sit here waiting for you, you know.”

Twilight gave a start at the sudden sharp demand for a quick response.

“I, uh, was wondering if any of you know where I might find information on treatments for advanced cases of exotropia, or if you might know of some offhoof.”

A cream-coated stallion gave a scoff of derision. “Anypony with any idea about medicine would know how to treat that. It’s virtually introductory level medicine – patients with exotropia can halt and reverse the condition easily with eye exercises done daily for only a few weeks.” He jerked his head toward a large reference guide that stood out easily at the very beginning of the ophthalmology aisle. “You may want to check Standard Diagnostic and Treatment Methods in Modern Ophthalmology, Volume One.” He sneered at her before adding, “If that’s too difficult, you could always try the remedial references for struggling students.”

A chorus of irreverent snickers flowed through the group.

Twilight grew slightly red at the insult to her intelligence, but succeeded in keeping her temper in check. “I’m aware of treatments for juvenile or late onset cases of the condition. I’m looking for any information on treatments for advanced conditions, where traditional exercises have failed.”

The jeering died down as all six ponies deadpanned at her. The mint mare responded with more iciness in her tone than Twilight thought possible, speaking as though she was addressing a foal. “There aren’t advanced cases of exotropia. It’s a benign condition that progresses slowly and is easily treatable, even when not caught quickly. If you insist on looking for irrelevant and useless information for a problem that isn’t even a problem, I’d suggest you find somepony else’s time to waste.”

With that, all six ponies turned back to their discussion as if Twilight had never been there. It was just as well, as Twilight walked away muttering incensed incivilities toward the medical profession as a whole, returning angrily to her stack of books to resume her search alone.

****************

Twilight woke at her desk in the Golden Oaks Library in the early morning light, her forehooves crossed over the surface and her face buried in them from exhaustion and frustration. She had spent two full days in Canterlot, reading endlessly in the archives, and had absolutely nothing to show for it. In a final attempt, she had traveled home with what remained of her accumulated supply of research materials that she had gleaned from the archives, loaned hesitantly to her by the keeper of the medical wing. They had all proven to be utterly worthless.

Though she hated to admit it, there simply didn’t seem to be anything that could help Derpy in the slightest. Granted, she had barely made a dent in the massive amounts of books available, but she didn’t have the time, the energy, or the knowledge to search any more without taking random stabs in the dark at the books that remained. Everypony she had asked had dismissed her with as much tact as the medical students from Canterlot, and it was all she could do in the end to refrain from yelling obscenities at them.

Ultimately, books and scholars had defeated her; her most depended upon peers for her entire foalhood had let her down.

She had one last idea, but she knew that if it was unsuccessful, her search could be considered officially over. She simply couldn’t bear to look any more.

Twilight raised her head, and with a soft glow from her horn she set her last book with the rest, stacked neatly on the floor for return to the archives. She gathered her strength, pushing herself from the desk; her body felt heavy with fatigue, but her short rest the past night allowed her enough vitality to continue on for this final stretch. Confident that Spike would still be sleeping at this time of morning, and likely well into the afternoon, she levitated a quill and parchment over, writing out a quick and concise message for her number one assistant. She placed some extra writing materials in her saddlebag, magically warmed the remnants of her tea from the previous night, and drank it all in a single gulp for what small boost of energy it may give her. She turned and plodded slowly out the door, leaving Spike with her note tacked to the one spot he was sure to find it – on the refrigerator.

Spike –

Gone to Zecora’s for a while. Don’t forget to do your chores.

Twilight

****************

Zecora’s hut was peaceful as always, standing in opposition to the very nature of the Everfree Forest in which it lay, radiating the serenity the zebra often carried with her. Twilight drew her hoof up weakly, still suffering from the fatigue that resulted from her long hours of study, and gave a slight knock before sitting back to wait. She knew from experience that it would take a minute for the zebra to answer; Zecora tended to treat all aspects of life with a methodical sense of calm and tranquility. As expected, the hoofsteps inside were slow in coming and showed no sign of urgency. She gave Zecora a smile as the door set in the great tree opened wide.

“Twilight Sparkle! A pleasure to see, whenever you venture to the Everfree.” For a moment the zebra showed a look of confusion. “Tis never unpleasant to see you, but – what brings you this morning to visit my hut?”

“I was wondering if I could ask for some advice, and I thought it may be within your area of expertise, if you wouldn’t mind listening…”

Zecora nodded, turning and beckoning Twilight inside as she spoke yet again with her curiously elegant rhymes.

“Seeking counsel is always wise to gain a look through others’ eyes, and find an option yet unknown that one could miss if sought alone.”

