• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 21,640 Views, 1,030 Comments

Address Unknown - remedy



Derpy's suffered scorn for a mold she doesn't fit. Will a chance meeting change her life for the better?

  • ...
53
 1,030
 21,640

30. A New Beginning

Chapter 30 – A New Beginning

“You know, Twilight, I’ve been staying at the library so much that I almost forgot these existed at all. I’m sorry I never actually mentioned them; they kind of slipped my mind after we first met.”

Derpy smiled over at the shocked unicorn, who was gazing around the room in a mixture of wonder and bewilderment. The eye charts adorning Derpy’s room stared back at them, seeming to dare the ponies to take them down. Regardless of the eeriness of the makeshift shrine, it needed to be removed, and in Twilight’s mind, they couldn’t be removed fast enough.

“I just can’t believe you kept all these around for so many years…” she mused, glancing at the pegasus standing next to her.

Derpy nodded, but a smile crossed her face. “Well, there’s no need for them now, and we don’t want to make Cheerilee’s first class field trip here creepy.”

Twilight smiled as she began magically removing charts from every area of the wall she could. There had been an immense amount of progress in Derpy’s abilities over the months that had passed since the vision spell had succeeded, leading her to take part in far more jobs, athletics, and hobbies than she had ever thought was possible. Their current project was one Derpy had suggested, much to the delight of both Twilight and Cheerilee.

They had followed up on Twilight’s initial idea to move Derpy’s cloud home to the library, and the cloud home gently floating at the library’s balcony was a nice addition. The one thing they had not counted on, however, was that Derpy rarely used her home any more.

She had moved fully into the library, sharing Twilight’s bedroom, keeping an extra coat rack on the wall for her mailbags and hat, moving the remainder of her meager possessions over into the large tree, and selling anything she no longer needed for a few extra bits here and there.

The realization that she was no longer living in her old house, however, had sparked an idea in the pegasus while she was in one of her many flight lessons with Rainbow Dash. During one of their few breaks in training, Rainbow Dash had recounted the trip her friends had made to Cloudsdale, including the spell Twilight had found allowing non-pegasi to walk on clouds. The idea fully crystallized as she made her way home – she lived in Ponyville, where a majority of the population were not pegasi, and even less pegasi were being taught in the elementary school there.

Cheerilee had almost leapt from her seat when Twilight and Derpy approached her, suggesting the idea to permit field trips for her students to tour an actual cloud home – courtesy of one disused and highly accessible home at the library and a highly skilled unicorn who knew a spell to allow anypony to walk on clouds.

Twilight became even more excited at Derpy’s suggestion when she thought over the consequences of regular field trips – students would be given a rare chance to walk on clouds, and all the while they would be touring the library as well. It may even be possible for the students to be allowed to tour the cloud home outside of school trips, and for Twilight, the thought of attracting colts and fillies to the library of their own volition was nothing more than exhilarating.

Of course, this meant cleaning Derpy’s cloud completely for the students, but it was a short day’s work, considering most of her possessions had already been removed from the fluffy home. All that remained were the posters in Derpy’s room, and they were removed with a small amount of time and seemingly less effort.

The pair trotted back across the surface of the cloud, exiting Derpy’s old home and entering the library through the balcony. Derpy slowed, halting Twilight just inside the terrace and giving her a quick kiss on the tip of her muzzle.

“Thanks, Twi. You really made the job of cleaning up in there so much easier.”

Twilight grinned, returning the kiss, lingering slightly longer than Derpy had. “I doubt I made all that much of a difference. With the way your coordination, speed, and flight are improving, you’d have raced around the room about as fast as my magic did – you know my magic takes a bit more concentration and time now.”

That much was true. Though Twilight was still amazingly powerful, the portion of magic she had given Derpy made her reactions a bit slower, and some of the more strenuous spells took an immense amount of her energy. She would often be left feeling quite fatigued after such exertion.

Twilight pouted slightly, unsuccessfully trying to appear jealous. “You even rush through work so fast that sometimes I wonder if you get to spend more time with Fluttershy than with me.” Her pout broke out into a fit of giggles as Derpy rolled her eyes at the melodramatics.

