• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 3,385 Views, 208 Comments

The Jackelope Valley Festival - Froborr



Lunaverse story. Lyra and Raindrops go to a music festival and find themselves racing against time.

  • ...
5
 208
 3,385

Two: The Ballad of Jackelope Valley

The train barreled along under a bright blue sky, the sun blazing gold at the peak of its climb. In the second-class sleeper car, two unicorns and a pegasus shared a compartment.

Raindrops blinked. "Um, curse? I thought--"

"That there's no such thing? There isn't," said Lyra. "It's just a story, and maybe a bit of old magic."

Vinyl Scratch grinned. "Real old magic."

Lyra sighed. "Look, if we're going to talk about this at midday, can we at least close the shades?"

Raindrops shrugged and pulled the shades closed, plunging the compartment into cool shadow.

Lyra concentrated, her horn glowing briefly. Displaced air bamfed quietly as her lyre disappeared from her bag and appeared floating between her front hooves.

"Ooh, nifty trick," said Vinyl Scratch.

Lyra strummed her instrument, thinking. "There's an old song about it," she said. "I memorized it for Traditional Ballads freshman year, and then made an illusion spellsong for it the next year. I haven't practiced it in years, but let's see how much I can remember..." The mint-colored unicorn began to sing along to the lyre's accompaniment, sweet but sad.

In days of old when Sun and Moon
Were sources of our hope
Before the Sun betrayed us all
There lived the jackelope

The lord of fire in the earth
And earth beneath the sea
Of water in the airs above
The beast in you and me

"I didn't know you played folk," said Vinyl Scratch. "Thought you were all hoity-toity about classical."

Lyra shrugged. "Folk is where classical came from. Besides, I love music, and I love old legends, why wouldn't I love the combination of the two?"

She played two themes at once, one slow and stately, the other quick and shy. They should not have harmonized as well as they did. "The jackelopes, according to legend, were half deer, half rabbit. The song tells that their buck was one of the oldest and wisest animals in the world, with great power over the magic of blended things--combinations that shouldn't work, but do. Like how water can float in the air as clouds, even though water's heavier than air."

Raindrops snorted. "No, every pegasus learns that in weather kindergarten! See, the water droplets--"

Lyra shook her head. "No, I meant, you know, symbolically."

Raindrops frowned. "This is a poetry thing, isn't it?" Lyra shrugged, and Raindrops sighed. "Okay, go on. Where's this curse come in?"

"I'm getting to that," said Lyra. "See, when the three tribes came together to found Equestria, the legend says they went to the jackelopes for advice. Mixing things that didn't belong together, you see?"

"It's like, what the jackelope's all about," said Vinyl Scratch, to Lyra's surprise. "Before, nobody ever thought of making a country with more than one kind of pony. But now, it's hard to think how any country could work without all three."

"Well... yes, exactly," Lyra continued. "Nobody knows what the jackelopes told them, but it worked, and in return they decreed that the most beautiful valley in Equestria would belong to the jackelopes forever."

"And that's Jackelope Valley?" asked Raindrops. "Where we're headed?"

Vinyl grinned. "Oh yeah. It's totes gorgeous. Big pretty lake, hella flowers. You can totally get your nature on."

Lyra sighed. "Well, that's what they say it used to be like." She began to play two new themes, one brash and bright, the other cool and soft. They passed in orderly cycle, taking turns stepping forward as the melody or back as the harmony.

Lyra's horn glowed, adding just a touch of magic to the music, and in her mind's eye Raindrops saw them, the white and gold alicorn of Day and the black and purple alicorn of Night. Beneath them spread the round, placid lake and peaceful meadows of Jackelope Valley. Day and night cycled, centuries passing, but the valley remained unchanged and untouched. "Oh," said Raindrops, guessing what was coming.

Slowly at first, and then faster and faster, the Sun theme slid out of sync, trying to drown out the Moon theme and take over the song. But the Moon held its ground, and finally the Sun theme lashed out in a violent clash, only for the paired jackelope themes to return.

Down came the Sun on that sweet vale
To ask the Buck a boon
"Tell me the truth, o creature: how
Can Sun absorb the Moon?

No answer gave the jackelope
The Sun pressed him in vain
Enraged at last she flew aloft
To bring down heaven's flame

The four themes twined together, and Raindrops saw Luna, her wings spreading wider and wider, great shadows of night that enfolded the entire valley--but fire stormed down from the sun and burned through her wings. The Moon theme faltered, and the jackelope themes sobbed softly as the Sun theme rampaged over them. The valley shriveled and burned, the lake boiling, the flowers and grasses consumed in the blaze. At last the torrent of flame ended, leaving a desolate waste, and the Sun theme faded away. All that remained of the music was a soft, mournful echo of the jackelope's themes, now broken apart and dying away.

Where once was meadow desert lies
No life, no rain, no hope
Yet we still sing who still recall
And mourn the jackelope

Raindrops settled back on her haunches as Lyra put down her lyre. "And we're going to this place... why, exactly?"

"Oh, the whole curse thing is just a legend," said Lyra. "No one's ever seen a jackelope, and there's no mention of them in any record until the first performance of the ballad three hundred years ago. The valley's probably named for some old Buffalo word, and then somepony thought it sounded like a cross between antelope and jackrabbit, so they made up a critter."

"I dunno," said Vinyl. "I've been there. There's something weird about that place. They say pegasi try to bring in clouds, so the festival would have water, y'know? But the clouds just dissolve as soon as they bring them in the valley, or this invisible wall thing stops them from coming in at all. And it seriously never rains. There's this little muddy patch at the bottom of the valley, and that's it. No water anywhere else in the place--and that patch gets smaller every time I go!"

Lyra shrugged. "It's right on the edge of the southern desert, it should be dry. Anyway, doesn't really matter whether the story's true, the point is it gives the festival its theme: Mixing things that don't go together. In this case, every kind of music there is, from traditional folk music," she lifted her lyre again, "to classical compositions, jazz, you name it. Even, apparently, crystalcore."

Raindrops grinned. "Like the DAUGHTERS of DISCORD!" she whooped. "This is going to be seriously epic!"

Vinyl Scratch grinned. "And with the low turnout, there might be a chance... nah, forget I said anything."

Lyra frowned and pondered that a moment. Before she could ask what Vinyl Scratch meant, however, Raindrops spoke up.

"I can see what you mean, though," the pegasus said. "Even if the curse is just a legend, with Corona back it's a little creepy to go somewhere she's supposed to have hated."

"Meh," said Vinyl Scratch. "Don't tell me you believe that old mare's tale!"

Raindrops sputtered. "You're the one who brought up the curse in the first place!"

"Sh'yeah, I don't mean the curse, R. That's real. I mean that whole evil-sun-princess-back-from-the-dead thing, obviously.'

Lyra could only stare, while Raindrops sputtered more. "But, we... you... We fought her! I know you saw it, you were there!"

Vinyl Scratch shrugged. "If I believed everything I saw, I'd be crazy," she said.

Lyra buried her face in her hooves as Raindrops tried to argue with Vinyl. This is going to be a long trip... she thought.