Twilight followed the striped mare inside, gazing around at the interesting items that filled Zecora’s home. Masks adorned the walls, paying constant homage to the zebra’s homeland, accentuated by candles throwing shadows across their faces. A large cauldron still occupied the center of the room, though it currently sat empty and unused. The masks and cauldron went largely unacknowledged, however; there was something else that always seemed to capture Twilight’s attention almost exclusively.

A vast assortment of alchemical equipment, medicines and various herbs literally filled the main hollow of the tree. Tools of Zecora’s trade rested on shelves – mortars and pestles were arranged neatly, and an alembic was assembled on a large worktable, sitting next to a large balance scale. Phials and flasks hung from the ceiling, filled with a seemingly infinite variety of medical concoctions: potions, tonics, tinctures, elixirs, solutions, suspensions, extracts, infusions, and emulsions. The vials and bottles were accompanied by a myriad of medicinal herbs obtained from all parts of the plants native to the Everfree forest; leaves, roots, flowers, fruits, bark – all separated into sections for their various uses.

The immense amount of knowledge that Zecora possessed fascinated Twilight, and every visit brought with it an envy of the more scientific nature that the zebra’s work entailed. This, of course, was not to say that Twilight’s own studies were not scientific themselves, but magical studies differed greatly from the intense chemistry involved in the compounding of the various natural medicines Zecora produced.

Twilight wandered around the room enraptured by her surroundings, until she finally took a seat at a nearby table, continuing to look around in wonder. Zecora had continued deeper into her home, returning shortly with a teapot and two cups. She set them on the table and sat opposite of Twilight, giving her a friendly yet inquisitive look, and a welcoming smile graced her muzzle.

“I’ll do my best to play my part; what weighs so heavily on your heart? I trust that it’s not parasprites that brought you here for my insights – I’d heard that Pinkie Pie performed to drive them out when they had swarmed.” Her face adopted an amused look. “I was impressed that she would know an answer that was apropos. And surely I am not mistaken that your friendships stay unshaken. Perhaps, a potion you’d like to brew, on which I could teach a thing or two.”

Once again she smiled warmly, and closed her eyes as she shook her head at her random guesses. “But, I admit, I have digressed. What problems did you need addressed?”

Twilight sat dazed for a moment; the fluidity with which Zecora spoke had a mesmerizing quality to it that could quickly derail anypony’s train of thought. Returning to the moment and snapping out of her trance-like state, Twilight responded bluntly, contrasting greatly with the eloquence of the zebra’s patterned speech.

“Zecora, I came today because a friend of mine has a problem, and I was hoping you might be able to help. I’m not sure if you’ve met Derpy – she’s a new mailmare in Ponyville, and I’m sorry to say that even though she’s been in town for weeks, I’m the only friend she’s been able to make. She’s had a disability for almost her whole life; everypony has treated her miserably because of it, and they still tend to avoid her at best. I’m trying to find out if there’s any way to correct it, and I know that you’ve always been good with medicines of every kind.”

Zecora frowned, shaking her head with disappointment at Twilight’s description of Derpy’s plight. “Your friend, I fear, I’ve never met, though I may have the pleasure yet. Your care for her I see runs deep, if her joy you work so hard to keep. It’s truly sad to hear her fate, especially as it’s met with hate – I’d thought their lesson the town had learned, when my acceptance first was earned. So, what is this problem that we’re to mend if we are going to help your friend?”

Twilight fidgeted slightly. “Her disability is with her eyes; they’re crossed quite badly, and have been that way since she was a filly. It’s best to treat crossed eyes like hers right away, but they progressed so quickly that they were beyond help before they could do anything about it. She’s tried about everything she can think of to fix them, and I guess I’m the last hope she has to find a cure for them.”

The zebra nodded sagely as Twilight explained, and her face reflected deep thought. “To mend the problem at the source would have been the wisest course; though, this we cannot do, I fear – the sands of time have made that clear. I’d help your friend improve her view were it within my power to do, but this condition is not the kind that has a solution I can find.”

Twilight slumped slightly in her seat at the news. “Is there anything else you could think of, though? A potion or herbal remedy of some kind? I just can’t stand to see her looking so depressed all the time, and she needs more friends than only me.” She looked pleadingly to Zecora, desperation evident in her face.

“There are herbs that affect the eyes, but this should come as no surprise. Their uses, though, are kept constrained by just what heights can be attained.” Zecora gave Twilight a piercing look. “A brew for this I cannot mix, since standard illnesses they fix. To mend an ailment so obscure is something I cannot ensure.”

Zecora shook her head with a hint of sadness at the obvious disappointment this information caused Twilight. A smile graced her face once again, though, as she spoke with wisdom she was sure would bolster her friend’s spirits.