“I don’t rush – I just get done fast.” Derpy countered. “You know as well as I do that I was fast before; now that I can see perfectly and I’ve improved athletically, it just goes by even more quickly.” She grinned. “Post Haste still isn’t thrilled that I turned down the position of assistant postmaster, but I like my job already, and I’m good at it.”

She paused, building a little tension in the silence. “Besides, then I get to spend all afternoon at Fluttershy’s cottage for tea, and Angel is so cute…”

Twilight gave Derpy a playful jab at the taunt, but she quickly returned to thoughtfulness, giving the pegasus an impressed look. “All joking aside, I’ve been watching all the activities you’ve done over the past few months, and I’ve never seen anypony make so much progress in so many areas. I really am proud of you.”

Derpy blushed at the compliment. It really was true that she had been extraordinarily busy, and she was enjoying every minute of it. To be honest, she was simply taking pleasure in learning many skills she never had the chance to learn before, and her passion for self-improvement made her strive for excellence in everything she did.

She ran a hoof down Twilight’s side, expertly finding the areas on the mare that were the most pleasurable, eliciting a shiver and soft moan from Twilight. The unicorn gave a relaxed sigh, melting onto Derpy’s shoulder as her knees buckled.

“Okay,” she said, speaking softly, “seriously, how did you learn to do that? I mean, when we first were together, you were an amazing lover, but now you can literally sap all my strength with a few simple touches. I know I gave you some of my magic, but that doesn’t explain how you can do that.” She poked Derpy softly. “It also doesn’t explain how you managed to get so good at cooking, either.”

Derpy shrugged and smirked a little. “I guess somepony’s tendency to obsess rubbed off on me a little.” She gave Twilight a peck to the forehead, as the unicorn looked back at her with amused skepticism.

“Okay, and maybe I’ve been studying and taking lessons, too,” Derpy finally admitted with a grin. She snickered a little at Twilight’s confused expression. “You know how we like to relax on the couch together with our books?”

Twilight nodded. It had become something of a nightly ritual for them. Twilight would lay across Derpy’s lap, levitating her own book above her while Derpy would read, resting her forehooves across Twilight’s belly. Occasionally her hooves trailed elsewhere, but that wasn’t what she was thinking about. At least, it hadn’t been until now. She grinned lazily, feeling her body warming up against the gray coat and feathers of her marefriend.

Derpy draped her wing over Twilight’s back, hugging her close. “Do you know what I’m usually reading?”

Twilight nodded once again. “Usually some fiction novels, and the occasional Daring Do book, when Rainbow Dash has the decency to return them.”

Derpy caught Twilight’s eyes and gave her a sly smirk. “Nope.”

She now had Twilight’s full attention, and confusion was written clearly over the unicorn's face.

“I was having some fun keeping it a secret. I’m usually studying massage techniques. I’ve been switching the jackets of the books so you wouldn’t notice.” Twilight nearly fell over in shock as Derpy continued, giggling throughout the exposure of her little secret.

“I usually ask Aloe and Lotus for tips when I’m at the spa with Rarity and Fluttershy, too. I had them Pinkie Promise that they wouldn’t tell you. They thought it was too funny keeping you in the dark about it, anyway.” A glint ran through her eyes. “And you can’t tell me you haven’t enjoyed the benefits of it.”

An involuntary shudder ran down Twilight’s spine as she thought about their many nights of passion and excitement; she couldn’t deny the fact that Derpy had far surpassed being a wonderful partner – she was an amazing partner. She shook her head slowly, nuzzling into Derpy’s neck.

“So, what other surprises are you keeping hidden from me?” Twilight jabbed jokingly.

“Hmm, what indeed…” Derpy swatted Twilight on the flank with her wing as she slowly started walking again, throwing a mysterious and mischievous glance over her shoulder at the unicorn. Twilight smirked at her marefriend’s coy behavior and walked along behind her.

“Well, the cooking part you can thank Spike and Pinkie for. Spike taught me your favorite dishes – I think it was fair enough of a tradeoff for us. He gave me lessons, and in return he gets to take breaks from having to cook so often. Pinkie…” she trailed off, giving a little giggle.

“It took me a fair bit of courage to ask Pinkie for lessons in baking, what with those horrendous muffins and all. But, she works at Sugarcube Corner, so I finally decided she must be at least good at baking other things.”

She glanced back at Twilight again. “And she did convince me to try a muffin she made, though it took her quite a bit of pleading. I’ll be honest – I was surprised, but it was amazingly good; nothing like those wormy nasty things she made the last time I had one of her muffins.”

Twilight giggled. “She really is amazing at making sweets and desserts; she does live and work with the Cakes, after all. It’s just that sometimes she can get a bit… adventurous. In her defense, though, those ‘wormy, nasty’ muffins were mostly Applejack’s doing.”

Derpy stopped cold at hearing that, turning around quickly with a look of astonishment. “How in Equestria was Applejack responsible for those… things?”

Now it was Twilight’s turn to burst into laughter. “It was in the middle of Applebuck season, Derpy. She was so exhausted that she didn’t know which way was up, and she just happened to have promised to help Pinkie bake muffins around that time. I don’t think you were in the same hospital wing as she was, but you were probably just as sick as Pinkie was from those monstrosities. I still don’t know how Spike kept eating them.” She stuck out her tongue and grimaced in disgust.

Derpy looked thoughtful for a moment, recognition dawning on her slowly. “Now that you mention it, I do remember Pinkie saying something at the award ceremony about Applejack helping her bake.” She facehooved at the thought.

“I definitely owe Pinkie an apology, then,” she said sheepishly, though her face suddenly regained its mischievous grin. “And I owe Applejack some extra teasing the next time I’m helping out at Sweet Apple Acres.”

Her grin widened as an idea occurred to her. “Maybe I could tell her that her cute little doctor guy developed an allergy to apples.”

Twilight looked skeptical, but still laughed. “You mean Sterling? I don’t think she’d fall for that. They started going out just after he started studying your cutie mark – he’s probably eaten more apples in the last couple weeks than you have in your entire life.”

Derpy seemed to deflate slightly, and she and Twilight resumed walking back through the library. “You’ll have to help me come up with a better prank then, Twi.”

Twilight giggled. “I guess I will – just give me a while to think on it.” She cast a sidelong glance at Derpy, her gaze lingering over the light glow of the magic that showed in the pegasus’ cutie mark. “Are you going to start getting ready for the celebration that Pinkie Pie put together for us tonight? I still want to see that formal dress Rarity made for you.”

Derpy gave her a sly grin. “Good things come to those who wait, Twi. I’m not putting it on until we’re ready to go, just to increase the suspense, but she made it the most gorgeous shade of arctic blue to contrast my mane, with pale orchid accents and mane clips.”

Derpy smirked as Twilight’s eyes glazed over slightly as she tried to imagine the mastery of Rarity’s fashion combined with the beauty of her pegasine lover.

Her smile softened, and she brushed past Twilight seductively, tickling the unicorn’s muzzle with the tip of her tail as she passed. “I’m going to start my letter to Princess Celestia. You know I still don’t do very well with writing them; I just can’t seem to feel comfortable sending reports to the princess. It will still probably take me at least a couple re-writes this time.”

Twilight sighed, walking past Derpy as the pegasus stopped at a desk to retrieve a pencil and some parchment.

“Alright, Derpy, if you say so. If you’re going to write that letter to the princess, I’m going to go take a shower to get ready for tonight. Does that sound like a plan?”

Derpy looked up from the seat she had taken, pencil already held at the ready in her mouth. She gave a quick nod and a muffled ‘mmhmm’. She looked back down to the parchment as Twilight wandered off toward the bathroom. Her brow knitted in concentration as she tried to come up with an eloquent way to describe how Twilight had just recently proposed to her, and her heart skipped a beat as she remembered the moment with deep emotion. She set her pencil to the parchment.