“It pains me to hear that your dear friend endures such hardship without end, but if my advice you truly seek, embrace the fact that she’s unique. Her sight does not define her heart, and with your help friendships will start. But still, her sight you may try to mend, so long as you remain her friend.”

Zecora’s words struck Twilight deeply; in all her studying and searching, she had lost sight of what sat at the core of her relationship with Derpy. She may not have found a solution, but she could still be the best friend that Derpy had, and Zecora was right – as long as she stuck by the pegasus’ side, she doubtless would make more friends eventually. A smile spread across her face as the sage’s words bolstered her spirit.

“Zecora, thank you so much… I completely forgot about what the most important part of my relationship with Derpy was. If I find an answer for her eyes, that’s great, but I’m not going to let that obscure our friendship.”

The sage bowed her head, pleased with the realization she had been able to help Twilight reach.

Twilight hesitated for a moment as a thought occurred to her. “Zecora, is there a chance you might be able to make a different type of potion for me? I doubt it’s something you’ve seen in your books, but with your knowledge of herbal uses, I still think you may be able to make it.”

Zecora listened intently as Twilight explained the idea, and her brow furrowed in thought before she nodded slowly.

“This is a strange request, no doubt, but surely one I can work out.”

Twilight smiled even more widely at the agreement from the zebra, and she almost knocked over the table in excitement.

“Thank you again, Zecora! I can’t tell you what this will mean to me, and I’m sure to Derpy. Do you think you would be able to mix it while I go out to leave her a message?”

The zebra nodded once again, though Derpy’s problem still weighed heavily on her heart, and Twilight’s inquiry caused her a tinge of worry about just how far the unicorn might go to find a solution. As Twilight turned to leave, Zecora found herself calling after the unicorn with a hint of trepidation in her voice.

“Be cautious of results you find – paths taken forth leave far more behind.”

Twilight stopped, slightly confused by the sudden advice, but still wearing a wide smile. “Thanks, Zecora, I’ll keep that in mind.” Leaving the zebra’s hut behind, she made her way toward the post office.

****************

Derpy had spent the majority of the day navigating the streets of Ponyville, delivering packages and parcels as normal, and nothing indicated that her day would be anything but mundane. The blandness of a routine workday had persisted without incident, and she returned to the post office at the end of her route.

Her arrival at the post office, however, brought with it a welcome change, lending an ever-increasing upswing to her mood. She found a piece of mail of her own waiting for her. Twilight had stopped by while she was out, leaving behind a concise note asking the pegasus to come by the library that evening, if she was available.

There was nothing else included in the message, leaving Derpy curious and excited as she wondered what it might be that Twilight wanted – not that it particularly mattered. Any reason to spend time with Twilight was a good enough reason for Derpy. She hurriedly put her mailbags down and left for the Golden Oaks Library with an extra spring evident in her step as she trotted along.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary as she neared the tree, but as she came closer she could hear bumps and crashes coming from inside. She reached the door just in time to hear a peal of laughter that could only have come from Spike. A curt and chiding voice followed shortly afterward, causing nothing but confusion to Derpy.

“Spike! This is not funny! Derpy’s coming over soon, this place looks like a disaster, and I think I’m on the verge of getting sick! Now get over here and help me!”

The laughter redoubled at the failed rebuke.

An aggravated groan was audible even from outside. “Fine. If I throw up all over the floor, though, you’re the one that’s going to be cleaning it up!”

Spike’s laughter died out instantaneously at the threat, only to be replaced by a resentful grumble.

Derpy took advantage of the slight pause in the argument and knocked on the door, though she wasn’t quite sure she wanted to know what was going on inside. Everything fell quiet for an instant before Twilight could be heard once again, her voice seeming almost frantic.

“Spike, she’s here! Oh, I forgot how quickly she gets done with work! I’ll get the door, you just keep cleaning! And fast!”

Derpy stared blankly at the door, entirely unsure of what to expect. If the loud crashes approaching the door were any indication, it likely wasn’t anything good. The door slowly opened, giving Derpy the chance to speak.

“If this isn’t a good time, Twilight, I can always come ba…” Her words trailed off into silence, though her jaw was left agape as she stared straight ahead at Twilight, who looked as embarrassed as she possibly could. The room behind her was an utter mess, with tables and chairs knocked over and books covering the floor. Derpy’s attention, however, had not strayed from Twilight’s face. At length, she found her voice.

“Twilight… What – what happened…” she nearly whispered, and her voice wavered as she raised a hoof and pointed. “What happened to your eyes?”