Dear Princess Celestia,

I am writing to you today because yesterday Twilight gave the most beautiful gesture of friendship I have ever rece-------------------


Derpy’s pencil skidded across the page as she fell victim to a playful tackle from Twilight, who had decided to pounce on her fianceé rather than head to the bathroom.

Twilight looked down at the pegasus who was laying beneath her on the floor with a stunned expression etched on her face and a broken off eraser still clenched in her mouth. Twilight brushed the eraser aside and followed the move quickly with a deeply passionate kiss. She then lifted her partner to her hooves, giving her a playful rub over the shimmering cutie mark.

“Come on,” she purred. “Letters can wait, and the shower’s big enough for two.”

Derpy recovered quickly from the surprise and trotted off happily after Twilight, a warm flush creeping over her. She had a feeling this would be a long, long shower.

Author's Note:

Thank you all for reading! I hope you enjoyed reading the story as much as I enjoyed writing it!

I'd also like to give a big thank you to slip_stitch for this picture she made of Derpy's transformed cutie mark. Thanks so much!

Comments ( 207 )

Damn, a good story closes like a book. A well-written one, might I add. Slip_stitch, good job with Derp's awesome cutie mark.

Dude I've been reading this since the start. This is one of the best Derpy shipping stories I've ever read, maybe the best. You really are a great writer and I award you this:

whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Wwe_title_copia.png

Can't wait to see more work from you!

Woo and Bravo! :rainbowkiss:

2174848

Ahh. Doesn't flow well =/

Damn, it's over already, but I guess all good things must come to an end, eh? Amazing story though, I'm glad you followed through with it.

I'm almost sad to see it end.

But then again, I can always re-read it.

Where is the image slip_stitch made? I've seen references to it in the comments but I haven't found it yet Dx

Wait....two more chapters..THE LAST TWO D= I see the "Complete" logo and I frown.

Whelp, time to read

Knew the thing with AJ and the younger doctor was gonna happen.
All in all this fic was:i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/334/198/ff1.png
Will try to make a indepth comment on the fic later

You know I'm usually disappointed when a story ends, mostly because I want more, and while I wouldn't mind more of this in any shape or form really;it's just that this story was one of those few stories that ends on a perfect note. I had such a great time reading this and, even though it's clicheish to say by this point, if I could give this more than one like or favorite I would. I wholeheartedly would. Great story, I say again, and it makes really great brain bleach when I'm trying to forget a group of stories that have lodged themselves in my brain for being terrible in different fashions.

Commence read.

Nicely done story.

Thank you.

Nice to see a good story end and not drag on forever. Loved all of it!

2175549 Heh, I suppose the main reason I had the rest of them show up was because it was an important moment, so I figured they'd want to share it together. Caught you with the little connection I had in the title! If friendship is magic, then Twi shared... :raritywink:

Twerpy? Interesting ship, haven't seen. Will try.

Hmm how bout a sequel I got some good ideas for it.:twilightsmile: Reply if you're interested, otherwise i have to keep them to myself.:fluttershysad:

Such a cute ending... :twilightsmile:

Done? Already? It feels like I was just waiting for chapter 4 to come out...
Oh well, it was amazing while it lasted- wait, it's still here, so the fun never ends! HA!

AHHH!!! you gave us a picture! you so freaking rock!

... DANG that was a good pic! XD Slip_Stitch did an AMAZING job!

Oh. Right. And good fic, too, I guess. X3

So it finally ends... Oh well time to hit the shower! :raritywink:

.... ..... ....wow... ... ....:rainbowderp:

It's so sad that this is the end of the story, I hope Derpy has her foals.:raritycry:
Romantic and playful with burning pony passion.:derpytongue2::twilightsmile:
Trollestia before a happy ending, silly.:trollestia:
Totally worth a reread gentlemen.:rainbowkiss:

Remedy. I am proud to say that I have stuck through this entire story. You have indeed made me very happy with this ending. It was very well done. The entire story was very well written. You have shown what a truly excellent writer is. When you start writing more stories I will be attacking them like a parasprite attacks food. Now then, keep being awesome.

Signed,
Ambro

:twilightsmile: This has been a very cute, and very well written story. Bravo! :derpytongue2:

Now that the story is over, I voice my thought. I honestly though the last bubble was going to be Dinky. If you are at all interested in writing a sequel, I think that it would be interesting if that Derpy and Twilight had a foal that turned out to be Dinky. I mean, both Dinky and Twilight are purple unicorns. Just a thought. Loved this story, it was one of the best I have read in recent times.

I'm not crying because the story is done...I just have something in my eyes! Very nice story!

Jesus, normally I have stuff to talk about at the end of a long story like this, but this time I don't, solely for the purpose that this story was just DAMN GOOD. DAMN DAMN DAMN GOOD GOOD DAMN DAMN. GOOD. You are a wonderful writer and thismasterpiece of a story that you've woven is definintly one of the best I've read. You may now feel proud. ;)

Loved it, loved it, loved it. This has been an amazing journey Remedy, thank you for sharing it with us. That being said I know I'm not the only one who's hoping to see more of you in the (hopefully) very near future. Be it a sequel of some kind or something new entirely please keep the creative juices flowing, got a home run of a first story here. Cheers mate!:twilightsmile::derpytongue2::yay:

That ending was sweet enough to require insulin shots :heart:
congrats on an awesome story :twilightsmile:

It's pretty amazing that we (well, you) can make a character named Derpy so relatable, mature and interesting. :derpytongue2:

I really liked the story as a whole but the ending was a disappointment for me, Twilight basically giving herself a handicap to fix Derpy's problem.. it just does not seem quite right in my eyes.. Especially seeing as she is the element of Magic. lets take away a part of her talent, that will surely not impact very sourly on her life.....:applejackunsure:

Still, overall it was a good read

2176922>>2176833 Believe it or not, that's how I originally wrote it. :pinkiegasp: Having Twilight cast the spell felt more personal, though. When I had Celestia written in it just seemed like a deus ex machina type ending. :facehoof:

Whelp, here it is. The End. The final chapter. "A New Beginning"; way to tease me for reading this to the END ;~; I want mooooooooore <3 Also, I keep seeing positive comments on Slip's drawing of Derpy's cutie mark; where is it?!?!?

I forgot about the eye charts, and I do love the symbolism of the two mares taking them down once and for all...and I like how Twilight's creeped out by them, haha!

Ah, so a timeskip of a few months. This is rather nice, actually. Briefly mentioning little things like the flight lessons with Rainbow Dash, another thing I had forgotten, and using that passed time to allow all the nooks and crannies to fill in themselves.

Oooh, Haste offered her a promotion and she turned it down? Good! He was probably going to, like, poison her or something. This is the end chapter and I still don't like him.

“I guess somepony’s tendency to obsess rubbed off on me a little.”

Cute, very cute. Cute as a cutie mark, even xD

“Maybe I could tell her that her cute little doctor guy developed an allergy to apples.”

Well now, color me surprised. Some flirtsy became some dating. Well good for AJ. She needs a man in her life, and it might as well be a smarty pants doctor man who can intellectually challenge her since we know nopony could physically challenge her, haha!

"Most beautiful gesture of friendship-" After all that, what could have just happened YESTERDAY that is more-...ohhhh. Fiance. I think I get it =p

Ahhhh, and the picture is there at the end. Beautiful picture.

Whelp, story's over. I'm sitting here feeling emotionally content and yet I want more. But this is as good an ending as can be hoped for, and I feel like more would just tarnish the story (Though I wouldn't be opposed to a sequel =p )

I loved the story and now I love Twiderp (Derplight?). This is easily one of the best- if not the best- romantic stories I have encountered and I hope whatever critiques and complaints I've made during the duration do not mask my overall opinion of this excellent literary work. This story will forever be in my heart and shall serve as inspiration in my own works for years to come.

Thank you for sharing such beauty with me and with the world.