Twilight sat, smiling sheepishly as she stared back at Derpy – or at least attempted to – through a violet pair of beautiful, yet misaligned eyes, nearly identical to Derpy’s own.

“Come on in, and I’ll explain everything. Just don’t worry about me, okay?”

Derpy walked slowly past Twilight, who turned clumsily into the room herself, attempting to follow Derpy to the couch, though her path strayed much from the pegasus’. She walked in a zigzag of steps that took her through the remaining mess and directly into a wall, knocking more books to the floor.

Spike gave an irritated sigh and threw his claws to the air as he walked toward the door. “Why do I even bother? When you’re done demolishing the library, let me know. Until then, I’m going to go help Rarity. At least she doesn’t destroy what she makes after I help her with it.”

Twilight had heard none of Spike’s complaints, however. She was busy rebounding from her collision with the wall before slumping to the ground as Derpy rushed to her side, concern obvious in her voice.

“Twilight, are you alright?”

Twilight nodded awkwardly as her eyes appeared to roll around in her head.

“I’m fine, just a bit… unsteady. And dizzy. And feeling slightly sick.”

Derpy gave her a determined glare.

“Okay, so maybe I’m not fine. Do you think you could help me back to the couch?”

“Alright, Twilight. Hold on to me and I’ll guide you along.”

Slowly they made their way back to the couch, Derpy leading somepony else for the first time ever, while Twilight clung to her as though she were hanging on for dear life. Twilight plopped onto a cushion with a sigh as they finally arrived at the sofa, and Derpy took a seat next to her.

“Okay, Twilight, now what in Celestia’s name happened?” Derpy insisted.

Twilight adopted a slightly embarrassed look once again as she held her head in a hoof, trying to regain some sense of equilibrium.

“I actually asked Zecora to make me a potion that would make my eyes like yours for a little while… she was able to make a potion out of herbs that normally work to help improve eyesight mixed with Poison Joke to reverse the effect. It mimics how ponies with your condition see, and can be countered with the normal remedy for Poison Joke. I just didn’t expect the effect to be so… profound.” She gestured around the room at the mayhem she had wrought.

Derpy looked at her in disbelief. “Why in Equestria would you do that?” Her face lit instantaneously. “Does this mean you found a way that can help me see better?”

Twilight shook her head sadly, and though her sight was impossibly skewed she could still see the look of disappointment that washed over the pegasus. “I can’t find anything. I’m sorry, Derpy. I looked through as much as I could, and when I couldn’t find anything, I asked Zecora if there was a way she could help. I was hoping Zecora could create a medicine to make your eyes better, but she couldn’t. This potion simply imitates the condition, and it only makes eyesight worse, since Poison Joke simply works to impair or play tricks on ponies. Even if it did work to reverse sight from what it normally is, your case is far too advanced to be affected by the potion. It’s unlikely anything Zecora could have made would have even helped you when your problem first started, with how quickly it advanced. I just don’t think that there’s a way to improve your eyesight.” Twilight’s head drooped. “I’m sorry.”

Derpy looked at Twilight with a pained expression. “I wish there was something you could do; I know I really hoped, but deep down I think I was prepared if there wasn’t any solution.” She shook her own head in frustration. “But why did you do this to yourself in the first place, then? I wish it would help me, but if you knew from the start that it wouldn’t, what reason could you possibly have to make your eyes as bad as mine?”

Twilight groped forward until her hoof found Derpy, and pulled her in closely. “I wanted to get a chance to see the world like you do for a little while. I couldn’t truly tell what you’ve gone through and felt; you described it to me, and it helped me understand a little better. But, I wanted to know what your life was like, what you’ve adapted to. I wanted to experience it for myself so I could really appreciate you, appreciate how you’ve worked to improve yourself despite your eyesight.”

Twilight’s eyes loosely scanned the room as she looked around. “For a pony with normal sight to suddenly see like you do, it’s entirely debilitating. I could barely stand, let alone walk; I knocked over everything in my path, and I nearly gagged from the intense vertigo it caused. But you…” she tightened her grip, hugging Derpy closer. “You may be slightly clumsy, and not fly entirely straight, but you’ve adapted to it enough to function as well as anypony else. Right now, I can truthfully grasp how amazing you really are. Not only have you adjusted to your condition, you’ve come close to nullifying its effects while enduring agonizing emotions all the while.”

Twilight took Derpy’s face in her hooves, looking at her as best as she could. “I thought so before, but I’m absolutely certain, now – you really are an amazing pony, Derpy.”

Twilight couldn’t see well enough to be able to tell how Derpy took her speech, but the trembling she felt in her hooves, the dampness forming on her shoulder, and the pair of hooves that had clasped her back told her all she needed to know.