*Applause*

Short version: Best. Thing. Ever.
Long version: THAT WAS THE BEST DERPY SHIPFIC EVER!
...Well, I've got to admit that it would have made a lot more sense to have Celestia cast the spell herself, but Rule Of Drama, toussa toussa... I think you should have at least had Celestia suggest to do it herself, before Twilight stops her saying that she wants to do it as a gift for Derpy after everything she's done for her.
Aside from that little detail, everypony was in-character, your portrayal of Derpy is adowable, I really like your Celestia (concerned for her ponies, a bit mischievous and overall very motherly toward everypony, especially Twilight. I like how you made her leave before she couldn't hold the mask and joined the group hug^^), your take on Derpy's cutie mark is brilliant (even better than my "World of Bubbles" idea that made her Supermare :p) and said Cutie Mark looks positively heartwarming.

Kudos to you, and as we say in my country: Chapeau bas, l'artiste!

glad i read this fic it hit me in the feels many times!

cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24450906.jpg I would like to concrabulate you on a job well done, I can happily say this is one of the best fanfictions I have seen in a long time,
Have some sexy rainbowdash oi46.tinypic.com/25z56k4.jpg

Excellent! I just have one thing to say though. I WANT TO SEE TWILIGHT AND DERPY'S WEDDING!!!!!!:flutterrage:

I think this is the best Derpy fic I have read yet. I loved it, and it is so beautiful.:pinkiesmile:

It's over? :fluttercry:

Well, it was fun while it lasted. And thanks for the great (and sad) roller coaster of feels. This has been a great story! :heart:
I might be even stay turned for what you might have planned for next :pinkiehappy:

Damn you~. AJ and Dash seemed to be getting along so well, I was hoping for something there. Curse that random doctor! :flutterrage:

But yay at the rest. :pinkiehappy: Derpy and Twi are doing well, and everything is sorted out. Enjoyable read, except for that one little detail~ :rainbowlaugh:

I'll say it shortly.
Sir, this is... a fucking masterpiece.

Thank you.

Fluffy. Twick, twick, the window patter.

Why do good things have to end? :ajsleepy:
Great story, loved it all the way along! :pinkiehappy:
Sequel? :twilightblush:

Not enough thumbs! Great story! :pinkiehappy:

The soft and fuzzy feels! They squirm under my skin and make me shudder in approval. you have made me fall in love with this ship. its just..its so...gah! You write it soi well! Its believable! Now i have to find more Twerpy stories to soothe the ache inside for more and more. curses be to you for plaguing me with this Twerpy affliction, and praises be to you for capturing it so fantastically. one of the few to make me cry and enjoy and appreciate my own life numerous times over. instta-fave and liked to the thousandth degree.
i just kindly ask...MOAR TWERPY PLEEEZE! :flutterrage:
and that wedding! If..that's okay with you..:fluttercry:

2177075 HEY... You're right, can't argue that. Things were different back then, and Derpy isn't easy like Juliet was. They DID die though, so...
Actually, now that I think it over this is really slow.

Brilliant, Brilliant, BRILLIANT!
This story is truly one of the greatest fanfictions that I have ever read, bravo sir, bravo!
Very well written and descriptive...it kind of makes me want to experience love for myself, but that probably won't happen for a few more years :raritycry:
But still, awesome, my favorite fanfiction, ever. I will be recommending this to EVERYONE!
Again, bravo, again, brilliant. Best fanic ever, I loved it, and I love you.
GOOD JOB!
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Comment posted by fatalerror328 deleted Feb 26th, 2013

Seeeeeequeeeeeel...I demnad a sequel!

2185522

The Spell had failsafes incase anything goes wrong thus making the issues with the other non-existent. And possibly the only reason it is not in practice for cases like Derpy's is because what doctor is going want to permanently give up a bit of their magic to some random patient who didn't have their condition treated when they were still young and didn't require such a drastic treatment.

Excellent, just excellent. Although, a sequel would be nice, I just don't know what is left to do with one. Maybe a set of side stories, like for special occasions. OOH I know do a side story about Twi and Derpy's wedding! Just some food for thought.:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment